Stewart... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stewart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am, like most BYs, thrilled at the prospects of yet another NPOY attending UConn.

But I am surprised that so much praise and high anticipations have been placed on the arrival of Breanna.

I certainly hope that she is able to come in and make meaningful contributions to making UConn a much better and stronger team.

But she will be a freshmen, right?

Then there are the changes in the level and quality of the competition that confronts all freshmen.

And what about the returning players who have already demonstrated that they are contributors? (Think Bria, Kelly, Stef, Caroline, Kiah and KML.)

There is also the question/problem of what is to be done about PT for Caroline and Kelly?

And she arrives along side two other outstanding freshmen in Moriah and Morgan.

Can we can assume that Kiah will continue to develop, and that Brianna might be at a whole different level next season?

Then the question of PT, as pointed out by other posters, could go beyond being a question to being a problem.

Unlike some posters, I don't assume that Breanna is a better 4 than Morgan.

Similarly, I don't assume that Breanna would be a better 3 than KML.

I do assume that Bria will be the starting 2. No matter what happens at the other positions.

I just can't see Moriah on the bench and Caroline starting in front of her. (Unless, of course, Caroline conditioning really improves over the summer. Which I hope it does.)

All of this is, of course, just my opinion.

Peace,

John Fryer

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Against St. John's she was hit at least four from the foul line and out to 18, she only missed two shots all night one of which I believe was an attempted put back. So the worst she was for the evening was 4 for 5, 80%. Against Rutgers she was 2 for 4 one of which was an at the buzzer forced 3, 50%. Last night she was 0-4 (Kaleena has had a couple of those and worse this year, it happens). That is 6-13 or 46.2% for the Big East tournament. She is an 82.5% foul shooter this year and 81.6% last year. I think it is worth the possibilities.

Against St. Johns:

First half
14:14 - missed foul line jumper (15 feet)
8:16 - hit turn around jumper in lane (8 feet)
4:08 - hit jumper from 1 foot behind foul line (16 feet)
2:49 - missed foul line jumper (15 feet)

Second half
9:36 - hit jumper from 1 foot behind foul line (16 feet)

That was it for outside shots. 3-5. One from 8 feet, so from the foul line and beyond, she was 2-4.

And those were 15-16 feet. None beyond that. Certainly not 18-20 feet.

She is not a great shoot much beyond 16 feet. Never has been. And with the makeup of the team going forward, she will never have to be. I think we saw her one 3 point shot.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ice, just checked the RU game tape too.

First half
18:17 - Missed jumper (17 feet)
13:36 - Missed jumper (16 feet)

Second half
15:01 - Missed jumper (3 pointer to beat the shot clock)
13:17 - Missed jumper (17 feet)

That's it. 0-4, not 2-4. And add in the 3-5 from the SJU game and the 0-4 last night you get 3-13.

That's 23%. Probably right around where she is for the season. Maybe even less. And only one more than 17 feet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, sorry then because that's not my memory which usually is pretty good on these things. I'll rewatch them and apologize.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, sorry then because that's not my memory which usually is pretty good on these things. I'll rewatch them and apologize.
You need to rewatch? You don't believe me?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You need to rewatch? You don't believe me?
No, I don't believe my recollection is that far off, usually, it serves me much better than that and I've already watched each game 3 times.

I never believe you. :cool: Just teasing.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No, I don't believe my recollection is that far off, usually, it serves me much better than that and I've already watched each game 3 times.

I never believe you. :cool: Just teasing.

Well, you will see my numbers are correct. 23% on those shots does not give me comfort that Steph can hit a reasonable percentage of 3's. Or even 15-17 foot shots.

You really think think this is a good strategy? You really haven't convinced me yet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, you will see my numbers are correct. 23% on those shots does not give me comfort that Steph can hit a reasonable percentage of 3's. Or even 15-17 foot shots.

You really think this is a good strategy? You really haven't convinced me yet.

Yes, I do think it is a good strategy. Whether it can be executed is a different question. It particularly has potential against a team like Baylor.

I wasn't really trying to convince you or even address you. You ended up in the midst of the discussion meyers and I were having but that was cool. That's why I suggested taking it off board. As I said I don't mind apologizing to you. I just have a very clear vision of what I am remembering and I am now trying to put it in place. I'm glad and appreciate you took the time to tie down the facts I had reconstructed mine from the box scores and memory. I still disagree with meyers points but disagreement isn't the end of the world. It is simply non-functional to say that you should not do something until you prove you can do it in a game. Doing it in practice as reported for Stef by some it at least a starting point to risk doing it in a game. Stef almost let one fly from on the 3pt line last night but decided against it.

When I said I never believe you I assumed you knew I was kidding thus the :cool:. I think I have disagreed with few things you have said.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am, like most BYs, thrilled at the prospects of yet another NPOY attending UConn.

But I am surprised that so much praise and high anticipations have been placed on the arrival of Breanna.
Remember when Maya and DT came in as freshmen? By all accounts she is on that level. Hence the high anticipation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

You really think think this is a good strategy? You really haven't convinced me yet.
You're right doggy, it's probably not a good strategy. Because there is presently no evidence (except some people said she hits some 3s in practice - no context to that though) that would point to her being a good 3 pt shooter.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes, I do think it is a good strategy. Whether it can be executed is a different question. It particularly has potential against a team like Baylor.

You won't see Steph take a 3 point shot again this year. 15-17 foot jumpers? I hope so. She needs to be a threat.

I wasn't really trying to convince you or even address you. You ended up in the midst of the discussion meyers and I were having but that was cool. That's why I suggested taking it off board.

I thought it was an interesting discussion. One I totally disagree with you on...lol.

As I said I don't mind apologizing to you. I just have a very clear vision of what I am remembering and I am now trying to put it in place. I'm glad and appreciate you took the time to tie down the facts I had reconstructed mine from the box scores and memory.

Yeah, your memory was pretty far off. Having her at 46.2% on jumpers from 15+ when she was actually 23% would make me think differently. I would think that low percentage of 15-17 foot shots would be indicative of her capabilities at the 3. The further out you are the lower your percentage (most of the time).

I still disagree with meyers points but disagreement isn't the end of the world. It is simply non-functional to say that you should not do something until you prove you can do it in a game. Doing it in practice as reported for Stef by some it at least a starting point to risk doing it in a game. Stef almost let one fly from on the 3pt line last night but decided against it.

She didn't do it because she is not that good at it. I don't see the good in the risk of her shooting 3's.

When I said I never believe you I assumed you knew I was kidding thus the :cool:. I think I have disagreed with few things you have said.

I knew you were kidding about that. But you said " I'll rewatch them and apologize. " I didn't think you would need to rewatch to apologize. I did that for you. That is why I asked if you believed me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, I didn't word that well I meant I will rewatch the game and I will as in doing it apologize. Both things I am willing to do.

Please understand I am not talking about Stef shooting 3s regularly which I have said several times. I am talking about letting her take a couple to see if she can establish the threat. Doing so in either of the first two rounds of the tournament would be fine. If she hits them which I still believe she can do and it forces Peters or Griner even two feet farther out it can be valuable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Please understand I am not talking about Stef shooting 3s regularly which I have said several times. I am talking about letting her take a couple to see if she can establish the threat. Doing so in either of the first two rounds of the tournament would be fine. If she hits them which I still believe she can do and it forces Peters or Griner even two feet farther out it can be valuable.
Even if she made a couple, she's not going to be a threat. Peters and Griner are not going to come out two feet further. They'd let her shoot 3s allll-dayyyyy-longgg. Heck they'd beg her to shoot 3s all day long.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Even if she made a couple, she's not going to be a threat. Peters and Griner are not going to come out two feet further. They'd let her shoot 3s allll-dayyyyy-longgg. Heck they'd beg her to shoot 3s all day long.
I totally agree. It's not a strategy that has any benefit. Not at a probable 20% completion rate.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
During a post-game show late last year, CD said that the coaches expected Stef would be able to extend her range to beyond the 3-point line before her UConn career is over. This was said in the context of Stef's demonstrated ability to hit some 15-17-foot shots last year. But I'm sure CD would amend last year's statement and say that Stef needs to show more consistency in hitting the mid-range jumper before she extends her range and she hasn't shown that consistency this year.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, and you said you've never seen her make one (or even take one).

That's like saying ...she gets up near the rim in warmups....she should dunk in a game.

No evidence.

In order to be taking 3 pt shots in a game (and be a threat - anyone can hoist up one), one should be taking and making lots of them in practice and warmups. Steph as far as you have said has done zero.

If you have some other evidence like....I've been to practice numerous times and she is knocking down 3's left and right.....then that would be something to base it on.
I prefer Dolson to take 10 steps forward than one step back! (she plays Griner once a year, 2 at the most)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
From Oklahoma to the last regular season game against Stef shot 62.5% on face up jumpers outside the foul line. Most were from 17-19 ft long. This was confirmed by play by plays vs video last evening. She was 5 for 8. OK through the Big East tournament she was was 7 for 17 or 42%. My memory was faulty for when she was hitting 50+% not that she had been shooting that well over several games. Against ND in the last game of the scheduled season she was 3 for 5 in the loss.

What is lost in any of this is the fact that Stef is already playing out in this area setting screens and passing. This is the present structure of the UConn offense. Clearly that is where Geno wants her. When teams double her down low as they have frequently this year bogging down the lane not just for Stef but such that cutters can't move through the lane this is how one opens up the offense. As long as Stef is playing as high as she has lately and could potentially shoot 30% or better yet 35% from up there it is worth the occasional shot to see if that can be established. If so, it is an add forcing the D out farther and giving even more room for those cutters and passing lanes.

For those afraid of letting Stef take that one step back let me remind you that anyone not named KML shot 8 for 42 on 3s in the Big East tournament. That's a whopping 8 for 42 or 19% from Hartley, Faris, Hayes, and anyone else and not that different from the 22% Stef shot during the Big East tournament on her long shots, in fact it is very similar adjusted for minute of error (about 18.6%). So I don't think one shot a game by Stef to see if she can establish the shot is a bad investment. It should only be done under spot up conditions which is when she shoots best. It may be a 50% increase in shot value for an increase of 15-25% in difficulty.

It is probably the comment by Chris that I was remembering from the coaches. Fellow players and a Boneyarder noted it, too. I apologize for the faultiness of my memory concerning the timings of Stef's shooting. I stand by the potential value of taking that one step back and testing it occasionally.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I prefer Dolson to take 10 steps forward than one step back! (she plays Griner once a year, 2 at the most)
Remember, Dolson has bigger steps than us. 10 steps would put her in the band section, but I get your point! ;-)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Remember, Dolson has bigger steps than us. 10 steps would put her in the band section, but I get your point! ;-)
Very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99