Starting line-up according to history | The Boneyard

Starting line-up according to history

Reaction Score
I've seen some starting line-ups posts but we have to remember that Geno Auriemma puts a premium on seniors, players who understand the offense, and being able to add sparks off the bench, the starting line-up will most likely be:

Azzi Fudd
Caroline Ducharme
Aubrey Griffin
Aaliyah Edwards
Dorka Juhasz

I think it's great, Nika subs for Azzi given the point guard depth, they both shouldn't be on the floor at the same time unless it works for the matchup. Geno can choose whether he pulls Griffin or Ducharme for Lopez-Senechal or Ayanna Patterson and it all matches up. Or doesn't, you let me know.

Reaction Score
I think Geno would want to start a senior if he could and Griffin is probably a better defender and rebounder than either Ducharme or LLS.

Reaction Score
I've seen some starting line-ups posts but we have to remember that Geno Auriemma puts a premium on seniors, players who understand the offense, and being able to add sparks off the bench, the starting line-up will most likely be:

Azzi Fudd
Caroline Ducharme
Aubrey Griffin
Aaliyah Edwards
Dorka Juhasz

I think it's great, Nika subs for Azzi given the point guard depth, they both shouldn't be on the floor at the same time unless it works for the matchup. Geno can choose whether he pulls Griffin or Ducharme for Lopez-Senechal or Ayanna Patterson and it all matches up. Or doesn't, you let me know.
If Nika merely subs for Azzi, she'll probably see only 10 mins/g. That doesn't sound right to me. I don't see Aubrey starting, even though she is a senior. She just doesn't have the offensive punch Azzi and Caroline have, and we have done well starting Nika for defensive punch in the back court. Aubrey is only going to get rotation minutes, though maybe a lot of them.

If Geno plays the usual 5+2 that he's relied on historically, the question is who the 2 will be. My guess is Lou and Amari. But it could just as well be Lou and Aubrey or Lou and Ayanna.

Reaction Score

Azzi Fudd
Caroline Ducharme
Aubrey Griffin
Aaliyah Edwards
Dorka Juhasz

I don't agree. unless he is going to change to more press press press and Aubrey is extremely healthy.

Just looking back at the past, two years ago, he gave more minutes and started Nika when she was healthy vs Aubrey. With Aubrey coming off of injury it is extremely doubtful he'll have Griff start.

Plus the offense only has two outside shooters. And we know Geno is not afraid to play small.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
It's not that I agree or disagree with @AzzisBraids braids possible starting 5, but I do appreciate the clean out-of-the-box thinking that comes from @AzzisBraids posts. As much as I adore Nika, I could go with this lineup. It does make sense from a(n) historical perspective.

Reaction Score
The reason I think the 2 in the 5+2 lineup will be Lou and Amari is because we need a center to step in when Dorka leaves at the end of this year. This is an important opportunity to get Amari ready. Do we have any other bigs on the horizon?

PvP

Reaction Score
If Nika merely subs for Azzi, she'll probably see only 10 mins/g. That doesn't sound right to me. I don't see Aubrey starting, even though she is a senior. She just doesn't have the offensive punch Azzi and Caroline have, and we have done well starting Nika for defensive punch in the back court. Aubrey is only going to get rotation minutes, though maybe a lot of them.

If Geno plays the usual 5+2 that he's relied on historically, the question is who the 2 will be. My guess is Lou and Amari. But it could just as well be Lou and Aubrey or Lou and Ayanna.
The best players all around are Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Dorka and Lou. Nika is just too much of a liability offensively. When she subs for Azzi, the opposition can safely ignore her and double team the hot shooter. Ten minutes seems about right for Nika unless she has vastly improved her offense and can control her fouling and turnovers.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We need a point guard and Nika is it. Stanford and SC do not have experienced point guards and that will cost them games. We had Maria Conlon at the pg who didnt score alot of points and could shoot. Maria had Diana. We have Nika and Azzi and we will see how much Nika's shot has improved. Azzi can play the point however she is a shooter and scorer and I would think Geno recruited her for that and would like to keep her there.

Griff will have to be brought along slowly and carefully as not to run into problems with her back. We dont know how many minutes she can play until it affects her later in the season. We need to protect her. We could say the same about Dorka. Our roster has taken a huge hit with Paige and ICE sitting and we are still really really good. We cant afford any more injuries or setbacks.

My starting lineup is Nika Azzi Caroline Edwards and Dorka. Lou Griff and Amari off the bench. I agree we need Amari up to speed for this season and next season too when Dorka graduates and even if Geno brings in another big which we have heard may be coming from overseas she still has to learn the UConn system. Injuries and foul trouble must be avoided this season.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
“Nika’s that emotional driving force that pushes pur team forward. She thinks she can accomplish anything and she makes the team think like that.”

”Nika brings so much fire and intensity and aggressiveness to our team. Playing against her in 3x3, I’m like SO glad this girl is on my team because if I had to play against her, I would absolutely HATE her.”

These aren’t random Boneyard posters, first quote is Coach Auriemma, second is Azzi. These folks see Nika day in, day out, and what they’re saying doesn’t seem to me to jibe with the OP.

Reaction Score

Agreed, particularly in regards to Nika and Azzi. With a shortage of guards Nika has to play more than 10 minutes even if she is the least used of the main four (Azzi, Nika, Caroline and Lou). Inez is probably just injury insurance, but could be needed sometime during the season, and Aubrey is more 4 than 3.

I really take exception to the notion in the original post that Nika is just Azzi's backup, and that they are never in the game at the same time. Azzi might be the best potential PG overall, but her best position by far is shooting guard. Nika is less versatile, but her best position is PG. Further when they are both in the game at the same time, which should happen for many minutes, it would be madness to have Azzi take the point guard role and try to turn Nika into a SG. Finally with the original posted gameplan Azzi plays 100% of her minutes at PG and 0% at her best position.

If Nika starts and plays the point when in the game, you are maximizing her talents and Azzi's because Azzi probably plays 75-80% of her minutes at SG and only when Nika is sitting does she play PG. Even if Nika doesn't start, the more likely answer is probably Lou instead of Aubrey. They are both talented players with very different skills, but Lou is a natural for either the 2 or 3. Aubrey is more 4 than 3, and playing her at the 2 would be stretching it even further. But regardless of who starts, Nika and Azzi should often be on the floor together with Nika the PG and Azzi the SG.

It took a while for Geno to make that switch with Paige and Nika as well. Both Paige and Azzi are better overall PG's than Nika. but both are way way better SG's than Nika, and PG Nika with SG of Azzi or Paige is much better than Azzi or Paige at PG and Nika at SG.

Reaction Score
I agree with much, especially
Agreed, particularly in regards to Nika and Azzi. With a shortage of guards Nika has to play more than 10 minutes even if she is the least used of the main four (Azzi, Nika, Caroline and Lou). Inez is probably just injury insurance, but could be needed sometime during the season, and Aubrey is more 4 than 3.

I really take exception to the notion in the original post that Nika is just Azzi's backup, and that they are never in the game at the same time. Azzi might be the best potential PG overall, but her best position by far is shooting guard. Nika is less versatile, but her best position is PG. Further when they are both in the game at the same time, which should happen for many minutes, it would be madness to have Azzi take the point guard role and try to turn Nika into a SG. Finally with the original posted gameplan Azzi plays 100% of her minutes at PG and 0% at her best position.

If Nika starts and plays the point when in the game, you are maximizing her talents and Azzi's because Azzi probably plays 75-80% of her minutes at SG and only when Nika is sitting does she play PG. Even if Nika doesn't start, the more likely answer is probably Lou instead of Aubrey. They are both talented players with very different skills, but Lou is a natural for either the 2 or 3. Aubrey is more 4 than 3, and playing her at the 2 would be stretching it even further. But regardless of who starts, Nika and Azzi should often be on the floor together with Nika the PG and Azzi the SG.

It took a while for Geno to make that switch with Paige and Nika as well. Both Paige and Azzi are better overall PG's than Nika. but both are way way better SG's than Nika, and PG Nika with SG of Azzi or Paige is much better than Azzi or Paige at PG and Nika at SG.
I agree with much of what you say. Nika--I think she is versatile, she is a Point guard, her greatest asset is being a SPARK off he bench, and hopefully makes more 3's this year (although she usually made them when it counted most). \
Obviously, this is all for fun conversation, Geno shall have the final word. I believe Geno has 5 that can run the point. Azzi, Nika, Caroline, Lou, Ines should the need arise. None of these 5 can drill the 3 or closer shot at the percentage as Azzi. Sitting a long distance from Storrs, I may try using Azzi as a "back up point", full time Shooting guard.

sun

Reaction Score
In this latest interview posted yesterday, Geno said that whichever player has the ball between Nika & Azzi, will bring the ball upcourt right away and the other will quickly run upcourt without the ball.
That's for when they're both on the court at the same time.
That seems to indicate an either/ or approach when both are on the court without any clear preference.
Which one will bring up the ball while the other won't is about as clear as mud.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi might be the best potential PG overall, but her best position by far is shooting guard. Nika is less versatile, but her best position is PG. Further when they are both in the game at the same time, which should happen for many minutes, it would be madness to have Azzi take the point guard role and try to turn Nika into a SG.
I completely agree.

I have no intention of going down the Nika rabbit hole today. One thing she isn't is a SG. Given the loosely positionless offense we tend toward (at least in the backcourt) people seem to get confused about what it means to be PG on this team. Yes, Nika could help the team a lot by improving her offensive tools -- a midrange jumpshot off the dribble, finishing better at the rim, etc -- but she is really important in every other aspect of the game. We all want her to be a more credible, versatile offensive threat, and I think she can accomplish this. But there are just certain moments when you want her in the game, whatever her offense is.

In my view, her contributions are essential at two points in the game: the first 5 mins of the 1st quarter and the first 5 mins of the 3rd quarter. Watch the Tennessee game again and you'll see why the beginning of the 3rd quarter is Nika-time. If she comes out and dismantles the opposing PG, like she did there, most teams can't recover from that, and we explode offensively. Now this is only 10 mins, but I think we should find other strategic stretches to use her, and I expect we'll see her average 20 mins/g this year. Remember what Azzi said this week: "I'm so glad to have had her on my 3x3 team. If I had to play against her, I'd hate her." That's exactly how we want opposing PGs to feel. "Oh no, not her again!"

Reaction Score
I can't believe the number of people on this site that don't listen to Geno. He decides who plays. He absolutely loves what Nika brings to the team. He has stated that when Nika brings up the ball he is never worried because he knows the offense will begin quickly and something good will happen. She is going to start as long as she is not injured. I'm glad I trust Geno's decisions.

sun

Reaction Score
Is that what he said? I didn't think he was limiting his remark at that moment to only two of the guards.
Yes, he was talking about Nika running upcourt without the ball.

I completely agree.

I have no intention of going down the Nika rabbit hole today. One thing she isn't is a SG. Given the loosely positionless offense we tend toward (at least in the backcourt) people seem to get confused about what it means to be PG on this team. Yes, Nika could help the team a lot by improving her offensive tools -- a midrange jumpshot off the dribble, finishing better at the rim, etc -- but she is really important in every other aspect of the game. We all want her to be a more credible, versatile offensive threat, and I think she can accomplish this. But there are just certain moments when you want her in the game, whatever her offense is.

In my view, her contributions are essential at two points in the game: the first 5 mins of the 1st quarter and the first 5 mins of the 3rd quarter. Watch the Tennessee game again and you'll see why the beginning of the 3rd quarter is Nika-time. If she comes out and dismantles the opposing PG, like she did there, most teams can't recover from that, and we explode offensively. Now this is only 10 mins, but I think we should find other strategic stretches to use her, and I expect we'll see her average 20 mins/g this year. Remember what Azzi said this week: "I'm so glad to have had her on my 3x3 team. If I had to play against her, I'd hate her." That's exactly how we want opposing PGs to feel. "Oh no, not her again!"
Nika doesn't need to play the traditional PG position to be as effective on defense as she has always been.
Nika can be assigned to dismantle the opposing PG without being the offensive PG per se.
Nika can also be the offensive PG without being the only player to bring the ball upcourt if Geno makes that part of his system.
Just because Nika may share PG duties doesn't mean that she automatically becomes the SG.
I don't know of anything that would prevent the SG from bringing the ball upcourt if that's what Geno wants.
Obviously Geno has options about how he wants to run the team.
They're not my decisions but something that he talked about in the interview which I respect.
The same may very well apply to Ines too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, he was talking about Nika running upcourt without the ball.
Geno said that whichever player has the ball between Nika & Azzi, will bring the ball upcourt right away and the other will quickly run upcourt without the ball.

This probably isn't worth fussing over -- and I wouldn't bother except that we're all so prone to intemperate threads on Nika, so precision may matter in this one case.

The segment you're thinking of begins at 13:21 in the video you linked above, and it begins with a reflection on Azzi's skills as a PG. Then he switches to a general remark about how they don't like to have rigidly defined roles in the backcourt. He explains this as follows:

"For us, when you have the ball in your hands, you have to dribble the ball up the floor, if you don't you run up the floor..."

Nika then becomes an example of someone who might happen to bring the ball up the floor ("...because that's what she does really well"), but he quickly switches to a more inclusive remark about "those other guys, Azzi especially" bringing the ball up.

This is why I didn't think he was identifying a specific PG tandem. The context is his confidence in letting Azzi do whatever she wants if she brings the ball up the floor, "because I know something pretty good is going to happen." But he also seems to be referring to the entire group: to Azzi Caroline Lou Nika Ines ("those other guys"), as people who might have the ball in their hands and dribble it up the floor. I don't want folks to think Geno has made a declaration of who is going to be PG in this presser. His remarks were more general, except insofar as they refer to Azzi being able to do pretty much anything.

I'm sorry if I've misinterpreted you, and maybe you meant something other than that Geno had suggested Nika and Azzi were going to be his PG tandem. And I apologize to everyone else for my absurd fussiness.

PvP

Reaction Score
The best players all around are Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Dorka and Lou. Nika is just too much of a liability offensively. When she subs for Azzi, the opposition can safely ignore her and double team the hot shooter. Ten minutes seems about right for Nika unless she has vastly improved her offense and can control her fouling and turnovers.
Sorry to have drawn the fire of Nika fans but Geno has pointed out her limitations so I'm not alone in my simply stating the facts. If it's a choice between Nika and Lou, it's no contest.

Reaction Score
Nika is hardly a liability. Nika will start and show shes upped her game.

sun

Reaction Score
This probably isn't worth fussing over -- and I wouldn't bother except that we're all so prone to intemperate threads on Nika, so precision may matter in this one case.

The segment you're thinking of begins at 13:21 in the video you linked above, and it begins with a reflection on Azzi's skills as a PG. Then he switches to a general remark about how they don't like to have rigidly defined roles in the backcourt. He explains this as follows:

"For us, when you have the ball in your hands, you have to dribble the ball up the floor, if you don't you run up the floor..."

Nika then becomes an example of someone who might happen to bring the ball up the floor ("...because that's what she does really well"), but he quickly switches to a more inclusive remark about "those other guys, Azzi especially" bringing the ball up.

This is why I didn't think he was identifying a specific PG tandem. The context is his confidence in letting Azzi do whatever she wants if she brings the ball up the floor, "because I know something pretty good is going to happen." But he also seems to be referring to the entire group: to Azzi Caroline Lou Nika Ines ("those other guys"), as people who might have the ball in their hands and dribble it up the floor. I don't want folks to think Geno has made a declaration of who is going to be PG in this presser. His remarks were more general, except insofar as they refer to Azzi being able to do pretty much anything.

I'm sorry if I've misinterpreted you, and maybe you meant something other than that Geno had suggested Nika and Azzi were going to be his PG tandem. And I apologize to everyone else for my absurd fussiness.
Like everyone here, I've also been watching & reading the other interviews where Azzi has said that Geno wants her to be more like Paige, and he wants to run more of the offense through her.
There's more context than this single interview.

In another post, when I mentioned that Nika averaged about 21 minutes last year, someone was kind enough to inform me that,
"Slight tweak to your Nika stat of playing time. Overall, she played 21 minutes a game.
1. However, when she started, and was healthy, she played 28+ minutes a game.
2. The other 14 non-starting games she played an average of just under 13 minutes per."

In part that was probably because Paige returned from injury and started playing again, and foul trouble.
But it's still included in the history of which players started for UConn last year & their PT.
Personally I think that Nika may be able to score more points by changing her role a little bit & allowing her to mix it up offensively.
She's made a lot of shots from outside of the arc as if she were playing in the 3 position, and Carol or Lou could effectively become the SG when Azzi has the ball in her hands.
I think that they're going to mix it up a bit, but with the ball in Azzi's hands more often, then Azzi will become more of a leader and a playmaker.
That seems to be what Geno wants from her this year in order for her to become more like Paige.
That's been a theme mentioned in several interviews by both Geno and Azzi.

I can't help but think that it's more about making decisions and what will each do with the ball when they get it, than about who is the PG & the SG.
They're all need to learn how to score together as a team.
That's the only way that UConn is going to succeed against the tougher teams.
And Azzi also needs to learn how to be a PG when Nika is not on the court.
Azzi has said that she's comfortable doing it and looking forward to it.
They're like sisters and will get along, and Nika should end up scoring more points too by making shots that are comfortable for her, by receiving the ball in a spot where she feels that she can make the shot count.
I don't think that Nika has been very comfortable or confident taking shots on the move off her dribble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In this latest interview posted yesterday, Geno said that whichever player has the ball between Nika & Azzi, will bring the ball upcourt right away and the other will quickly run upcourt without the ball.
That's for when they're both on the court at the same time.
That seems to indicate an either/ or approach when both are on the court without any clear preference.
Which one will bring up the ball while the other won't is about as clear as mud.

I don't know. For talking point purposes - I think he said/implied that he tries to have Nika be the point guard. Because he said when she is in the game we try to get her the ball because she pushes it up the floor really well. And then he made the comment "the others . . ." in questioning manner that they do it as well as her or even that well.

So yeah Azzi can push the ball up the floor but overall Nika is the player they want to push the ball up the floor is what he seemed to say imo.

And he was only addressing pushing the ball up the floor. IMO if he says they are going to look fot Nika to get the ball to because she has good vision/passes very well etc then more than likely when you aren't pushing the ball up the floor you're giving the ball to your best passer/best vision.

Reaction Score
Sorry to have drawn the fire of Nika fans but Geno has pointed out her limitations so I'm not alone in my simply stating the facts. If it's a choice between Nika and Lou, it's no contest.
IMO what may have drawn ire is your tone/assuredness that she will only get 10 minutes. You’ve written her off which while you point out Geno has mentioned her limaition(s). But on this very thread the very video from above Geno is also speaking of her being a player that they want to get the ball to when she is in because she pushes the ball better than anyone else. SO if his focus is on pushing the ball which it usually is, then to write her off as you are doing no doubt it will draw some ire.

To further that, about your "safely ignore her" comment - sure it's possible. But you have made it sound like she hasn't shown a capability to knock down shots. This wouldn't be true. Once Geno started her in her frosh year vs GTOWN and before her injury in the NCAA Tourney (16 games) she shot 38.3% from 3. That's equivalent to 57.45% from 2. If she could get close to those numbers then no way can she be safely ignored.

Reaction Score
I can't help but think that it's more about making decisions and what will each do with the ball when they get it, than about who is the PG & the SG.
They're all need to learn how to score together as a team.
That's the only way that UConn is going to succeed against the tougher teams.
And Azzi also needs to learn how to be a PG when Nika is not on the court.
Azzi has said that she's comfortable doing it and looking forward to it.
They're like sisters and will get along, and Nika should end up scoring more points too by making shots that are comfortable for her, by receiving the ball in a spot where she feels that she can make the shot count.
I don't think that Nika has been very comfortable or confident taking shots on the move off her dribble.
I mainly agree, though I don't really think it makes much sense to think of Nika as an SG, even within the loose confines of our "portionless" style of offense. It's not that she's a bad shooter -- she's okay from the perimeter when she gets an uncontested shot, and her fg% improved from her first to her second year (from 38% to 43%). But she's not really able to create her own shot in the half court. She got a few layups in the half court, but mainly when the other team's defense was in disarray. And she doesn't seem able to get a midrange jump shot off the dribble. These are significant liabilities for a PG or a SG.

The oddity is how few shots Nika takes. I'd say her ft% is abysmal -- 22% last year, 72% the previous year -- but I think the sample size is too small to be significant. The fact is she takes hardly any free throws, or any shots, for that matter. She attempted fewer than 5 fg/g, and only had 9 ft attempts last season. Again, these numbers are not indicative of a typical pg. She couldn't break into the starting lineup on any D1 team with numbers like this, if her main value was offense. What makes her valuable is her tenacity on D, and the fire she brings to her teammates.

I don''t agree that she should limit herself to taking shots she's comfortable with. It's simply not enough for her to make shots she's comfortable taking, because her comfort zone is simply too narrow. If she can only take a wide open, standing set shot, she simply won't get enough opportunities. And she averaged less than one ft/g. This is not enough for a PG, or for whoever we think should be the primary ball handler, and it is indicative of someone who is unwilling to try to get her shot in traffic, from the midrange or in the paint.

This is why so many of us longed to hear that she'd improved her offensive skills and her confidence level, and there are many threads on this topic, too many to repeat any of this here. We were dreaming of what a fantastic multi-dimensional player she could become if she merely added a couple of offensive skills to her arsenal. But even as she is, she can still be a major contributor, even a starter. That's how good she is on D. The sad part for me is that she is not likely to be in close games much in the 4th quarter if her offense hasn't improved, and that's a loss for us, I think.

I probably also disagree that Azzi needs to learn how to be a PG. I think she already has all these skills, and already thinks like a PG. She showed us this in several games last year. I'd say -- given my penchant for hyperbole -- that in terms of skills, she may already be the best PG in the country. In the video you linked above, Geno himself says that Azzi is the most skilled player on the team offensively, including an essential PG skill -- getting to the rim. He also says she could be the best defensive player, and could be the best offensive rebounder. Geno is very high on Azzi's skills.

Reaction Score
Geno's going to put the ball in the hands of his best player (Azzi) and tell her to go out there and make good decisions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom