Stewie to the Liberty? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stewie to the Liberty?

sun

Reaction Score
The Liberty were sold to a new owner in 2019 and hired a new coach in 2022 in an effort to remake the team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm surprised I believe no one on this thread has mentioned KLS. Saddled by injury in Chicago and then with Mabrey and Arike as selfish teammates in Dallas, Katie Lou finally had found a WNBA home in Seattle.

As she moves into her peak years, and as a much-improved player, KLS has to have been excited about the prospect of playing with Stewie again and probably with Sue for one more season. I will hope Stewie stays in Seattle for that reason.
So you want the best player in the world to make a decision based on what would be best for a journeyman player on her 4th team? I'm thinking that's not a good reason.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
But is NYC actually the biggest market for WCBB? Seattle, Minneapolis, and Phoenix especially have really embraced the WNBA - Seattle doesn't have any other pro basketball, and the Phoenix Sun and Mercury have really worked well together unlike most other NBA/WNBA city teams. The Liberty have been a dumpster fire for most of the last two decades - MSG mismanagement and rotating through GMs and coaches and then being homeless for a season.
NYC is potentially the biggest market for anything, including WBB. It also helps that they're now playing at Barclays instead of Timbuktu.

Reaction Score
The Mets actually brought Mays back to NYC for his final 2 years in 1972 & 73. Unlike Stewie, who’s in her prime, Mays was well past his prime in 72-73. He played fewer than 70 games in both seasons, and was more about getting fans to buy tickets than putting up big numbers.
Referring to Sue…not Stewie. Forgot Willie‘s fabulous 1972 season with the Amazins.

Reaction Score
NYC is potentially the biggest market for anything, including WBB. It also helps that they're now playing at Barclays instead of Timbuktu.
Very humorous comparing Westchester County to Timbuktu. It might be the wealthiest place in the country

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know that they were sold and have a home now, but I still wonder how long it will take to build momentum. Yankees and Mets rule the summer as far as sports. And the other pro teams create a pretty full plate of star athletes. I don't think any of the WNBA stars have created a buzz in the city to date (and they have had stars.) And with the non-traditional avenues for building brand available now, Maya, DT, and Bird are as marketable as any WNBA player playing in the traditional 'big market' cities. Same goes for Stewart who has been hitting her stride in that minor market of Seattle.

There can be other reasons for moving cities - family, future business opportunities, weather, living conditions and expenses, teammates and coaches, etc. both positive and negative and none of us can evaluate those except in a general way. I just think any WNBA player choosing a team based on 'marketing' is not being wise - the amount of 'press buzz' generated by the WNBA is probably better in Seattle, and it is probably the same for the word of mouth buzz as well around the proverbial water cooler/watering hole.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Very humorous comparing Westchester County to Timbuktu. It might be the wealthiest place in the country
It's wealthy, but it's not the City, which is where the Liberty belong. Besides, I've never seen the tea and crumpets crowd as the main supporters of WBB.

As far as playing for the Liberty, a great player with chutzpah will do well.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom