Starting QB | The Boneyard

Starting QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Really curious to see if Casey holds on to that starting spot through spring practice. He obviously read the field much better than the other 3 but now with a new coaching staff I would assume just about every position battle is wide open.

With that being said there must have been reason for both HC's last year to start CW and TB ahead of him. There was some chatter about CC not being a great practice player - insert Allen Iverson quotes - just curious to see how this moves forward this spring. I would think if CC doesn't retain starting spot that will upset many a poster/fan but we have to trust our new leadership.

Thoughts and insights?

Reaction Score
Really curious to see if Casey holds on to that starting spot through spring practice. He obviously read the field much better than the other 3 but now with a new coaching staff I would assume just about every position battle is wide open.

With that being said there must have been reason for both HC's last year to start CW and TB ahead of him. There was some chatter about CC not being a great practice player - insert Allen Iverson quotes - just curious to see how this moves forward this spring. I would think if CC doesn't retain starting spot that will upset many a poster/fan but we have to trust our new leadership.

Thoughts and insights?

I don't think it is that wide open. They might say it is, but he was so much better than the other two I think it would be hard to not give him a decisive edge.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
In the real world, jobs are earned, not given. If we want to give someone a job, lets just refer to our operation as a governmental enterprise and move on. One will quickly run out of fingers and toes thinking of QBs given a job after a few games only to later fall on their face. I hope CC gets a run for his money, making the decision a hard one - as that means everyone is elevating their game. May the best man win.

Reaction Score
There is film on all three. Casey separates himself with his ability to read the defense and get rid of the ball quickly. However, the new staff will look at the flm and watch the practices with new eyes. They know what they want from a QB in their system and we don't. So for me, all bets are off.

Reaction Score
In the real world, jobs are earned, not given. If we want to give someone a job, lets just refer to our operation as a governmental enterprise and move on. One will quickly run out of fingers and toes thinking of QBs given a job after a few games only to later fall on their face. I hope CC gets a run for his money, making the decision a hard one - as that means everyone is elevating their game. May the best man win.

I think he already earned it. He will have to earn it again by sustaining and building on his body of work. If he gets a run for his money then it will probably mean that he has regressed or that he can't adapt to the new system. But I prefer to not see it like that because it has a negative outlook.

Reaction Score
Casey separates himself with his ability to read the defense and get rid of the ball quickly.

Casey also separates himself with:

leadership ability (based on press reports he inspired the troops to rally)
pinpoint throwing accuracy (every pass to Davis is high by design)
doesn't stare down a receiver, moves the defense with his eyes away from his primary target
intelligent movement in the pocket to avoid the rusher (almost a psychic like ability)
fearless under pressure
goes through a progression with mind freak speed
improved every game, quick learner, never makes the same mistake twice
only QB to make the all academic team (clearly Diaco appreciates smart players who excel with their mind)

Casey can't redshirt, Boyle can. Longterm it would be better for the program for Boyle to redshirt, IMO it would also be better for Boyle's NFL career aspirations to redshirt and have an extra year on the back end when he knows the system and has an improved line protecting him. There is a decent chance that next year's line will struggle with pass protection.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
CC and TJW seemed to have a connection once he made the switch to CC - high fiving and chest bumping on sidelines - but that was TJ's system. I think it needs to be re- earned this spring and I am not 100% sure that happens.

Might get very interesting.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is that wide open. They might say it is, but he was so much better than the other two I think it would be hard to not give him a decisive edge.
agreed. he was clearly better than the others when the lights were on..which is what matters most

Reaction Score
No position should be a closed competition. We are coming off an abysmal year and have a new coaching staff. Every player on this team needs to prove themselves.

Reaction Score
Football coaches always say that. Its rarely true. It is unlikely to be true in this case either. In my mind it is pretty unlikely that Boyle is going to challenge him, and I think he's better than Whitmer, so there you go.

Reaction Score
I think we hope that this offseason Boyle learns and develops all the intangibles that Cochran has right now that he doesn't and takes over the starting spot as he is clearly the better athlete with higher ceiling.

Reaction Score
If CC is smart, and we know he is, he will become a good practice player (if the case was he wasn't, is true). I also believe if he continues to get better, with another year under his belt, he will be tough to beat.

Probably the most important thing our starting QB is going to need this year is the ability to read the defense and release very quickly. CC has shown that he can do this. You also have to consider CC's accuracy. I don't care what the competition is/was if you're accurate, you're accurate.

I go back to HCBD's comment about having players do things they are capable of doing. With a "newish" OL one would think they need a quick thinking QB and will design an offense to play to CC's strengths, if he is indeed the starting QB.

It's CC's job to lose, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Football coaches always say that. Its rarely true. It is unlikely to be true in this case either. In my mind it is pretty unlikely that Boyle is going to challenge him, and I think he's better than Whitmer, so there you go.

Just to play the devil's advocate for a second. Can we really say Casey is better than Whitmer? Whitmer had the unfortunate circumstances of no run game and an O-line that had more holes in it than Swiss cheese. It's tough to make a play when you have to run for you life on every play. Casey had the the luxury of an improved O-line and the three worst defensives in the conference at the end of the season. Yes Whitmer would stare down receivers, but I think that's correctable with some coaching and maybe a little more time to throw. Personally, and this may be just me, I'd want to see what both could do with a competant run game and a servicable O-line before the starter is named.

That being said, even with Whitmer having a stronger arm, I like Casey's chances of getting the starting job. Just seems to understand it when it comes to game time. Ideally I'd like to see it CC, CW as back up and TB redshirted. But I'll trust BD and the coaching staff with whomever they choose.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Cochran better get used to other QB's making a run at him in camp. He is not a great athlete by the standards of a program like UConn, and he doesn't have a strong arm. On the other hand, it is hard to argue with the results.

I agree that redshirting Boyle is the smart move for Boyle and UConn, but who knows what Boyle's expectations are.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CC starts ahead, if in print only. He isn't so far ahead that he's a lock or even comfortable. CW had a bad coach, TB faced the most difficult schedule, Casey the easiest, but performed very well.

Now, here comes the broken record from the past 10 preseasons: I'd like to see someone separate themselves from the others, because it is highly unlikely that we have 3+ starting BCS QB's on the roster. If no one separates themselves, then we have issues.

Reaction Score
I would say Casey but the whole offense is changing and we r no longer going to be spread no huddle. Can be anyone's job

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I just want to caution that to a degree the eye test isn't fair. CC did have the benefit of better coaches and somewhat lesser competition compared to Boyle. The O line was much better for CC after GDL's departure. If Diaco and Co. decide it's CC then I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
Casey grew up eating dinner with the best football coach in the state. He probably learned more football in his living room than most others have learned on the field.

Reaction Score

Thoughts and insights?
As Sargent Friday used to say: Just the facts
upload_2014-3-5_16-12-29.jpeg

and these facts below tell me that CC is the starter. Can I have an AMEN!

2013: Played in eight games, starting the final four of the season at quarterback...went 3-1 as a starter...finished the year 111-for-175 for 1,293 yards with 11 touchdowns against four interceptions, adding a rushing touchdown as well...set the UConn single-game record for passing yards with 461 against Memphis (Dec. 7)...was 36-of-54 with four touchdowns in that game, finishing with the second-most completions and third-most attempts in a game in UConn history...it was also the 17thtime in program history a quarterback has thrown for four touchdowns...also eclipsed 300 yards against Rutgers (Nov. 30), going 25-of-33 for 311 yards and two scores...was 7-of-11 for 96 yards and a touchdown in backup duty at No. 21 UCF (Oct. 26)...went 6-for-9 for 66 yards and a touchdown in the fourth quarter vs. No. 18 Louisville (Nov. 16)...went 25-of-42 for 227 yards and two touchdowns in his first start at SMU...finished 8-of-18 for 111 yards and a touchdown, also rushing for a score in a comeback win at Temple (Nov. 23)...named to the 2013 American Athletic Conference All-Academic team.

2012: Redshirted...Was named to the 2012 BIG EAST All-Academic team...Enrolled at UConn for the spring 2012 semester and participated in spring practice ... Passed for 46 yards on four completions in '12 Blue-White Spring Game.

High School: Gatorade Player of the Year in Connecticut for two seasons ... Named to the Connecticut High School Coaches' Association All-Star Football Team and the Walter Camp Football Foundation All-Connecticut Team ... Holds the Connecticut high school career records for passing yards and completions ... Played his final two years of high school at Masuk and led the team to the Connecticut Class L title in 2010 ... Started his scholastic career at New London HS and led the team to the state class SS title in 2008.

Personal Profile: Casey Donald Cochran ... Born February 25, 1994 ... A pre-communications science major.

CAREER HIGHS

Passing Yards: 461, vs. Memphis, 12/7/13

Completions: 36, vs. Memphis, 12/7/13

Attempts: 54, vs. Memphis, 12/7/13

Touchdowns: 4, vs. Memphis, 12/7/13

PASSING G ATT COMP PCT YDS LONG PASS EFFIC. TD INT YDS/G

2013 8 175 111 0.634 1293 46 141.7 11 4 161.6
TOTAL 8 175 111 0.634 1293 46 141.7 11 4 161.6

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is film on all three. Casey separates himself with his ability to read the defense and get rid of the ball quickly. However, the new staff will look at the flm and watch the practices with new eyes. They know what they want from a QB in their system and we don't. So for me, all bets are off.

All bets are off until the first loss, then you will demand the back-up starts the next game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think he already earned it. He will have to earn it again by sustaining and building on his body of work. If he gets a run for his money then it will probably mean that he has regressed or that he can't adapt to the new system. But I prefer to not see it like that because it has a negative outlook.
I wouldn't worry too much about Cochran learning another offense. He had to learn a new one at the beginning of last year and then adjust to second play caller down the stretch. I think, based on nothing in particular, he'll be adept to adjusting to Mike Cummings' offense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just to play the devil's advocate for a second. Can we really say Casey is better than Whitmer? Whitmer had the unfortunate circumstances of no run game and an O-line that had more holes in it than Swiss cheese. It's tough to make a play when you have to run for you life on every play. Casey had the the luxury of an improved O-line and the three worst defensives in the conference at the end of the season. Yes Whitmer would stare down receivers, but I think that's correctable with some coaching and maybe a little more time to throw.

I think it's fair to say that Cochran has more upside than Whitmer. It's unfortunate, but I think the previous regime broke him and the harm is irreparable. We've seen Whitmer's ceiling as a player.

Reaction Score
Whitmer has more upside? Whitmer never got rid of the ball quickly enough. Casey did.

Reaction Score
In a sane world TB never would have seen the field last year and the first change would have been to the guy with a year in the system (CC) in order to gauge the benefits of switching to a someone who was ready to manage the game. Instead we had a desperate move to the flashier athlete with great potential, but coming from a structured system that managed him closely behind very talented players and a solid line. Thrown to the wolves is the only way to describe it and while Tim fought hard to carry the team against tough competition he couldn't overcome the deficiencies of the situation and was eventually consumed by the expectations and the disarray up front. And yeah he made mistakes too.

That's why we needed to start the guy least likely to make mistakes and most able to adjust during the game. He had the benefit of a softer schedule and performed as expected "plus" imo and for that Casey deserves to be given the longest look this year.

Before this happened we should have ended up in this place anyway, with Casey going in as the #1 and Tim nipping at his heels waiting for his opportunity. Only then it wouldn't have occurred after getting his confidence clipped after being tossed into a high risk experiment trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I just hope he can recover from the poor judgement we witnessed because it was not in his best interest at the time.

And here's where I was accused of "babying" football players for suggesting Tim wasn't ready but Casey might be an option.
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/buffalo-game-thread.44535/page-11#post-704316

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In a sane world TB never would have seen the field last year and the first change would have been to the guy with a year in the system (CC) in order to gauge the benefits of switching to a someone who was ready to manage the game.

I have to imagine that there have been many mornings where Weist wakes up and punches the pillow wishing he went straight to Cochran. If we won the USF game and the SMU game and ended with 5 wins Warde's decision would have been much more difficult. BTW I know Casey played against SMU, but if he had started earlier he may have gained enough experience to beat SMU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom