State of the AAC & Mike Aresco | The Boneyard

State of the AAC & Mike Aresco

Reaction Score
Hate it. I know lots of you guys love to hate on the AAC, but I personally loved rooting for them in football. They were the underdogs/dark horses against the power 5 and the rigged CFP system. Power 5 year after year would ignore the AAC, but then come and steal their coaches every year. And now they’re stealing the teams they consistently laughed at in the CFP polls.

Reaction Score
to anyone who believed aresco when he said the aac was in a position of strength when it came to realignment and would have their pick of the best remaining big12 programs...i know of a few bridges to nowhere you might be interested in buying.

Reaction Score
To think the sports media put the Big East, AAC and Atlantic 10 in the same group in 2014. Lol.

Reactions: VCE
Reaction Score
Imagine we didn’t get into the Big East and got stuck in a gutted AAC…Memphis is in serious trouble right now.
I was thinking about Memphis too…. there’s no way they can stay in that conference but I have no clue where they could move to

Pac12 wouldn’t make sense, Big10 & SEC are packed already, Big12 just took their pick of 4 schools, that really only leaves the ACC or Big East w/ independent football, and neither of those make a ton of sense either. It’s gonna be interesting to see what they do now

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's exactly what would've happened and posters on the football board are pissed Benedict got us back in the Big East.
Do you think the Big 12 would have taken us? Obviously it’s great to have the safety of the big east, but seeing Cincy, Houston and UCF stumble into a $25m payday stings a lot

Reaction Score
I was thinking about Memphis too…. there’s no way they can stay in that conference but I have no clue where they could move to

Pac12 wouldn’t make sense, Big10 & SEC are packed already, Big12 just took their pick of 4 schools, that really only leaves the ACC or Big East w/ independent football, and neither of those make a ton of sense either. It’s gonna be interesting to see what they do now
dont see penny and his HOF assistants sticking around to coach in CUSA 2.0 and what players are circling their calendars for the grudge match against tulsa?!
Do you think the Big 12 would have taken us? Obviously it’s great to have the safety of the big east, but seeing Cincy, Houston and UCF stumble into a $25m payday stings a lot
lol given the state of the footbal program we've never been further from a p4.5 invite. remember the existential terror you felt once we were headed for the aac? well multiply that by 100 if you wanna know what being on the brink of joining the A10 would feel like right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
dont see penny and his HOF assistants sticking around to coach in CUSA 2.0 and what players are circling their calendars for the grudge match against tulsa?!

lol given the state of the footbal program we've never been further from a p4.5 invite. remember the existential terror you felt once we were headed for the aac? well multiply that by 100 if you wanna know what being on the brink of joining the A10 would feel like right now.
God bless Dave Benedict lol

Reaction Score
Imagine your job being to say stuff like this that you don't believe and nobody else believes either.

Aresco should convince the remaining schools to split up the exit fees/tournament credits between himself and the schools and blow up the conference and let everyone fend for themselves. Then he can go retire on a yacht somewhere.

Reaction Score
when the aac was the 6th best conference there was semi-justification for it to be such a far flung assortment of random schools with little history or ties but enough is enough. the 8 remaining aac football schools should join the remaining G4 conferences.

1. temple- indy (A10 for Olympic sports)
2. navy- indy (stays partiot for Olympic Sports)
3. ecsu- sun belt
4. usf- sun belt
5. memphis- CUSA
6. tulane- CUSA
7. tulsa- CUSA
8. smu- CUSA

CUSA can be the new "P6" with 18 teams. no one fits geographically into the MAC or Mtn West.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He's not wrong though that these schools were not P5 worthy, and now they are.

That being said, I don't think there is a P5 anymore.
There isn't. Kansas in the future Big XXII is akin to UConn in the AAC, without the championship success (including non-revenue sports). The Big XXII's money faucet slows to a drip after OU and UT take off.

It would be a hoot if they took the UConn track (Big East/Independent), but they have a better chance than UConn to jump to the B1G, if only for their AAU membership.

Reaction Score
Aresco to our fans when he said deal with it..........the AAC, right after he sold away Uconn's SNY contract to ESPN.

From the Courant :
"His advice for UConn fans holding the current AAC up against the old Big East and lamenting the drop in revenue, rivalries and prestige: It's time to move on. "First of all, I want to be sensitive to those opinions, and I do understand those comparisons," he said. "But I do think at some point, in life and everything, you have to move on and you have to accept what you have "

hmmm, how'd that work out for ya, Mike ?

Reaction Score
Aresco to our fans when he said deal with it..........the AAC, right after he sold away Uconn's SNY contract to ESPN.

From the Courant :
"His advice for UConn fans holding the current AAC up against the old Big East and lamenting the drop in revenue, rivalries and prestige: It's time to move on. "First of all, I want to be sensitive to those opinions, and I do understand those comparisons," he said. "But I do think at some point, in life and everything, you have to move on and you have to accept what you have "

hmmm, how'd that work out for ya, Mike ?
We moved on.

To the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom