Still Don't Know How to Make Winning Plays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Still Don't Know How to Make Winning Plays

Reaction Score
Up 5 Bouk drives and throws ball away and they hit a three. That to me was huge. 3:31 left at that point. Could have went up 7 or 8

yeah, bouk had a bad game. He was making everything way harder than it had to be.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How did we took 3 free throws when we spent the whole game driving?

Reaction Score
Turnovers and 3 point shooting were the difference. Our poor 3 point shooting and generally poor offense leave zero margin for error. Our turnovers, bad passing and boneheaded plays were that margin. I know we could use a front line center, but a smart point guard and shooters seem like more of a need. Maybe I am just being reactive but I'm sick of the dumb turnovers and awful outside shooting. We needed more shooters before Polley was injured. If Nova had any size, the game would not have been as close.
I was thinking the same thing. We really need some muscle and toughness but another great shooter or two is a glaring need. I think with Polley though we win both of these last two games.

Reaction Score
So you blame freshmen instead of our upperclassmen leaders?
I didn’t blame them. All I said was if you think fortunes are gonna change because of them not sure how folks can be optimistic based on the body of work this season

Reaction Score
I didn’t blame them. All I said was if you think fortunes are gonna change because of them not sure how folks can be optimistic based on the body of work this season
Akok and Bouk will both benefit greatly from more strength training after the season. How does Hurley get them to start showing some more assertiveness though the rest of this season?

Reaction Score
Gilbert had a really good game. We lost because we took and missed so many 3 point shots. What were we 2-12?
That's not why we lost. We had a 6 point lead heading into winning time with only making 1 three.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's not why we lost. We had a 6 point lead heading into winning time with only making 1 three.

And that 6 would have been 12 or 15.

Reaction Score
If through youngins got most of the minutes we would have got killed. Yes, mentsl mistakes and bad shooting for the upperclassmen. But Bouk started and only had 5 points. Need way more production than that. Akok plays hard at the rim on D. We didn't get him the ball when he was open. Needs tnmake more open 3s. I wonder if he can put the bsll on through floor?

Reaction Score
In the second third of the second half, UConn had a lead and could have built it up to eight. Instead of running a play, CV attempted a three that was short with no time used. That was a momentum killer. Down the stretch, he and Gilbert reverted to the same old patterns. I do agree, that they had no help with the lineup that was in toward the end. Overall, just dumb play that cost a winnable game.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Since reporters read this board can someone ask Hurley what is his offensive philosophy/ plan. Because iso like we have two nba guards isn’t the answer. We were running some cross screen action that was letting us go downhill in the first half. Then in the second half we had no plan for a zone even though we are a poor shooting team and every team should play zone against us for at least some part of the game... Trusting AG to make the smart play is dumb, Hurley needs to be much more rigid in his offensive philosophy or even when he gets his guys we still going to lose these close games.

Reaction Score
Gilbert had a really good game. We lost because we took and missed so many 3 point shots. What were we 2-12?
Villanova took 23 and made 11. Your point? Theres the difference right there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Villanova took 23 and made 11. Your point? Theres the difference right there.

Thats my point. They made a high percentage on high volume. We made an astonishingly low percentage on a fairly high volume.

Reaction Score
Thats my point. They made a high percentage on high volume. We made an astonishingly low percentage on a fairly high volume.
How do you call high volume (23) and fairly high volume (15) the same. It's not. They don't have shooters and they know it. They don't attempt the 3's because they can't make them.

Reaction Score
The problem is mostly a lack of a winning point guard. A lot Vital's errors and Carton's errors are due to not getting the ball in spots from where they can score easily. They then try to do things that are a little bit too hard for them. When Gibert plays well, we are competitive. However, he is too limited to carry a team to victory in close games against good teams. If you removed Gilbert from the lineup and insert a Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Smith etc., most of these loses are wins. Hopefully, Cole will be the answer next season.
I disagree here. As hard as Vital hustles, if either of them had a Kemba, Shabazz, or Boatright, this team would be immensely better.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The problem is mostly a lack of a winning point guard. A lot Vital's errors and Carton's errors are due to not getting the ball in spots from where they can score easily. They then try to do things that are a little bit too hard for them. When Gibert plays well, we are competitive. However, he is too limited to carry a team to victory in close games against good teams. If you removed Gilbert from the lineup and insert a Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Smith etc., most of these loses are wins. Hopefully, Cole will be the answer next season.

Exactly. What player on this team would you say is our playmaker? You can't name one. Hopefully Bouk turns into one, but right now there's nobody that you want with the ball in their hands in these late possessions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom