OT: Stock trading | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
And so many people don't understand that there is no requirement for the market to in any way reflect reality.

When I tell people I bought airlines or was considering getting into cruise lines, they all said "but who's traveling now?" And that is absolutely the wrong question. It's mostly speculation and hope (or fear).

Airlines were badly oversold in March and may be overbought now. They will probably come back in the long term, but there could be better opportunities elsewhere or even in the same stocks over the next few months.
When the travel bans are lifted, my guess is they will regain about a third of their pre-pandemic value. The question is will that be before or after a vaccine?

Reaction Score
Oh, not at all. This is my speculation money, maybe 1-2% of my portfolio.

My actual investing I'm putting into funds (mutual, index, bond).

Totally get it then.

It is fun...…:)

Reaction Score
Sold UAL and DAL after coming back a bit from lows this morning, at gains of about 40% over 2 months. Would have been close to 70% had I sold on Monday, but I'm satisfied banking the wins here. I don't see much more upside in the big airlines right now. Holding LUV as a hedge, and since it seems better positioned long term.
Awesome, congrats. I sold my small amount of UALtoday that I picked up last week at 34. I’m only in tech now, MSFT, Tesla and Amazon are flying again.Also added to Grub Hub position after hours to hopefully pick up 11 points after merger. Microsoft just broke out today, I recommend it to anyone interested in big cap tech. Would not be surprised to see it at 210 soon.

Reaction Score
Today....well this morning anyway.....I am a great investor! Everyone should just give me their money and I'll only charge like a 5% management fee. Just PM me and I will provide you wire instructions. I don't provide investment memorandums btw...…..I'm that good!

I'm reducing my management fee...…….oofa!

Reaction Score
Awesome, congrats. I sold my small amount of UALtoday that I picked up last week at 34. I’m only in tech now, MSFT, Tesla and Amazon are flying again.Also added to Grub Hub position after hours to hopefully pick up 11 points after merger. Microsoft just broke out today, I recommend it to anyone interested in big cap tech. Would not be surprised to see it at 210 soon.

Doesn’t get much better than MSFT, TSLA, and AMZN. TSLA I truly believe will hit at least $5K within a couple years.

Reaction Score
Today was a good day to be sitting with a lot of cash. Put a chunk into my daughter's 529.

Gonna wait and see if the selloff continues and maybe get back into it, eyeing HAL and Citi, both of which took a beating for a few days.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Today was a good day to be sitting with a lot of cash. Put a chunk into my daughter's 529.

Gonna wait and see if the selloff continues and maybe get back into it, eyeing HAL and Citi, both of which took a beating for a few days.

Idk if I should get greedy or fill out my positions now

Reaction Score
FB_IMG_1587391315539.jpg

Reaction Score
Guys. Market is over bought. Fed stimulus has inflated asset prices short term and the price is not indicative of the economic reality out there.

Easy money is all this i. Easy come, easy go. If you got in at the nadir, I am telling u if you have a short to medium term horizon...sell it all. Hedge your gains with a short position. The market has gone haywire.

fed sees 9.3 unemployment at year end. There is no way current asset prices reflect that economic projection.

Reaction Score
Guys. Market is over bought. Fed stimulus has inflated asset prices short term and the price is not indicative of the economic reality out there.

Easy money is all this i. Easy come, easy go. If you got in at the nadir, I am telling u if you have a short to medium term horizon...sell it all. Hedge your gains with a short position. The market has gone haywire.

fed sees 9.3 unemployment at year end. There is no way current asset prices reflect that economic projection.
If you are taking any kind of advice from me, you are nuts. I don’t take my advice. I am telling you, flat out,the more I learn about the market the less confident I am in my views.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Oh, not at all. This is my speculation money, maybe 1-2% of my portfolio.

My actual investing I'm putting into funds (mutual, index, bond).
You would call me a nutcase. I have about 30% in the market - individual stocks. I'm all about that rollercoaster life!

the Q

Reaction Score
You would call me a nutcase. I have about 30% in the market - individual stocks. I'm all about that rollercoaster life!

Not only that but those funds absolute tear into your earnings 1% turns into 20% by the time you actually retire

Reaction Score
Every time I’m ONE more good day from cashing out days like today happen. My tech stuff was holding up extremely well the first few hours, then the babies, bath water, kitchen sink all got thrown out. Didn’t expect to see Facebook, Microsoft, Beyond Meat and a few others sell off quite as much as they did though. Today was equal to about 5 bad days. I’d settle for a modest rebound tomorrow heading into the weekend.

the Q

Reaction Score
Every time I’m ONE more good day from cashing out days like today happen. My tech stuff was holding up extremely well the first few hours, then the babies, bath water, kitchen sink all got thrown out. Didn’t expect to see Facebook, Microsoft, Beyond Meat and a few others sell off quite as much as they did though. Today was equal to about 5 bad days. I’d settle for a modest rebound tomorrow heading into the weekend.

And I need one more blood bath to fill my OZK position.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You will go NUTS trying to time the market. My approach is buy, buy, buy, and hold, hold, hold...for years. It accumulates and gives you the chance to take bigger opportunities down the road. Through this approach, I was able to go back to school and earn a degree (investing in myself), and my wife and I used Apple to make an offer on a condo. We put a chunk of our wedding money into Apple in 2013, at around $90, and sold out in November 2019. Both of these are the "bigger opportunities."

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
You will go NUTS trying to time the market. My approach is buy, buy, buy, and hold, hold, hold...for years. It accumulates and gives you the chance to take bigger opportunities down the road.

Yeah. If I can get at least a 5% yield I’m taking that and letting dividend growth do the rest of the work for me.

Reaction Score
You will go NUTS trying to time the market. My approach is buy, buy, buy, and hold, hold, hold...for years. It accumulates and gives you the chance to take bigger opportunities down the road. Through this approach, I was able to go back to school and earn a degree (investing in myself), and my wife and I used Apple to make an offer on a condo. We put a chunk of our wedding money into Apple in 2013, at around $90, and sold out in November 2019. Both of these are the "bigger opportunities."
That’s a great story and I don’t disagree. I’m going long too. I just expected a buying opportunity like today and wanted to liquidate first. Made some good gains the past couple months with more speculative stuff and going long with more proven big tech names now.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
That’s a great story and I don’t disagree. I’m going long too. I just expected a buying opportunity like today and wanted to liquidate first. Made some good gains the past couple months with more speculative stuff and going long with more proven big tech names now.
All in on FAANG?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom