Starting 5 in 2017-18? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 in 2017-18?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any team that harbors dreams of upending the UConn consecutive NC applecart had better get its act together and do the deed this year, because next year's Husky squad is going to be breathtakingly good...scary good if, as we believe, Megan Walker turns out to be all that is currently advertised.

Except via graduation (Saniya), no current starter is coming out of that role next year (why would they?), and I agree that the 5th starter will be either Azura or Crystal. For two reasons, I'm personally betting on the latter:

1. Given the general level of Boneyard basketball sophistication, I'm surprised at the frequently articulated impatience with Crystal's development. She's learning the most difficult position on the floor, and the inevitable incidence of Freshman mistakes that we've witnessed are, alas, to be expected. But she "sees" the court in ways that only the rarest of Freshman can, and her ability to get the transition game going is sensational for one so young. She is headed for greatness, yes, even Moriah-type greatness, and while that may only be evident in flashes right now, the ultimate direction is not even remotely in doubt.

2. Azura is going to be a powerful contributor to this team, and probably one of the two or three leading scorers. But there is nothing Geno likes better than starting games up-tempo, running opponents ragged and shaking their confidence in the early going. This is where Crystal's emerging game will shine most brightly. Imagine how demoralizing it will be for teams, blitzed by an early onslaught of speed and athleticism, to see a 6'6" talent like Azura check in about five minutes into the action. She will, no doubt, be great, but the early pace will serve to truly set the table for her...and make her even better.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Reaction Score
I think the team plays best with Crystal at point and Gabby coming off the bench. Gabby may feel a little hurt at first, but that team, with Gabby at 6 and Megan at 7 is simply impossibly, immortally good. For years, a cigar-smoking coach used to say the same to this guy, and it turned out pretty well. View attachment 18409

Who would guard the center on the other team in this situation ? If Z or Collier is expected to guard the other teams center it might not work out so well. Z is a inside outside scoring machine, but I can't remember the last time she was asked to guard a center, shes had the luxury of being a 4/3 since she's been at Duke playing the likes of Williams, Henson, and Chidom all of who would normally guard the other teams 5.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Who would guard the center on the other team in this situation ? If Z or Collier is expected to guard the other teams center it might not work out so well. Z is a inside outside scoring machine, but I can't remember the last time she was asked to guard a center, shes had the luxury of being a 4/3 since she's been at Duke playing the likes of Williams, Henson, and Chidom all of who would normally guard the other teams 5.

I agree with Crystal Dangerfield and Z in the starting lineup with Gabby coming in off the bench to produce havoc.

Playing for UConn, you learn how to play team and positional defense. Z would not be alone on an island but would get strategic help as needed. I can definitely see her being effective fronting or 3/4 positioning centers and using her speed much like Breanna did.

Bottom line, for her personal / future development, she needs to learn how to defend in the post since she may be required to do it at the WNBA level and future NPOY candidates can do it all.

Reaction Score
In the 1960's the Boston Celtics had this type of "problem". More outstanding players than starting positions. In that situation for at least a few years, John Havlicek came off the bench and played substantial minutes. I would expect Stevens to start and either Williams or Dangerfield come off the bench bringing in energy, speed, defense and scoring off the bench creating an even bigger mismatch of what would already be a mismatch for the opposing team.

Reaction Score
If Crystal Dangerfield doesn't start next year, who plays point guard, or are we just not gonna have one once Saniya graduates?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Crystal Dangerfield doesn't start next year, who plays point guard, or are we just not gonna have one once Saniya graduates?
Saniya is not playing PG this year, Kia Nurse is orchestrating the offense.

Reaction Score
I think Z gets the nod with the returning "core four". Also, Geno will figure out the rotation and yes, the minutes will be spread pretty evenly. He figured it out in 2000-2001, he will figure it out next year.

Reaction Score
I think Z gets the nod with the returning "core four". Also, Geno will figure out the rotation and yes, the minutes will be spread pretty evenly. He figured it out in 2000-2001, he will figure it out next year.
But isn't "figuring it out" the reason we Boneyarders get paid the big bucks? :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the team plays best with Crystal at point and Gabby coming off the bench. Gabby may feel a little hurt at first, but that team, with Gabby at 6 and Megan at 7 is simply impossibly, immortally good. For years, a cigar-smoking coach used to say the same to this guy, and it turned out pretty well. View attachment 18409
@bags27 I am very disappointed that you a native Philadelphia, with Dr. Jack in your avatar would choose a Celtic as the epitome of a 6th man instead of a Sixer ( Bobby Jones) who was so good in that role the he prompted the NBA to award an annual trophy for this position. An award which has been copied by man NCAA conferences. Perhaps you have been in New England too long-when you coming home?

Reaction Score
Saniya is not playing PG this year, Kia Nurse is orchestrating the offense.
Saniya usually is the one bringing the ball up the court, while Kia takes more shots and is often seen ahead of the ball waiting to receive a pass. Based on that I'd assume that Saniya took Mo's spot as PG and not Kia.

Reaction Score
@bags27 I am very disappointed that you a native Philadelphia, with Dr. Jack in your avatar would choose a Celtic as the epitome of a 6th man instead of a Sixer ( Bobby Jones) who was so good in that role the he prompted the NBA to award an annual trophy for this position. An award which has been copied by man NCAA conferences. Perhaps you have been in New England too long-when you coming home?
You're (as usual) completely right. I need to get back to my roots!
How to Do a Philadelphia Accent | Howcast

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Couple of things ...
Butler I am pretty sure graduates this year. There is a possibility that she chooses to move on with her life beyond basketball, or that she could choose to start graduate school anywhere in the country on scholarship with her last year of eligibility. Not speculating that she will, just that she will have that option should she choose to exercise it.

Geno, as is often stated on this board bases playing time and starting roles on practice and team needs and next year's team is not this year's team. No one next year 'owns' a starting role or any minutes of playing time, prior to the start of practice in fall 2017. Nor will they 'own' anything based on the starting lineup and minutes played in exhibition games or the first game of the season.

Next year's team would appear to have six players with the inside track on starting positions early in the season as listed above:
Crystal Dangerfield, Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, and Azura.

The fact that Uconn this year is playing hard to cover an obvious weakness in height suggest that Stevens might be preferred to either Gabby or Napheesa in a starting role.

The fact that Geno prizes guard play in his system suggests replacing Chong in the starting lineup next year with another guard is more likely than replacing her with a forward or center. Yes Lou can play some guard but it is not her best position, and yes Kia can function as a PG, but it is not her best position either. Replacing Chong with Stevens, means you are compromising the quality of play for two other starters, while weakening the quality of guard play on the team which in turn is likely to weaken everyone else's play.

Retaining the starting four with Dangerfield replacing Chong creates the same issue facing this years team - playing an undersized lineup against teams with much more size and depending on team speed and disguise to win the day. Geno has no real choice this year as the talent gap between his starting forwards and his bench is too great. Next year he will have more options with no apparent talent gap - Stevens should be that good.

It seems to me that a rotation of Stevens/Camara/Natalie/Napheesa/Gabby at defensive center, Napheesa/Gabby/Lou/Megan/Kyla at forward/wing, Kia/Lexi/AEH/Mikayla/Lou at 2guard/wing, and Crystal/Molly/Mikayla/Kia at PG is how the roster shakes out. If everyone is performing at peak in practice, the starting lineup will be Stevens, Collier, Samuelson, Nurse, Dangerfield. And that early in the season, those five and Williams will all be averaging 20+ minutes per game. Camara, Walker, Butler, Gordon, AEH, Coombs, Bent, and Irwin will be splitting the rest, with the first three likely to get 10+ minutes each.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Saniya usually is the one bringing the ball up the court, while Kia takes more shots and is often seen ahead of the ball waiting to receive a pass. Based on that I'd assume that Saniya took Mo's spot as PG and not Kia.
Not exactly. Keep in mind that I obsessively chart every game. In half court sets (excludes transition) in closely contested games Kia is the one initiating the offense and telling everyone where they have to be on the floor. More significantly off of UCONN defensive stops and rebounds the post players (Gabby, Natalie, Napheesa) first look is for Kia.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

I agree that having Crystal start instead of Gabby makes some sense in that Crystal, unlike Kia, is a true point guard and that under that scenario the rest of the starters in that lineup fit pretty well, Kia at the 2, KLS at the 3, Collier at the 4, and Stevens at the 4.5.

I`m betting, though, that it is Gabby in the starting lineup, and I`ll take my chances with Nurse, Williams, KLS, Collier and Stevens. That team will press from the opening tip and run roughshod over pretty much everybody. If there is a rare instance when the offense is bogging down early, Crystal can come in and jumpstart things.

By the way Bags, you had it right with Havlicek in the first instance! Case in point, and sorry to rub salt in old wounds, Philly fans, but........

havlicek-stole-the-ball-560x350.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree 100% with the folks who say that the starters will be

Crystal (need a true PG)
Kia (one of the toughest players to ever suit up)
KLS (showing she's a true NPOY contender and is only a sophomore)
Gabby (given the team is short in stature, her athleticism is otherworldly)
Napheesa (one of the most dramatic sophomore leaps in UCONN history - partly made more dramatic because of her injury her freshman year)

I have followed UCONN for many years - since i was in college in the early 80's. I've followed our team as rabidly as most (not all) fans. There is ZERO chance Geno takes a transfer player, who has never played a game for us in the past, and starts her ahead of senior Gabby, who has worked her ASS off playing positions not natural to her and becoming a true AA caliber player. ZERO.

Azura may end up being just as good as Stewie. She may get more minutes than some of the starters, but there is no way Geno does that to Gabby. You EARN PT at UCONN by being a tremendous teammate, giving 100% effort every day in practice, AND playing really well. Gabby has earned that respect from the coach, and also from the fans. Just my $.02...

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
My 2 cents.

1. Nat could start for 75% of the teams in the country right now. [mod edit]

2. From the tape I have watched, Walker is the only frosh to break into next year's top 8. Walker is really good. The rest are victims of being on a loaded team.

3. I don't think Geno would vary the starters based on the competition. He talks about chemistry all the time. I think he names 5 and only changes it because of injury or poor play.

4. Strong cases can be made for the already discussed six. I just can't see bringing a 6'6, potential POY candidate off the bench. Geno might only have Azura for one year. By redshirting and practicing every day, she has had a chance to learn the system, get healthy and stronger and develop better practice habits if they were in fact lacking. She is earning her playing time now.

5. By default, Crystal probably is first off the bench. Weirdly, and I am alone here, I would bring Kia off the bench and start Lou at 2 but only if Lou can demonstrate an ability to guard a perimeter player.

6. I have learned that redshirting doesn't happen in this program. Next year is the perfect time to start. There are four or five kids on next years' roster that aren't going to see much time.

7. Most think that what he is doing this year with a thin bench is tough. I think being loaded with a bunch of kids on the bench who think they deserve time is tougher. I think he is comfortable rotating 8. Not much more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Speaking offense only with just 1 comment with Gabby on D: I think next year Geno is going to do what Geno normally does and that is challenge players to be more versatile than they are accustomed. As a result, I think one player in particular he will look at , is Gabby to not be stuck just playing high post or low post. She can hit mid-range shots now. Not saying she has to be a 3pt shooter but she can shoot the ball from 2pt range while we have two super shooters in Nurse and Lou. It's not like I think Geno would pin Gabby down to a guard - but defensively next year have her guard the quick guards more often.

I expect that's what he'll do. From play to play he'll have his 3 of AZ, NC and Gabby alternating playing the paint and going outside while at times have Lou is the high post. AZ and Collier are threats as well to stroke outside shots and I don't believe he is going to pin both in the post all game either. He'll challenge them.

I believe Nurse is a terrific player and is settled now. I don't think Chong is a pg- I think the pg "is by committee." Often when Danger is in the game with the regulars I see she might bring the ball up and sometimes when she does she makes one pass to Nurse his is 30 feet outside and then they seem to "reset" the offense. Next year I think the starters will be - we can call them - Nurse (guard. Not pg) Lu/gabby/Collier/AZ (wings that also play post but Lou won't play center post. She can play some high post.). So we'll have imo 1 guard and 4 other players that can play like wings. Super versatility.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Speaking offense only with just 1 comment with Gabby on D: I think next year Geno is going to do what Geno normally does and that is challenge players to be more versatile than they are accustomed. As a result, I think one player in particular he will look at , is Gabby to not be stuck just playing high post or low post. She can hit mid-range shots now. Not saying she has to be a 3pt shooter but she can shoot the ball from 2pt range while we have two super shooters in Nurse and Lou. It's not like I think Geno would pin Gabby down to a guard - but defensively next year have her guard the quick guards more often.

I expect that's what he'll do. From play to play he'll have his 3 of AZ, NC and Gabby alternating playing the paint and going outside while at times have Lou is the high post. AZ and Collier are threats as well to stroke outside shots and I don't believe he is going to pin both in the post all game either. He'll challenge them.

I believe Nurse is a terrific player and is settled now. I don't think Chong is a pg- I think the pg "is by committee." Often when Danger is in the game with the regulars I see she might bring the ball up and sometimes when she does she makes one pass to Nurse his is 30 feet outside and then they seem to "reset" the offense. Next year I think the starters will be - we can call them - Nurse (guard. Not pg) Lu/gabby/Collier/AZ (wings that also play post but Lou won't play center post. She can play some high post.). So we'll have imo 1 guard and 4 other players that can play like wings. Super versatility.
At the end of this year during the individual meetings, Gabby will be challenged to expand her range with the specific comment that if she wants a successful professional career and to be drafted in the first round she will need to prove to the WNBA management that she can consistently score from eighteen and occasionally threaten from 3. It is never just about Uconn, but about getting the maximum out of your talent. Senior year Maya was working on option b, c and d, for her pro career where defenders and scouting would be taking away her 'option a' scoring moves. And a similar player to Gabby - Kalana Greene was working on her extended range.

BTW - anyone know what KG is doing now? Her not playing in the W this past years sort of passed me by. She like Tiffany Hayes were 'sneak recruits' for Uconn - no word they were being actively recruited before they committed and both pretty special ladies!

Reaction Score
Couple of things ...
Butler I am pretty sure graduates this year. There is a possibility that she chooses to move on with her life beyond basketball, or that she could choose to start graduate school anywhere in the country on scholarship with her last year of eligibility. Not speculating that she will, just that she will have that option should she choose to exercise it.

Geno, as is often stated on this board bases playing time and starting roles on practice and team needs and next year's team is not this year's team. No one next year 'owns' a starting role or any minutes of playing time, prior to the start of practice in fall 2017. Nor will they 'own' anything based on the starting lineup and minutes played in exhibition games or the first game of the season.

Next year's team would appear to have six players with the inside track on starting positions early in the season as listed above:
Crystal Dangerfield, Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, and Azura.

The fact that Uconn this year is playing hard to cover an obvious weakness in height suggest that Stevens might be preferred to either Gabby or Napheesa in a starting role.

The fact that Geno prizes guard play in his system suggests replacing Chong in the starting lineup next year with another guard is more likely than replacing her with a forward or center. Yes Lou can play some guard but it is not her best position, and yes Kia can function as a PG, but it is not her best position either. Replacing Chong with Stevens, means you are compromising the quality of play for two other starters, while weakening the quality of guard play on the team which in turn is likely to weaken everyone else's play.

Retaining the starting four with Dangerfield replacing Chong creates the same issue facing this years team - playing an undersized lineup against teams with much more size and depending on team speed and disguise to win the day. Geno has no real choice this year as the talent gap between his starting forwards and his bench is too great. Next year he will have more options with no apparent talent gap - Stevens should be that good.

It seems to me that a rotation of Stevens/Camara/Natalie/Napheesa/Gabby at defensive center, Napheesa/Gabby/Lou/Megan/Kyla at forward/wing, Kia/Lexi/AEH/Mikayla/Lou at 2guard/wing, and Crystal/Molly/Mikayla/Kia at PG is how the roster shakes out. If everyone is performing at peak in practice, the starting lineup will be Stevens, Collier, Samuelson, Nurse, Dangerfield. And that early in the season, those five and Williams will all be averaging 20+ minutes per game. Camara, Walker, Butler, Gordon, AEH, Coombs, Bent, and Irwin will be splitting the rest, with the first three likely to get 10+ minutes each.

That's not accurate at all UConn always has a core set of starters for four years regardless of who's coming in or not they usually start from the bench... for the exception of an injured starter then of course he has to make some adjustments to the starting line up. He starts players that can he can fully trust in a game and that is going to impact the game and win games for us. I'm pretty sure he won't start someone who's going to frustrate him or who's going make lots of mistakes during games and regardless of talent he usually goes for the more experienced players and that's why Chong a senior and not Dangerfield has a starting role even though CD is a very talented player. Freshmen year is a learning curve for the newcomers and they need time to adjust to the college game and Geno's system which is expected that's why he leans more on the upperclassmen to lead the way as the rookies follow until it's they're time to seek starting roles as they get better and other players graduate and move on... if I know one thing about Geno is that he doesn't like be uncertain about his teams especially in the beginning of a season he is always prepared and knows what directions he wants to go his teams year in and year out!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I know this is quite premature, but who starts next year for UCONN? The 7 who could start IMO are:
Dangerfield
Nurse
Williams
Collier
Stevens
KLS
Walker

Walker looks to be the least likely to start just knowing Geno's past use of freshmen (Maya/Stewart/DT all came off the bench), but she could easily be starter by the end of the year.

Dangerfield emerges as the obvious candidate to run the point if she improves, which most expect she will.

Nurse won't come off the bench. Neither will this year's big 3. And I really don't see Stevens coming off the bench considering she might be the best player on the team next year....so, what gives?

Which two do you expect will come off the bench next season?

Reaction Score
Dangerfield will start at the point before THIS year is over - she is a great passer, a solid defender and has far more speed than Chong.
Nurse will play shooting guard - she is a combo guard like DT - but if she doesn't have to run the point she is far more dangerous.
Samuelson will play the wing - she might actually have a quicker release than Taurasi
Williams will play the four - a tremendous passer and defender
Collier the post - just great basketball sense - scores, defends
BUT - Geno will develop a big lineup to move to if the first string isn't working or is in foul trouble especially against "BIG" teams like Baylor, Maryland, Florida State etc. Walker and Stevens will have to prove themselves BOTH in practice and in limited backup minutes early next season. If they are as good as the hype says they are - you could see a team like the DT, Swin, Bird, T. Williams, A. jones, Shea and Svet (berfore the last two got hurt). Essentially interchangeable - and probably the BEST women's team ever.... the others will play - the AAC is not that strong.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield will start at the point before THIS year is over - she is a great passer, a solid defender and has far more speed than Chong.
Nurse will play shooting guard - she is a combo guard like DT - but if she doesn't have to run the point she is far more dangerous.
Samuelson will play the wing - she might actually have a quicker release than Taurasi
Williams will play the four - a tremendous passer and defender
Collier the post - just great basketball sense - scores, defends
BUT - Geno will develop a big lineup to move to if the first string isn't working or is in foul trouble especially against "BIG" teams like Baylor, Maryland, Florida State etc. Walker and Stevens will have to prove themselves BOTH in practice and in limited backup minutes early next season. If they are as good as the hype says they are - you could see a team like the DT, Swin, Bird, T. Williams, A. jones, Shea and Svet (berfore the last two got hurt). Essentially interchangeable - and probably the BEST women's team ever.... the others will play - the AAC is not that strong.

There is zero chance that Stevens is not starting next year. You just don't have a NPOY candidate coming off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom