Stewie out tonight. | The Boneyard

Stewie out tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Monday, December 21, 2015

National player of the year Stewart out for UConn tonight

UConn will be playing without two-time national player of the year Breanna Stewart in tonight's game against LSU.

Stewart sprained her ankle in practice last week and is not in uniform tonight. It will be the first game she has missed since the first round of the 2013 NCAA tournament, a stretch of 92 straight games.

Natalie Butler, who had a chance to make her UConn debut, is also in street clothes so she won't be playing either. Saniya Chong, who was thought to the least likely of the Huskies to play tonight, is in uniform.

Obviously the subject of Stewart's availability moving forward and especially for Monday's game against No. 6 Maryland in the Maggie Dixon Classic.
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/

Reaction Score
That's not good. Hope Stew has time to fully recover and practice a little before MD game

upload_2015-12-21_16-26-48.png

JS

Reaction Score
Dang. I wanted to watch her play tonight (as always).

Bigger picture: don't think it'll matter all that much for this game, but what's the prognosis for MD a week hence? Would think she'll play then.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno is messing with us; wants to see what next year will be like.

Reaction Score
KLS taking her place in the starting line up tonight alongside fellow freshman Collier.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lou and Napheesa should get extended minutes today and have a chance to get their offense on track. Especially for Lou who has been wildly inconsistent from a scoring perspective. I hope she gets uncorked!!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You guys probably won't need Stewie tonight anyway. LSU is just not that good/decimated by injuries. It's probably smarter to rest her injury tonight in preparation for Maryland, instead of going into Maryland with a partially healed sprained ankle and aggravating it into something worse.

On another note, Stewie will have a long playing career.. but she looks great all dressed up on the sideline coaching her team. Would love to see her as a coach one day.

Reaction Score
Choc, does this Natalie thing bother anyone else as much as me ? I guess I am just anxious to see her play.:(
She wasn't supposed to play until the end of the calendar year. If we got anything out of her earlier than that it would be playing with house money. If the reports of her being cleared to play were never made public, you likely wouldn't feel the way you do now. The takeaway here is there's a difference between being medically cleared (i.e. playing won't cause any further damage) vs. being comfortable/game ready.

HGN

Reaction Score
She wasn't supposed to play until the end of the calendar year. If we got anything out of her earlier than that it would be playing with house money. If the reports of her being cleared to play were never made public, you likely wouldn't feel the way you do now. The takeaway here is there's a difference between being medically cleared (i.e. playing won't cause any further damage) vs. being comfortable/game ready.
You got a point Hoops.......They never should have leaked any news to a nit picker .

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I don't know about anyone else but if made me feel sad to see Stewie on the sideline rather than playing in the game. Yeah, and now I'm concerned about her ankle injury for the remainder of the season. That type of injury doesn't just go away and has a tendency to reoccur.

Who gets her this summer? Seattle? I could research this but it's easier to just ask.

Reaction Score
Has Stewie ever missed a game due to injury before?

From today's Hartford Courant: ". . . Stewart, who has missed only four games in her career, was replaced in the starting lineup by freshman Katie Lou Samuelson, her likely successor next season."

Reaction Score
I don't know about anyone else but if made me feel sad to see Stewie on the sideline rather than playing in the game. Yeah, and now I'm concerned about her ankle injury for the remainder of the season. That type of injury doesn't just go away and has a tendency to reoccur.

Who gets her this summer? Seattle? I could research this but it's easier to just ask.

Stewart has rolled her ankle more than once. She was running down the UConn bench last night doing the high 5s when Polly entered the game. I'm confident that she'll be her old self in a week. Side note: I saw Natalie clapping (with both hands!) and extending her right hand to the opposition at the game's end. The team is about to (finally) get healthy. We do, of course, have some additional medical support in Nurse (Kia), Polly (doctor), and the legendary Nurse Buck (recently married). Try not to worry.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Stewart has rolled her ankle more than once. She was running down the UConn bench last night doing the high 5s when Polly entered the game. I'm confident that she'll be her old self in a week. Side note: I saw Natalie clapping (with both hands!) and extending her right hand to the opposition at the game's end. The team is about to (finally) get healthy. We do, of course, have some additional medical support in Nurse (Kia), Polly (doctor), and the legendary Nurse Buck (recently married). Try not to worry.
Polly's pre-med?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Side note: I saw Natalie clapping (with both hands!) and extending her right hand to the opposition at the game's end.
I did see her clapping her hands together which of course is all good. Note though, it is her left hand that had the injury.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Biff said:
I did see her clapping her hands together which of course is all good. Note though, it is her left hand that had the injury.

Natalie's left hand and wrist did NOT have any bandage on it as she sat on the bench last night, which I view as a very good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom