Start of holiday tournaments (Wed. and Thu., Nov. 27-28) | The Boneyard

Start of holiday tournaments (Wed. and Thu., Nov. 27-28)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Actually, just one of them (Puerto Rico Clásico) opens on Wednesday. Most get started Thanksgiving Day.

Almost all of the major tournaments are being streamed on FloHoops, which is a (pricey) subscription site.

Game listings are not exhaustive. All times Eastern.

Wed., Nov. 27

Puerto Rico Clásico (FloHoops):​
Charlotte vs. Boston College (12p)​
Cincinnati vs. Iowa (2:30p)​

Thu., Nov. 28

Cancún Challenge (FloHoops):​
South Dakota State vs. #21 South Florida (11a)​
Florida Gulf Coast vs. Notre Dame (1:30p)​
New Mexico vs. Missouri (4p)​
Creighton vs. #23 West Virginia (6:30p). First test for WV; Creighton has wins over South Dakota State and Nebraska.
Temple vs. North Carolina (9p)​
Paradise Jam (FloHoops):​
UT Arlington vs. #8 Louisville (1p). UTA is 4-0 and coming off a win at Kansas State.
Oklahoma State vs. #1 Oregon (3:15p). Okie State is hardly a pushover; they just demolished Rice.
Washington State vs. #2 Baylor (5:45p)​
#17 Indiana vs. #5 South Carolina (8p). Only matchup between top-25 teams for the day.
Victoria Invitational (FloHoops)​
Bowling Green vs. Green Bay (2p)​
San Francisco vs. #10 Mississippi State (4:30p)​
Houston vs. #18 Syracuse (8p)​
Cal Baptist vs. #3 Stanford (10:30p)​
Puerto Rico Clásico (FloHoops)​
Tulane vs. Boston College (2:30p)​
Junkanoo Jam (FloHoops)​
Vanderbilt vs. Rutgers (3p)​
Seton Hall vs. Georgia Tech (5:15p)​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, just one of them (Puerto Rico Clásico) opens on Wednesday. Most get started Thanksgiving Day.

Almost all of the major tournaments are being streamed on FloHoops, which is a (pricey) subscription site.

Wed., Nov. 27

Thu., Nov. 28

Creighton vs. #23 West Virginia (6:30p). First test for WV; Creighton has wins over South Dakota State and Nebraska.
Junkanoo Jam (FloHoops)​
UT Arlington vs. #8 Louisville (1p). UTA is 4-0 and coming off a win at Kansas State.
Oklahoma State vs. #1 Oregon (3:15p). Okie State is hardly a pushover; they just demolished Rice.
#17 Indiana vs. #5 South Carolina (8p). Only matchup between top-25 teams for the day.
I noticed that every team in the Paradise Jam is undefeated.

Reaction Score
In two different divisions, though.

Big showdowns will be on Saturday with Louisville-Oregon at 3 and Baylor-South Carolina at 8.

It's odd that you would create a format like that. two separate schedules. Not really a tournament.

I guess it makes sense for the tourism board though to get as many teams in as you can. I think the NCAA exemption limits how many games can be played.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's odd that you would create a format like that. two separate schedules. Not really a tournament.

I guess it makes sense for the tourism board though to get as many teams in as you can. I think the NCAA exemption limits how many games can be played.
Yeah, two separate round-robins.

I can't help but wonder if the round-robin format is easier to sell to teams because of the certainty it offers in terms of opponents and scheduling. AFAICT the Victoria Invitational is the only true tournament this week

Edit: I missed the Gulf Coast Showcase, which is also a true tournament. Also it looks like Junkanoo is two 4-team true tournaments, with the second-day pairings determined by results of the first day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow Paradise Jam is stacked this year - Louisville, South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon!

giphy.gif

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Weird, though - the Junkeroo Jam is a 2 game event, the Paradise Jam round robin a 3 game event (hence, the Round Robin).

Yes, I believe that, except for the pre-season WNIT, 3 game tourneys are the max. And in the WNIT pre-season, only the 2 finalists get a 4th game, although all teams get to play 3, even the losers along the way.

Also, I'm pretty sure that teams can only participate in one 3 game tourney a season, which typically counts for 2 of their 29 allowed games.

What is interesting to me is that one of these 2 tournaments - I don't remember which - used to be one division playing a 2 game tourney and the other a 3 game round-robin, which made it quite attractive for teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes, I believe that, except for the pre-season WNIT, 3 game tourneys are the max. And in the WNIT pre-season, only the 2 finalists get a 4th game, although all teams get to play 3, even the losers along the way.

Also, I'm pretty sure that teams can only participate in one 3 game tourney a season, which typically counts for 2 of their 29 allowed games.
If a team plays in a tournament (in NCAA parlance, a "multi-team event"), they can play up to 31 games (27 games plus the MTE). 29 is the maximum if they don't plan an MTE.

Current Scheduling Rules
Under the rules that apply to this season, teams build their schedules in one of two ways:

1. If a team signs up for an MTE, it can play a schedule of up to 31 games (32 with a trip to Hawai’i)—27 games plus participation in an MTE of up to four contests. In this case, a team schedules between 11 and 17 non-conference matchups depending on the length of its conference schedule. However, the MTE is responsible for three or four of these, reducing the burden on coaching staffs.
  2. If a team skips an MTE, it can play a schedule of up to 29 games (30 with a trip to Hawai’i). If declining to participate in an event, a team schedules nine to 15 non-league games based on its conference slate. But with no MTE to fill three or four of those slots, that’s more work for coaches.
====

But as noted in the article I got this from, these rules might be changing slightly for 2020-21:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So what’s the deal with the Maggie Dixon classic? The Miami-DePaul game in Chicago was called the final of the Maggie Dixon Classic but there are a pair of games at TCU (Boise v TCU and Florida State vs Texas A&M) on Sunday that are also called the Maggie Dixon Classic.

DePaul is connected to Dixon because she was an assistant to Bruno. TCU is where her brother coaches the men. I’m guessing this turned into two events after the earlier Maggie Dixon Classic stopped playing in MSG. But I’m confused about what happened and whether the two current events are connected.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not a holiday tournament.... but for some unknown reason... Duke is playing a home game at 7pm on the night before Thanksgiving. Luckily the Wildcats from Davidson are cut from a different cloth than the Wildcats from Nortwestern.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Wed., Nov. 27

Thu., Nov. 28

Junkanoo Jam (FloHoops)​

Has anyone seen Indiana play? I looked at their recent recruiting classes and didn't see any top shelf recruits.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Not only that, it's a round robin format. I'm not a fan of that.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen Indiana play? I looked at their recent recruiting classes and didn't see any top shelf recruits.
Grace Berger has been playing really, really well. She’s a 6-0 G from Louisville who got away from Jeff and Mitchell. She’s been crazy efficient scoring on all three levels. She was ranked 44th in the class of 2018.

Freshman Mackenzie Holmes has been playing really well too, scoring 14.5 PPG off the bench. She’s 6-3 and was ranked #53 in the class of 2019, and she’s from Maine, so just being ranked says a lot.

They’re without Bendu Yeaney this year, and she started her first two years, so that’s definitely a loss.

Of course they have Patberg from ND who was ranked really high.

They also have Wise from Pitt. I’m not super high on her (maybe because my daughter’s teams have been beating hers since fourth grade;)), but she’s not bad.

I’m feeling SC by 15-20+

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Hopefully, the team won't be looking ahead to Baylor, like I am. ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tried a ranking of the main tournaments by quality of competition (not just quality of teams, since not all teams play each other):

Tournament name (location)Teams
1. Paradise Jam, Reef Tournament#2 Baylor, #5 South Carolina, #17 Indiana, Washington State
2. Paradise Jam, Island Tournament#1 Oregon, #8 Louisville, Oklahoma State, UT Arlington
3. Greater Victoria Invitational#3 Stanford, #10 Mississippi State, #18 Syracuse, Green Bay, Houston, Bowling Green, San Francisco, Cal Baptist
4. Cancún Challenge, Mayan Tournament#21 South Florida, Notre Dame, South Dakota State, Florida Gulf Coast
5. Miami Thanksgiving Classic#7 Oregon State, #19 Miami, Miami (OH), Liberty
5. Gulf Coast ShowcaseDrake, Gonzaga, Arizona State, Purdue, Auburn, MTSU, Dayton, Maine
6. Cancún Challenge, Riviera Tournament#23 West Virginia, Creighton, Missouri, North Carolina, New Mexico, Temple
7. Junkanoo Jam, Bimini DivisionMichigan State, LSU, Kansas State, Memphis
8. Junkanoo Jam, Junkanoo DivisionRutgers, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Seton Hall

Honorable mentions:
South Point ShootoutSouth Dakota, Ohio State, Nebraska, USC, Northern Iowa, Alabama, Northern Illinois, Tennessee Tech, Detroit Mercy, Sacred Heart
Daytona Beach Invitational#9 Maryland, Belmont, Ohio, Virginia Tech, Butler, Clemson, Georgia, Ole Miss, Alcorn State
Heineken Rainbow Wahine Showdown#12 NC State, Texas, Hawai'i, North Texas
Bahamas HoopfestArkansas, Wisconsin, Fordham, Ball State, Lehigh
Puerto Rico ClásicoIowa, Cincinnati, Bucknell, Tulane, Washington, Charlotte, Boston College, Towson, Iona, Howard

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tried a ranking of the main tournaments by quality of competition (not just quality of teams, since not all teams play each other):

Tournament name (location)Teams
1. Paradise Jam, Reef Tournament#2 Baylor, #5 South Carolina, #17 Indiana, Washington State
2. Paradise Jam, Island Tournament#1 Oregon, #8 Louisville, Oklahoma State, UT Arlington
3. Greater Victoria Invitational#3 Stanford, #10 Mississippi State, #18 Syracuse, Green Bay, Houston, Bowling Green, San Francisco, Cal Baptist
4. Cancún Challenge, Mayan Tournament#21 South Florida, Notre Dame, South Dakota State, Florida Gulf Coast
5. Miami Thanksgiving Classic#7 Oregon State, #19 Miami, Miami (OH), Liberty
5. Gulf Coast ShowcaseDrake, Gonzaga, Arizona State, Purdue, Auburn, MTSU, Dayton, Maine
6. Cancún Challenge, Riviera Tournament#23 West Virginia, Creighton, Missouri, North Carolina, New Mexico, Temple

Honorable mentions:
South Point ShootoutSouth Dakota, Ohio State, Nebraska, USC, Northern Iowa, Alabama, Northern Illinois, Tennessee Tech, Detroit Mercy, Sacred Heart
Daytona Beach Invitational#9 Maryland, Belmont, Ohio, Virginia Tech, Butler, Clemson, Georgia, Ole Miss, Alcorn State
Heineken Rainbow Wahine Showdown#12 NC State, Texas, Hawai'i, North Texas
Bahamas HoopfestArkansas, Wisconsin, Fordham, Ball State, Lehigh
Puerto Rico ClásicoIowa, Cincinnati, Bucknell, Tulane, Washington, Charlotte, Boston College, Towson, Iona, Howard

asa
How many of these are actual tounaments with the winner being the champ vs just a set of planned games line-up like the Paradise jam. I know last year the thxgiving tournament in B.C. (Vancouver Showcase) was winner plays winner as ND beat Oregoon State in the final after OS beat South Carolina. The Greater Victoria seems to be replacing that this year, but not sure if it is a true tournament. A tournament should have has winners brackets to semis and championship and losers brackets for various places (5th through 8th)..

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
How many of these are actual tounaments with the winner being the champ vs just a set of planned games line-up like the Paradise jam. I know last year the thxgiving tournament in B.C. (Vancouver Showcase) was winner plays winner as ND beat Oregoon State in the final after OS beat South Carolina. The Greater Victoria seems to be replacing that this year, but not sure if it has winners brackets to championship and losers brackets for vaious places.
See my post #6 above.

Reaction Score
See my post #6 above.
thx...missed it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
USF down 2 48-46 to SDS 4+ minutes left in 4Q.

Plebe

Reaction Score
USF down 2 48-46 to SDS 4+ minutes left in 4Q.
The bottom fell out quickly for USF. They went scoreless for almost 5 minutes and saw their 2-point lead turn to a 13-point deficit. They desperately needed a timeout as SDSU ran away, but all José did was yank some of his starters, including his best player, Bethy Mununga. Not sure why he'd just let his team drown like that.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Interesting article from Graham Hays about why the Thanksgiving tournaments are particularly valuable to the mid-majors:

"A team such as South Dakota State lacks that built-in access to the kind of games that both help a mid-major program's RPI and catch the attention of poll voters. Top mid-majors playing each other makes for good basketball and helps those teams, but it doesn't move the needle. When South Dakota and Drake played two weeks ago, the result was a net decrease in their combined votes in the Associated Press poll. They need wins against the Power 5."​

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nice to hear Brenda VanLengen on the call at the Paradise Jam. She's a true pro.

UT Arlington is a decent team and has been giving Louisville all they can handle, but Louisville's length and talent started to impose itself in 2Q.

UTA's roster got a big boost from a couple of waiver approvals:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Terrible news for Vanderbilt. Leading scorer Brinae Alexander left early in today's game with an injury. Apparently a knee. :(

Rutgers and Vandy locked in a tight battle, tied early in 3Q.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Vandy locked in a tight battle, tied early in 3Q.

I was trying to feel a little better about our Rutgers win so I don't know what to make of this

Rutgers should get a good boost with the addition of Morris soon though. Rutgers still has a problem with turnovers.

Vandy has more problems with injuries than just about any other team it seems like. Every year under white multiple key players go down with major injuries.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom