Stewie to the Liberty? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie to the Liberty?

Reaction Score
Brondello is a good coach? She was not much over .500 from 2015-21, with all the talent she had in Phoenix. Maybe slightly better than an inexperienced staff in Seattle, but not by much.
2 of those years 1 Dee didn't play, another she played 6 games. One year Bonner didn't play. Look at WNBA, Phoenix Mercury, go through stats from 2015-2021. It shows most of those teams were not that talented.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
2 of those years 1 Dee didn't play, another she played 6 games. One year Bonner didn't play. Look at WNBA, Phoenix Mercury, go through stats from 2015-2021. It shows most of those teams were not that talented.
Not buying it. And what about Griner? Brondello has failed for almost the entirety of her career to get the most out of a player who should be absolutely dominant. Look at how good she was in the playoffs this year, where has that been?

Reaction Score
I would’ve scoffed at the idea of her leaving Seattle as she’s said Seattle is home. But now being married and having a baby, I could totally understand the shift in mindset toward wanting to be in NY. Her wife is from Spain, so moving to NY would allow them to be close to one side of the family. As a NYC resident that would definitely entice me to get to more liberty games. But as a Storm fan, I’d like to see the same cast push for one last time to send sue out on top.

Reaction Score
Would love to see Stewie in NYC. I want to share a funny story. We were given tickets by a former player for a game at MSG. My mom came with us, she is in her mid 80s. After the game ended we were headed to the area outside the locker room. As we are ready to go through the portal, I can‘t find my Mom. I look around and I see she is standing almost at center court. Security was not happy, but they were nice about it. I still have a good laugh about that.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

While coring and help keep Loyd, I believe Natasha Howard was cored the previous season when she then ended up leaving for NY Liberty. So, I think Loyd is more likely to stay but if she does leave I think it gives Seattle leverage to get something in return for her if she does leave. I may be confused. I think the same thing happened with the Dallas Wings and Skylar Diggins

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I don’t know how many of these kinds of deals happen (or if they happen at all…), but is it possible that she told the Liberty folks that she wants to come, but only after she spends this last year with Sue? I guess I just find it hard to believe that Sue would be interested in another year without Stewie there to make a championship run feasible.

That could give NY the heads up they’d need to structure contracts to make room for her on the payroll in 2023? Allows them to decide who to offer one or multi year contracts to in free agency? It’s a huge gamble and requires the Liberty to put a lot of faith in Stewie’s word, but I could see how such a thing would allow them to make a multi-year plan.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how many of these kinds of deals happen (or if they happen at all…), but is it possible that she told the Liberty folks that she wants to come, but only after she spends this last year with Sue? I guess I just find it hard to believe that Sue would be interested in another year without Stewie there to make a championship run feasible.

That could give NY the heads up they’d need to structure contracts to make room for her on the payroll in 2023? Allows them to decide who to offer one or multi year contracts to in free agency? It’s a huge gamble and requires the Liberty to put a lot of faith in Stewie’s word, but I could see how such a thing would allow them to make a multi-year plan.
The coaching situation in Seattle is bad, Quinn never should have been made Head Coach. Now they add a retread, and a person with no previous coaching experience. Stewie needs to get out of Seattle.

Reaction Score
The coaching situation in Seattle is bad, Quinn never should have been made Head Coach. Now they add a retread, and a person with no previous coaching experience. Stewie needs to get out of Seattle.
I'm surprised I believe no one on this thread has mentioned KLS. Saddled by injury in Chicago and then with Mabrey and Arike as selfish teammates in Dallas, Katie Lou finally had found a WNBA home in Seattle.

As she moves into her peak years, and as a much-improved player, KLS has to have been excited about the prospect of playing with Stewie again and probably with Sue for one more season. I will hope Stewie stays in Seattle for that reason.

If Stewie does move the NYC, and as a Connecticut resident who has frequented Liberty games, it would be a treat to see her play more often... imagine Sabrina's assist numbers! I've yet to see the Liberty win in person... LOL.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
While Stewie has generally made it clear that she plans on returning to the Seattle Storm next year, joining Sue for another run at a championship, for the first time in her career she is an unrestricted free agent.

So this past week, when Stewie met with the owners of the NY Liberty, along with the front office staff and Head Coach Sandy Brondello, it created quite a bit of buzz in the W. Stewie has referred to Seattle as home. But it’s hard not to consider playing with the Liberty as anything other than a return home for the NY native.

While teams in the W can talk to free agents now, the first date they can actually sign a free agent is Feb 1. Stay tuned.

Thanks @oldude, for an article that can stir it up.

Gut reactions to this and several ideas on this thread:
  • Stewie is smart to discuss and research options. While Seattle is home, this is -- indeed -- a business and ultimately she's got to look out for herself.
  • Highly doubt there's much to Sue Bird "coming home" for what is probably her swan song. Plus, the Liberty have a guard named Ionescu?? ;)
  • Jewell's cored, so if she goes anywhere it would probably be via trade.
  • While the Stewie talk is tantalizing, the UConn alum I've read in conjunction with the Liberty is Stef Dolson. Check out this interview:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts, but ...
Has NYC ever really been a desired WNBA city - so many pro teams, unstable management, so many pro athletes competing for market share ... yeah, some players wanted to 'go home' to NYC but how did that work out for them? Tina off to DC is a good example. Syracuse is a different world from NYC, and NYC isn't exactly my first choice for raising a kid. (NYC = 2 NFL, 2 MLB, 2 NHL, 2 NBA)

Seattle on the other hand has been a strong WNBA city with a lot of support for WNBA stars. One of the reasons to let Howard go was because they had Stewart and Loyd coming up as FAs and could afford all three. (Sea = 1 NFL, 1 MLB, 1 NHL expansion)

I would be surprised if Stewart chose the Liberty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if Stewart chose the Liberty
She probably won’t, but listening to their offer is the smart play.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
She probably won’t, but listening to their offer is the smart play.
And sending a message to Seattle organization that if they don't get act together ...

tcno2fan

Tina Charles No. 2 Fan
Reaction Score
God I hope not. Now that Tina's gone I don't need or want a reason to care about the Liberty again

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thinking about this a bit more, I can't help but think it comes down to one of two possibilities:

#1 the Seattle front office is even dumber than I thought if they are risking losing Stewie or...

#2 she gave the team assurances she would resign with them, if she reneges on that, it's not a good look.

Reaction Score
Thinking about this a bit more, I can't help but think it comes down to one of two possibilities:

#1 the Seattle front office is even dumber than I thought if they are risking losing Stewie or...

#2 she gave the team assurances she would resign with them, if she reneges on that, it's not a good look.
The decisions by the front office the last 2 years have been terrible. Hiring an unproven coach as Head coach, rather then promoting the guy who led the team to the 2020 championship. Sign and trade a starter, and your 6th man for draft picks.
Then this year add a retread coach to your staff, and also add a coach with no previous experience. That to me is a reason Stewie needs to get out of a bad situation. Ownership seems to have no idea what the are doing. They are not doing the things you need from a championship organization.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Jackie Powell of The Next with her take on Stewie meeting with NY Liberty brass in Los Angeles. For those who think this meeting might be for something in the future, Powell references that the Las Vegas Aces met with Chelsea Gray a year before she left Los Angeles for Sin City.

https://www./wnba/breanna-stewart-meets-new-york-liberty-seattle-storm/

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Jackie Powell of The Next with her take on Stewie meeting with NY Liberty brass in Los Angeles. For those who think this meeting might be for something in the future, Powell references that the Las Vegas Aces met with Chelsea Gray a year before she left Los Angeles for Sin City.

https://www./wnba/breanna-stewart-meets-new-york-liberty-seattle-storm/
I try to learn something new every day. From this article I learned that Chelsea Gray’s wife’s name is Tipsea. I hope that’s not a given name. On the other hand, I hope it’s not a nickname.

Reaction Score
Makes me wonder if Stewie knows what Jewell is going to do. Then I wonder if Stewie were to leave Seattle, would NY try to make a deal for Sue to come "home" to NYC.
Mets brought Willie Mays “home” in 1973. Not good. Sue is too smart to leave Seattle…New York City will be hers for the taking for years to come. And she did make it off the mean streets of Syosset !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mets brought Willie Mays “home” in 1973. Not good. Sue is too smart to leave Seattle…New York City will be hers for the taking for years to come.
The Mets actually brought Mays back to NYC for his final 2 years in 1972 & 73. Unlike Stewie, who’s in her prime, Mays was well past his prime in 72-73. He played fewer than 70 games in both seasons, and was more about getting fans to buy tickets than putting up big numbers.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Stewie should take the money. It's a business and the NYC market only helps her endorsement marketability. Seattle can't protect her and Jewell right? One gets a chance to get a big payday. WNBA players probably make more than we realize overall at the top.
Exactly. Any athlete should want to conquer the biggest market in the country.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Mets brought Willie Mays “home” in 1973. Not good. Sue is too smart to leave Seattle…New York City will be hers for the taking for years to come. And she did make it off the mean streets of Syosset !
Lawn Guyland is a dangerous place.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Exactly. Any athlete should want to conquer the biggest market in the country.
But is NYC actually the biggest market for WCBB? Seattle, Minneapolis, and Phoenix especially have really embraced the WNBA - Seattle doesn't have any other pro basketball, and the Phoenix Sun and Mercury have really worked well together unlike most other NBA/WNBA city teams. The Liberty have been a dumpster fire for most of the last two decades - MSG mismanagement and rotating through GMs and coaches and then being homeless for a season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom