Stewie said it. Alot of disconnect........ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie said it. Alot of disconnect........

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Sorry, then I miss understood your last line above. "You play to win and we didn't." Sounded like you were saying they didn't play to win.
No, I have no doubt they were trying to win. But they didn't.

Reaction Score
Stewart did have a funny look on her face especially in the second half. I think it was because they were playing really physically on her. Maybe they wore her down more than she was used to.

Maybe she was trying to figure out what happened to the rest of the team. The missed free throws might have been partially due to tiredness from physical play, although she did miss a lot of them in the NC game last year. She seemed to play through all the shoving, bumping, and pushing better than she has in the past.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
pap49cba said:
Who was the last UC guard that was great at penetrating? Rene? Bria was good at times....

Tiffany Hayes. She was the best at that, and Stanford's Appel-Nneka team couldn't stop her.

And Kalana Greene was pretty good at it also.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Tiffany Hayes. She was the best at that, and Stanford's Appel-Nneka team couldn't stop her.

And Kalana Greene was pretty good at it also.

I think the Mini-Jet has shown talent at this skill.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
My point was some of teams we struggle with are said to have great, penetrating guards. Why doesn't UConn? Have we ever had two penetrating guards on the same team?

Reaction Score
As Doris Burke said you cannot impede the movement of another player. Breanna was fouled more than they called. It will be interesting to see if that continues to happen. No, it's not a matter of just being physical. A foul is a foul.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's one loss and it was against a top ten team..on the road...in overtime.

It happens.

One thing that was a surprise - UConn did not appear to be in particularly good physical shape. The stronger, faster, fitter advantage that UConn generally has is not the case right now.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Random thoughts from an outside observer and a longtime poster...

1) During the summer, I commented that it would be much harder to replace Dolson and that I had questions about where Stokes was in terms of range on her shot. Dolson provided so much in terms of the range on her shot, especially her junior and senior years. She was money with that free throw line jumper. What this meant was that it opened up the offense entirely. Every player could score from the outside. And by Dolson stepping out and drawing the defender with her, the guards had more clear paths to the basket (and Hartley and Moriah were truly excellent off the dribble last year). Dolson was also an excellent passer for a post player, not just in terms of racking up assists but making the "hockey assist" passes (i.e., making the pass that led to the assist).

Stokes is a stronger physical presence inside and is a better rebounder (at least by my eyes, but I do not see every game), but does not have the other array of skills that Dolson possessed. She does not have the same range on her shot or the consistency on that range. So this means that there were be an adjustment on offense, going from having situations where you can run five-out to a four-out, one-in.

2) Moriah Jefferson is a ridiculously speedy point guard who made leaps and bounds in terms of her improvement in both playmaking and shooting last year. But she is making an adjustment. Remember, last year, she was arguably the fifth option on the team (behind Stewart, KML, Dolson, and Hartley). This year, she is the third option (behind Stewart and KML) and is also responsible for having to create more for others (Chong and Stokes). Hartley, by contrast, did not need Jefferson to create for her, as she created for herself. With Chong and Stokes, Moriah needs to be more of a facilitator.

3) Stanford's win good news for ESPN and the sport of women's basketball, as there is a glimmer of hope that a team can challenge UConn. UConn is always a big draw on ESPN, but when there is a game against another highly rated team and it is expected to be close (or is close), the ratings are huge.

4) Going into this season, I thought Stanford was overrated at #6, due to the graduation of Ogwumike and having to rely on a lot of unproven players who were very good prospects out of high school, but not elite (certainly not of the caliber of Nneka and Chiney). But the Cardinal proved me wrong. Tara VanDerveer changed her offense from the triangle (or variations on the triangle) that had been a trademark of hers the past six or so years, to a more guard-oriented game. In a recent interview, she said doing so was a six-month process, with consultation and work with ex-NBA coach Mike D'Antoni, Milwaukee Bucks assistant Joe Prunty, and Jenny Boucek of the Seattle Storm.
(Side thought...If only a certain coach in Durham, North Carolina put in that much work)

And FINALLY:

5) UConn lost on the road by two points, in overtime, to the #6 team, in the second game of the year. What does this mean? First, it means the discussion of "streaks" can go dissipate, and Geno Auriemma can focus on individual player development and team cohesion. Arguably, there will be less of a distraction, at least from the media as to the issue of streaks.

More importantly, this young team will learn what it takes to close out games. Remember, the freshmen and Chong have never experienced a loss. They just know UConn is the offensive juggernaut that destroys teams. For them to experience the loss personally goes such a long way in terms of development. They learn they need to take things; nothing will be given to them. They learn they need to earn the win, not expect the other team to roll over. They learn that the sum (the team) must be greater than the individual parts, which means better chemistry, better cohesion, individual sacrifice for team success, and more intensity and focus in practice and in games.

As a Duke fan, I shudder to think of the beatdown UConn could put on the team. As a fan of the sport of women's basketball, I am truly afraid of what a more focused, more driven, more intense Geno Auriemma and UConn players mean going forward.
Geno is no doubt angry. Probably "2001 Final Four against Notre Dame" angry. And we all saw what happened after that...

Great post, Cam...thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro