Stewie Mandel on Worst of BCS - 2010 Connecticut | The Boneyard

Stewie Mandel on Worst of BCS - 2010 Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The worst was obviously 2010 Connecticut, an 8-4 Big East champ that lost 30-10 to Rich Rodriguez's last Michigan team, 30-16 to Temple, 27-24 to 4-8 Rutgers and 26-0 to 6-6 Louisville. In fact, the Huskies' appearance may have signaled the beginning of the end for the BCS.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ction-college-football-mailbag/#ixzz2pXwL9HT9

That game, as much as anything else, made Louisville the preferred ACC choice when MD left for the B1G. It symbolized for many what was wrong with the BCS, and the Big East's inclusion. The mad scramble to draft Boise State and San Diego State to salvage our inclusion was unseemly and further emphasized the need to change the entire system. The P5 folks never liked Boise State beating them in BCS games. Never liked it. Never wanted BSU in there at all. But when Uconn got in, and then didn't perform, that was more than they could take. That signalled the end. I'm sure that game is etched in the mind of many, and will color perception for a long, long time. No one should ever doubt the monumental task facing Susan Herbst and Warde Manual, and the very fine job they are both doing with what they have to work with.

Reaction Score
The worst was obviously 2010 Connecticut, an 8-4 Big East champ that lost 30-10 to Rich Rodriguez's last Michigan team, 30-16 to Temple, 27-24 to 4-8 Rutgers and 26-0 to 6-6 Louisville. In fact, the Huskies' appearance may have signaled the beginning of the end for the BCS.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ction-college-football-mailbag/#ixzz2pXwL9HT9

That game, as much as anything else, made Louisville the preferred ACC choice when MD left for the B1G. It symbolized for many what was wrong with the BCS, and the Big East's inclusion. The mad scramble to draft Boise State and San Diego State to salvage our inclusion was unseemly and further emphasized the need to change the entire system. The P5 folks never liked Boise State beating them in BCS games. Never liked it. Never wanted BSU in there at all. But when Uconn got in, and then didn't perform, that was more than they could take. That signalled the end. I'm sure that game is etched in the mind of many, and will color perception for a long, long time. No one should ever doubt the monumental task facing Susan Herbst and Warde Manual, and the very fine job they are both doing with what they have to work with.

When you give credence to an article that blames UConn/Big East for the end of the BCS without mentioning the Big East/AAC was 9-7 (including this year) in BCS games while the ACC was 4-13 (including this year), you give credence to 2nd rate journalism.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
That game, as much as anything else, made Louisville the preferred ACC choice when MD left for the B1G.
What?!? I doubt the ACC looked at our 2010 BCS game and were like, "Man if only they won that game they totally would have been the ideal choice". I think the coach who was hired right after that game was the reason our football team went into the crapper and that fact, was why our perception of a football team at the time MD left, was the reason Louisville had a leg up. Let's also not discount the wheeling and dealing Jurich was able to do and Warde did not do.

Pundits can crap all over our BCS bid all they want but when our own fans do it, I just shake my head......

Reaction Score
If we had eked out two more wins, (Temple/RU) or at least one more, the perception would have been different. People here dont like to hear that but its the truth. Still UConn got in based on the rules in place, no need to apologize for that.

Reaction Score
Yeah we lost that game but 4 months later we became the only school to ever play in a BCS game and win a NC in hoops.. . I think?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The worst team was the 2004 Pitt Panthers, 4 loses, an OT win against 1AA Furman, another OT win over BC and 1 player drafted.

The 2010 had 4 draft picks that year, Reyes the year following. I'd also argue we were better than the 2008 Hawaii team
Not only did Pitt have all those results, they also got spanked by a non-AQ school in Utah. Granted it was a very good Utah team but it's still the perception that they didn't even lose to a power school like we did when we lost to Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
I've said it plenty of times before but outsiders and haters alike can screw off when talking about that game. I'm sure they didn't even watch the game and only read the box score and would be surprised to hear that we had the ball in Oklahoma territory down by only 2 scores with less than 12 minutes left in that game. Was our offense anemic? Yes to some degree. But why do some people think it is acceptable to say because we scored on special teams and defense it doesn't really count and we were a complete disgrace. I'm biased, I agree, but everyone is to some degree. Haters going to continue to hate.

Reaction Score
When you give credence to an article that blames UConn/Big East for the end of the BCS without mentioning the Big East/AAC was 9-7 (including this year) in BCS games while the ACC was 4-13 (including this year), you give credence to 2nd rate journalism.

Seriously. There was another BCS team that lost by 28 in their bowl game that year -- and ran the table on a terrible conference despite losing, at home, to a 6-6 Colonial Athletic Association team (!!!) that went below .500 in its conference. Why didn't Mandel pick on them?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=310030259

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Say what you will about UCONN's resume entering the game but the Big East was up for grabs that year and nobody but UCONN stepped up to claim it. The losses to Michigan, Temple and Rutgers that year were bad, no doubt about that. But as for the Fiesta Bowl itself, it was 34-20 with 8 1/2 to play. Not exactly nail biting but a MUCH better game than the Orange Bowl that year. Luck and Stanford shredded Va Tech from the get-go in the 2nd half.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've said it plenty of times before but outsiders and haters alike can screw off when talking about that game. I'm sure they didn't even watch the game and only read the box score and would be surprised to hear that we had the ball in Oklahoma territory down by only 2 scores with less than 12 minutes left in that game. Was our offense anemic? Yes to some degree. But why do some people think it is acceptable to say because we scored on special teams and defense it doesn't really count and we were a complete disgrace. I'm biased, I agree, but everyone is to some degree. Haters going to continue to hate.

Plus we had a coach that was already thinking about his dream job. His half-assed effort in that game was unforgivable.

Reaction Score
34-20 with 8 1/2 to play and we had the ball. 2 pick six's then result off our own guys hands. Compare the points we gave up to what Alabama just gave up to Oklahoma. We had none of the offensive production Bama had and the points given up was about the same, 48 vs 45 by Bama. Our defense put up a fight. That OK team had some people make the NFL and were very good group and we are the antichrist. It's BS.

Reaction Score
Preaching to choir here... Someone needs to take up the fight on the SI page above/elsewhere or it continues to be part of the narrative of UConn Football. Would love for one of the uconn bloggers to call him out w/ facts.

Reaction Score
Preaching to choir here... Someone needs to take up the fight on the SI page above/elsewhere or it continues to be part of the narrative of UConn Football. Would love for one of the uconn bloggers to call him out w/ facts.

The UConn horde would need to dispose of these first.

DSC_4694LR%5B3%5D.jpg

Reaction Score
Seriously. There was another BCS team that lost by 28 in their bowl game that year -- and ran the table on a terrible conference despite losing, at home, to a 6-6 Colonial Athletic Association team (!!!) that went below .500 in its conference. Why didn't Mandel pick on them?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=310030259
There were a lot of teams worse then that VT team, they had 1 bad loss. He picked the worse team, not the 15 worse. Not saying we were the worse, in fact I argued against us being, but that VT team is not even in the discuss in my opinion

Reaction Score
Yeah we lost that game but 4 months later we became the only school to ever play in a BCS game and win a NC in hoops.. . I think?

I think Florida won the national championship in basketball, then the next year won the BCS championship in football (over Ohio State), and then four months later won another basketball championship. I think this was in 2006 and 2007. A pretty impressive run.

Reaction Score

Not to beat this to death, but didn't louisville do this last year as well.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's a rare feat for an AD. Add the WBB FF and it's unique.

Reaction Score
I think Florida won the national championship in basketball, then the next year won the BCS championship in football (over Ohio State), and then four months later won another basketball championship. I think this was in 2006 and 2007. A pretty impressive run.
WHY ARE YOU BULLYING MEEEEEEEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01