Steven Krajewski appreciation thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Steven Krajewski appreciation thread

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's not a fit talent wise for where we want to be as a program. That's not his fault but that doesn't mean we shouldn't move on. Mora needs a starting level QB, because for all the usual backup, local kid love that flows to Tyler Phommachanh, he isn't the answer either if he can't stay on the field. If he turns out to be better than his brother then we still need a quality backup.

Ita UConn tradition to throw as many question marks under center as we can and hope one sticks. We are short of question marks since we know that no QB on the roster with the possible exception of Tyler Phommachanh played well enough given multiple opportunities.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned Kenny Pickett above specifically because he's a somewhat similar QB package who did not have a great line in front of him at the start of his career, but now is arguably the best QB in the next draft as a 5th year senior. Nobody would've thought that 4, 3 or even 2 years ago. Pickett can run, but he is in no way a run-first QB. He is almost always looking downfield for a receiver.

You can argue that this year Pickett has a veteran line and Addison at WR, and I'd argue back that S-K would do far worse given those same advantages. I simply don't see that kind of future for S-K regardless of whatever program he's in and who's coaching him. Yes, coaches matter, but you also need to learn from experience and gain feel on your own.

I watch a lot of Pitt because my wife is Pitt alumnus and a season tix holder. When I'm talking about escaping from the pocket, I'm not talking simply about long runs once the defense has broken down. I'm talking about not consistently taking losses, sensing the pocket collapsing, buying time to find receivers, throwing on the run, and most importantly, actually completing those passes. I have no sense that S-K has improved in any of those areas, and possibly is even worse than last year.
I agree with some of your assements but your comparing 3-4 years of experience with Kenny Pickett as to 6-7 games for Steven Krajewski. What you fail to realize is he has never started a game before this year, only played one quarter his freshman year (Edsall screwed him over on that) played a little in 2019 (collarbone injury) and sat out the 2020 season. If you want to make comparisons at least compare apples to apples.

Reaction Score
He was recruited to run RE's system. Spanos/Giuffre are still running that. Was it a mistake to recruit someone like S-K? Possibly. Could he have become Kenny Pickett after 4 years of starting? I would highly doubt he'd come even remotely close.

We've all seen a lot of mediocre to bad QB play the past dozen seasons. Along the way there have been a few guys who got slaughtered but still managed to hit open receivers on the occasions they weren't being buried. Or who had better pocket presence and escape skills. And most importantly, actually had enough competence to give some hope.

There has never been a game where I felt S-K gave us hope.
He did give me hope against Vanderbilt. That was a win until the personal foul by a walk on in kickoff coverage.

Reaction Score
There are things that Steve could improve on but that should be addressed in practice. Going from primary to secondary receiver. Picking up blitz's pre-snap. Better throws on quick slants. No one can question his toughness. He has been able to keep us moving with his choices to run the ball. The Clemson QB would have struggled mightily with our offensive line blocking for him. Steve K must have confidence in himself to keep going out there against UCF and the blitz onslaught they were throwing at him, as we were unable to handle it, and giving us some drives that resulted in points. With Puma and Steve K returning we are not in bad shape. It is the scheme on offense, the teaching in practice, and the improvements in offensive line play that will yield the most improvement. We have receivers that are FBS quality. It seems in games we are not on the same page which can be fixed. OC and QB coach needed. Bigtime.

Reaction Score
He did give me hope against Vanderbilt. That was a win until the personal foul by a walk on in kickoff coverage.
The vandy game they were running a offense that best suited Steven Krajewski. Even first half of Yale they were calling plays he does better in. Then it’s almost as if the coaches a point shaving by changing the plays and killing they’re own drives an momentum on purpose

Reaction Score
I've been one of Steven Krajewski's biggest supporters based solely on what I saw him do in the GA state championship game in which he made great throws, especially on a one minute drive he lead that culminated with the go ahead touchdown with about a minute left in the game. Unfortunately, his defense committed four (yes, four) interference penalties in the last minute which enabled the other team to kick the game winning field goal.

He made great throws, on the money, to go the length of the field on that drive and, as I reflect on it, he was able to do that because he did have time to throw.

Reaction Score
I've been one of Steven Krajewski's biggest supporters based solely on what I saw him do in the GA state championship game in which he made great throws, especially on a one minute drive he lead that culminated with the go ahead touchdown with about a minute left in the game. Unfortunately, his defense committed four (yes, four) interference penalties in the last minute which enabled the other team to kick the game winning field goal.

He made great throws, on the money, to go the length of the field on that drive and, as I reflect on it, he was able to do that because he did have time to throw.
I also saw that game and he did a great job leading the team 80 yards downfield. If I recall there was a 4th down and 7 conversion he threw that kept the drive alive. Two of those penalties should not have been called but having too many men in the field (2 times in a row after a time out) is inexcusable. Steven Krajewski didn’t get developed properly since the time he’s been here. He is just now getting the game experience he needs to develop and make better decisions. However when you have a QB coach, that has never played a down in his college career, it’s hard for him to get the proper training he needs to fix whatever problems need to be corrected. I still have confidence that he will get better once we get a new QB coach. Chip Lindsey became available yesterday. He would be a good fit

Reaction Score
An OC can make a QB look good or bad. Look at this year's QB draft class in the NFL.

Mac Jones goes to a team with a great NFL head coach and a very experienced NFL OC. They have brought him along slowly and he is having success. In contrast, the New York Jets have a first year head coach with no head coaching experience and a first time NFL offensive coordinator and their QB, Zach Wilson, looks terrible.

If you put Mac Jones on the Jets and Zach Wilson on the Pats, I think we would have different views of how well they have played this season.
100 % disagree with you on this comparison. Mac Jones does have limitations but he knows how to manage a game - he takes what the defense gives him and is extremely accurate on short passes. Zach Wilson is the opposite - he throws into double coverage, and has made terrible decisions. Both Mike White and Joe Flacco have looked better by playing within the system.

Reaction Score
And you can absolutely respect the toughness of Steven Krajewski while also saying he is probably not an FBS quality qb.

It doesn’t matter how many stars or how many programs recruited you once the lights are on and you are playing the game. You are judged by how you play on the field, not who recruited you.

Reaction Score
I agree with some of your assements but your comparing 3-4 years of experience with Kenny Pickett as to 6-7 games for Steven Krajewski. What you fail to realize is he has never started a game before this year, only played one quarter his freshman year (Edsall screwed him over on that) played a little in 2019 (collarbone injury) and sat out the 2020 season. If you want to make comparisons at least compare apples to apples.
Not sure that is true. I thought he started at least 1 game in 19?

Regardless, I appreciate any kid who continues to persevere through the 3 ring circus we’ve become. I’d like to see him finish here, as I would most of the kids. But at this stage, Mora almost needs to pretend he was given an etch-a-sketch and shake it until everything is wiped clean, so we can restart.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
100 % disagree with you on this comparison. Mac Jones does have limitations but he knows how to manage a game - he takes what the defense gives him and is extremely accurate on short passes. Zach Wilson is the opposite - he throws into double coverage, and has made terrible decisions. Both Mike White and Joe Flacco have looked better by playing within the system.
I'd say it's both...the player and coaching. I really do think Zach would have had more success this year if he was in NE. The experience of the coaches in NE would have accelerated his development. He would be more disciplined.

I still think he will be good in NY...but it will take longer.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned Kenny Pickett above specifically because he's a somewhat similar QB package who did not have a great line in front of him at the start of his career, but now is arguably the best QB in the next draft as a 5th year senior. Nobody would've thought that 4, 3 or even 2 years ago. Pickett can run, but he is in no way a run-first QB. He is almost always looking downfield for a receiver.

You can argue that this year Pickett has a veteran line and Addison at WR, and I'd argue back that S-K would do far worse given those same advantages. I simply don't see that kind of future for S-K regardless of whatever program he's in and who's coaching him. Yes, coaches matter, but you also need to learn from experience and gain feel on your own.

I watch a lot of Pitt because my wife is Pitt alumnus and a season tix holder. When I'm talking about escaping from the pocket, I'm not talking simply about long runs once the defense has broken down. I'm talking about not consistently taking losses, sensing the pocket collapsing, buying time to find receivers, throwing on the run, and most importantly, actually completing those passes. I have no sense that S-K has improved in any of those areas, and possibly is even worse than last year.
I think Steven Krajewski would do just fine under better circumstances. Do you think KP would still have the same numbers if he were here? I’ll guarantee you he would not. You can speculate all you want but to say Steven Krajewski is worse than last year just shows your bias and prejudices towards him, since we didn’t even play last year.

Reaction Score
For the Steve K fans, would you want him to be QB1 next season? Or go with Tyler Phommachanh and transfers instead?

Reaction Score
For the Steve K fans, would you want him to be QB1 next season? Or go with Tyler Phommachanh and transfers instead?
I would need to see what Steve looks like with a better offense. Most likely, Tyler will look better next year, simply because of his elusiveness. I doubt we’ll have a great OL next year even with plenty of improvement and portal players. However, Steve is a pretty good QB and in a solid offense I think he can be very accurate and throw the long ball very well.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Gonna give this thread a bump. The kid gave it his all today. He was willing to take big hits to get yards and was tough in the pocket. He has taken his lumps in the BY, sometimes for good reason and other times not.
That TD pass yo Clercius said he didn't get here by accident. His legs are better than most thought.
I'd love to see what a REAL QB coach could do with him. I'm not writing him off. He could still be much more than we've seen. Hoping he stays and Marinelli comes to build on his strengths.
He proved today he was much better than Jack Zergiotis and anybody left in the sparse stable we have.
Say what you want, but the kid has guts

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gonna give this thread a bump. The kid gave it his all today. He was willing to take big hits to get yards and was tough in the pocket. He has taken his lumps in the BY, sometimes for good reason and other times not.
That TD pass yo Clercius said he didn't get here by accident. His legs are better than most thought.
I'd love to see what a REAL QB coach could do with him. I'm not writing him off. He could still be much more than we've seen. Hoping he stays and Marinelli comes to build on his strengths.
He proved today he was much better than Jack Zergiotis and anybody left in the sparse stable we have.

Depending on what type of O Mora wants to run either Steven Krajewski or Tyler Phommachanh has to go.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I'd take Shirreffs over Steven Krajewski in both toughness and ability.

Steven Krajewski's main positive attribute is that even though he's not a D1 level QB, he's still better than Jack Zergiotis.
Seeing as they didn’t play together, you can’t do that.

Reaction Score
Steve's problem is accuracy. The play before the touchdown to Clercius was case in point. Too many inaccurate throws lead to stalled drives. His ❤, is not in question. Tough, tough kid.

Reaction Score
Exactly I’ve said it time and time again to the point I know I piss some of y’all off. However I’ve watched him grow at Colquitt he was on recruiting boards for auburn ga and even bama. Everyone was waiting on fields to make his decision the he was roped in by lashlee. To even get invited to throw for those schools is a honor. He maybbe a sophomore but due to no development it’s like he just graduated. Watch his high school tape accuracy is it a problem it just needs to be worked on at this level. His leadership is second to none and a great person for the community school and locker room

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom