Stewie Mandel on Worst of BCS - 2010 Connecticut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie Mandel on Worst of BCS - 2010 Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
As much as we may hate to hear it, that team had bad losses (Louisville - poor Box, Rutgers and while Temple was not a bad team that year, they were coming off decades of ineptitude and that loss was very bad perception-wise). From a total season's performance measuring stick, UConn didn't meet the smell test for a BCS team just like Pitt didn't in 2004. The game versus Oklahoma was definitely competitive until the 4th quarter but it is difficult to defend the lack of a single offensive TD by UConn.

I'm no apologist though. UConn did everything it needed to do to earn that BCS autobid so blame the system, not UConn.

Certainly if we had won that game it would have made a massive difference in the perception of the UConn football program as opposed to where it is today. It was an incredible opportunity and unfortunately we weren't able to convert.

Reaction Score
As much as we may hate to hear it, that team had bad losses (Louisville - poor Box, Rutgers and while Temple was not a bad team that year, they were coming off decades of ineptitude and that loss was very bad perception-wise). From a total season's performance measuring stick, UConn didn't meet the smell test for a BCS team just like Pitt didn't in 2004. The game versus Oklahoma was definitely competitive until the 4th quarter but it is difficult to defend the lack of a single offensive TD by UConn.

I'm no apologist though. UConn did everything it needed to do to earn that BCS autobid so blame the system, not UConn.

Certainly if we had won that game it would have made a massive difference in the perception of the UConn football program as opposed to where it is today. It was an incredible opportunity and unfortunately we weren't able to convert.
Yep. We get crap for making it that year. You know who didn't make it to the BCS that year? RU, PITT, WVU, Cuse, Louisville...

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Yep. We get crap for making it that year. You know who didn't make it to the BCS that year? RU, PITT, WVU, Cuse, Louisville...

I was thrilled we made it and got to play in such a premiere game which was an amazing opportunity and by our previous standards, it was a near magical season. Winning five in a row to finish the year was an incredible turnaround. And yes, we made it over the rest of the Big East that year.

That said, we're still one of the poster boys for why the BCS system needed to change. Through consolidation of the P5 and Access Bowl lineup that has effectively happened to our detriment.

Going forward, we shouldn't be pissed off if our 8-4 team doesn't get to an Access Bowl. We should be pissed if a much better UConn team gets frozen out because some other G5 team also had a great season and there was only one spot for the entire G5. The system is still based mostly on conference affiliation as opposed to pure merit.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of teams worse then that VT team, they had 1 bad loss. He picked the worse team, not the 15 worse. Not saying we were the worse, in fact I argued against us being, but that VT team is not even in the discuss in my opinion

I respectfully disagree, but that's OK. When a team can't beat a I-AA team at home but goes 8-0 in its league and still gets handled by four TDs in a BCS bowl, that's a sign (to me) that the team is bad and its league is worse.

Reaction Score
I've said it plenty of times before but outsiders and haters alike can screw off when talking about that game. I'm sure they didn't even watch the game and only read the box score and would be surprised to hear that we had the ball in Oklahoma territory down by only 2 scores with less than 12 minutes left in that game. Was our offense anemic? Yes to some degree. But why do some people think it is acceptable to say because we scored on special teams and defense it doesn't really count and we were a complete disgrace. I'm biased, I agree, but everyone is to some degree. Haters going to continue to hate.

"Was our offense anemic? Yes to SOME degree?". Seriously? UConn's offense was totally anemic that night. Add to that, that against USF, in the game to win the BE, the offense also DID NOT score a touchdown. And on that New Year's day, the Huskies were the only team - win or lose- not to score an offensive touchdown. Heck if Dean Smith came back to coach the Tarheels in the Final Four and sent them out to run off 8 minutes at a clip with the Phil Ford Four Corners offense. Boring!!! That's not how the game is played anymore. So yes, UConn did not endear themselves to anyone with that Fiesta Bowl appearance. Get beat by same score, but score on offense and show some potential for additional scores and maybe things would have been different.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of teams worse then that VT team, they had 1 bad loss. He picked the worse team, not the 15 worse. Not saying we were the worse, in fact I argued against us being, but that VT team is not even in the discuss in my opinion

Upon reading this again, I guess I missed the point - I thought it was, "which is worse, 2010 Connecticut vs. 2010 Virginia Tech?" I think we would have handled that team, but that wasn't Mandel's point.

As to the worst BCS team, I'd have to put the 2004 Pitt team up there against just about anyone.

Reaction Score
"Was our offense anemic? Yes to SOME degree?". Seriously? UConn's offense was totally anemic that night. Add to that, that against USF, in the game to win the BE, the offense also DID NOT score a touchdown. And on that New Year's day, the Huskies were the only team - win or lose- not to score an offensive touchdown. Heck if Dean Smith came back to coach the Tarheels in the Final Four and sent them out to run off 8 minutes at a clip with the Phil Ford Four Corners offense. Boring!!! That's not how the game is played anymore. So yes, UConn did not endear themselves to anyone with that Fiesta Bowl appearance. Get beat by same score, but score on offense and show some potential for additional scores and maybe things would have been different.

There are 3 phases to the game. We played two well. Some teams do very well while not being great in the offensive phase. Our offensive output was just under 340 yards gained. While not impressive in the least. I've seen many teams win with less. I agree with the idea that whenever an outsider judges a team that they haven't seen often, if at all, they typically base their opinion around the offensive outputs of the those teams. I've heard people say for years B1G basketball is garbage because their games end up in 59-61 OT outcomes. But I'm sure their fans say they are great defensive teams that are patient offensively. I don't agree at all with your statement of people feeling differently if we lose 48-20 but scored 2 offensive td's. That's BS. They still would've said we were a disgrace. It was all about the late picks that set up scores that opened things up. The final score didn't tell the story and it made it easy for haters to judge rather than read the story.

Reaction Score
The worst was obviously 2010 Connecticut, an 8-4 Big East champ that lost 30-10 to Rich Rodriguez's last Michigan team, 30-16 to Temple, 27-24 to 4-8 Rutgers and 26-0 to 6-6 Louisville. In fact, the Huskies' appearance may have signaled the beginning of the end for the BCS.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ction-college-football-mailbag/#ixzz2pXwL9HT9

That game, as much as anything else, made Louisville the preferred ACC choice when MD left for the B1G. It symbolized for many what was wrong with the BCS, and the Big East's inclusion. The mad scramble to draft Boise State and San Diego State to salvage our inclusion was unseemly and further emphasized the need to change the entire system. The P5 folks never liked Boise State beating them in BCS games. Never liked it. Never wanted BSU in there at all. But when Uconn got in, and then didn't perform, that was more than they could take. That signalled the end. I'm sure that game is etched in the mind of many, and will color perception for a long, long time. No one should ever doubt the monumental task facing Susan Herbst and Warde Manual, and the very fine job they are both doing with what they have to work with.

I think ONE Big factor in our approach to the ACC was that, at a critical time, we looked like we were losing our Legend - Calhoun. The possible drop back in MBB with an infant football Team with a Fanbase that (frankly) has been waning. The Georgia Tech's and FSU's recognized a Louisville potential and did not have any grasp of what is coming - need to be central around NYC and not Kentucky's number 2 program.

UConn, in my biased opinion, always had far more potential than Louisville ... than Syracuse ... than Pitt ... than Boston College. It still can be a bell cow for College Sports in New England and reaching down into NYC. The B1G saw Rutgers and knows the market. I suspect that NYC's influence is becoming more pronounced in these circles today. We do need Herbst and Manual to execute the Plan to fully develop OUR Academic and Athletic profile. We need Diaco to be a success (after PP). We need good continued development from Ollie (and I am a believer). And ... Auriemma's Program is a bonus always.

Reaction Score
There are 3 phases to the game. We played two well. Some teams do very well while not being great in the offensive phase. Our offensive output was just under 340 yards gained. While not impressive in the least. I've seen many teams win with less. I agree with the idea that whenever an outsider judges a team that they haven't seen often, if at all, they typically base their opinion around the offensive outputs of the those teams. I've heard people say for years B1G basketball is garbage because their games end up in 59-61 OT outcomes. But I'm sure their fans say they are great defensive teams that are patient offensively. I don't agree at all with your statement of people feeling differently if we lose 48-20 but scored 2 offensive td's. That's BS. They still would've said we were a disgrace. It was all about the late picks that set up scores that opened things up. The final score didn't tell the story and it made it easy for haters to judge rather than read the story.

A prime time telecast for the NC. The best two teams in the country - at least by BCS formulas - and best defensive effort was "holding" Auburn to 31 points. And yet, no one cares - least of all the viewing audience. This whole business of college offense is about getting up and down the field - and into the end zone - as quickly as possible (preferably via a big gainer). Offense, offense and more offense. Auburn would be national champs IF they could have stopped FSU at the end of the game. And come to think of it KC, Philly and Green Bay would still be in the playoffs if their defense could have stopped opponents offenses at the end of the game. Fact is at both levels - college and pro - we are in the era of high octane offenses.

UConn had not figured that out - not in '10 nor anytime since then until maybe, just maybe - the last 10 quarters of the '13 season. Name of the game is to outscore your opponent and since not even the best teams seem to have the ability to stop offenses, UConn needs to move on into the second decade of the new millennium.

Reaction Score
Plus we had a coach that was already thinking about his dream job. His half-assed effort in that game was unforgivable.

You really need help. If your current health plan doesn't cover it, you should look at the exchanges.

Reaction Score
I think ONE Big factor in our approach to the ACC was that, at a critical time, we looked like we were losing our Legend - Calhoun. The possible drop back in MBB with an infant football Team with a Fanbase that (frankly) has been waning. The Georgia Tech's and FSU's recognized a Louisville potential and did not have any grasp of what is coming - need to be central around NYC and not Kentucky's number 2 program.

UConn, in my biased opinion, always had far more potential than Louisville ... than Syracuse ... than Pitt ... than Boston College. It still can be a bell cow for College Sports in New England and reaching down into NYC. The B1G saw Rutgers and knows the market. I suspect that NYC's influence is becoming more pronounced in these circles today. We do need Herbst and Manual to execute the Plan to fully develop OUR Academic and Athletic profile. We need Diaco to be a success (after PP). We need good continued development from Ollie (and I am a believer). And ... Auriemma's Program is a bonus always.

This and once Clemson and FSU made up their minds, and the rest of the ACC was worried about the possibility of the moving to the Big 12 our opportunity evaporated. The Maryland thing was such a surprise to them that Coach K and others were openly questioning everyone's commitment to the ACC. Adding Louisville had more to do with fear than anything else.

Reaction Score
A prime time telecast for the NC. The best two teams in the country - at least by BCS formulas - and best defensive effort was "holding" Auburn to 31 points. And yet, no one cares - least of all the viewing audience. This whole business of college offense is about getting up and down the field - and into the end zone - as quickly as possible (preferably via a big gainer). Offense, offense and more offense. Auburn would be national champs IF they could have stopped FSU at the end of the game. And come to think of it KC, Philly and Green Bay would still be in the playoffs if their defense could have stopped opponents offenses at the end of the game. Fact is at both levels - college and pro - we are in the era of high octane offenses.

UConn had not figured that out - not in '10 nor anytime since then until maybe, just maybe - the last 10 quarters of the '13 season. Name of the game is to outscore your opponent and since not even the best teams seem to have the ability to stop offenses, UConn needs to move on into the second decade of the new millennium.

This topic could be debated till the cows come in and honestly I have yearned for the days of a high octane aerial attack. However, Alabama is point positive that elite teams; dynasty, undefeated, glamorous, and media saturated teams can win with a great defense and an above average ground and pound offense. Don't lie, you never once said in the last 5 years "Wow look at how dynamic that uptempo Alabama offense is, that's the reason the media and fans alike love them and that's the reason they are so good".

Reaction Score
You really need help. If your current health plan doesn't cover it, you should look at the exchanges.

Even I don't think he mailed in the Fiesta Bowl prep. The final score of that game was about what I expected.

Reaction Score
The worst was obviously 2010 Connecticut, an 8-4 Big East champ that lost 30-10 to Rich Rodriguez's last Michigan team, 30-16 to Temple, 27-24 to 4-8 Rutgers and 26-0 to 6-6 Louisville. In fact, the Huskies' appearance may have signaled the beginning of the end for the BCS.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ction-college-football-mailbag/#ixzz2pXwL9HT9

That game, as much as anything else, made Louisville the preferred ACC choice when MD left for the B1G. It symbolized for many what was wrong with the BCS, and the Big East's inclusion. The mad scramble to draft Boise State and San Diego State to salvage our inclusion was unseemly and further emphasized the need to change the entire system. The P5 folks never liked Boise State beating them in BCS games. Never liked it. Never wanted BSU in there at all. But when Uconn got in, and then didn't perform, that was more than they could take. That signalled the end. I'm sure that game is etched in the mind of many, and will color perception for a long, long time. No one should ever doubt the monumental task facing Susan Herbst and Warde Manual, and the very fine job they are both doing with what they have to work with.

We caused the end of the BCS?? Really, what you smoking??

Reaction Score
We caused the end of the BCS?? Really, what you smoking??
HuskyDogArt: please put away the hash pipe. Read the article. It's not me talking. It's the writer of the SI article. I like hash. I like pot. I like it all. I'm a Democrat. But read the article.

Reaction Score
HuskyDogArt: please put away the hash pipe. Read the article. It's not me talking. It's the writer of the SI article. I like hash. I like pot. I like it all. I'm a Democrat. But read the article.

I wasn't saying that to you, but the writer said we caused it and I was wondering what he is smoking. I'm a Libertarian Conservative (I want smaller government. I'm for the legalization of pot, and I support gay marriage. some Dems things I support, but I support some Republican ideas.)

Reaction Score
Who really cares?

College sports is an embarrassment. A cess pool of greed, liars, and blowhards. And that's just the writers who cover it.

The fact people are making lists over the worst BCS bowl teams and whining over a team going to 1 out of 5 BCS bowls in a season 3 years ago is pathetic in itself. I would be embarrassed to even write an article that meaningless, to have a job that meaningless, to have a life that meaningless.

Last time I checked we played by the rules and earned the spot. That's better than the programs who got there with shady academic standards and a culture of sketchy unethical behavior. IE. Louisville.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I think FSU's win trumps the sub .500 bowl record of the AAC.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

And they're no longer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate