Starting lineup for Arkansas game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup for Arkansas game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No hes better suited at the 1. We already have an all american at the 2. Boatright is perfect as the spark plug off the bench.

very true lamb is awesome but it doesnt matter because with a 3 guard lineup lamb will still be playing off the ball and will be able to do everything he does, and it wont affect his game. Like last year when kemba needed a rest he moved to the 2 spot, and Shabazz was playing the 1 with lamb as the 3rd guard/ small forward. Lamb and kemba both got their points and everyone was happy.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how this thread hit 5 pages. Boatright has played 33 minutes in a UConn uni. Napier has plated 1226 minutes. While I was impressed with Boat and he did more than I expected by far (I was thinking first game out, 14 minutes, 4 or 5 points, 2 assists), there is no way you can think he will be starting in the next game. Napier, Lamb, Daniels (or Roscoe), Olander (or Alex) and Drummond will be the the starters going forward. Boatright is the perfect kind of guy to bring off the bench for energy and a change of pace - exactly like Napier was last year. That's his role and he should embrace it - he'll still get 20+, maybe ++ mintes a game and will have plenty of opportunity to contribute. Napier is the starting point and leader of this team. Plus he's played great albeit for a few turnovers in a couple of games.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how this thread hit 5 pages. Boatright has played 33 minutes in a UConn uni. Napier has plated 1226 minutes. While I was impressed with Boat and he did more than I expected by far (I was thinking first game out, 14 minutes, 4 or 5 points, 2 assists), there is no way you can think he will be starting in the next game. Napier, Lamb, Daniels (or Roscoe), Olander (or Alex) and Drummond will be the the starters going forward. Boatright is the perfect kind of guy to bring off the bench for energy and a change of pace - exactly like Napier was last year. That's his role and he should embrace it - he'll still get 20+, maybe ++ mintes a game and will have plenty of opportunity to contribute. Napier is the starting point and leader of this team. Plus he's played great albeit for a few turnovers in a couple of games.

Like I said in my first post that I do not think Calhoun will start Boatright. Im just saying those 5 guys should be our starters because they will be the most effective lineup for us. I love Bazz but I think he's also a defensive liability because he will have trouble guarding explosive guards like Peyton Siva, Darius Johnson Odom, and Jason Clark in the big east. Boatright will be able to hag with them. Also alot of people are saying that Roscoe is a liability on offense, and shouldn't start because of that is bs. Roscoe doesnt need to score alot, we have boatright, lamb, drummond, and shabazz for that. Roscoe will get points on putbacks, dunks, and loose balls so no worries there. There is not substitute for Roscoe's toughness, defense, and rebounding on this team. The only reason Daniels is starting at the 3 is because Calhoun wants an offensive player at the 3 with this team, and Daniels can shoot the 3 ball, but his defense leaves much to be desired, and as mentioned before he has slow lateral quickness and he wont be able to defend smaller and quicker guys on the perimeter. I expect him to improve throughout the year. Orikahi needs to man up, and play better or learn to sit on the bench.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I thought this smelled a little like MarkT and arayn - another rutgers IP address. Would you please just go away? The Daniels lacks quickness to guard other guys and Napier can't match up against other teams guards was the give away :)

Reaction Score
very true lamb is awesome but it doesnt matter because with a 3 guard lineup lamb will still be playing off the ball and will be able to do everything he does, and it wont affect his game. Like last year when kemba needed a rest he moved to the 2 spot, and Shabazz was playing the 1 with lamb as the 3rd guard/ small forward. Lamb and kemba both got their points and everyone was happy.

If Boatright is as good as Napier was last year I will be thrilled!

Reaction Score
yea lets wait and see how the Arkansas game goes before making any final conclusions, but thats just my opinion on the matter

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Napier is already undersized as a point guard. He doesn't have the size to play the 2. Then again, if he could make it work maybe he could become a less annoying Stephon Marbury.

Reaction Score
Napier is perfectly-sized as a college point guard. Perhaps he's too small to cover Derrick Rose, but he doesn't have to worry about that right now. We've won national championships with two smallish guards three times (if you say Napier-Walker last year rather than Walker-Lamb, since Napier played starter's minutes off the bench).

Reaction Score
I just can't wrap my head around the idea that someone is touting Shabazz as a natural 2.
People seem to have this perception of a point guard as someone who can't really shoot/score, but is a really good passer and defender. They just don't seem to understand that someone who is a good scorer AND good passer can still be a point.

Shabazz is a point guard first, second and third, and a shooting guard fourth. I can't believe anyone would question this.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Can we stop with this nonsense? Through seven games, Napier is averaging 18 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals per game (while shooting nearly 50%) at the point guard position. Yes, he turns it over a bit too much, but how can anybody possibly claim that he hasn't "played the point effectively?"

He was atrocious against Central Florida. He basically carried the team on his back in the other 6 games.

And regarding the actual intended topic of this thread - if Kemba coming off the bench worked in 2009, and Napier coming off the bench worked in 2011, there is very little chance that Calhoun is going to start Boatright this year.

Let's go inside the mind of a Shabazz Napier.

Reaction Score
Errr, what do we know about Arkansas? Nolan Richardson is a formidable coach.

Reaction Score
Shabazz can play both the 1 and the 2 spot. My argument was that he is better suited at the 2 where can shoot and score. His lack of blow by speed, and athleticism, will hurt UCONN in the long run. UCONN is best suited with Boatright at the 1 because of his great penetration, athleticism, and vision that can open up the court for everyone to score especially Lamb and Bazz on the perimeter. You can't susbsitute talent, explosive speed, and athleticism.
First of all, its UConn (ie University of Conn), not all caps. Second of all i still dont understand how you can say he doesnt have speed or athleticism. Have you watched any of the games this year? He continually starts from the perimeter and gets to the rim (speed), then makes a layup, oftentimes twisting around a much taller defender (athleticism). There is no way Shabazz hurts UConn, sorry.

Reaction Score
First of all, its UConn (ie University of Conn), not all caps. Second of all i still dont understand how you can say he doesnt have speed or athleticism. Have you watched any of the games this year? He continually starts from the perimeter and gets to the rim (speed), then makes a layup, oftentimes twisting around a much taller defender (athleticism). There is no way Shabazz hurts UConn, sorry.

No Matt, you are wrong. Huskymania has a point. Because bazz is so unathletic we need him primarily at the 4. However, I don't think he should get many mintues at all really - he'll hurt UConn in the long run.

Reaction Score
No Matt, you are wrong. Huskymania has a point. Because bazz is so unathletic we need him primarily at the 4. However, I don't think he should get many mintues at all really - he'll hurt UConn in the long run.

Yeah, I'd much rather see AD bringing the ball up as our point center. ;)

Reaction Score
MidTown, you got your terms wrong. 1-PG, 2-SG, 3-SF, 4-PF & 5-C.

If you look back at how JC has handled PG-Combos in the past when he's had 2 good ones, is he uses them interchangeably depending on match-ups, line-ups and foul trouble.

My guess is JC will be careful about how much he plays SN and RB together in the first half so that he can have both, or at least one of them, late in the game not in any serious foul trouble. Worst case scenario, would be both with 2 fouls early in the first half and with 3 early in the 2nd half. I would not be surprised to see him start both, though I'm not sure that will happen, and see if they can both play aggressively without getting into early foul trouble. If they show they can do that, I would not be shocked to see a lot of 3-G Sets (SN, RB & JL) throughout the game since that's the line-up that I think is the most dangerous offensively.

Until we get to see a larger body of work, I don't know what type, if any, liability this team will be defensively with SN and RB on the floor together. Many thought that KW and SN would be a liability on defensive. During one stretch they struggled against quick, strong & athletic backcourts, but over time the team D came together and it was not even an issue. So until we get to see how UConn's 5-man unit that includes these two smallish guards play a bunch of games, it's hard to predict.

If JC takes a page from last years play book where he brought Bazz & Chuck off the bench, I would not be surprised if he does the same with RB even if the 3-G set turns out to be UConn's best line-up. The reason for doing so would be to reduce the odds of both RB and SN both picking up early fouls. Chuck seemed to pick up a foul just walking onto the floor. SN was an aggressive defender and JC wanted to let the refs get those quick "set the tone" whistles out of their system before bringing in those two players. I thought JC would be doing the same with AD, who like most young bigs tends to pick up silly fouls, but Alex has played so poorly so far this season, and AD seems to be a tad more careful, that he's decided to throw cation to the wind and start AD.

Also, don't forget that JC sometimes rewards players for their efforts in practice, though over the past few years it's been more talk that action. He'll say player-x had a great week of practice and then still doesn't give that player more PT. More a motivation for the player(s) who didn't put out a great effort in practice.

With all this said, I think he starts the same line-up we've been seeing recently:

1-SN, 2-JL, 3-DD, 4-TO & 5-AD

...but after the first whistle or two quickly goes to the line-up he likes most:

1/2-RB, 2/1-SN, 3-JL, 4-* & 5-AD (I think we'll see RB at the 1 a little more often than SN when they're on the floor together since it looks like he's a little better at getting by his man than Bazz and that's JC's preferred type of offensive attack - Generate good scoring opportunities, by getting the D to breakdown by forcing the opponent to over commit with help-D. I think both SN and RB are equally effective off the ball. Both can catch and shoot the 3 or catch, drive and hit the midrange or dish of the dribble. They are quite interchangeable though RB is a little better at taking his man off the dribble than Bazz, making him a slightly better option at the 1 than Bazz. If Ryan loses the trust of JC by making some bad decisions, that could change.)

(* TO was our best 4 early on, but had a bad game against FSU. I'm sure JC wants Alex & Roscoe to get back on track, but for the Arkansas game and however many that will follow, TO, AO & RS will all be battling for the PT that is not taken up by AD. I think TO will continue to be solid, but AO and RS are capable of monster games if they can turn things around. Our best chances to repeat as NCs is for AO and RS picking up where they left off last season and go beyond that. I think it's going to take time but they'll come around.)

Reaction Score

If you look back at how JC has handled PG-Combos in the past when he's had 2 good ones, is he uses them interchangeably depending on match-ups, line-ups and foul trouble.

My guess is JC will be careful about how much he plays SN and RB together in the first half so that he can have both, or at least one of them, late in the game not in any serious foul trouble. Worst case scenario, would be both with 2 fouls early in the first half and with 3 early in the 2nd half. I would not be surprised to see him start both, though I'm not sure that will happen, and see if they can both play aggressively without getting into early foul trouble. If they show they can do that, I would not be shocked to see a lot of 3-G Sets (SN, RB & JL) throughout the game since that's the line-up that I think is the most dangerous offensively.

Until we get to see a larger body of work, I don't know what type, if any, liability this team will be defensively with SN and RB on the floor together. Many thought that KW and SN would be a liability on defensive. During one stretch they struggled against quick, strong & athletic backcourts, but over time the team D came together and it was not even an issue. So until we get to see how UConn's 5-man unit that includes these two smallish guards play a bunch of games, it's hard to predict.

If JC takes a page from last years play book where he brought Bazz & Chuck off the bench, I would not be surprised if he does the same with RB even if the 3-G set turns out to be UConn's best line-up. The reason for doing so would be to reduce the odds of both RB and SN both picking up early fouls. Chuck seemed to pick up a foul just walking onto the floor. SN was an aggressive defender and JC wanted to let the refs get those quick "set the tone" whistles out of their system before bringing in those two players. I thought JC would be doing the same with AD, who like most young bigs tends to pick up silly fouls, but Alex has played so poorly so far this season, and AD seems to be a tad more careful, that he's decided to throw cation to the wind and start AD.

Also, don't forget that JC sometimes rewards players for their efforts in practice, though over the past few years it's been more talk that action. He'll say player-x had a great week of practice and then still doesn't give that player more PT. More a motivation for the player(s) who didn't put out a great effort in practice.

With all this said, I think he starts the same line-up we've been seeing recently:

...but after the first whistle or two quickly goes to the line-up he likes most:

1/2-RB, 2/1-SN, 3-JL, 4-* & 5-AD (I think we'll see RB at the 1 a little more often than SN when they're on the floor together since it looks like he's a little better at getting by his man than Bazz and that's JC's preferred type of offensive attack - Generate good scoring opportunities, by getting the D to breakdown by forcing the opponent to over commit with help-D. I think both SN and RB are equally effective off the ball. Both can catch and shoot the 3 or catch, drive and hit the midrange or dish of the dribble. They are quite interchangeable though RB is a little better at taking his man off the dribble than Bazz, making him a slightly better option at the 1 than Bazz. If Ryan loses the trust of JC by making some bad decisions, that could change.)

(* TO was our best 4 early on, but had a bad game against FSU. I'm sure JC wants Alex & Roscoe to get back on track, but for the Arkansas game and however many that will follow, TO, AO & RS will all be battling for the PT that is not taken up by AD. I think TO will continue to be solid, but AO and RS are capable of monster games if they can turn things around. Our best chances to repeat as NCs is for AO and RS picking up where they left off last season and go beyond that. I think it's going to take time but they'll come around.)
i love all your initials.

Reaction Score

DogMania, are you and HuskyMania brothers? BTW, I obviously was being sarcastic about the numbers of the positions - I was making fun of your distant cousin for suggesting Bazz play the 2 because he's so unathletic and a liability

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This thread has become increasingly hilarious as the pages go on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom