Starting Pitching - Red Sox | The Boneyard

Starting Pitching - Red Sox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Buchholz may be finally on the mend which has huge repercussions for the Sox. He is the only pitcher that qualifies as a #1. After him, the Sox have three 2/3's in Lackey, Peavy and Dubront. At this point, I would say that Lester and Dempster are in the 4/5 category. Based on performance, if the Red Sox get into the post-season, Lester might not get a post-season start. And I know that this will never happen, but he could be left off the roster because Dempster has bull pen experience. I know he will be a sentimental favorite to start a game if the Red Sox make the post-season but does his performance so far warrant it?

Reaction Score
I'm a lot more concerned about Dempster even though he wouldn't be in a post season rotation. Right now I like Workman as the 5th starter. If Dempster has bullpen experience long relief could be an option for him. Dempster's poor performance has been overshadowed by good team performance.

Reaction Score
I'm a lot more concerned about Dempster even though he wouldn't be in a post season rotation. Right now I like Workman as the 5th starter. If Dempster has bullpen experience long relief could be an option for him. Dempster's poor performance has been overshadowed by good team performance.
Dempster was the Cub's closer for three years averaging just under 30 saves per year so he has experience out of the pen. Also, he had gobbled up a lot of innings this year for the Sox. In three of his losses, he went seven innings and gave up just 2 runs so his record could be better. But I agree with you on Workman. He had three good starts in a row and was looking very good. However, they picked up Peavy and, for some reason sent Workman to the Pawsox. However, they just put Nava on paternity leave (I still can't get used to that) and put Workman back on the Sox roster but are planning to use him as a reliever. For some strange reason, they are planning to start Steve Wright, the knucleballer on Tuesday. What do I know???

Reaction Score
Buchholz may be finally on the mend which has huge repercussions for the Sox. He is the only pitcher that qualifies as a #1.

Just curious. What qualifies him as a #1 other than a couple hot months?

Reaction Score
Dempster was the Cub's closer for three years averaging just under 30 saves per year so he has experience out of the pen. Also, he had gobbled up a lot of innings this year for the Sox. In three of his losses, he went seven innings and gave up just 2 runs so his record could be better. But I agree with you on Workman. He had three good starts in a row and was looking very good. However, they picked up Peavy and, for some reason sent Workman to the Pawsox. However, they just put Nava on paternity leave (I still can't get used to that) and put Workman back on the Sox roster but are planning to use him as a reliever. For some strange reason, they are planning to start Steve Wright, the knucleballer on Tuesday. What do I know???
I don't get Wright either when Workman has shown he can start and win. Maybe Farrell is trying to sort things out. The Sox rotation may not have a true #1 starter but the starting rotation is fine. I'd like the Sox to be more careful on how much they use Uehara. He wasn't needed in Sunday's game and they could used another pitcher with the lead.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

A couple of hot months was all it took to start the Lastings Milledge 3,000 hit watch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...But I agree with you on Workman. He had three good starts in a row and was looking very good. However, they picked up Peavy and, for some reason sent Workman to the Pawsox. .... For some strange reason, they are planning to start Steve Wright, the knucleballer on Tuesday. What do I know???

I heard that Wright is pitching to give all the starters an extra days rest. Workman is going into the pen because he is reaching his lifetime high for IP. Makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
Well, a lot of people thought the Yasiel Puig should be an all-star after two months in the majors. Although he has been injured a lot, Clay has parts of seven years in the majors, he has a no-hitter to his credit and was so dominant in the first part of this year that he probably would have started the all-star game. He was 17-7 in 2010 with a 2.33 ERA. Besides Fishy and Mau told me he was and they are men of integrity.;)

Reaction Score
Well, a lot of people thought the Yasiel Puig should be an all-star after two months in the majors. Although he has been injured a lot, Clay has parts of seven years in the majors, he has a no-hitter to his credit and was so dominant in the first part of this year that he probably would have started the all-star game. He was 17-7 in 2010 with a 2.33 ERA. Besides Fishy and Mau told me he was and they are men of integrity.;)

Hey don't implicate me on any positive thoughts on the Red Sox.......if I did say it I plead "hammered and unable to comprehend"

Reaction Score
Hey don't implicate me on any positive thoughts on the Red Sox.......if I did say it I plead "hammered and unable to comprehend"
Well, I'll admit that you didn't say it but I'm pretty sure you thought it. By the way your comment on "hammered and unable to comprehend" could impact your status of a man of integrity.

Reaction Score
I do not see anyway Lester is not in the rotation in the playoffs. The game against the DBack was brutual, but he gave up 11 runs over his previous 5 starts with a 31/8 K/BB ratio. He has been pitching a lot better and with everyone healthy I do not see how hes not pitching Game 2 or 3 if the Sox make the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Well, I'll admit that you didn't say it but I'm pretty sure you thought it. By the way your comment on "hammered and unable to comprehend" could impact your status of a man of integrity.

It impacts my integrity in a positive manner now doesn't it 60's?;)

Reaction Score
I do not see anyway Lester is not in the rotation in the playoffs. The game against the DBack was brutual, but he gave up 11 runs over his previous 5 starts with a 31/8 K/BB ratio. He has been pitching a lot better and with everyone healthy I do not see how hes not pitching Game 2 or 3 if the Sox make the playoffs.
There are a number of people in Boston who are losing patience with Lester. http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/...ster_for_wil_myers_what_should_have_been.html
At the end of this month, assuming he continues to pitch poorly, he will have completed two years of mediocrity. 19-26 4.82. I actually agree that he would probably get a start in the post-season. I question whether his performance warrants it.

Reaction Score
Lester has to get a start....no matter where his performances are he is truly the one guy who can shut someone down with a performance, even more so than a healthy Buccy. Actually can't win against a good team without him finding his groove in a 7 game series!

Reaction Score
Lester is an enigma.

Few years ago one of bright young pitchers in game.

Now...not so much. Crappy command. Mediocre. I don't get it.

That said...someone explain Tim Lincecum...two Cy Youngs and a stud....now basically awful.

Reaction Score
Lester is an enigma.

That said...someone explain Tim Lincecum...two Cy Youngs and a stud....now basically awful.
Lincecum may be coming back. In his last seven games he is 2-3 with an ERA of 3.26. Over 47 innings he's had 57 K's and only 12 Walks. He had one bad game against Cincinnati but that was after throwing 148 pitches in a complete game no-hitter against the Pads.

Of course that doesn't explain Lester. He pitched fairly well in his last game but I have no idea what he will do next time out. If the Giants would agree, I would send Lester, Middlebrooks and a lifetime supply of sausage, pepper and onion sandwiches to them for Lincecum.

Reaction Score
Lester is an enigma.

Had great corporate seats behind the plate this year at Fenway and saw Lester pitch a masterful game. Sometimes he appears to be reverting to a younger Lester who nibbled too much, got behind hitters and then had to come in with a meatball. He has the pitches and ability to look and pitch like an ace but just when you think he has it, he pitches a stinker. He is puzzling for sure.

Reaction Score
Lincecum may be coming back. In his last seven games he is 2-3 with an ERA of 3.26. Over 47 innings he's had 57 K's and only 12 Walks. He had one bad game against Cincinnati but that was after throwing 148 pitches in a complete game no-hitter against the Pads.

Of course that doesn't explain Lester. He pitched fairly well in his last game but I have no idea what he will do next time out. If the Giants would agree, I would send Lester, Middlebrooks and a lifetime supply of sausage, pepper and onion sandwiches to them for Lincecum.

That is what makes Lincecum's case even stranger---thru this nightmare (except for the occasional good/great game)---he has maintained his high K numbers...I wouldn't touch him, never mind giving up guys like that for him.

Beyond puzzling.

Reaction Score
That is what makes Lincecum's case even stranger---thru this nightmare (except for the occasional good/great game)---he has maintained his high K numbers...I wouldn't touch him, never mind giving up guys like that for him.

Beyond puzzling.

Yeah huh.......would make a negative thinking a** like me go Hmmmmmmmm:eek:

Reaction Score
Put him on the list....

LOL...........you have to help me here GO!! While I hope they figure this out there's no way they're close as people think........

Jack Clark got fired for saying he heard something from Pujols trainer.......he should just shut up but you think he's lying? Crazy thing is Albert is not afraid to take any test so he knows his guy has it figured out for now or else he's off of it.........and I like Pujols does a lot for people outside the game!! But he was a user..........

Viking is all over me because the Yanks suck :D

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sox have 4 games in hand to TB, 3 to Baltimore. That has to help the Sox in the pitching department relatively speaking, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Sox have 4 games in hand to TB, 3 to Baltimore. That has to help the Sox in the pitching department relatively speaking, doesn't it?
The Sox starters have been pretty mediocre lately. Even Lackey who had been dependable is 0-0 4.95 in his last five games. Right now the most reliable Sox starter is Felix Dubront. Fortunately the pen has been solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom