Starters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starters

Reaction Score
As much as I love Aubrey's game and energy, Paige - in the videos I have seen - always seems to be under control, sees the court incredibly well and distributes that ball decisively. Obviously, she's eventually going to start, perhaps why not then straight out of the chute...?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
F0FA1644-3DA7-47AE-A60E-BB796274E766.jpeg

Did Geno get to make the final edits?

“No. 1 recruit, has a lot of Instagram followers”

I’m dying laughing. :D

Reaction Score
With this line up, it looks like Evina becomes the 4. She is size wise a carbon copy of Walker and she was actually a good rebounder at TN even as the PG.

Reaction Score
With this line up, it looks like Evina becomes the 4. She is size wise a carbon copy of Walker and she was actually a good rebounder at TN even as the PG.
We’ll see, but I think Paige and Evina will run more of a double point guard attack, with Williams at the 3, Anna as a stretch 4 and Liv at the 5.

Reaction Score
We shall see but I think Evina will be more point forward and start developing what her professional position will be since I personally don't see her having enough PG skill for the wnba.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Aubrey didn't know the offense all season. Couldn't hit a shot from 8 feet. Had a terrible handle and not that good at passing the ball. She was a good defender and rebounder on both the off. and def. boards but if she didn't improve on offense then I don't see her starting. They would only have 4 options with her out there. I can see Evina starting for one her experience and secondly after getting loose in warm ups so she's not on the sideline getting stiff. She did average 14.9 pts. and 5.3 ast for Tennessee. I could see Geno playing Paige and Nika like he did with Bird and Walters their Freshman year. Those 2 split time until injuries took over for both of them.
Geno said Aubrey was a lot better than last season. You talk as if you don't believe Geno. Also, UConn has had outstanding teams that did not have five scorers on the floor at the same time and so have other teams. We'll find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
We’ll see, but I think Paige and Evina will run more of a double point guard attack, with Williams at the 3, Anna as a stretch 4 and Liv at the 5.
Agree. This also means more minutes for Nika, which is very good news.

Reaction Score

I have seen her very little so as a wild guess I think you and depup are right. The very little I saw - and from what I read from other posters - it seems Evina is a guard-type with good pg skills on offense. So my guess is she plays with Paige as some sort of "2 pg" guard attack.

But on defense I thought she looked very strong for a guard. It seemed she had big shoulders for her size and she is more athletic than AMak. So my wild guess here is that she guards the other team's PF.

Reaction Score
Why are some people (maybe one or two then) surprised with this starting lineup...if it actually happens on game day. Hasn't this and countless other starting 5 lineups been suggested from day one? Not everyone is going to be happy where such words as "snubbed" will be thrown out. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A basketball scout who is a rather big fan of Paige getting ready for her debut in the next three posts:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I for one am not that worried about Aubrey not starting in the first game of the season...
I was more concerned about not hearing her mentioned in the last Media Availability report.

In games that matter this season, her disruptive defense and athleticism will be invaluable especially against teams like Louisville, so whether starting or not, her minutes played will be more telling as to if she is deserving of, or will live up to her Cheryl Miller Award watch status. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welllll if Paige starts *and Im not disputing that she will after seeing this post basically confirming it* I think it's safe to say the hype is indeed real and that Geno trusts her A LOT, which obviously says a lot of good things about Paige.

I agree that this probably means more substantial playing time for Nika which also excites me. The rotations that make the most sense to me are...(not really sure where Mir fits yet)

1: Paige, Nika
2/3: Christyn, Evina, Anna
4/5: Olivia, Aubrey, Aaliyah

Obviously to start the game there won't really be a true forward on the floor (Olivia is a center, Anna is not a forward let alone a power forward and neither is Evina) but with subs I think we'll see that change.

Taking Evina out to rest a bit you might have...
Paige
Christyn
Anna
Aubrey
Olivia

Which is a bit more balanced but maybe a bit less offensively capable in the half court.

I would've liked to see Aubrey starting *for my own unimportant sentimental reasons* but there's more games to be played. Starting isn't correlated with playing time. I can't complain having a starting backcourt of Paige, Christyn, Evina, and Anna. Thats a pretty good mix or skill, athleticism, speed, passing, cutting, movement, finishing, and shooting to have in those first 4 spots to compliment Olivia. It allows Aubrey (who we know struggled to hack the quarter court offense last season) to let the game unfold in front of her before Geno lets her rip. And defers to Evina's experience, seniority, and much more polished skill set with the starting spot.

I'm so so so excited to watch tomorrow, I won't even care how the team looks, I'm just grateful I get to see them play FINALLY!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, with Geno having a flair for the dramatic, Aubrey will probably start for the Seton Hall game to wreck some more havoc. :p

Reaction Score
Like the Lineup. We are moving into more position less basketball. I think this helps the team cause you have 4 out and 1 in. A lineup with very good passing skills. Anna over Aubrey is simple. We need someone to space the floor. Williams and Westbrook are both more drivers than shooters, so with Aubrey starting teams would just pack the paint. Anna opens up the lane. Aubrey will still play a ton of minutes off the bench as the defense and rebounding will be needed.

Excited to see Paige. With Anna and Westbrook starting it helps her cause she isn't forced to be the only ball handler, which will only help her game. I think Muhl will get some minutes, but I don't see her getting significant minutes. Westbrook and Makurat won't start at point, but they will handle the ball a lot. So right now I expect to see a lot of the starters, off the bench Griffin and Edwards will get the most minutes, with Muhl and McLean getting some opportunities.

Reaction Score
Thinking about it over night, the "STARTERS" for the UMASS Lowell game really doesn't say much, as for the rest of the season. With Paige starting, it gives Geno an opportunity "To See What The Rookie" has, in a game that has ZERO PRESSURE to win (because we all know that UCONN will dominate this game). It also allows Geno to put Evina out on the court to start, given her "Leadership" skills that she obviously has (despite not ever playing a minute for UCONN). As many have said, the Starting Five for the Seton Hall Game (a conference game) may well be MUCH DIFFERENT than the starting 5 for this non-conference/relatively week opening day opponent.

Reaction Score
We shall see but I think Evina will be more point forward and start developing what her professional position will be since I personally don't see her having enough PG skill for the wnba.
What is a point forward?

Anna last year played her best as the 2. And I think her best game as a freshman actually came on the 24 second clock against the USAB National Team. Anna has a pro ready game.

Reaction Score
Very interested to see the substitution pattern.

1-- Who is 1st off the bench?
2-- What is the order between Griff, Edwards and Mir?
3-- Does this starting lineup mean Nika will get in before all 3 of Griff, Edwards, and Mir?
- Or possibly the starting lineup means nothing to Nika getting minutes- in that whenever Paige or Evina comes out the other assumes the pg position while CWill assumes the SG and AMak assumes SF?
4-- Does this lineup mean that Nika is going to be "the preferred" pg instead of Evina?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom