Stokes and Dolson headline U.S. women's select team | The Boneyard

Stokes and Dolson headline U.S. women's select team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
what kind of drugs are they on, missing Nneka again???? Parker is probably not a future Olympian, but really? All I can think is that she didn't agree to it?

Reaction Score
what kind of drugs are they on, missing Nneka again???? Parker is probably not a future Olympian, but really? All I can think is that she didn't agree to it?

Maybe they declined??

Reaction Score
Copy that!

Reaction Score
What, no Parker on the select team ?
I'm outraged.

She will be on the deselect team.....they will play in the loser's bracket.

All kidding aside way to go Kiah Stokes!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kiah and Stef. I'm also a bit surprised Tiff Hayes was not asked to be part of it, but more shocked that Nneka was left off the team. Only thing I can think of is that she declined. Also, what about Tolliver? Vandersloot? McBride? Did you know Hayes is #11 in the league in scoring this year? And McBride is in the top 10.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
It is possible that a player was offered a spot and declined. USAB wouldn't necessarily promote that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kiah and Stef. I'm also a bit surprised Tiff Hayes was not asked to be part of it, but more shocked that Nneka was left off the team. Only thing I can think of is that she declined. Also, what about Tolliver? Vandersloot? McBride? Did you know Hayes is #11 in the league in scoring this year? And McBride is in the top 10.
McBride is out for the season injured, Vandersloot has been struggling with injuries this year and would probably have declined. I think a lot of players are looking forward to a month break from competition - and their teams are probably very happy not to have them involved. Would not be surprised if the Sparks team members are 'showing solidarity' and focusing on fitness for the second half of the WNBA season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That would be MY guess. Parker's thinking: "If I'm not good enough to be on the 12 man squad, why bother to waste my time with the select team? I'd rather use this time to rest (recover from any nagging injuries if any), attend our "full" team practices,
and spend some extra time with my family" before play resumes on August 26 in Seattle against the Storm. Query....What would it benefit Parker (at this point) to participate with the select team?

Reaction Score
1. Kelsey Bone must have impressed the selectors with her rebounding kills and team-spirit.:confused:
2. Tiffany Mitchell ahead of Jefferson - is two the limit for UCONN players making the team? Or is it because Mitchell is representing SCAR?

Reaction Score
1. Kelsey Bone must have impressed the selectors with her rebounding kills and team-spirit.:confused:
2. Tiffany Mitchell ahead of Jefferson - is two the limit for UCONN players making the team? Or is it because Mitchell is representing SCAR?
Sims is the only real point guard on the select squad, the others are shooters, Moriah has played well enough to be invited.

Reaction Score
Like others I suspect these are the players who agreed to come with no mention of those who declined. I would have liked to have seen Moriah invited as I think Team USA will soon need another "pass first" PG (And I doubt she declined). But I think she can also use the rest and time to practice with her team.

Reaction Score
Hayes plays for Azerbaijan

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
What, no Parker on the select team ?
I'm outraged.

I'm more outraged that MoJeff isn't on the team. What gives? I see her as a future Olympian, but does she have a path to the Olympics if she's not on this team?:(

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Tiffany Mitchell - Shooting Guard/Wing
Moriah Jefferson - Point Guard

Mitchell may occasionally bring the ball up the court but she is DEFINITELY NOT a point guard, she's not even a 1-2 combo guard. Maybe you actually meant "Odyssey Sims ahead of Jefferson"...

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm actually surprised both Powers and Mitchell made the team.. they essentially play the same position with a few differences, Mitchell is the better defensive player and Powers has the ability to play 'bigger'... like a SF.

I like Powers and I would like to see both become future Olympians.. both have improved far more than I would've expected upon entering the WNBA.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Stokes can continue to improve her offense I see her as a serious candidate for the 2020 Olympics. The US will want post players whose strength is posting up and not so much ones that can step away from the basket to shoot as that role will be filled by the forwards.

I think Sims will likely be one of the new PGs on the 2020 with Jefferson, Diggins and Alexis Jones as strong candidates. Yes, Alexis Jones, who is going to be the best PG in the nation this season, IMO. She has many of the same qualities that Sims has, one of which is strength. Diggins and Jefferson don't have the same strength but bring quickness. Any PG selected needs to be able to score if needed or pass first if needed. I suspect that whichever PGs are selected will play the role that the coaching staffs asks of them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Stokes can continue to improve her offense I see her as a serious candidate for the 2020 Olympics. The US will want post players whose strength is posting up and not so much ones that can step away from the basket to shoot as that role will be filled by the forwards.

I think Sims will likely be one of the new PGs on the 2020 with Jefferson, Diggins and Alexis Jones as strong candidates. Yes, Alexis Jones, who is going to be the best PG in the nation this season, IMO. She has many of the same qualities that Sims has, one of which is strength. Diggins and Jefferson don't have the same strength but bring quickness. Any PG selected needs to be able to score if needed or pass first if needed. I suspect that whichever PGs are selected will play the role that the coaching staffs asks of them.
Come on! Alexis Jones a strong candidate for 2020? Are you talking US Olympic team? Alexis Jones is going to be the best PG in the nation this season? Where did Alexis Jones finish in the Lieberman voting last year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm actually surprised both Powers and Mitchell made the team.. they essentially play the same position with a few differences, Mitchell is the better defensive player and Powers has the ability to play 'bigger'... like a SF.

I like Powers and I would like to see both become future Olympians.. both have improved far more than I would've expected upon entering the WNBA.
These selections are Geno being tactical IMO. In Powers, Mitchell, Loyd , Copper, & Sims the select team is about as athletic as can be on the wing/guard positions. DT, Bird, Whalen, Angel, Maya, & Simone are going to have to hustle to defend on the perimeter. If they can defend these young guns the Olympic will likely be easier. If USA can't defend these young guns Geno may have to make an adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom