Starting 5 predictions for 2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 predictions for 2020

Reaction Score
This is her year.. Nobody's in her way... she's not sitting on the bench... watch and see... I'm all in with Christyn...
I expect Williams to remain in the starting line up, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see her defer to Westbrook or Paige.

Reaction Score
I expect Williams to remain in the starting line up, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see her defer to Westbrook or Paige.
That's what team is about... I see all 3 having their "hot" moments this year.... fully expect it... and I see all 3 starting...even if it doesn't start that way, it will end up that way...

Reaction Score
I predict that Evina, Chrystin, and Paige will probably end up averaging the same minutes with Paige coming in. That's great for UConn so they can keep up the press.

I predict that Anna will average the most minutes since she is in the middle between back and front court, so versatile, and an experienced play maker for others. I think of her as the glue.

Paige is great! No argument otherwise but with Covid reducing summer work, I just can't see any freshman even a Maya Moore starting as a freshman under these conditions. I predict GA will rely on his returners to set the tone to start games.

It doesn't mean that Paige and Aaliyah won't have an average minutes per game statistically within the error bounds of the 5 starters. That is great for UConn.

Reaction Score
Even though Geno really doesn't "have positions," for clarity I broke it down to positions:

PG Paige Bueckers
SG Evina Westbrook
SF Christyn Williams
PF Anna Makurat
C Olivia Nelson-Ododa

I think Aubrey Griffin and Aaliyah Edwards will be the 1st 2 off the bench.
The Big East will be surprisingly good competition than people give them credit for!
I also think in order of competition I rank them: South Carolina, Baylor, Tennessee, and Notre Dame! There will be a huge difference between the 1st 2 and the 2nd 2!

Reaction Score
I think Paige will come off the bench, at least at the beginning. Geno didn't start Diana Taurasi as a freshman when he had veterans at guard. Admittedly Sue and Shea were better than these veterans, no disrespect to the current players.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
We shouldn't care about starters, we are going to have Tartars! I predict that Autumn will be the highest scoring walk on in all of women's college basketball.

I am looking forward to the whole season but for different reasons. In the first games, I want to see the 7 new players develop and the team chemistry. I'm going to be watching to see ball movement and players taking the right shot on offense. On defense, I want to see lots of help defense with fundamental rotations for weak side coverage (fundamental as opposed to the elaborate defense of the Gabby/Kia years).

Then in the second half, I am anticipating a solid 8/9 player rotation of high octane offense and swarming defense that will wear our toughest opponents down. I remember looking forward to the fourth quarter to cheer on the Breanna Pulido's and Molly Bent's that they would have their moment. This year I am looking forward to the fourth quarter of pure devastation of every opponent as a talented, extremely fit, highly competitive team that has been superbly managed by the best coaches continues to roar up and down the court leaving nothing but chaos and destruction in their wake. . (Was that a little over the top? :))

The criticism of Geno will be that he runs the score up on other teams. But who can he put in to slow down the pace.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on the sophomore jump of Griffin. If she doesn't have that big improvement, I think Paige starts, otherwise Paige gets significant minutes and may be a starter by season's end. If Griffin can perform like Gabby did, it would be hard to keep that athletic of a player from starting.

Reaction Score
I just checked the roster...

My prediction on the starting 5:

G - Bueckers
G - C Williams
G - Westbrook
F - Griffin
F/C - Nelson-Ododa

Sleeper of the bunch: Edwards... If she can play strong in the paint area she's going to get legit minutes. Footwork, touch is already there. Just want to see how strong she can be.

I think this team is dangerous folks... We have no one on this team shorter than 5' 10.. plenty of length... we also have what appears to be a bunch of high IQ players as well, that should blend quite well. Only concern I see is how we rebound in the paint. We got the warrior Griffin at only 6', but she's gonna need adequate support...

My 2 cents....

You've pinpointed the problem: lack of bulk in middle for rebouding and put-back. Maybe one of the freshmen can help. Edwards?

Reaction Score
Early on I don't think the starting lineup will be as important as the player combos that break games open or do the most damage. The players 6' and under (CW, EW, PB, NM & MM) will have a lot of interchangeability. At times they will play 1 & 2, other times 1, 2 & 3, and certain times 1, 2, 3, & 4. With four of them on the floor at the same time the combo of speed, quickness, passing, shooting and penetration could change a game in a hurry. If they work well in transition they will cause big headaches.

ONO, AM & AE will interchange at 4 & 5. Probably will not see three of them on the floor at the same time very often.

AG is the sixth person (and my favorite). She can play 2, 3 or 4. Every opposing coach knows she's coming off the bench and they will have to figure her out. If her offense improves just 10-20% over last season watch out. If MM is the same quick, disruptive players as AG, I could see both coming in together (maybe not early on, but later in the season). Geno has a huge weapon with AG on the bench. Plugging her in at the right time will be important.

AE will be the first freshman to start. PB won't start until mid year, but will get serious minutes right away. if PB does start right away good for, my bad.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
On the podcast "Chasing Perfection", the hosts remark that Christyn had some very positive comments about Aaliyah Edwards. Reminds her of Napheesa Collier. Not only skills in general but Demeanor and Defense. :)

She did not sugarcoat everything basically saying Piath has alot to learn and improve with footwork and she is constantly working with Liv and CD

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
First out bench: Griffin
Big surprise: Edwards
Edwards should not be a surprise. Geno has been high on her, the Canadian National luv her, and she is Canadian Kia NUrse hockey puck tough. She and Paige were always going to get loads of minutes. Edwards will start after mid-January. The surprise will be Nika Muhl.

Reaction Score
Edwards should not be a surprise. Geno has been high on her, the Canadian National luv her, and she is Canadian Kia NUrse hockey puck tough. She and Paige were always going to get loads of minutes. Edwards will start after mid-January. The surprise will be Nika Muhl.
You are right because US rating services never incorporate foreign players effectively in their ratings. In my opinion Aaliyah would be top 5, and Nika top 10 if they did. I would have liked to have seen more video on Aaliyah, but what I have seen is impressive, and just being the youngest member of the Canadian National Team by itself puts you in elite territory. I am also impressed by comments from the Canadian coach and her high school coach, who while probably biased, when asked how good she could be, said something like "One of the greats". He then clarified he didn't just mean from Canada, he meant everywhere.

There is a tremendous amount of Nika videos on youtube and I encourage every interested fan to check them out. If you do I am pretty sure you will want to find minutes for her. You will see a very special passing ability, and I have never seen a player with more highlights of stealing a player's dribble and turning it into a layup at the other end. In my opinion passing, defense, and rebounding at least for a point guard are givens. In her respective leagues she usually leads in assists, is among the top few in steals, and rebounds at a pace more like a SF.

Reaction Score
You are right because US rating services never incorporate foreign players effectively in their ratings. In my opinion Aaliyah would be top 5, and Nika top 10 if they did. I would have liked to have seen more video on Aaliyah, but what I have seen is impressive, and just being the youngest member of the Canadian National Team by itself puts you in elite territory. I am also impressed by comments from the Canadian coach and her high school coach, who while probably biased, when asked how good she could be, said something like "One of the greats". He then clarified he didn't just mean from Canada, he meant everywhere.

There is a tremendous amount of Nika videos on youtube and I encourage every interested fan to check them out. If you do I am pretty sure you will want to find minutes for her. You will see a very special passing ability, and I have never seen a player with more highlights of stealing a player's dribble and turning it into a layup at the other end. In my opinion passing, defense, and rebounding at least for a point guard are givens. In her respective leagues she usually leads in assists, is among the top few in steals, and rebounds at a pace more like a SF.

Unless Geno decides to go small with Paige, CWill, Evina, AMak in together or one of them has an off year, it will be very hard for Nika to break in during big games. Above are 4 potential All-Americans. OFC not all will be A/A in one year. If you aren't going to break in during big games unless something unusual happens, then Geno won't give those significant minutes. These kids are 18-21 years old. They aren't going to "wear down" playing 30 minutes at the pg, sg, and sf spots. And at least one of them might warrant playing 35+ minutes because she is so great and that she doesn't wear down much in 35+.

Frankly, on the videos I see from Nika, I can't tell how good she is. Nor can I tell how good Edwards is but knowing she is top 20 in HG and knowing she played for Nat'l Team and watching enough of the videos I can see she can compete with her size, skill and athleticism. She seems like at least a backup PF and can play sparingly at center vs the elite teams. But it still is a guess.

I'm excited to read about the freshmen and would love to hear more about the non-frosh too. As far as Nika-- she has to be able to shoot - otherwise she makes the game tougher not only for herself but when she is going against elite teams she'll make it harder on her teammates. OFC if for example AMak is shooting horribly or UCONN has to play small - then from what I've seen - she seems like even though as a frosh she can play well enough to be decent. But at UCONN the idea isn't to be "just decent." -- Unless ofc she is also a defensive terror. -- Which she might very well be. Then all bets are off. She could be terrific. But imo that can't be assumed. We'd have to see that great D play out.

Reaction Score
Early on I don't think the starting lineup will be as important as the player combos that break games open or do the most damage. The players 6' and under (CW, EW, PB, NM & MM) will have a lot of interchangeability. At times they will play 1 & 2, other times 1, 2 & 3, and certain times 1, 2, 3, & 4. With four of them on the floor at the same time the combo of speed, quickness, passing, shooting and penetration could change a game in a hurry. If they work well in transition they will cause big headaches.

ONO, AM & AE will interchange at 4 & 5. Probably will not see three of them on the floor at the same time very often.

AG is the sixth person (and my favorite). She can play 2, 3 or 4. Every opposing coach knows she's coming off the bench and they will have to figure her out. If her offense improves just 10-20% over last season watch out. If MM is the same quick, disruptive players as AG, I could see both coming in together (maybe not early on, but later in the season). Geno has a huge weapon with AG on the bench. Plugging her in at the right time will be important.

AE will be the first freshman to start. PB won't start until mid year, but will get serious minutes right away. if PB does start right away good for, my bad.

Too many initials.

But there is no way AMak is a backup center vs Griffin. Griffin is a far superior rebounder on the inside to compete defensively vs the centers in addition to on offense she belongs more on the inside. While AMak's best offensive attributes are perimeter related.

Reaction Score
Don't know who will start, but this year we have the personnel to run UCLA's vaunted 2-2-1 zone press with Griff&Mir on top, Edwards&Anna back-row-interceptors and Liv protecting the rim. Besides steals&traps, the rebounding would be outta-this-world, eh?
Love to see this quintet get a start and put on a crazy chaotic five minutes or so!

Reaction Score
thanks for the insight... Anna, at 6'2, with that 3 point shot, is probably a more viable option to start over Griffin; however, I can see Griffin breaking that starting line up... She plays with an energy that the team feeds off of... She's our swiss army knife....
Well chosen metaphor for Griffin - "our swiss army knife" ... love it! perfect!

Reaction Score
More interested in who starts at end of year, not beginning. Geno typically favors returning players in the first few games. Just as Anna took over a starting spot as the year went on and excelled, the team that leads us into the playoffs has the most affect on how the coming year is rated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Where’s Evina. She will start because of her experience and leadership. Geno loves her
I'm not sure Evina will be "fully" healthy or sharp enough to start. The priority for this team will be establishing Paige as THE PG for the next 4 years. Geno had a similar dilemma (establishing PG of the future) when Crystal what a sophomore and chose to start Crystal over Azura. I'm also speculating that Evina will only be around for only 1 year where as my 5 proposed starters would have at least 2 full seasons to jell.
I also think leadership is important & that Evina can't provide it. I just think this team MUST be lead by Christyn and backed up by ONO and Evina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Evina will be "fully" healthy or sharp enough to start. The priority for this team will be establishing Paige as THE PG for the next 4 years. Geno had a similar dilemma (establishing PG of the future) when Crystal what a sophomore and chose to start Crystal over Azura. I'm also speculating that Evina will only be around for only 1 year where as my 5 proposed starters would have at least 2 full seasons to jell.
I also think leadership is important & that Evina can't provide it. I just think this team MUST be lead by Christyn and backed up by ONO and Evina.

If Evina is not good enough to start and be in every sense an All American level player, she will not leave in 1 year. Her resume needs to be strong for the WNBA.

From a personality perspective, I think Evina is best suited for Leadership if she can back it upon the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Evina is not good enough to start and be in every sense an All American level player, she will not leave in 1 year. Her resume needs to be strong for the WNBA.
From a personality perspective, I think Evina is best suited for Leadership if she can back it upon the court.
I'd have to disagree with most of that. 2021 is a very weak draft class I believe Charli Collier Natasha Mack & Rennia Davis are projected to be among the top 3 picks. Even an unhealthy Evina could be among the top 6 picks in the draft. Herbert Harrigan was the 6th pick in the draft last year and she didn't have anything close to an AA season and was picked ahead of two players (Harris and Walker) that did have an AA season.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I would like to see Collier stay at Texas and get 2 full years under Vic and Harris. It will hopefully compensate for the 2 Karen Aston years.
That being what it is with such as weak draft class i could see several juniors jumping if available.
This draft is also littered with smaller PGs such as Dana Evans and Aari McDonald.

Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree with most of that. 2021 is a very weak draft class I believe Charli Collier Natasha Mack & Rennia Davis are projected to be among the top 3 picks. Even an unhealthy Evina could be among the top 6 picks in the draft. Herbert Harrigan was the 6th pick in the draft last year and she didn't have anything close to an AA season and was picked ahead of two players (Harris and Walker) that did have an AA season.
I have not been following this draft class in detail but amazed if it is so weak that Collier is in top 3 of draft. I used to have the Texas Channel and saw many of Charli's games. Good, solid All Big 12 player but don't consider her one of top 20 in US. Will have to take a deeper dive into how many top players are seniors or able to commit to draft.

Reaction Score
I have two words. Caroline Doty. After her injuries, she was never 100% but still started every game over Hartley. Doty would come out, establish the offense, the tone, and let Bria watch to get a feel. Then about 5 minutes in, Bria came in and played a lot pf minutes. Evina could end up playing that role.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom