Still proud of this team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Still proud of this team

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, but they were up 9 late in this game and decided to stop playing offense and defense.

That one is hard to swallow.
When you say they DECIDED to stop playing offense and defense, you're basically saying they quit. That's a pretty classy statement. And you call yourself a UConn supporter?

Reaction Score
When you say they DECIDED to stop playing offense and defense, you're basically saying they quit. That's a pretty classy statement. And you call yourself a UConn supporter?
No, I’m saying they got outscored 26-12 in the final 8 minutes because they went away from doing everything that got them there.

Stop overthinking things.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think the big surprise is (in terms of points, rebounds. and assists), both Shepard and Turner had better stat lines than Collier.

I don’t understand how Ogunbowale, for the third FF game in a row, has a terrible first half, then cannot miss.
Only her second in a row, the 2017 Final Four was UConn, Miss St, Stanford, and SC, with SC winning it all by beating Miss St in the Championship game 67 - 55.

Reaction Score
No, I’m saying they got outscored 26-12 in the final 8 minutes because they went away from doing everything that got them there.

Stop overthinking things.
You said they DECIDED to stop playing O and D.

Reaction Score
Only her second in a row, the 2017 Final Four was UConn, Miss St, Stanford, and SC, with SC winning it all by beating Miss St in the Championship game 67 - 55.
I was including her championship game against Mississippi State last season too. She had an awful first half. I meant Final Four and NC. My bad for the poor word choice.

Reaction Score
UCONN finished with a 35-3 record. You can count on one hand the teams with a better record. They will still end up in the top four when the final standings come out. Not to shabby!

Reaction Score
Just wanted to add my thanks to the team for all their hard work in providing us
with another entertaining season. Getting to the final four was a great achievement.

What a wonderful group of young women and a fine coaching staff we have. So proud.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, but they were up 9 late in this game and decided to stop playing offense and defense.

That one is hard to swallow.

I get being disappinted at how it all fell apart in such a brief period, but “decided to stop playing offense abd defense”? That’s an odd way to describe what happened. Playing at such a high level requires an incredible level of intense individual effort that has to be tightly coordinated for collective success. As Geno pointed out in the post-game comments, at some moments in the game, they looked awesome—other times, things got really bad. It had nothing to do with a decision to stop playing either offense or defense.

Reaction Score
UCONN finished with a 35-3 record. You can count on one hand the teams with a better record. They will still end up in the top four when the final standings come out. Not to shabby!
Lou and Napheesa lost five games in their entire collegiate career. Five. And most of those losses came in the national semi-final game. Some teams lose more games in a month than our two seniors have lost in their entire four year UConn career.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine UConn having another pair of players like Pheesa and Lou. They have been successful (most teammate points) and just a joy to watch for the last 4 years. I am not looking forward to next year after losing these two, especially after going through the loss of Kia and Gabby after last season. Lou is the reason I joined The Boneyard, in order to become "involved" with this basketball team.
I hope that over the spring, summer and fall that I can recover from tonight...
If anyone deserves to play in the NC Game, it is KATIE LOU SAMUELSON!!!!
AMF.

perhaps better to wait and see who comes to play with Paige Bueckers before making any definitive statements on best dynamic duo..............

Reaction Score
perhaps better to wait and see who comes to play with Paige Bueckers before making any definitive statements on best dynamic duo....
Ok, seeing how you have brought up Paige I am curious about something (I will admit that I am not very cognizant of NCAA rules) - because Paige has publically "committed" to UConn, is she really committed as far as the NCAA is concerned? I guess I am asking when is the earliest that a player can sign a LOI?

Reaction Score
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Louisville ranked above us. That’s life as a non P5.

Reaction Score
Except for Collier, I didn't see any heart much less a lot of it.
Sorry, but I have to agree. "We just weren't good enough" doesn't cut it. We were good enough to be ahead by 9 with 7-1/2 minutes left. Certainly not the heart of a champion. Or last year. Or the year before that.

Reaction Score
I think the big surprise is (in terms of points, rebounds. and assists), both Shepard and Turner had better stat lines than Collier.

I don’t understand how Ogunbowale, for the third FF game in a row, has a terrible first half, then cannot miss.
Phessa had a fine game. UConn lost to a bigger, better rebounding team. Another Final Four season. Well done.!

Reaction Score
Had to wait a day before posting my thoughts on the game and the season.
Sure was hard to watch that 9 point lead evaporate and some of the missed chippies, but....I remember the start of the season when folks were taking guesses on how many losses they would have by year end. With the loss of Azura, Gabby, and Kia plus a less than outstanding freshman year for Meghan Walker and the addition of only one recruit the season looked like it could get ugly. But to my surprise this team continued to win and ended up making it to the final 4. That's not the usual standard for UConn teams but this was a great season for this team. Just didn't have all the needed pieces.
Congrats to the team and thanks for another great year of fun games to watch.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Except for Collier, I didn't see any heart much less a lot of it.
Probably because you weren't looking for it.
CW showed great for a freshmen playing in the FF.
ONO showed great heart and changed the game.
Megan Walker showed great heart by battling Jessica Shepard in the post.
Crystal shot the ball poorly but showed great heart by handing out 9 ssists.
KLS showed great heart by recovering from a scoreless 1st half to score 15 points in the third quarter. UCONN did not lose this game because of heart, they lost because ND was better on this night.

Reaction Score
Ok, seeing how you have brought up Paige I am curious about something (I will admit that I am not very cognizant of NCAA rules) - because Paige has publically "committed" to UConn, is she really committed as far as the NCAA is concerned? I guess I am asking when is the earliest that a player can sign a LOI?

a verbal means nothing as far as the NCAA is concerned................some would say it also doesn't mean much to some coaches from other schools who will continue to pitch the recruit................I believe the NLI can be signed in the early signing period in the fall, (usually in November?) or the regular signing period in the spring (April?) of senior year................some players, mostly on the men's side will try to graduate early to get on campus ASAP..........

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Why shouldn't UConn fans be proud? The team got to the Final Four 12 seasons in a row. Come on! UConn was one of the best teams in the country this year, despite the loss of 2 key starters replaced by a freshman and a sophomore who did not have a great freshman year, a very limited bench, and the unexpected loss of a key 6th player to the WNBA. The team faced off against some of the best players in the country and either won or never gave up.

And the team was blessed with luck: there were no season or career ending injuries, which would have been a disaster with such a small number of players. Katie Lou Samuelson recovered enough from her late season back injury to play in all of the tournament games. Napheesa Collier gained recognition as one of the best players in the country, respected even by arch-rival Notre Dame fans. Finally, the last game of the season was not lost by a last minute lucky shot, which was the case in the past 2 seasons. It's always better psychologically if you lose fair and square.

The UConn - ND game was exciting for fans of both sides and maybe even casual viewers, because the outcome was in doubt until maybe the last 4 minutes, a back and forth battle. However, considered in retrospect, much of it was poorly executed basketball on both sides. It rather resembled Stanford - ND, even (shudder) Missouri State - Stanford. What characterized these games was recurrent situations where there were multiple opportunities to score that were not exploited, not due to stellar defense but because of failures in offensive execution -- flubbed layups, 10% efficiency in 3 pt shooting, turnovers caused by bad passes -- on both sides. The earlier games referred to may not have been blowouts but they did not show women's basketball at its best. In contrast, the UConn-UCLA game had a lot of hardnosed defense; low scoring was to be expected and not due to poor offense. Hard to make your shots if your opponent has you in a (metaphorical) chokehold, but the physical game has always been a part of basketball and to suppress it as unladylike seems a little Victorian and unrealistic to me. Despite the acknowledged weakness of the conference, AAC experience with physical, defensive teams might have been good preparation for UCLA basketball. UConn-Louisville had a good balance between successful offense and defense on both sides and was perhaps the best showcase of the game; lucky to have at least one such a game in the tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom