Starting Quarterback | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Reaction Score
So when Zion walked away, how many G-5 schools said “yes, that guy is a winner and we should bring him in?”

I am not knocking what the young man did. He came in and was part of a team that figured out how to beat some good teams at home. But don’t you think there is a reason for the answer to my question?
Lets see how he does at Jax State.. I believe they just went FBS... I think we would've had a little more success in live games if he started.. that kid's a winner... no matter the intangibles.. fact is he did better than what we had a few years back... He's a guy I put in the mold of guys that folks say he can't do because of intangibles, yet he does... (think Doug Flutie on a lower end right now)...

Reaction Score
Put me in the camp of tuning out if Fagnano takes a meaningful snap .
Yes, Fagnano had no business starting over Turner last year.
You do realize that Turner was ranked the 145th QB in 2022 by PFF, one of the lowest in FBS? Or, that he averaged 108 yards passing per game? That said, he knew had to win games and seemed to run at the right times.

Reaction Score
1. If you really don’t want to be negative, you suck at it.

2. If you really are “out” if Fagnano takes one meaningful snap, thank you for your interest in UConn football.

3. If one wants to be realistic, from what we saw when healthy of Fagnano and Roberson there was not such a great separation either way that if one clearly outplayed the other this spring they shouldn’t be #1 heading into fall.

4. Finally, your lack of logic is astonishing. We have Fagnano because he played I-A, but we elevate TR because he was good enough out of High School to start at Penn State even though since high school nothing? Coaches are only grading on who will help us win next year (luckily), and the Staff’s decision here was not as if Fagnano beat out someone who had really performed.
You're one of the most negative/critical people on here! Pot, meet kettle. It's hard to be positive when the program is a mess year after year, and when you have a revolving door at the most important position, that rarely bodes well.

Anyone who thinks Fagnano is the answer, especially over TR, is actually insane. Like I can't stress that enough. He does not belong at this level. Just like now both OCs who were pretty medicore at lower levels. Its one thing if the talent you're elevating (both players and coaches) from the FCS level were killing it there. None of them did so.

I nevrer said TR is the answer. I agree that Evers has a higher ceiling. What I don't like is he is VERY unproven, more so than TR. I wish the camp battle was Evers vs TR. If Evers isn't better than what TR is, we are absolutely screwed. It's Evers or bust. If he isn't good, we are going to be bad, again.

Reaction Score
Put me in the camp of tuning out if Fagnano takes a meaningful snap .
Yes, Fagnano had no business starting over Turner last year.
If Turner should have started over Fagnano should he have also started over TR? So with all the screw ups hiring the Fruit reject, red pants (where he put in young kid at QB with temporary OC) and HCRE2.0 and the poor offensive schemes of the last several years it only takes "Fagnano taking a meaningful snap" to get you to tune out? You have put up with a lot to give up over this. Fagnano gets a meaningful snap he will either prove he doesn't belong or fool most people in being good (or at least good enough to keep getting snaps).
I'm of the camp that unlike HCRE2.0, Mora is trying to put together a competitive team using all the available sources of talent (including portal) and if for some reason Fagnano gets to play he either is the best (and maybe he's the tallest midget) or Mora just made a mistake and if not corrected will cost him the HC gig and that's as it should be (perform or it's on to next HC).

Reaction Score
You're one of the most negative/critical people on here! Pot, meet kettle. It's hard to be positive when the program is a mess year after year, and when you have a revolving door at the most important position, that rarely bodes well.

Anyone who thinks Fagnano is the answer, especially over TR, is actually insane. Like I can't stress that enough. He does not belong at this level. Just like now both OCs who were pretty medicore at lower levels. Its one thing if the talent you're elevating (both players and coaches) from the FCS level were killing it there. None of them did so.

I nevrer said TR is the answer. I agree that Evers has a higher ceiling. What I don't like is he is VERY unproven, more so than TR. I wish the camp battle was Evers vs TR. If Evers isn't better than what TR is, we are absolutely screwed. It's Evers or bust. If he isn't good, we are going to be bad, again.

This team was 3-9 last year. 3-9. If Evers ends up being bad, so what? This team was already bad. That's the reality. They would be bad with TR and they would be bad with Fagnano. So what if this year they would go 3-9 with TR or 2-10 with Fagnano if he's that much worse. Who cares? Might as well give it a try with a guy that has a seriously legit pedigree. He was the 8th ranked QB in his class coming out of high school. I say put it in his hands and see what happens. Worst case scenario they suck again. Big whoop.

Reaction Score
Lets see how he does at Jax State.. I believe they just went FBS... I think we would've had a little more success in live games if he started.. that kid's a winner... no matter the intangibles.. fact is he did better than what we had a few years back... He's a guy I put in the mold of guys that folks say he can't do because of intangibles, yet he does... (think Doug Flutie on a lower end right now)...
The only thing that Zion Turner has in common with Doug Flutie is being undersized.

That's a little unfair. I liked Zion's attitude and desire to win. He seems to be a fine young man. But he didn't show one per cent of Doub Flutie's talent.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If Turner should have started over Fagnano should he have also started over TR? So with all the screw ups hiring the Fruit reject, red pants (where he put in young kid at QB with temporary OC) and HCRE2.0 and the poor offensive schemes of the last several years it only takes "Fagnano taking a meaningful snap" to get you to tune out? You have put up with a lot to give up over this. Fagnano gets a meaningful snap he will either prove he doesn't belong or fool most people in being good (or at least good enough to keep getting snaps).
I'm of the camp that unlike HCRE2.0, Mora is trying to put together a competitive team using all the available sources of talent (including portal) and if for some reason Fagnano gets to play he either is the best (and maybe he's the tallest midget) or Mora just made a mistake and if not corrected will cost him the HC gig and that's as it should be (perform or it's on to next HC).

Yes.

Reaction Score
I also think that there is a >0 chance that the starter against Maryland is not the starter by Wake Forest. We have had a fair number of injuries at quarterback but it wouldn’t be unheard of for a coach to start an experienced guy early but ultimately transition to a freshman. Might happen sooner if the starter doesn’t produce.

Reaction Score
This team was 3-9 last year. 3-9. If Evers ends up being bad, so what? This team was already bad. That's the reality. They would be bad with TR and they would be bad with Fagnano. So what if this year they would go 3-9 with TR or 2-10 with Fagnano if he's that much worse. Who cares? Might as well give it a try with a guy that has a seriously legit pedigree. He was the 8th ranked QB in his class coming out of high school. I say put it in his hands and see what happens. Worst case scenario they suck again. Big whoop.
If you stink, stinking more is basically the same.

Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of a thread on the men's basketball board around this same time 2 years ago. "DC will have lots of trouble playing cause he only played in a weak state division. He should have gone away to a better basketball school." We all know how that turned out. Let's give the kids we have in the QB room a chance to prove themselves one way or the other.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking if people expect a huge leap forward from Fagnano or Roberson they are likely to be disappointed. It would be great to be wrong. That's why I would hope the competition ends up between the other three guys with McDonald and Evers getting the majority of practice snaps down the stretch as Welliver learns the system. It feels like Mora and Co. are somewhat "invested" in Fagnano and Roberson but they did make a tough call in pulling a starter between seasons last year. Hoping the positive feedback heard a couple of weeks ago on McDonald wasn't a flash in the pan. That kid had some great film out of HS. He just looked comfortable and accurate with quick feet and a nice release on his throws. But that's HS.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Turner was ranked the 145th QB in 2022 by PFF, one of the lowest in FBS? Or, that he averaged 108 yards passing per game? That said, he knew had to win games and seemed to run at the right times.
doesn't matter where he was ranked... he actually helped lead us to a bowl game playing the most important position on offense for us... and we're just coming out of playing really really really really bad football... just sayin...

Reaction Score
doesn't matter where he was ranked... he actually helped lead us to a bowl game playing the most important position on offense for us... and we're just coming out of playing really really really really bad football... just sayin...
PFF grades every play for each player. By grading as one of the worst FBS QBs, he was not making the plays available to him even though UConn was 6-7 in 2022. For 2 years in a row, Turner started the season as the #3 QB.

Look at a QB like Kyle McCord from Ohio St. Ohio St. was 11-1 in the regular season with their only loss to Michigan. PFF graded McCord as the #60 QB in FBS so Ryan Day decided that was not good enough for Ohio State and now McCord is at Syracuse. McCord's stats were 65.8% completion, 3,170 yards, 24 TDs, and 6 picks. On the surface, those stats look great, but he was playing with a very talented group of offensive players including Marvin Harrison Jr. and the PFF grades say he could have played better.

Reaction Score
PFF grades every play for each player. By grading as one of the worst FBS QBs, he was not making the plays available to him even though UConn was 6-7 in 2022. For 2 years in a row, Turner started the season as the #3 QB.

Look at a QB like Kyle McCord from Ohio St. Ohio St. was 11-1 in the regular season with their only loss to Michigan. PFF graded McCord as the #60 QB in FBS so Ryan Day decided that was not good enough for Ohio State and now McCord is at Syracuse. McCord's stats were 65.8% completion, 3,170 yards, 24 TDs, and 6 picks. On the surface, those stats look great, but he was playing with a very talented group of offensive players including Marvin Harrison Jr. and the PFF grades say he could have played better.
First off, why are we comparing a diamond to dirt (no, really)... why? We're still trying to find our way (unfortunately)... Who we play and the leverl we play at are light years away from what Ohio State does...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
First off, why are we comparing a diamond to dirt (no, really)... why? We're still trying to find our way (unfortunately)... Who we play and the leverl we play at are light years away from what Ohio State does...
the truth is…that UConn won despite Turner’s play. I do think he was a good leader…and a good character guy. But he wasn’t a good qb.

Reaction Score

TR was . Any mediocre QB could’ve scored a TD in 4 of the last 5 games with our schedule

Reaction Score
I guess you don't understand how PFF grades players. For example, if the QB made a great play and the WR dropped the ball, the QB would receive a positive grade and the WR would receive a negative grade. What Turner's grades were telling us is that he wasn't making plays that an average QB should make.

Reaction Score

Turner played with advantages all over the field in high school. Didn't have that here. 2022 reminded of 2015 in that it had a beneficial TO ratio, not as strong as in 2015 but at least a push and the D kept the scoring average within a single score. He was the only healthy option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom