OT: - Steak Thread Reopened | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak Thread Reopened

Reaction Score
It's basically a cut from the round with the fat cap left on.

It's like sirloin, but is a little trendy right now. If you have a decent butcher, you can get it pretty easily.

In the U.S. it's called a culotte. My father would often bring them home from the plant when I was a kid -- in the 80's nobody wanted them. They make a very good small roast.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In the U.S. it's called a culotte. My father would often bring them home from the plant when I was a kid -- in the 80's nobody wanted them. They make a very good small roast.
Reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from the show “Soap,” when Burt says “These aren’t pants; these are culottes.”

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
One of my good friends whom li met in frats married a Brazilian girl.
He swears by a cut of steak called picanha (pee-khan-yah). I’m a novice in steaks but I know what I like. I don’t know if it’s better than wagyu, Kobe, mignon or anything else you experts know about it but it was very tender, delicious and about $7/pound.
If you are in the Hartford area, you can get it at casa Brasíl in park road.

Picanha is nothing special in the world of steaks. My wife is Portuguese and in traveling her homeland picanha is the most popular cut of beef they have, but steaks cuts are not popular there. My father in law says the beef cuts are crap in Portugal as compared to the cuts you will typically see in an American butcher shop. That has more to do with raising cattle being expensive as compared to the more popular meats over there. Not saying it is not good just if I go to a steakhouse you will not see me order a sirloin roast. Then again I am also the one who thinks filet mignon is the most overrated cut out there. Give me a ribeye, strip, skirt, or hanger all you others can keep the near flavorless tenderloin.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
This winter I got quite proficient doing Sicilian in my regular oven. So I’m kind of enamored with that style right now as I’ve dug into it.

But now it looks nice out and about time to pull the pizza oven out of the garage. And start with the thin crusts again.

I too have really dove in to the Sicilian style. Typically, make pizza every Friday whether it be in my pizza oven outside or in the oven. Curious do you do the parbake crust method or more of a grandma style Sicilian? I have fallen in love with the simplicity and taste of the grandma style (you do not parbake the dough like a typical Sicilian).

Reaction Score
Picanha is nothing special in the world of steaks. My wife is Portuguese and in traveling her homeland picanha is the most popular cut of beef they have, but steaks cuts are not popular there. My father in law says the beef cuts are crap in Portugal as compared to the cuts you will typically see in an American butcher shop. That has more to do with raising cattle being expensive as compared to the more popular meats over there. Not saying it is not good just if I go to a steakhouse you will not see me order a sirloin roast. Then again I am also the one who thinks filet mignon is the most overrated cut out there. Give me a ribeye, strip, skirt, or hanger all you others can keep the near flavorless tenderloin.
I agree on the filet as I wont touch it. When going out to a nice steakhouse people tend to gravitate to the filet's. I dont know what they are thinking.

Ribeye all the way.

Reaction Score
I agree on the filet as I wont touch it. When going out to a nice steakhouse people tend to gravitate to the filet's. I dont know what they are thinking.

Ribeye all the way.

Filet/tenderloin is a flavor absorber -- good with sauces, glazes etc. Standing alone as a grilled steak is not in its wheelhouse, but some people prioritize tenderness over flavor.

If you want to try something that works really well with tenderloin, take the head roast, butterfly it, rub it with salt, pepper, garlic and cumin, grill it on a super hot grill (or sear in a cast iron skillet), leaving the middle cool. Then take the butterflied roast, stuff the seams with bleu cheese, tie it up, cook in a 400 degree oven for maybe 10 minutes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Then again I am also the one who thinks filet mignon is the most overrated cut out there. Give me a ribeye, strip, skirt, or hanger all you others can keep the near flavorless tenderloin.'

yes. yes, indeedy. and hamburger. always hamburger. homer simpson responds to a waitress question 'and to drink, sir?'' ….. 'Meatballs!' sounds about right.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
agree about filet, I mean I love filet, no one here would not eat it, its a fricking steak. but Im not ordering it out at a good steak house.

Unless its A5 Wagyu. That changes things a bit

51neteBGabL._SX355_.jpg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I too have really dove in to the Sicilian style. Typically, make pizza every Friday whether it be in my pizza oven outside or in the oven. Curious do you do the parbake crust method or more of a grandma style Sicilian? I have fallen in love with the simplicity and taste of the grandma style (you do not parbake the dough like a typical Sicilian).
look no further than this recipe. Its perfect.

Sicilian Pizza With Pepperoni and Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe

Reaction Score
One of my good friends whom li met in frats married a Brazilian girl.
He swears by a cut of steak called picanha (pee-khan-yah). I’m a novice in steaks but I know what I like. I don’t know if it’s better than wagyu, Kobe, mignon or anything else you experts know about it but it was very tender, delicious and about $7/pound.
If you are in the Hartford area, you can get it at casa Brasíl in park road.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
I agree. That is pretty much the method I have been using. I know some parbake their Sicilian dough but I have found coating it in a good olive oil gives a nice soft interior and crisp outside. Simple and underrated pizza I have come to find.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For those who have a smoker, try smoking a beef tenderloin. I've done a few with a mustard rub and the taste is fantastic. I cook it to an internal temp of 125 to 130. Pull it out, wrap it in aluminum foil and let set for 20 to 30 minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom