Starting Lineup For The IUP Game Announced | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Lineup For The IUP Game Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guys this is an exhibition game against a smaller team! Why in the world would Natalie Butler start??!?!?

Geno's starting 5 is rarely, if ever, determined by the opponent. And certainly wouldn't be in an exhibition game.

Reaction Score
Butler not starting doesn't mean anything. Stokes was the best rebounder and shot blocker to ever play at uconn and she wasn't a starter. As i said before kls and gabby are not guards and geno will not play them at guard as they are needed in the paint.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think you are assuming that. Just because she's not starting doesn't mean she hasn't stepped up and improved. We won't know that until she plays. I mean, Gabby improved 100% last year, but lost her starting spot. And that turned out to be a great move for her, KLS and the Huskies.
I didn't say improved, I said dominated. Frankly at her size if she had dominated there would be no question as her starting. The lineup at this time seems to have Collier or Gabby at center. This lineups shooting will pull the other teams big out of the lanes. On defense though opponents will pound it inside, make no mistake. I mean Baylor can start a lineup of 6'7", 6'4" and 6'4". Yeah, it's still early, and Butler has time to prove herself. But unlike Collier and KLS Butler was healthy this summer and could work on her game, work in the weight room. I'm just disappointed that her improvement wasn't enough of a leap. No, I wasn't expecting Butler to morph into Stewie. That goes under the heading of no one anywhere. Undoubtedly she will see significant time this year if for no other reason that Geno's bench is short, Geno usually plays only 6 or 7 and her size will dictate her rotation into the lineup. I'm hoping her entry into the lineup will be for far more positive reasons.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Butler not starting doesn't mean anything. Stokes was the best rebounder and shot blocker to ever play at uconn and she wasn't a starter. As i said before kls and gabby are not guards and geno will not play them at guard as they are needed in the paint.
Stokes didn't start for many reasons. Two reasons were Stewie and Dolson. And if you don't think Gabby can be an AA as a 2 guard guess again.

JordyG

Reaction Score
KLS is not a guard.
Butler isn't starting either because she hasn't passed Gabby or Collier (not a surprise and not a big deal), or underperformance (more concerning).
For now I'm assuming the former.
Who said KLS is a guard? The lineup I've seen is Butler, KLS, Collier, Kia and Gabby. As I've just said, if you also don't think Gabby can be an AA at the 2 guess again. This would be a nice lineup until Danger is ready. And yes, clearly Butler hasn't performed well enough in the gym to make that lineup happen. I wouldn't however write this current lineup in stone.

Reaction Score
Geno's starting 5 is rarely, if ever, determined by the opponent. And certainly wouldn't be in an exhibition game.
Rarely is not NEVER---a host of probabilities present themselves into why Natalie is not starting--
Not starting is NOT saying she won't or that she MAY be more effective after she sees the game going--or as implied by others--she is not starting to send a message about practice.
At some point Geno has to use it or lose it.

Reaction Score
I didn't say improved, I said dominated. Frankly at her size if she had dominated there would be no question as her starting. The lineup at this time seems to have Collier or Gabby at center. This lineups shooting will pull the other teams big out of the lanes. On defense though opponents will pound it inside, make no mistake. I mean Baylor can start a lineup of 6'7", 6'4" and 6'4". Yeah, it's still early, and Butler has time to prove herself. But unlike Collier and KLS Butler was healthy this summer and could work on her game, work in the weight room. I'm just disappointed that her improvement wasn't enough of a leap. No, I wasn't expecting Butler to morph into Stewie. That goes under the heading of no one anywhere. Undoubtedly she will see significant time this year if for no other reason that Geno's bench is short, Geno usually plays only 6 or 7 and her size will dictate her rotation into the lineup. I'm hoping her entry into the lineup will be for far more positive reasons.

Butler is a Junior/Senior---Practiced Geno style for 2 years---played in a number of games last year--showed some moments of better than goodness--has a solid shot--rebounded OK--maybe a bit better. She is not ---a novice!! She came to UC well advertised and authorized by Geno's buddies. I find it hard to believe the kid does not have what it takes to play top level Div 1.

No one is Stewie but Stewie. We'll move on from that--sooner rather than later--. i don't expect her to be Steff as a Senior--but i was hoping for that.

As of today--the season has NOT begun! We shall have ample (ok 3 games) opportunities to look at her before the REAL tough games head our way--and I'm not discounting uSF but Baylor is a game that Natalie should show her stuff--big time--if she is ever going to show it.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Well, the lineup question has finally been answered. Congrats to all of those yarders that predicted that lineup in the recent BY poll. I knew Collier would start. That was a no brainer. Very happy to see Chong in there.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Well, the lineup question has finally been answered. Congrats to all of those yarders that predicted that lineup in the recent BY poll. I knew Collier would start. That was a no brainer. Very happy to see Chong in there.
Yeah, I agree. Let's hope they all stay healthy for the complete year.

Reaction Score
It will be Saniya, Kia, Katie Lou, Gabby, and Naphessa.

View attachment 16463

(Includes 19 page PR release)

He can afford to start this lineup as they are probably at least as tall if not taller overall than IUP. Whether this lineup works against the more talented and bigger teams (OhState, Baylor, SC) for a whole game.....?

Reaction Score
More than mine? :D

Your postings vs your Avatar--only proves the often discarded--see beyond the image to the person--and you'll be pleasantly surprise more times than not.

Reaction Score
He can afford to start this lineup as they are probably at least as tall if not taller overall than IUP. Whether this lineup works against the more talented and bigger teams (OhState, Baylor, SC) for a whole game.....?
This game is not about REAL preparation--it's a warmup game--to evaluate how your team does against some level of competition--and not practice players. Geno will learn few new things--and have some negative thought reinforced. Geno will not be blowing his whistle to teach at the given moment--that happens now in practice.

Only bigger, more talented team will give Uconn what you seek---validation of how good they really are.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saniya is a nod to a senior and a "Wow me", nothing more. I hope I have to scamper off forever in shame, but I think not.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This "probable" starting lineup, announced in a press release (not by Geno), for a meaningless exhibition game, has generated an amazing volume of discussion. I won't attempt to vouch for the collective wisdom expressed -- or not -- herein.

But the sheer logorrhea is a testimony to the severe pangs of Boneyarders' hunger for real honest-to-God UConn wcbb action.

Let the games begin. Finally!:)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I'm just disappointed that her improvement wasn't enough of a leap."

How do you know that? Your assumption about Butler is in itself a leap.

Reaction Score
Rarely is not NEVER---a host of probabilities present themselves into why Natalie is not starting--
Not starting is NOT saying she won't or that she MAY be more effective after she sees the game going--or as implied by others--she is not starting to send a message about practice.
At some point Geno has to use it or lose it.

I don't what you're responding to but it sure as heck wasnt my post.

Reaction Score
This "probable" starting lineup, announced in a press release (not by Geno), for a meaningless exhibition game, has generated an amazing volume of discussion. I won't attempt to vouch for the collective wisdom expressed -- or not -- herein.

But the sheer logorrhea is a testimony to the severe pangs of Boneyarders' hunger for real honest-to-God UConn wcbb action.

Let the games begin. Finally!:)

Yea, and for such an amazing volume of discussion, I must say that I thought someone would have found at least one morsel for discussion buried somewhere in the other 18 pages.

Oh well. I concur, Let the games begin!

Ladies ...Start Your Engines!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"KLS is not a guard." Of course not. Neither is 6'6" Azure' Stevens. Both are listed as a "G/F" because "W" (wing) is still an unofficial designation.

@JavaMan. Here's a morsel! I'm relieved that UConn avoided scheduling a game vs. mighty LaSalle. Our all-time record vs. that Philadelphia powerhouse is 0-3. Yikes!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS