Still proud of this team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Still proud of this team

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Huskies had control, with a 64-55 lead in a game that had been a one-possession tug-o-war for the better part of 32 minutes. Then they lost control, in every way. They didn’t run offense very well. They didn’t make a few available open shots, blowing layups late like they had early. They certainly couldn’t stop Notre Dame, turbocharged down the stretch and riding Ogunbowale’s hot hand that pushed UConn into a cold place.

But the most painful losses are ones of missed opportunity. That’s what this became, and that’s what is maddening.

UConn was magnificent on defense in the first half, but missed enough layups and 3-pointers to lead by just one, 30-29, at the break. The Huskies were outstanding on offense for much of the second half, particularly Samuelson, who was scoreless at halftime and had 15 points in the third quarter alone.

You don’t take a nine-point lead in this setting without being really good and doing a lot right, and UConn was really good and did a lot right for a stretch book-ended by periods of play lacking a finishing touch.

Auriemma had said the Huskies would be undaunted by the moment, that they wouldn’t play scared. “We might get beat,” he explained, “but we're not going to lose. They're going to have to beat our asses. We're not just going to lose because we're afraid to lose.”

After Friday’s game, he conceded that it always ends up being a combination.

Yes, Notre Dame earned this victory.

And, yes, UConn should have.

Mike Anthony: Same pain delivered with different method as UConn smothered out of the Final Four by fourth-quarter Notre Dame takeover

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Probably because you weren't looking for it.
CW showed great for a freshmen playing in the FF.
ONO showed great heart and changed the game.
Megan Walker showed great heart by battling Jessica Shepard in the post.
Crystal shot the ball poorly but showed great heart by handing out 9 ssists.
KLS showed great heart by recovering from a scoreless 1st half to score 15 points in the third quarter.
None of this is "heart", it's just playing the game. Heart is over and above. I didn't see that from this team. Heart would have been the tallest starter and 3-time AA recognizing her team is getting beat on the boards and helping out. One measly rebound on D? This wasn't UConn BB of old.

Reaction Score
I am very proud of our girls, they gave everything they had and more. This team had energy and played to the best of their abilities. We were not a perfect team but they played with heart and they have nothing to hang their heads for. Go UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
None of this is "heart", it's just playing the game. Heart is over and above. I didn't see that from this team. Heart would have been the tallest starter and 3-time AA recognizing her team is getting beat on the boards and helping out. One measly rebound on D? This wasn't UConn BB of old.
I have never seen a UCONN WBB (Old or Current) player NOT display heart even as you have defined it here. I have seen plenty of UCONN players NOT achieve the result you desire-more rebounds. Be assured heart and effort were not the reason for this outcome.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
This was another fun season and an amazing ride. I am so proud of UConn Huskies. How many teams can say they been to 12 straight (20 total) final fours, and won 11 National Championships? I look forward to watching Lou and Napheesa play in the WNBA. #UConnnumber1fan!!#BleedBlue!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom