Stef Dolson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stef Dolson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A certain indicator of the quality of her play is the extent to which posters on that other board have become so obsessed about her game. So pathetically delusional.
Yes. Their only consolation is that: 1. Their team will be much improved next year, 2. Their recruits will be far superior to those of any other team, 3. This year's team was best in the nation and only bad officiating kept them from the National Championship they so richly deserved.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
You know times are tough when every class that comes in is going to save the program. Didn't we hear that last year about Massengale? I like when frosh can come in and add a little bit to an existing core, taking their time to get the feel and then taking more ownership as the years go on.

But that's a luxury not every program has.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stef does indeed take a physical beating, and I think that impacted her significantly earlier in the year. She seems to have adapted to it.

Fans of privileged programs often feel under attack when the program begins to perform at a level below what they're accustomed to. The response is to lash out at any program that's successful. UConn is an easy target, obviously, but they don't like Baylor or ND either. It's unbecoming, and a cautionary tale for UConn fans. It won't be any more becoming if/when we do it.

Reaction Score
Yes. Their only consolation is that: 1. Their team will be much improved next year, 2. Their recruits will be far superior to those of any other team, 3. This year's team was best in the nation and only bad officiating kept them from the National Championship they so richly deserved.
They sound like a broken record as that line of thinking gets older, and older...and older!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I like how Stef holds the ball high when she has it, both on offense and on rebounds. So many big players, men and women, do not understand this simple concept. This is one of Heather Buck's problems, IMHO. She brings the ball down, where the little gnats can swat at it. When you're 6'5", and hold the ball above your head, no one is going to take it away. Stef seems to understand this concept completely.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Just got 5 more of the "Home sweet home to me" orange tees, and after doing the customary viewing of the talk I can at least be glad I'll have something to wear while cheering Stef on in her WWF matches in the off season.

Main thing over there is that things are getting much quieter and resigned and there are far fewer responses than in past years when things were hopping. Main reason to pay a visit is the endless speculation about PHS, the coaching job, and recruiting effects. It is indeed a very involved situation for all coaches, players, and recruits.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hmmm...If Stef tips the ball to Tiff, who gets credit for the rebound?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I like how Stef holds the ball high when she has it, both on offense and on rebounds. So many big players, men and women, do not understand this simple concept. This is one of Heather Buck's problems, IMHO. She brings the ball down, where the little gnats can swat at it. When you're 6'5", and hold the ball above your head, no one is going to take it away. Stef seems to understand this concept completely.
You wouldn't know that to listen to Meghan Culmo complain about Stef always bringing the ball down to her waist. I'm with you I think she does a very good job at it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Now that Stef has 2 seasons under her belt, I will share something I heard from an "expert" in the summer before Stef's freshman year. I was writing the articles on the incoming freshmen, including Stef, and in speaking with several people (including her high school & AAU coaches, a sportswriter from her home town and others), one of the folks that knew Stef's game well told me she would be "a role player at best", that she wasn't athletic enough to dominate in the post or possessed of great scoring ability. This person's opinion was that Stef was a great kid, a hard worker that would be competent, but not a major player.

So, next time you read some expert's opinion on a player, take it with a grain of salt.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You wouldn't know that to listen to Meghan Culmo complain about Stef always bringing the ball down to her waist. I'm with you I think she does a very good job at it.

Earlier in the year Dolson frequently brought the ball down where shorter opponents could get at it. It was discussed here on the board. I agree that is no longer the case.

Reaction Score
Tiff. Point well made.
Hardly seems fair. In football you can get half a sack. Why not BB?
I know, the refs/judges are too dumb again (like in my delayed foul idea).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that Stef has 2 seasons under her belt, I will share something I heard from an "expert" in the summer before Stef's freshman year. I was writing the articles on the incoming freshmen, including Stef, and in speaking with several people (including her high school & AAU coaches, a sportswriter from her home town and others), one of the folks that knew Stef's game well told me she would be "a role player at best", that she wasn't athletic enough to dominate in the post or possessed of great scoring ability. This person's opinion was that Stef was a great kid, a hard worker that would be competent, but not a major player.

So, next time you read some expert's opinion on a player, take it with a grain of salt.
images

Reaction Score
I really worry about KML's shooting. She was 2 of 10 in the first half when the game was tight and this is something we have seen a lot from her. Jacking up jump shots or 3's only to shoot at a low percentage. I don't think we can beat ND or our next opponent [if there is one] unless she has a game like she did against Baylor in December. She ended up going 5 of 14 last night after going 3 of 4 in the second half. Versus Baylor she hit 6 of 12 after a 2 of 8 first half. We need her to be close to 50% for the whole game.

She was 8 of 14 in the ND win.

Reaction Score
One other thing to add about Stef is her toughness. My dad was at both games - vs. PSU and KY. he said that there could have been about 10 more fouls called on KY players who were mauling Stef. the amount of physical attacking she gets in the post is mind-boggling. i can't believe her entire upper body is not bruised up after the last 2 games. she's so strong, and all her the work she's put in to help her strength and endurance was on full display. I agree she hasn't had the season many thought, but she's certainly found her groove late in the season...
I think her toughness improved later in the season, corresponding in her improved play. There was a time that Stef would shy away...not anymore! She's had a really good post season so far, hopefully she can keep that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom