Stef Dolson | The Boneyard

Stef Dolson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really impressed with her stamina in tonights very fast paced game. Played 38 minutes and still looked pretty good at the end. According to the announcers one facet of KY's game plan was to wear Stef out. Didn't work. Great game Stef!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stef made another post- season tournament team. Congrats to her!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She hasn't had the sophomore season people expected of her, but she seems to have found her groove late in the season. Tiff had a great overall game, but Stef may have been the best player in the first half. And boy was she needed during that stretch.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
But Peck said she was getting tired! During the FIRST half!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't know where Dolson has been for most of the season, but in the last few weeks I think she has become the player that everyone expected.

Burke said that she had a "tearful" one on one with Auriemma where he expressed his disatisfaction with her performance. She could have reacted to that negatively but instead she chose to up her game. That says a lot about her character.

I think I'll climb off the fence and become a Dolson fan. I'll try hard not to bitch too much about her rebounding.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think I'll climb off the fence and become a Dolson fan. I'll try hard not to bitch too much about her rebounding.

There was more than one play last night where Kentucky was able to get an offensive board that I thought they never should have gotten. In both those plays I believe, but certainly one in particular, Stef was a short distance away from the free-falling rebound and a Wildcat swooped in and got the ball and scored. What Stef was doing was severely and unrelentingly sealing off her "man" from the board which she did not let up on to try to get the ball.

I think she has taken on and focused on that role whenever possible - take out the opposing center from the play and let the others collect the board. I get the feeling that she feels that is more effective that directly battling for the rebound in a jumping contest that she's likely to lose more often than not (and likely foul in the process) against an athletic type opponent.

It seems to me to be an attempt to get the maximum (at the team level) out of what she has to give as an individual.

I may be wrong and over-reading it but I hope not as I like it. This team has succeeded and will succeed only as a team. No AA swooping down to save the day this year. Gotta have all the pieces working together to have a shot next week.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There was more than one play last night where Kentucky was able to get an offensive board that I thought they never should have gotten. In both those plays I believe, but certainly one in particular, Stef was a short distance away from the free-falling rebound and a Wildcat swooped in and got the ball and scored. What Stef was doing was severely and unrelentingly sealing off her "man" from the board which she did not let up on to try to get the ball.

I think she has taken on and focused on that role whenever possible - take out the opposing center from the play and let the others collect the board. I get the feeling that she feels that is more effective that directly battling for the rebound in a jumping contest that she's likely to lose more often than not (and likely foul in the process) against an athletic type opponent.

It seems to me to be an attempt to get the maximum (at the team level) out of what she has to give as an individual.

I may be wrong and over-reading it but I hope not as I like it. This team has succeeded and will succeed only as a team. No AA swooping down to save the day this year. Gotta have all the pieces working together to have a shot next week.

That is her constant approach, biff. She has done it all year. She keeps others off the boards while Tiff, Kelly and KML swoop in and clean up the balls. She, also frequently tips ball out to her teammates where they are less contested. Last night, however, she still gathered in 8 of her own.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Outside of her rebounding, which has been better of late, her offensive game is causing teams fits. First, the 15 foot and in jumper. Most big post players do not have the consistency from that range. And she can go inside and shoot with either the left or right hand. But most impressive is her passing ability! When was the last time you saw a 6' 5" post with four or more assist per game!

She may not be the best center inWCBB, but she darn good and I'm glad she is at Uconn.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If UConn should end up facing Baylor, Stef hitting from 15+, and Bria/KML hitting threes, will be critical. Griner will come out against perimeter shooters, as she showed against Tennessee. If Stef forces her to do so, it completely changes the game.

And in the immediate future, Stef hitting those shots will be critical against ND too. We will need every point we can get.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A certain indicator of the quality of her play is the extent to which posters on that other board have become so obsessed about her game. So pathetically delusional.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A certain indicator of the quality of her play is the extent to which posters on that other board have become so obsessed about her game. So pathetically delusional.
It is amazing.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The funny thing about that is that I don't see UT ever recruiting a player like Stef these days. They seem to favor big, strong, athletic players who might not have the hands, or feet of a true top post, but can rebound and play physically. Not saying one is better than the other, but Geno seemed to see Stef's potential because she has great hands and vision, which makes up for shortcomings in other areas.

Maybe UT just can't fathom how a player like Stef has developed into a very good and sometimes great post player? And more than that, she fits into the offensive scheme so well that it allows her to be successful at the things she is good at, i.e. finishing around the basket and that nice 15-foot jump shot.

I think they can't comprehend a post developing like that. It's called coaching :)

Reaction Score
I think they can't comprehend a post developing like that. It's called coaching :)

It is not just coaching. They can't comprehend why anyone would recruit a post player that passes the ball. Goes against everything they believe in. The only pass a post should make is a missed shot.

I thought it was hilarious when there was that article about how that coaching staff looked at the best teams and realized how many more assists those teams have, and how they were going to work on passing the ball. Geno is a coaching wizard, but even he would tell them that the biggest reason his teams pass the ball well is that he actually prioritizes passing ability in recruiting at ALL positions. Geno recruits posts that come in with the skills to pass and shoot and works with them on the other stuff. You can't suddenly decide to teach your team to pass the ball effectively.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
According to the announcers one facet of KY's game plan was to wear Stef out. Didn't work. Great game Stef!
We played a lot of zone last night and didn't do a lot of pressing.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

They are envious! And I like it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing to add about Stef is her toughness. My dad was at both games - vs. PSU and KY. he said that there could have been about 10 more fouls called on KY players who were mauling Stef. the amount of physical attacking she gets in the post is mind-boggling. i can't believe her entire upper body is not bruised up after the last 2 games. she's so strong, and all her the work she's put in to help her strength and endurance was on full display. I agree she hasn't had the season many thought, but she's certainly found her groove late in the season...

Reaction Score
Really impressed with her stamina in tonights very fast paced game. Played 38 minutes and still looked pretty good at the end. According to the announcers one facet of KY's game plan was to wear Stef out. Didn't work. Great game Stef!
Once Steph learns how to "use " her body she is going to be nearly unguardable. In the men's game , players of her stature learn to body up an opponent. Slowly, but constantly leaning on the defender, and feeling weak points. She has a growing high post game, but when she learns this part of the "big man's" game, she will be something special.

Reaction Score
One other thing to add about Stef is her toughness. My dad was at both games - vs. PSU and KY. he said that there could have been about 10 more fouls called on KY players who were mauling Stef. the amount of physical attacking she gets in the post is mind-boggling. i can't believe her entire upper body is not bruised up after the last 2 games. she's so strong, and all her the work she's put in to help her strength and endurance was on full display. I agree she hasn't had the season many thought, but she's certainly found her groove late in the season...
STEFF really has been fantastic since<and I have to repeat this because ut us not a coincidence> Geno ripped into her and had her crying weeks ago! Both Geno and Chris are brilliant together in knowing the buttons to push!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom