Stephen A and Dan O on UConn bball | The Boneyard

Stephen A and Dan O on UConn bball

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's low key embarrassing for Dan and insulting to the program and staff.
He's NEVER been to a game? He's JUST realizing how good they are how physical the game is?
Spare me your vacuous platitudes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He's NEVER been to a game? He's JUST realizing how good they are how physical the game is?
I dunno, Dan is always talking up UConn on ESPN. He’s a great ambassador for the school

There are huge swaths of the population that have little to no knowledge of women’s basketball and now Dan and Smith have introduced the sport to some potential new fans. Anything that helps grow the game is good

Reaction Score
Thank you. I find it insulting and disgusting. Another example of a sports personality that doesn’t know much about women’s basketball except the name of Caitlin Clark. Ugg. Disappointed in both of them.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Well he’s not wrong about it being physical.

But let me get this straight. He was the UConn QB from 2001-2005, a stretch that included three national titles, the great 2002 team, Taurasi, Bird, Cash, etc. - and this is the first women’s game he ever went to?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well he’s not wrong about it being physical.

But let me get this straight. He was the UConn QB from 2001-2005, a stretch that included three national titles, the great 2002 team, Taurasi, Bird, Cash, etc. - and this is the first women’s game he ever went to?
Perhaps? I don't remember the teams supporting each other as much as we see now. The coaches have really worked hard to support each others' programs and it shows.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Perhaps? I don't remember the teams supporting each other as much as we see now. The coaches have really worked hard to support each others' programs and it shows.
Yep. Edsall, Dan’s coach, wasn’t known for his warm embrace of anything other than his team. Coach Mora is the exact opposite - you see him at all kinds of UConn games

Reaction Score
Thank you. I find it insulting and disgusting. Another example of a sports personality that doesn’t know much about women’s basketball except the name of Caitlin Clark. Ugg. Disappointed in both of them.
Smith probably had to be told who Bueckers was in the pre show prep. And Dan O probably only knew her because she's at UConn.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Both announcers were checking Dan's seeming ignorance. Stephen A knows UConn Women's Basketball.

Smith probably had to be told who Bueckers was in the pre show prep. And Dan O probably only knew her because she's at UConn.

Reaction Score
Nice to hear. Also of note Steven A had a show a long time ago and one of his guests was Diana Taurasi.
And Molly is also a UCONN grad.
She gives it to all of them when she has a chance in re to UCONN.

Also of note- a lot of fun a few years back when Paige had that epic game vs NC Sate. Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser on ESPN Pardon The Interruption had Geno come on the show and talk about the game and Paige etc.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of my biggest frustrations here on the Boneyard is seeing how people pre-judge others without a shred of knowledge, assuming they know the motives or thoughts of others.

I’ve watched Dan Orlovsky since he was unexpectedly tossed into the starting QB role at UConn a few games into his true freshman season. I learned that this talented young guy had offers from bigger, better football schools but Dan wanted to stay in his home state and play for UConn. He had well-known and well-publicized disputes with his father, who nagged Dan incessantly to transfer but Dan was steadfast in his loyalty to UConn.

And you know what? The football team lost, a lot, in the dreadful old stadium before Rentschler Field but Dan and his teammates turned it around and took UConn to its first bowl game. That was the first, and biggest, step in the growth of the team to that date.

Could Dan have gone to some women’s games? Yeah, but he was probably busy fending off his weirdo father (who chose to broadcast his spat with his son in the media) and trying to please the other guy, Edsall, who could not have been easy to play for. All while trying to learn how to be a starting QB and, oh yeah, go to some classes.

Now Dan has a young daughter and like many people here on the ‘Yard got more in depth exposure through her fandom. He’s always supported the team from afar, as with other UConn teams, but now he seems to have become a fan. Is he so different from other fathers of daughters?

Before ripping up people, how about getting some background on them first? Then you can try to understand where they’re coming from.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was a great coach but he and Geno never saw eye to eye (some say a huge ego problem) and for that reason he basically ignored the UConn women's basketball successes. To many that will remain a stain on his UConn legacy.

Reaction Score
Being late to the dance is better than not going at all. People like Paige and Caitlin Clark are bringing new people to the game and that is what is needed for the WNBA to become relevant on it's own. I have been a fan of Women's BB for a very long time and love watching a good college game but really not interested at all in watching the pro level. I do think players that are up and coming could change that and truly hope they do.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Calhoun was a great coach but he and Geno never saw eye to eye (some say a huge ego problem) and for that reason he basically ignored the UConn women's basketball successes. To many that will remain a stain on his UConn legacy.
Calhoun was a big fan of the women and many, if not most, of the players knew him personally. He and Geno both said they never developed a friendship because they’re different generations and, at the time, were at different places in their lives.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun was a big fan of the women and many, if not most, of the players knew him personally. He and Geno both said they never developed a friendship because they’re different generations and, at the time, were at different places in their lives.
If I recall correctly, Calhoun worked out at the same time Sue Bird was rehabbing her knee.

UConn should be indebted to Dan O for giving legitimacy to UConn Football. The victory over Iowa State was first big win for UConn. Dan and Chris Smith are similar since they both were important in-state recruits for their respective programs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Calhoun worked out at the same time Sue Bird was rehabbing her knee.

UConn should be indebted to Dan O for giving legitimacy to UConn Football. The victory over Iowa State was first big win for UConn. Dan and Chris Smith are similar since they both were important in-state recruits for their respective programs.
And Nykesha

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
OK, one more time. The question is, did any of these doubters actually watch the game? The way the game was being called meant, at least to me, that if they did call a foul, then the pushback would have been worse. There were much more worse fouls that were not called during the game, and for those who just watched the play on slow motion and chimed in should not even be heard publicly. The refs favorited Baylors physical style of play, and when they don't get a call that they themselves may have committed during the game themselves, it's just mindboggling how anyone would believe this was a bad call. Watch the game Bozos. LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom