State of the AAC & Mike Aresco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

State of the AAC & Mike Aresco

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don’t like to pay much attention to the AAC these days, but I felt like Aresco’s comments on Cincy, Houston, and UCF leaving were too good not to post:

Irony doesn't pay the bills, unfortunately

Reaction Score
Does this sound familiar? Maybe they should join the BE and go independent in football. :)

Despite the blow to Memphis' ego, there is more than a silver lining here. There's a tempting opportunity for the school -- which should be spearheaded by its basketball ethos -- to capitalize on being left behind. Memphis, most obviously, was passed over because it is historically a bad football school. There have been recent pockets of football success, but that university is a basketball place through and through. And if it wants to maintain its relevance going forward -- regardless of its conference affiliation -- it needs to lean into its basketball infatuation and never look back.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Does this sound familiar? Maybe they should join the BE and go independent in football. :)

Despite the blow to Memphis' ego, there is more than a silver lining here. There's a tempting opportunity for the school -- which should be spearheaded by its basketball ethos -- to capitalize on being left behind. Memphis, most obviously, was passed over because it is historically a bad football school. There have been recent pockets of football success, but that university is a basketball place through and through. And if it wants to maintain its relevance going forward -- regardless of its conference affiliation -- it needs to lean into its basketball infatuation and never look back.

I don't want them in the Big East. There's no guarantee they will even be good in the AAC. The Big East is a big step up. Memphis thrives when they are a big fish in a small pond.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If the AAC wants to respond in a way that a) keeps Navy in the fold, b) keeps them relevant in basketball, and c) doesn't dilute the football product too much, they need to do the following:

1) add Rice and UAB for all sports
2) add VCU and Dayton for Olympic sports

It's possible the AAC could raid the MW but I doubt it. I also don't see the American getting Army.
By doing what I mentioned, they keep Navy happy by adding a 2nd Texas, not totally dilute the football product by only going to 10 adding former 2000s C-USA schools, and keep basketball relevant by ripping the top off of the A-10.

In basketball, they would have
Memphis
Temple
Wichita State
VCU
Dayton
SMU
Tulsa
UAB
USF
Tulane
Rice
ECU

That's a solid mid major league.

Reaction Score
If the AAC wants to respond in a way that a) keeps Navy in the fold, b) keeps them relevant in basketball, and c) doesn't dilute the football product too much, they need to do the following:

1) add Rice and UAB for all sports
2) add VCU and Dayton for Olympic sports

It's possible the AAC could raid the MW but I doubt it. I also don't see the American getting Army.
By doing what I mentioned, they keep Navy happy by adding a 2nd Texas, not totally dilute the football product by only going to 10 adding former 2000s C-USA schools, and keep basketball relevant by ripping the top off of the A-10.

In basketball, they would have
Memphis
Temple
Wichita State
VCU
Dayton
SMU
Tulsa
UAB
USF
Tulane
Rice
ECU

That's a solid mid major league.
RIP Power6

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Do you think the Big 12 would have taken us? Obviously it’s great to have the safety of the big east, but seeing Cincy, Houston and UCF stumble into a $25m payday stings a lot
No way they get $25 million. They are going to be at $10 max and maybe less. ESPN got dragged through the mud by them and FOX really has no interest.

Reaction Score
No way they get $25 million. They are going to be at $10 max and maybe less. ESPN got dragged through the mud by them and FOX really has no interest.
I agree. This potential deal won’t stop the bleeding of subscribers

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Do you think the Big 12 would have taken us? Obviously it’s great to have the safety of the big east, but seeing Cincy, Houston and UCF stumble into a $25m payday stings a lot

Not as bad as RU

Imagine $ucking at everything but still getting that invite. Doesn't make any sense

Reaction Score
The PAC is getting $32M per school and they're not much better than the new Big 12. It's not like USC, UCLA, and Oregon are Oklahoma and Texas

Reaction Score
Don't we have an agreement with the AAC that we have to play like 6 games or something against them? What the hell do we do now..? Play Tulane?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

He must be screaming and throwing up right now

But he's not mad, he's definitely not mad...
1631284088575.png

Reaction Score
imho

Bulletpoints:
The one move that makes UConn roll their eyes is ... if the AAC raises up Buffalo. I think that makes Temple + Navy anchored (and that's a pun). Buffalo is ready; should leave the MAC. They could definitely play top level hoop and basketball; raise all their other sports. Does Stony Brook + Albany stay at their CAA level? I know our guy Tuthill thinks nobody should leave FCS for FBS; however, I think seeing fundraising pick up at UALBANY (and probably Stony Brook) with new Football stadium & facilities tell me that ... minds are gathering. They have their eyes on fellow SUNY Buffalo and the common Chancellor's thumbs up.

Army? Gets asked again and again. Their pain was so acute as a member of the MAC two decades ago that they probably don't like to even consider. They have enjoyed their time as ... as an INDEPENDENT. Lesson learned.

UAB is getting a lot of noise as a new member of the AAC. 5 years ago they were kerflunct. Deep sixed. Bill Clark is the resurrection kind. Lesson learned. They are a serious candidate.

Florida Atlantic as a pairing for USF and UCF leaves. I think UCF - go and read some of the noise (particularly columnist Mike Bianchi) ... and you see that the UCF USF cross state rivalry is special. You cannot replicate that with BYU or TCU ... even if you are three initial institutions. Florida Atlantic is better than FIU; but NO ... USF is seriously diminished. As is UCF.

Old Dominion, Charlotte, Georgia State are all these reaches at the moment. Seriously. Charlotte and Will Healy are risen ... because they beat Duke in Football. I think each of the 3 are going to prove out over 5 years. Not an easy pick today. And Liberty? Merely for paying Hugh Freeze $3m a year should be raised. They are amazingly out there. Trying. Aspirational. Amazing Jerry Fallwell U.

Rice ... perfect fit in the Tulane, SMU, Tulsa vein.

Memphis? Well if you want to keep them happy and really have a competitive hoop, you need to grab Dayton and VCU. I agree. They need to be boosted. Wichita State & Dayton & VCU have major league hoop stadiums, ambitions, history. They belong playing Memphis. And Maybe ... SMU can be solid. ECU will never be good.

I hear kudos for Louisiana Tech joining. have you met Mike Aresco? He is a big city and markets guy. He didn't like Storrs (* but could rationalize saying Hartford market) ... but he ain't got no rationalization for Ruston, LA.

The NET
I am hoping for a monster Independent move so my school has plenty of scheduling options. Almost like a conference. When the AAC signed for a gazillion years for less than $7m ... pretty much our WBB may nudge towards that in a decade. Stop thinking about Conferences. Football has imploded. And while Vanderbilt and Northwestern are still getting a big paycheck ... methinks USC + Alabama + Ohio State + Florida + Texas are saying: "Hey, that's my food they are eating." Like dogs with separate bowls. They don't like these poor sisters eating anything that is rightfully theres.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Plugged in professional journalist buddy thinks the AAC will backfill with... UConn! Football only, obviously.

I don't have my finger on the pulse here at all but LOL.

Reaction Score
Plugged in professional journalist buddy thinks the AAC will backfill with... UConn! Football only, obviously.

WOW if that happens. I honestly like the idea of being a football only member, as long as basketball is in the BE than i’m fine

shizzle787

Reaction Score

If we play 4 P5 home and homes every year OOC, I might be able to live with that.

Reaction Score
WOW if that happens. I honestly like the idea of being a football only member, as long as basketball is in the BE than i’m fine
Idk. Kinda want to make a splash hire and give it a go as an Independent. The American lacks prestige, especially now. Rejoining that conference isn't really something I want to be associated with at the moment. More negative press in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom