Steak... which one and how do you like it cooked | The Boneyard

Steak... which one and how do you like it cooked

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm moving away from chicken, hotdogs and hamburgers... and I'm looking at steak but need more info/ideas!
any special sides?
685e80d81dbbf168499ea485d08c83202dd288cb4c5982c8577982d15661e836.jpg

please please please... lets talk about PREPARING and EATING the steak and not about everything else. If you dont eat meat feel free to keep scrolling onto the next topic

Reaction Score
NY Strip medium rare..............Whole Foods, one inch thick...........good marbling............little bit of salt..........on the grill..............don't overcook on one side..........had one last night.............that's my quota for the week

Reaction Score
I'm moving away from chicken, hotdogs and hamburgers... and I'm looking at steak but need more info/ideas!
any special sides?

please please please... lets talk about PREPARING and EATING the steak and not about everything else. If you dont eat meat feel free to keep scrolling onto the next topic
Venison, a health food , grilled rare and juicy! Unbeatable.
Alternative, lamb the same way.

Reaction Score
I agree with the rib eye. Only I sear it on the grill on one side for two minutes and the other side for two minutes and then cook it on indirect heat for about 4 to 5 minutes. I get all of my beef free since I raise about 1000 head of Angus on free range on my ranch. One beef will take care of us for almost a year depending upon how many parties we have.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I prefer a medium rare rib eye steak with béarnaise butter which is béarnaise sauce minus the eggs mixed with butter or margarine. Now for me béarnaise sauce is absolutely the best but I am a tad lazy and the compound béarnaise butter is quicker. Although I only do steak sparingly since this method would give a cardiologist a heart attack. When the charcoal is ready I dump them into the grill from my chimney starter, open the top and bottom vents all the way, and close the lid to get the temperature north of 500 degrees. Then I simply salt and pepper the steak and place it on the grill. I then smear some of the béarnaise butter on the steak. I leave it on the grill for 4 to 4.5 minutes depending on the thickness. If you like grill marks then rotate the steak 90 degrees at the 2 minute mark. For me grill marks don't do anything to the flavor so I skip this step. Flip the steak and butter it. Cook for another 4 minutes. The time is truly dependent on the thickness of the steak and the heat of your fire. So when is it medium rare? When it feels like the base of your thumb when you make an "OK" by touching the tip of your thumb with the tip of you middle finger. So press your steak with a finger and then the base of your thumb. When they feel the same firmness … eat meat! For the fat on the edges of the steak I use tongs to hold the edges to the heat to crisp the fat to finish the steak.

So how to make the compound béarnaise butter? I don't know the exact measurements. I just eyeball everything. Here is my guess at a starting point, then you manipulate it to your taste. For one steak mix together all of the ingredients below. Years ago I think I started with the béarnaise sauce recipe in the Joy of Cooking which includes chervil. Some cooks say no no to chervil in béarnaise but they are wrong. Chervil really adds a wonderful taste to the butter.
3 Tbsp butter or margarine a little less then room temperature
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp chervil

Taste it to see if you think it needs more vinegar or lemon juice or herbs etc. Customize it to your palate. Oh! By the way when winter comes you can do steak in a heavy oven safe frying pan which actually is how many upscale steakhouses do steak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thick ribeye on charcoal only. Prefer pink center but that is just personal preference. Do not use fuel to start rather a chimney with one and a half pages of newspaper will do.

Reaction Score
If you like to use natural charcoal, I learned this one from the fine folks at Al Forno in Providence: When your charcoal is blazing red hot, throw your NY Strip or Ribeye directly on the coals, about 2 minutes for each side. Perfect char on the outside and beautifully medium rare inside.... and No. The charcoal does not stick to the meat.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
When I was little and someone asked my grandfather what he wanted for dinner, he always said that he would like a big steak smothered in little steaks. Today, I put steak in my drum smoker for about 8 minutes per side, and it comes out magical.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A 1 1/2" thick "cowboy" steak (a bone in rib eye). Grilled medium rare over charcoal. Salt and pepper only. It is a sin to put anything else on a great steak.

My 4th of July "steak" is going to be a rack of grilled St Louis style ribs (way better than baby backs) with my own rub, an apple cider mop and finished with Sweet Baby Ray's. Grilled corn, baked beans, a shredded cabbage salad and a Long Trail Ale - or two.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My normal go to for grilling is bone in rib eye but my wife made a flank steak with the marinade below last week and it was amazing:

1/2 cup Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup Lime Juice, Fresh Squeezed
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Sugar

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Out two favorite steaks are the filet mignon and a rib-eye. We get our steaks cut to order most of the time. The filet about an inch and three quarters and the rib-eye about an inch. After the steaks thaw and are still cold, I place them in the refrig to keep them cold. About a 1/2 hour before cooking, I season the steaks with rub. We have three rubs from Cabelas, Mountain Man Bourbon, Kansas City rub and Whiskey Steak. Then I press the rub into the meat with the palm of my hand - both sides.

I use a propane grill. Pre-heat the grill and then turn the temp control down to 50%. I coat the grates with olive oil to keep the meet from sticking. For the filet, 3 minutes on each side. For the rib-eye, 2+ minutes on each side. We like our steaks "red but dead." Perfection every time!

Since we live in Florida, corn on the cob is an option for most of the year. My wife makes fantastic steak fries. Nothing better than a good steak and fries. Since the have a farmer's market come into the community twice every week, we can get fresh asparagus. Fresh asparagus wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill is magnificent! I use one of those grill pads when cooking the asparagus on the grill. Works great.

As for beverages, my wife prefers a Chardoney properly chilled or vodka and cranberry juice. Me, I like bourbon. My choice is Knobb Creek on the rocks. If its beer, either Sam Adams Boston lager or Yingling lager.

Reaction Score
Filet Mignon 1 1/2 inch thick, pan seared and finished in a 400 degree oven to 150 degree. I learned to do it this way from a "mini" Beef Wellington recipe.

And while you at it; try 1 inch thick pork loin filets, coated with olive oil and rubbed with a mixture of brown sugar,cinnamon and Slap Ya Mama (available at WalMart) and then baked at 425 for 14 minutes, turn and 12 to 16 minutes more to an internal temp of 140 degrees

Reaction Score
Ribeye for prosperous times and chuck eye for everyday, both thick cut. Well butchered chuck eye gives you the flavor and marbling of more expensive cuts and if you don't overcook it, less chewiness than most would think. either way, I cook them on our mini gas grill, trying to remember to pay close attention so they come out exactly at medium rare. Then I leave one on a minute more for my wife. I've tried and for the life of me cannot find a way to cook a strip steak so it is not tougher and less tasty than a ribeye. So I know the NY strip is a favorite of some, but it's way down my list. Generally stores have them and ribeyes for the same price. If it comes to that, I take ribeyes every time.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
any special sides?

Porterhouse or T-Bone on my grill, seasoned with ground peppercorn, sea salt, and a pinch of Zatarain's Creole Seasoning on both sides. Seared on both sides for about 2 minutes, then put on low heat for about 4 minutes each side. Comes out medium rare, juicy and delicious.

Reaction Score
Porterhouse is the best of both worlds(strip and filet) cooked on a hot grill to sear in the juices. An internal temp around 150 degrees for a perfect medium with a warm pink center. Seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper and served with a pad of herb infused butter on top. That my friends is heaven on Earth!

Reaction Score
Porterhouse is the best of both worlds(strip and filet) cooked on a hot grill to sear in the juices. An internal temp around 150 degrees for a perfect medium with a warm pink center. Seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper and served with a pad of herb infused butter on top. That my friends is heaven on Earth!

I think it's fair to say that high heat and butter are why restaurant steaks beat home cooked steaks (when the meat is of the same quality) most of the time............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom