Starting QB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Whitmer has more upside? Whitmer never got rid of the ball quickly enough. Casey did.
1) Review
2) Comprehend
3) Repost
3a) If yours was not in response to my post, disregard ;)

Reaction Score
In a sane world TB never would have seen the field last year and the first change would have been to the guy with a year in the system (CC) in order to gauge the benefits of switching to a someone who was ready to manage the game. Instead we had a desperate move to the flashier athlete with great potential, but coming from a structured system that managed him closely behind very talented players and a solid line. Thrown to the wolves is the only way to describe it and while Tim fought hard to carry the team against tough competition he couldn't overcome the deficiencies of the situation and was eventually consumed by the expectations and the disarray up front. And yeah he made mistakes too.

That's why we needed to start the guy least likely to make mistakes and most able to adjust during the game. He had the benefit of a softer schedule and performed as expected "plus" imo and for that Casey deserves to be given the longest look this year.

Before this happened we should have ended up in this place anyway, with Casey going in as the #1 and Tim nipping at his heels waiting for his opportunity. Only then it wouldn't have occurred after getting his confidence clipped after being tossed into a high risk experiment trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I just hope he can recover from the poor judgement we witnessed because it was not in his best interest at the time.

And here's where I was accused of "babying" football players for suggesting Tim wasn't reay but Casey might be an option.
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/buffalo-game-thread.44535/page-11#post-704316

Well said

Reaction Score
There was a ball thrown to Bradley against RU, I think, for a TD. Nobody has thrown a ball that well since DO. Not even Frazer. I agree with some other posters. He had more time because he got rid f the ball quicker. Plain and simple.

Reaction Score
It should definitely be CC's job to lose. The most compelling fact is that he sat idle for over 11 weeks of practice as the 3rd QB getting minimal reps if any. After he shook off the rust look at the numbers he put up

Reaction Score
In a sane world TB never would have seen the field last year and the first change would have been to the guy with a year in the system (CC) in order to gauge the benefits of switching to a someone who was ready to manage the game. Instead we had a desperate move to the flashier athlete with great potential, but coming from a structured system that managed him closely behind very talented players and a solid line. Thrown to the wolves is the only way to describe it and while Tim fought hard to carry the team against tough competition he couldn't overcome the deficiencies of the situation and was eventually consumed by the expectations and the disarray up front. And yeah he made mistakes too.

That's why we needed to start the guy least likely to make mistakes and most able to adjust during the game. He had the benefit of a softer schedule and performed as expected "plus" imo and for that Casey deserves to be given the longest look this year.

Before this happened we should have ended up in this place anyway, with Casey going in as the #1 and Tim nipping at his heels waiting for his opportunity. Only then it wouldn't have occurred after getting his confidence clipped after being tossed into a high risk experiment trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I just hope he can recover from the poor judgement we witnessed because it was not in his best interest at the time.

And here's where I was accused of "babying" football players for suggesting Tim wasn't ready but Casey might be an option.
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/buffalo-game-thread.44535/page-11#post-704316

No spitting match here and I will NEVER bash our players, simply analize from my point of view. You make several good points here but TB being a flashier player could not be farther from fact. Flash he does not have, he was the darling of Paul and George because of his prototype size. This was a biggie for Paul and George at every position. He should have been red shirted at any cost, he has a world of potential but not as a starter on this stage at this point in his development. Never saw in high school or here what would be considered flash.

So many point out height as a disadvantage with CC and if you watch film look at how many sacks he avoided by ducking under a high tackle attempt and then getting the pass off. Witmer threw the ball to the other team, Casey had what you might have called flash. Boyle got the curse of Paul and George and never stood a chance. Hopefully he does not let it set his development back and can compete for the starting role asap and if not get the red shirt year back this year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Casey will (and should) get the majority of reps with the 1st teamers to start the spring.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think that Whitmer is better than most are giving him credit for. I also think that there isn't much difference between Whitmer and Cochran in terms of overall product; each doing certain things better than the other. So in my mind, it all comes down to the OLine and the running game.

If the OLine and running game are clicking and effective, don't be surprised if you see Whitmer emerge with the new offense. However, if the OLine and running game both struggle, the advantage likely goes to Cochran, who seems to have a quicker read and quicker release. I think it will provide for some "high drama" during the Spring Game and summer months...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Some "coach speak" here @ the 4:50 minute mark, but Coach does address the issue a bit and gives his thoughts on last year and coming year.

The part that's really interesting is when he talks about Vitamin D counts being ridiculously low (around the 7 minute mark). I'm not sure what to make of that statement, other than to say that if the team's nutrition as a whole was jacked up, then....wow....wtf?!?....

Reaction Score
The part that's really interesting is when he talks about Vitamin D counts being ridiculously low (around the 7 minute mark). I'm not sure what to make of that statement, other than to say that if the team's nutrition as a whole was jacked up, then....wow....wtf?!?....
It sounds like that is something he picked up from a nutritionist at one of the other universities. Skeptical if it has performance advantages but couldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
It sounds like that is something he picked up from a nutritionist at one of the other universities. Skeptical if it has performance advantages but couldn't hurt.

That's the kind of thinking that got PGDL fired.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
BD said the exact same thing about the QB situation that we have been saying on this board. Whitmer was in a bad situation....Boyle played the toughest opponents...and Casey delivered against the easiest part of the schedule.

To me..he is saying that there wasn't a level playing field last year and it is anyone's job. Which I think makes total sense. I still think that Whitmer makes bad decisions and Boyle needs to red shirt, but a year later that all could have changed. I also think that Taylor is the forgotten man and he will be in the mix also. Bottom line...I dont' see CC as a lock for QB.

Reaction Score
That's the kind of thinking that got PGDL fired.
There isn't anything wrong with the way he is thinking. vitamin d is just one detail of many for him. Not like he is basing his whole training regimen around it

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Some "coach speak" here @ the 4:50 minute mark, but Coach does address the issue a bit and gives his thoughts on last year and coming year.

HuskyMedic, thanks for posting. Hopefully this isn't heresy here, but I thought it was a good interview with some interesting questions.

Reaction Score
There isn't anything wrong with the way he is thinking. vitamin d is just one detail of many for him. Not like he is basing his whole training regimen around it

Ahem, it wasn't his thinking I was criticizing, it was yours. Of course you're skeptical of it, PGDL probably still had everybody on salt pills.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Diaco quote -

'Whose the guy at this point? I really have no idea'
Diaco states that Timmy played against the Jets, Giants and Bears and Casey played the back half of the schedule -paraphrase.
To base on 2013 is really not fair.

Reaction Score
Ahem, it wasn't his thinking I was criticizing, it was yours. Of course you're skeptical of it, PGDL probably still had everybody on salt pills.
Glad we all forgot about the past and are on board with the new coach.

Reaction Score
BD said the exact same thing about the QB situation that we have been saying on this board. Whitmer was in a bad situation....Boyle played the toughest opponents...and Casey delivered against the easiest part of the schedule.

To me..he is saying that there wasn't a level playing field last year and it is anyone's job. Which I think makes total sense. I still think that Whitmer makes bad decisions and Boyle needs to red shirt, but a year later that all could have changed. I also think that Taylor is the forgotten man and he will be in the mix also. Bottom line...I dont' see CC as a lock for QB.

Call me Pollyanna (the male version) but, every night, I beg the Supreme Beings for Taylor to be a less expensive, more mature, humble Manziel/Newton clone. I cover atheist bases by begging the ghost of Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Also, I burn candles, and joss sticks (incense).

Aren't we due for some luck?
Hell, Flutie was buried on the depth chart, returning punts, when he got a (what have we got to lose) chance. Why not us?

Reaction Score
We just had a guy buried on the depth chart who surprisingly gave us some major league QB play and he's got three more years of eligibility. That isn't good enough for you? He's not Cam Newton or Flutie, but he might be Chad Pennington. The Supreme Being answered your prayers and you missed it. Pray for forgiveness Pollyanna.

Call me Pollyanna (the male version) but, every night, I beg the Supreme Beings for Taylor to be a less expensive, more mature, humble Manziel/Newton clone. I cover atheist bases by begging the ghost of Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Also, I burn candles, and joss sticks (incense).

Hell, Flutie was buried on the depth chart, returning punts, when he got a (what have we got to lose) chance. Why not us?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

a little Kivon at ya!
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2013/2/...hlights-uconn-recruiting-national-signing-day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom