Starting 5 in 2017-18? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 in 2017-18?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone that there is no easy solution and that, theoretically, the easiest is to have Crystal come off the bench. Not only is AZ a great player, but we really do need the height.

However, say what you will about Lou playing the 2 and Kia playing the point, it's not natural and stresses us against the press. We have to imagine and believe that Crystal will make the sophomore leap, and play pretty regularly like she did against Baylor (not necessarily making all her shots, but her floor play). If so, there's absolutely no way she doesn't start.

So who doesn't start? I dunno, but it ain't Crystal or Kia. Everyone else is somewhat interchangeable.

Reaction Score
6'6 but listed as a Guard/Forward and not a center, Stevens could very well be used to break a press, I envision her much more like Elena Delle Donn/ Dwana Bonner then Stewie or Candace Parker.

Not sure if the team as been calling her Stewie like or Stewie light.

Reaction Score
So what happens to Kyla, Molly, AEH, Lexi, Coombs, and Butler if the rotation is only going to be 7 or 8?

No way will the roster be 14 next season. There will either be a transfer, an injury redshirt or a pure redshirt of one of the Freshmen. A roster of 13 is possible with a rotation of eight and five, but there is almost no possibility that Geno will use nine players on a regular basis. Eight leaves six; that's one too many to justify keeping on the bench until the fourth quarter.

P.S. Hard to believe that someone actually thinks Gabby will come off the bench next year!

Reaction Score
I agree with everyone that there is no easy solution and that, theoretically, the easiest is to have Crystal come off the bench. Not only is AZ a great player, but we really do need the height.

However, say what you will about Lou playing the 2 and Kia playing the point, it's not natural and stresses us against the press. We have to imagine and believe that Crystal will make the sophomore leap, and play pretty regularly like she did against Baylor (not necessarily making all her shots, but her floor play). If so, there's absolutely no way she doesn't start.

So who doesn't start? I dunno, but it ain't Crystal or Kia. Everyone else is somewhat interchangeable.

Stresses against the press?! In what decade was a team able to successfully press against UConn. This team knows how to pass the ball, which renders any attempt at pressing totally moot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
6'6 but listed as a Guard/Forward and not a center, Stevens could very well be used to break a press, I envision her much more like Elena Delle Donn/ Dwana Bonner then Stewie or Candace Parker.

Not sure if the team as been calling her Stewie like or Stewie light.
The team calls her Z

Reaction Score
I hope Geno can figure a way of how to give meaningful minutes to 14 players...

Impossible to know how this will shake out until all the newbies get into the gym next fall...........it's clearly an issue but it's a much more pleasant issue then having too few players like this season...........he will have amazing flexibility with a 6'2" power forward that he can insert against Baylor or USC and speed and athleticism from Crystal, MW and MC............. I can't imagine any of the Big 4 not starting next year and Stevens is way too good to come off the bench as far as I'm concerned............if these players are as good as advertised then Geno may have to be a bit more flexible and stretch his rotation to at least 10 players............

Reaction Score
These 7 will rotate as the games requires different skill sets:
Nurse
Crystal Dangerfield
KLS
Gabby
Collier
Stevens
Camara

Reaction Score
I guess it's fun to pretend to be a coach, and maybe there will be an overabundance of talent, but freshman rarely contribute much, particularly early in a season. And who knows what injuries may appear between now and then, or whether the new guys can handle the academics, or who may get frustrated that they aren't playing enough and decide to transfer, or get homesick and bail, etc, etc. This would be an interesting discussion in September maybe, but now?

Other than one game, Dangerfield has shown little so far. I think she's probably typical of most talented freshmen in that she has to learn and adapt a lot to make the successful transition to college ball, particularly the way UConn plays. I'm sure she'll be fine in time, but coming in she was all but "anointed" as the next great UConn point guard. Maybe, but she needs time. Virtually all freshmen do, including the highly rated group entering this coming summer. About the only thing you can be sure of is that Geno & Co will take whatever he's got to work with and meld it into a very, very good team by NCAA time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Starting next year of course will be Williams, Samuelson, Collier, Nurse & Stevens! Stevens is way to talented to be on the bench and plus she already is a proven talented college player and won't have much time in a UConn uniform. I'm pretty sure Geno doesn't have to spend to much time on her!

Reserves:
Camara
Dangerfield
Walker
Coombs
Gordon
Espinoza-Hunter
Butler

Dangerfield should be poised by next year for sure! But from what I've seen so far Butler has made some progress with her career at UConn, but nothing really to brag about! The incoming freshmen are very talented starting with Walker and of course the amazing talented duo transfers of Stevens and Camara. They will outshine Butler along with Irwin and Bent. These new players can play multiple positions and or will learn when they play at UConn! And with Stevens and Camara already practicing with the team this year they are already a step ahead of the competition...[mod edit]. Let's just say next year Geno is going to have one heck of a team I'm talking about one warrior after another and can't wait to see how it all goes down! Go UConn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The 5th starter can be narrowed down to between Crystal Dangerfield and Z. (Too many hurdles for a freshman)
If I had to make a guess today, it would be Z. However, if Crystal Dangerfield comes on strong and is a major factor for an undefeated National Champion, I don't see how you can not start her next season.
In any case, from a fan's stanpoint, it's a wonderful problem to have.

Reaction Score
Starting next year of course will be Williams, Samuelson, Collier, Nurse & Stevens! Stevens is way to talented to be on the bench and plus she already is a proven talented college player and won't have much time in a UConn uniform. I'm pretty sure Geno doesn't have to spend to much time on her!
Go UConn!

Agreed that Stevens will be a starter but I actually think that Geno will be working with her as much or more as anybody on the team.............having the ability to play all over the court has it's advantages but also it's responsibilities............ Geno will be focused on her like a laser to make sure that she is totally in sync with the other starters at both ends of the floor

Reaction Score
As with most of what was said already on this thread, I believe the starting five next is the same as this year but substitute the graduating Chong for the transfer Steven's.

In no way you put a talent like Gabby, especially after what she has shown the nation of her capabilities, on the bench to start a game. She can truly take over a game (like the ND game) or disrupt others (pick a game).

Megan and Crystal will be the first to come of the bench (imo). Geno's will find time for his players.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Doubt that Geno will bump any of the fantastic four out of the starting lineup.

I have heard comments about how it doesn`t really matter, look at total minutes, more important who finishes than who starts, yada, yada, yada. Many of you have played different sports at different levels - were you ever on a team where starting didn`t matter?

Plus in the context of Saniya, Geno said a starter shouldn`t lose her starting position due to injury. So, I`m inferring he thinks starting means something.

The fifth starter next year will be Stevens. From what I can glean, she may be the best player in WCBB.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Guard: Nurse
Guard: Lou
Center: Williams
Fowrad:Collier
Foward: Stevens
With a dangerous 6th man. Walker,Camara, and Gordon in the top half of the rotation.

Similar to this year's team who doesn't have a true point guard I think next years team can be ran with a combo of Williams, Lou and Nurse. Some people see Williams moving to the bench, but she's the teams best post defender. Stevens had a lot of success at Duke being asked to play more of a wing vs a true 5.

That's exactly the way I see it, and for the same reasons. Geno will only have to replace 1 starter next year. Either Stevens or Dangerfield will be chosen. Others will get they're share of playing time, but I'm pretty sure sure these 5 will start.

Next year, Geno will need the height and the 19 ppl Stevens will bring, more than the guard play that Crystal will. No doubt Crystal will start her junior and senior year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No way will the roster be 14 next season. There will either be a transfer, an injury redshirt or a pure redshirt of one of the Freshmen. A roster of 13 is possible with a rotation of eight and five, but there is almost no possibility that Geno will use nine players on a regular basis. Eight leaves six; that's one too many to justify keeping on the bench until the fourth quarter.

P.S. Hard to believe that someone actually thinks Gabby will come off the bench next year!
Why is it so hard to believe?

Reaction Score
It is almost impossible for me to believe. While Gabby is not the best scorer on the team, I believe she may well be the most valuable. I just cannot see how you take a player who contributes all those assists and rebounds and who has so much scoring upside and make her a reserve at this point in her career. If she were a sophomore, maybe, but as a valuable member of this year's Core Four, and an almost telepathic partner with Napheesa on so many plays, I'm having a hard time seeing her as the sixth player.

However, I think it's obvious that she and the others from this team will get fewer minutes next year, because there are other players who can make real contributions and they need playing time as well.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Why is it so hard to believe?

Subjectively I find it hard to believe, and objectively , has it ever happened ? If so, then very few times I would imagine (a regular starter in season n not starting in season n+1).

The adjustment GA would make, IMO, would not be to remove someone from the starting lineup but to insert another player at an earlier-than-normal point in the game as needed. IIRC, he did this with Doty, but I don't recall the other players involved. So she might be a bad example :) Anyway, Doty was physically not the same player toward the end but still did not lose her starting job for the most part (again, IIRC). I think she was subbed out fairly early in many games and had limited minutes.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Subjectively I find it hard to believe, and objectively , has it ever happened ? If so, then very few times I would imagine (a regular starter in season n not starting in season n+1).

The adjustment GA would make, IMO, would not be to remove someone from the starting lineup but to insert another player at an earlier-than-normal point in the game as needed. IIRC, he did this with Doty, but I don't recall the other players involved. So she might be a bad example :) Anyway, Doty was physically not the same player toward the end but still did not lose her starting job for the most part (again, IIRC). I think she was subbed out fairly early in many games and had limited minutes.
Allow me to clarify my question:

Boreifs made this comment above:

"P.S. Hard to believe that someone actually thinks Gabby will come off the bench next year!" (emphasis added)

My intent was to elicit from him why he thinks it's hard to believe someone might actually think that. Seems to me to be a reasonable thing to think. Whether it's correct or not, or turns out to be correct, is a different matter.

A cynical interpretation might be that he is saying anyone who takes a view other than his (and others) is an ignorant fool or some such. I trust that's not what he's implying, because it seems like a scenario one could envision playing out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the team plays best with Crystal at point and Gabby coming off the bench. Gabby may feel a little hurt at first, but that team, with Gabby at 6 and Megan at 7 is simply impossibly, immortally good. For years, a cigar-smoking coach used to say the same to this guy, and it turned out pretty well.
havliceck_bio_200_300.jpeg

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think the team plays best with Crystal at point and Gabby coming off the bench. Gabby may feel a little hurt at first, but that team, with Gabby at 6 and Megan at 7 is simply impossibly, immortally good. For years, a cigar-smoking coach used to say the same to this guy, and it turned out pretty well. View attachment 18409
You and I think the same here. And let's not forget Billy Cunningham, an effective scorer coming off the bench for the 76ers long about '67 or so.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The starting 5 will be:
Kia
Gabby
Napheesa
Lou
Crystal

With the roster UConn will have next year, Geno could do what DePaul did last year. That would be a win,
win situation. The starters (except maybe Kia) will get rest, and all the players are getting playing time.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Gabby
Napheesa
Lou
Crystal

With the roster UConn will have next year, Geno could do what DePaul did last year. That would be a win,
win situation. The starters (except maybe Kia) will get rest, and all the players are getting playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom