Starting 5 predictions for 2020 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 predictions for 2020

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wow! When was the last time that we had so much uncertainty regarding so many starting positions? Fascinating!

Don't think there's that much uncertainty although there is some. ONO and Williams are locks to start. The other three spots will almost certainly be made up from the group of Westbrook, Bueckers, Griffin and Makurat. Much as I'm a fan of Aaliyah Edwards I doubt she's ready to start yet or that Geno wants a freshman not named Bueckers in that position. Griffins's ability to make plays, defend, and rebound should make her all but a lock. If Westbrook isn't healthy enough then the choices make themselves. Otherwise Geno has an interesting decision. Personally, I think it's likely to be Bueckers and Westbrook, again assuming EV's healthy. Makurat would still play a lot.

Reaction Score
Don't think there's that much uncertainty although there is some. ONO and Williams are locks to start. The other three spots will almost certainly be made up from the group of Westbrook, Bueckers, Griffin and Makurat. Much as I'm a fan of Aaliyah Edwards I doubt she's ready to start yet or that Geno wants a freshman not named Bueckers in that position. Griffins's ability to make plays, defend, and rebound should make her all but a lock. If Westbrook isn't healthy enough then the choices make themselves. Otherwise Geno has an interesting decision. Personally, I think it's likely to be Bueckers and Westbrook, again assuming EV's healthy. Makurat would still play a lot.

I don't think this is what he meant. I think it's basically unknown how many each will produce. OFC the team will do well. But for example how many will be an A/A this year? Will any be 1st team A/A? Because of EV's health - we don't know what to expect as well. And fi she is great then potentially they can play small a lot. Or if Edwards is great - she can possibly bump Griff and even AMak. What if Muhl is terrific?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree with most of that. 2021 is a very weak draft class I believe Charli Collier Natasha Mack & Rennia Davis are projected to be among the top 3 picks. Even an unhealthy Evina could be among the top 6 picks in the draft. Herbert Harrigan was the 6th pick in the draft last year and she didn't have anything close to an AA season and was picked ahead of two players (Harris and Walker) that did have an AA season.

FWIW, newest 2021 mock draft with Evina slotted 10th.

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn media was pushing a leader and identified UConn as “this players” team, and yet she still came off the bench? I think Westbrook is a lock to start like Williams and Liv.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn media was pushing a leader and identified UConn as “this players” team, and yet she still came off the bench? I think Westbrook is a lock to start like Williams and Liv.
I think you may be reading to much into that. Leadership at UCONN usually comes from the upper classmen. Notice that that's plural not singular. I don't know how someone could possible declare this to be "Evina's team" when she has not play a single minute as a Husky. My read of those article is that Evina's has great leadership skills and the potential to be a leader for this team. This team is going to need more than 1 leader.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Far be it for me to have to defend Coco, who is more than capable (and proficient) but the thread asked who any poster thought would start and Coco answered and then defended their logic. Why such pushback? I happen to think the starting five will be Paige, CW, ONO, Evina and Anna. The one worry is rebounding that Aubrey would be first off the bench to provides an inside presence along with ONO and as a lockdown defender to put a stop on the other teams star.
Evina may not be ready at the start of the season but when she is deemed ready, she will be a starter IMHO. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I think everything hinges on Westbrook’s health. If her knee holds up, and she’s good to go, she starts. If not Bueckers starts at guard and learns “OJT“, just like Christyn and Kia did.

I’ve noticed that more and more posters have Aubrey in their starting 5. That was not the case back in April/May. Aaliyah was the consensus to fill that spot back then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Far be it for me to have to defend Coco, who is more than capable (and proficient) but the thread asked who any poster thought would start and Coco answered and then defended their logic. Why such pushback? I happen to think the starting five will be Paige, CW, ONO, Evina and Anna. The one worry is rebounding that Aubrey would be first off the bench to provides an inside presence along with ONO and as a lockdown defender to put a stop on the other teams star.
Evina may not be ready at the start of the season but when she is deemed ready, she will be a starter IMHO. :cool:

I don't see that Coco posted on this thread.

Reaction Score
Even with a knee not 100% Evina will start. Doty & Hunter both started with much worse knees.

I specifically remember that Hunter would take an hour to get the knee ready to play and Geno said she had to start to keep the knee warm. Even though she played about 14 minutes.

Reaction Score
FWIW, newest 2021 mock draft with Evina slotted 10th.

Wow! One of weakest drafts I can remember. Would love to see Evina stay but withdrawing some of my previously posted comments and say this may be a good year for her to declare pro.

Reaction Score
This is her year.. Nobody's in her way... she's not sitting on the bench... watch and see... I'm all in with Christyn...
absolutely rite ktuck911,the most overall talented player on team,,her year for sure!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't see that Coco posted on this thread.
Hey Hoop, not sure if you’re joking or not but Coco posted 4 times so if you really are not seeing any posts then maybe you have our fine colleague on “Ignore”. :cool:

Reaction Score
Hey Hoop, not sure if you’re joking or not but Coco posted 4 times so if you really are not seeing any posts then maybe you have our fine colleague on “Ignore”. :cool:

No I didn.t Hmm I don't I dont think. I got a new computer. Maybe I'm messing up something. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reaction Score
I think everything hinges on Westbrook’s health. If her knee holds up, and she’s good to go, she starts. If not Bueckers starts at guard and learns “OJT“, just like Christyn and Kia did.

I’ve noticed that more and more posters have Aubrey in their starting 5. That was not the case back in April/May. Aaliyah was the consensus to fill that spot back then.
Not having the same summer preparation and early school year workouts has the biggest impact on freshman. UConn system is unique and takes time. Geno works on confidence when it comes to starting and playing time which logistically will be harder for freshmen to earn. It's more about covid then it is about Aaliyah for me.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not having the same summer preparation and early school year workouts has the biggest impact on freshman. UConn system is unique and takes time. Geno works on confidence when it comes to starting and playing time which logistically will be harder for freshmen to earn. It's more about covid then it is about Aaliyah for me.

Sometimes I wonder if some of our posters forget that. "UConn system is unique and takes time." It appears that some of them think a freshman is going to just waltz in there and start from day one, with no problems. I always thought that first, they had to learn the system enough to play and function in it, then second, earn Geno's trust.

Aubrey Griffin (I'm a HUGE fan of hers) reminded us last year what it looks like when a player is on the floor that does not completely know/understand the system. They never ran plays for her on offense. On several occasions, other players had to direct her into position on the defensive end of the floor. She got progressively better as the season went along.

EVERY YEAR (usually at his golf tournament), Geno reminds the media that it takes the average freshman a full year to learn his system, and be able to function in it. That means knowing their assignments on BOTH ends of the floor.

Official practice starts in 5 days. After that, the freshmen have 42 calendar days they can practice (with some days off of course) and get ready before UConn can play a game on Wednesday Nov 25. I'm very interested in seeing the complete official schedule. We know they play in The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame game at the Mohegan Sun Arena on the weekend of November 28 & 29. I'm wondering if they'll add a game on Wednesday Nov 25 to begin the season.

O/T: Anyone else here watching the new Star Trek TV series Discovery on CBS? Where are my Trekkies at? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I’ve suggested that Anna start since March, but as we get closer to the first day of official practice, I’m starting to soften my stance on the starting 5.

I agree with your observation that it is quite possible that Paige is so dynamic, that Geno has to start her. I agree that ONO and Williams are locks, and that because she was the 6th man last year (they usually start for Geno the next year), coupled with what Geno said about her being one hundred times better than last year, makes her all but a lock.

Christyn reported that Edwards is “tough”, real tough. Even though she’s a freshman, will that toughness and her experience of being a member of Canada’s Women’s National BB Team be enough to merit her a starting role this year?

These are the things we don’t know yet, and are merely speculating about, with November 25 only 41 days away.

Edwards is going to make freshman mistakes. Anna won’t. Can her overall play out weigh those mistakes? We’ll have a better idea in 6 weeks who the 5 should be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it will be Paige, Christyn, Evina, Anna, and Liv. Of course, if Aubrey has somehow become a competent shooter/scorer I might think differently. I doubt seriously that she has suddenly (in one chaotic, uncertain off season) become that! She is clearly a tremendous weapon as a defensive spark plug/stopper who can (almost singlehandedly) completely change the momentum/flow of the game and that imo is where she is best suited this year. The other factor that will impact her (Aubrey) is Evina’s health. Obviously, if Evina is hampered by her knee, then Aubrey’s
starting position becomes much more likely. Regardless, I believe we are about to witness another run by UConn that may well rival anything we’ve seen before! Better get your popcorn ready!

Reaction Score
I think it will be Paige, Christyn, Evina, Anna, and Liv. Of course, if Aubrey has somehow become a competent shooter/scorer I might think differently. I doubt seriously that she has suddenly (in one chaotic, uncertain off season) become that! She is clearly a tremendous weapon as a defensive spark plug/stopper who can (almost singlehandedly) completely change the momentum/flow of the game and that imo is where she is best suited this year. The other factor that will impact her (Aubrey) is Evina’s health. Obviously, if Evina is hampered by her knee, then Aubrey’s
starting position becomes much more likely. Regardless, I believe we are about to witness another run by UConn that may well rival anything we’ve seen before! Better get your popcorn ready!
I m still an Aubrey fan .. she's a winner just like fellow Noo Yawkuhs Bre&Sue...

Reaction Score
first
Sometimes I wonder if some of our posters forget that. "UConn system is unique and takes time." It appears that some of them think a freshman is going to just waltz in there and start from day one, with no problems. I always thought that first, they had to learn the system enough to play and function in it, then second, earn Geno's trust.

Aubrey Griffin (I'm a HUGE fan of hers) reminded us last year what it looks like when a player is on the floor that does not completely know/understand the system. They never ran plays for her on offense. On several occasions, other players had to direct her into position on the defensive end of the floor. She got progressively better as the season went along.

EVERY YEAR (usually at his golf tournament), Geno reminds the media that it takes the average freshman a full year to learn his system, and be able to function in it. That means knowing their assignments on BOTH ends of the floor.

Official practice starts in 5 days. After that, the freshmen have 42 calendar days they can practice (with some days off of course) and get ready before UConn can play a game on Wednesday Nov 25. I'm very interested in seeing the complete official schedule. We know they play in The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame game at the Mohegan Sun Arena on the weekend of November 28 & 29. I'm wondering if they'll add a game on Wednesday Nov 25 to begin the season.

O/T: Anyone else here watching the new Star Trek TV series Discovery on CBS? Where are my Trekkies at? :rolleyes:
I've watched the 3 episodes(don't get CBS access) and I'm underwhelmed so far..plot boring..characters uninteresting...so far anyway.

Carnac

Reaction Score
first
I've watched the 3 episodes(don't get CBS access) and I'm underwhelmed so far..plot boring..characters uninteresting...so far anyway.

I agree. Not what I expected.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think some of the starters are obvious. Others are not, though some are more likely than others. Before I explain my choices, recall that some players (Kaleena and Kiah) didn't start, but played major minutes. Conversely, some players limited by injuries (Caroline and Brit) started, but weren't able to play major minutes. I think a more meaningful exercise would involve ranking players by minutes played, minutes played in the first 2-3 quarters, and minutes played against ranked teams. Teams do not always start their best 5 players.

Christyn and Olivia will start. They are our most experienced players and arguably our two best players. Both have started for 2 years already. Evina also has started for 2 years, though not at UConn. If her health is ok, I think she starts.

That gives us 3 starters. I see what Anna adds in terms of moving the ball, scoring, and defending. She was a starter last year and did nothing to lose her starting position. I see her as the 4th starter.

The 5th starter is a really tough call. Aubrey, as the most experienced of the other returners, seems like a viable possibility and would likely play the PF slot. However, Geno may want to consider keeping her for the "energy player off the bench."

In terms of the newcomers, I think Paige and Aaliyah are the most likely to be starters. However, more than 300 teams would love to have Mir or Nika in their starting lineups. I don't see that for the Huskies.

So, who is the 5th starter? It may depend on how Geno wants to play. Looking at skills and size, I think Aaliyah may be our most natural PF. If Geno wants to go with a traditional, bigger lineup, she starts. If Geno is comfortable going smaller, or Evina has limited minutes, he may go with Paige as a starter.

I recall Geno and Sue noting that, the day Diana arrived on campus, she was the best player on the team. I heard the same about Maya. I don't recall the same about Stewie, but it may have been true. As much talent as there is on our team, I think Paige may be our best player from early on. She may defer a little, but she plays with an edge. She will be sensational soon. Paigemania comes to Storrs in the autumn of 2020.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've gone on record early saying that on day one Paige will not start, and that as the season progresses she will see more minutes. I've gone on record saying Liv, Christyn, Aubrey, Anna, and Evina will open the season as his starting 5. I've also seen or heard nothing that changes my mind.

Now, in a perfect world, Paige and Edwards will dominate practices, show enough maturity, leadership, and make enough shots to start now, which would make UConn's starting lineup big and nasty. However, every year on the BY, and I mean every year, posters predict one or more freshmen will start, that has rarely been the case, and when they have, most have run into problems. Some early, some late. As phenomenal as Paige's talents may be, and again I've said this before, she is going to have problems leading this team at the PG early on, running the offense, playing defense, and not getting pushed around by bigger opposing players. She may adapt quickly or after the new year, but adapt she must...and will. I just don't see that happening by the first game. Some of the lineups speculated upon here seem more wishful thinking than basketball reality. With some of the lineups I see here I wonder who is going to make shots? Where's the offense coming from? Who's going to be the clutch player? Who's going to be the stopper, especially at the PG position?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom