Starting lineup and bench order | The Boneyard

Starting lineup and bench order

Reaction Score
Locks to start:
Jackson
Newton
Hawkins
Sanogo

5th spot could be Samson, Karaban or maybe even Alleyne if we are going with a small ball lineup and because of his starting experience. Based on everything we’ve heard though, I would bet Samson gets the most starts and the other 2 are first off the bench.

We will go legitimately 10-11 deep this year so everyone except the international guys and walk-ons should get a decent amount of run.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This lineup assumes Johnson is a floor spacer. If Johnson is not hitting in practice, Alleyne would step in and move Jackson to stretch 4. The 5th starter has to shoot.

1. Newton
2. Hawkins
3. Jackson
4. Johnson
5. Sanogo

Alleyne didn’t come here not to play, he’ll get significant minutes either off the bench or in the starting lineup. Might be the best bench player in the conference if we can keep him there.

Final note: Teams mostly stay with 8 man rotations once conference play starts. So I’m sticking to that idea.

6. Alleyne
7. Karaban
8. Diarra

Will play more when faced with foul trouble on Johnson/Sanogo, and teams with large bigs. Closest of the fringe guys to consistent minutes.

9. Clingan

Fringe rotation guys against weaker teams:

9. Clingan
10. Calcatera(spelling?)
11. Springs

Never playing/Blowouts: International Duo

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This lineup assumes Johnson is a floor spacer. If Johnson is not hitting in practice, Alleyne would step in and move Jackson to stretch 4. The 5th starter has to shoot.

1. Newton
2. Hawkins
3. Jackson
4. Johnson
5. Sanogo

Alleyne didn’t come here not to play, he’ll get significant minutes either off the bench or in the starting lineup. Might be the best bench player in the conference if we can keep him there.

Final note: Teams mostly stay with 8 man rotations once conference play starts. So I’m sticking to that idea.

6. Alleyne
7. Karaban
8. Diarra

Will play more when faced with foul trouble on Johnson/Sanogo, and teams with large bigs. Closest of the fringe guys to consistent minutes.

9. Clingan

9. Clingan
10. Calcatera(spelling?)
11. Springs

I think the international duo and Calcaterra are going to surprise us. I don't think Springs or Clingan see much of the floor.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think the international duo and Calcaterra are going to surprise us. I don't think Springs or Clingan see much of the floor.
They have quite a climb to make into the rotation if you’re right. Alleyne/Diarra/Calcaterra are veterans with high floors that were probably promised roles to some extent. Karaban was a former top 100 recruit with a year of experience practicing with team over the new guys, right now he seems like a more established version of Hasson. Clingan doesn’t really factor into their playing time much. And finally Richie has many years on them, and a significant size advantage.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

1. Newton
2. Hawkins
3. Jackson
4. Johnson
5. Sanogo

6. Alleyne
7. Karaban
8. Diarra

9. Clingan

9. Clingan
10. Calcatera(spelling?)
11. Springs

I don’t think Calcaterra came here or to play at all either.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there is any reason to believe the starting 5 won’t be Newton, Hawkins, AJax, Samson, Sanogo. Karaban compete for that PF spot as the season goes on, but it should be Samson’s to start.

6- Alleyne
7- Diarra
8- Karaban
9- Clingan/Calcaterra
10- Calcaterra/Clingan
11- Springs

I don’t think anyone outside the top 8 will get more than 10 MPG. Hurley is short with his rosters

Reaction Score
The rotation in November is not the rotation after the first of the year. Against easy opponents Hurley will put almost everybody in and determine what’s what against quality teams. The problem is that a bench player can put up quick numbers on an easy team and it won’t mean a lot. Bench always gets shorter and shorter as the season goes.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Calcaterra came here or to play at all either.
100% agree, Calcaterra will play some, doesn't mean he is bumping someone from the rotation, he is just taking some minutes here and there. Especially if we are cold from the outside and we legit don't have knock down shooters playing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think there is any reason to believe the starting 5 won’t be Newton, Hawkins, AJax, Samson, Sanogo. Karaban compete for that PF spot as the season goes on, but it should be Samson’s to start.

6- Alleyne
7- Diarra
8- Karaban
9- Clingan/Calcaterra
10- Calcaterra/Clingan
11- Springs

I don’t think anyone outside the top 8 will get more than 10 MPG. Hurley is short with his rosters
This. Johnson should start and be impactful. I do think we may face some opponents where Dan changes that. He's not starting the same 5 guys every game.

I see Alleyne is a super 6th man, he can sub at several positions. Not sure Diarra plays more than Karaban, mostly because I think Jackson will be at PG some of the time when Newton goes out. Calcaterra could surprise to upside on minutes. I expect Johnson will back up Sanogo as often as Clingan does. But maybe not.

Reaction Score
I just can't see how anyone on this board could put Samson over Alex at this point (or vice versa). What's it based on? A hope to have a taller player? Because other than that, I don't see a reason at this point.

Reaction Score
Predicting Hurley, I agree with the Newton, Hawkins, Jackson, Johnson, Sanogo, Nov starters.
Predicting Hurley I agree he will use a shorter bench in bigger games.

I don't really care about the specific mix of starters because I think we will/should see a ton of substitutions and lineup mixes based on the game matchups, individual player skills, and game situations. I will say that you have to find minutes for your best deep shooters, and the starting lineup leaves Karaban, Calceterra, and Alleyne off the court where they don't need to be defended to stretch the floor to give Sanogo space. Johnson can make a three, but wasn't a knock down shooter. Clingan's minutes I expect will be referee dependent, but he is too unique a player to not develop game experience as a frosh. If Clingan can set offensive picks he can have a big role just freeing up our shooters. Diarra is proven clutch and likely our second best ball handler, and, I suspect he is a strong on the ball defender. That's 10 players that have something important to offer.

In my view, with this team, when a guy is off his game you go on to the next guy and ride the guys doing the job that day. I'm generally in favor of letting guys play through their mistakes, and always hated Calhoon's quick hook. With that said, of all the years to say he'll let Johnson play through his mistakes, this should be the year of the semi quick hook because we have other guys to play. As everybody knows, I think Karaban offers a more complete game at that position in the first place.

Give me Newton, Alleyne, Calceterra, Jackson, Karaban, to take the ball in bounds at the end of a game with a 1-3 point lead. No turnovers and will make the foul shots. (I don't trust Hawkin's handle yet).

Reaction Score

Top Nine:
Newton, Hawkins, Jackson, S. Johnson, Sanogo, Alleyne, Diarra, Donovan, Karaban.

The next group:
Calcaterra, Springs, Greek Kid, Israeli Kid

Feel if we need some outside shooting Calcaterra will get some minutes but if the kid aint hitting he aint seeing the floor.

Reaction Score
Alleyne helped push out 3 of our future guard out the door. He's D1 experienced with proven results.

Can't see him coming here to play off the bench, especially since our guard roster was completely cleared. Just saying, right now I think the starting position is his to lose (via practice/scrimmages).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who’s he replacing in the rotation?
If he’s as good as they say, and isn’t just being Akok Denged, I could see him in a John Gwynn kind of a roll coming in and being a spark off the bench. He could steal a few minutes in the two and three slots.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Newton
Hawkins
Jackson
Johnson
Sanogo

Alleyne
Karaban
Diarra
Calcaterra/Clingan
Springs

I think Calcaterra and Clingan will get spot minutes depending on matchups.

Reaction Score
Alleyne helped push out 3 of our future guard out the door. He's D1 experienced with proven results.
I know that sounds like a good narrative to help pump up how good Alleyne is, but that's not exactly true. Gaffney and Diggins announced they were transferring (late March) about a month before Alleyne announced he was transferring to UConn (April 21). A few days after that Floyd announced he was transferring. So I think it's probably reasonable to assume that Alleyne forced only Floyd's transfer.

Reaction Score

Can't see him coming here to play off the bench, especially since our guard roster was completely cleared. Just saying, right now I think the starting position is his to lose (via practice/scrimmages).
Guard roster cleared but we still had Hawkins, Jackson (G/F) and picked up Newton so not like we had zero guards when landed him.

Heard that Johnson has an edge to start. Also, Rothstein had Alleyne starting in all his preseason lineups. He went to see practice and then he swapped Alleyne and Johnson but who knows.

Reaction Score
might be a record for most starting lineup prediction threads in a single offseason

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom