Start Adams Over Gibbs? | The Boneyard

Start Adams Over Gibbs?

Should Adams start over Gibbs or Purvis?

• Yes, over Gibbs

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • No, but he has earned starter minutes.

Votes: 41 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I, for one, believe that Gibbs deserves to be starting still, but Adams should be getting 20-25 minutes in every big game we play. But there are reasons to start Adams. Here are my thoughts. What do you all think?

Start Jalen:

- He clearly oozes potential in every facet of the game. Great looking shot, solid fundamentals on his handle, leadership qualities. Screams long-lasting successful NBA guard to me. Too early?
- Much, much better defender than Gibbs. It would take more analysis than I have time for, but I really wouldn't be surprised if Gibbs gives up defensively much more than he brings offensively. Especially when his 3-ball is off like it has been as of late.
- He is the future of UCONN basketball at the guard spot.
- His leadership and offensive prowess were what he was known for when he came to UCONN. Scouting reports actually suggested his defense was weak. We've seen the leadership. He has an uncanny calm demeanor on the court compared to a lot of early season freshman who have the ball in their hands. The offense has not been there yet--he hasn't adjusted--; I've been pleasantly surprised by his defense.
- His dunks are a thing of beauty. Somehow smooth and vicious at the same time. Isn't that reason enough?

Don't start Jalen:

- By the numbers, he is simply not as good as either player. His defense doesn't show up in the box score so much, but his offense should. He is not finishing at the rim or dropping 3's like we need him to. Of course he's a freshman getting used to the game, but he make take time to adjust that this team doesn't have with recent losses.
- He doesn't have the handle of your traditional lead guard yet. His handle is good, no doubt, but it's not tight and low like a Boatright, Napier, Kemba, or even Alterique coming in. He moves North/South well, but laterally in the half-court is just ok. I expect he'll develop it with Ollie over the summer. He certainly has the athleticism, bounce, and long ass arms to have a curry-esque handle.
- The eye test tells me, and Ollie has also suggested that Purvis is a pretty good defender. We can put Gibbs on the weakest perimeter player in a lot of games.
- Jalen can't make a god-dang layup with his left hand. Every highlight reel. Every game tape. Look at it. Drives me nuts. That will take a summer or more to get together, and it will still probably never come as naturally to him as it could if he had worked on it years ago.

Gibbs:

29.6min
11.9pt
2.0reb
2.6ast
1.1stl
1.5to
1.8pf
35.6 3P%
43.7FG%
94FT%

Adams:

19.3min
5.9pt
2.3reb
2.3ast
1.0stl
1.4to
1.9pf
30.8 3P%
39.1FG%
77.8FT%

And can we all agree he's going to be a killer by the time he leaves UCONN, right?

Reaction Score
For us to succeed this year we need Gibbs to play well and we need a ton of Adams too. If it can be proven that starting Adams would prevent us getting buried in the hole like we have then yeah I would start him but do we have that proof?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Adams needs minutes to be able to improve. It you want to see his stats increase this year, you need to invest in his development now.

Reaction Score
Really tough call. All 3 guards have great strengths, but also present concerns. Big Jalen fan, but have concerns about it being too soon for him to take over. He is a special player, no doubt. I just hate to give up on Gibbs as a starter based on what he did on this level last year.

Play the three guards with Hamilton and Miller?

Reaction Score
Why does the majority of the board still think this is the 90s and/or high school where who starts matters?

Phil Nolan started every game of the 2014 tournament run.

Reaction Score
Really tough call. All 3 guards have great strengths, but also present concerns. Big Jalen fan, but have concerns about it being too soon for him to take over. He is a special player, no doubt. I just hate to give up on Gibbs as a starter based on what he did on this level last year.

Play the three guards with Hamilton and Miller?

Miller or Brimah. Lock it in.

Reaction Score
Why does the majority of the board still think this is the 90s and/or high school where who starts matters?

It does matter to the players, at least some. It's a mental thing; these are just young kids. The minutes on the court matter, but the players know who is starting is being rewarded. Just my two cents.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

...and how did that turn out?
#freephil

Reaction Score
Jalen needs to play to see if he can help get us off to a fast start, to open up opportunities for Sterling to get open 3pt shots and to create opportunities for others by getting into the lane. He is clearly one the 5 most talented players on the roster. This isn't football where you redshirt QBs with talent. Jalen won't be here that long if he lives up to expectations. Put him out there 30+ minutes and he'll be our best or second best player come March. He's a rare talent and a kid like that needs to be given the ball and told to get out there and help us win games. That confidence boost that you get when your coach tells you to do your thing because he trusts you is huge. He'll gradually start making great decisions and finding his teammates open shots. I am all for accelerating that process. Keep in mind, we are losing, not struggling our way to wins. We need a change. I don't think Gibbs should be seeing much of a reduction in minutes, I just want him to be able to score from the perimeter like we need him to.

Reaction Score
He's not a PG in the true meaning and expectation of a UConn fan but he's fine in the "2PG" line up especially so we need to see more of he and Jalen out there together. I mean what everyone seems to forget is he's shooting 43.5% and no team on earth will allow him to shoot, he is a target for the better defender always. So the coaches need to find ways to get him looks right?

Reaction Score
No problem with Gibbs starting but Adams is the better more complete player. Gibbs' one attribute is his shooting ability but his best games have mostly been against inferior opponents. He may be the worst defensive starting guard to wear a husky uni. Maybe he turns it around. Hopefully starting today

Reaction Score
No problem with Gibbs starting but Adams is the better more complete player. Gibbs' one attribute is his shooting ability but his best games have mostly been against inferior opponents. He may be the worst defensive starting guard to wear a husky uni. Maybe he turns it around. Hopefully starting today

He's not that bad he was ok on Perkins but not so good on Trimble. He's not the first to have that happen to him with Melo. He's not great but he's also not the only guy falling short on his defensive abilities thus far.

Today would be a great start for everyone. Need a solid 40 minutes from everyone this is a better team than we are making them out to be, very capable. Need to get the crows into it and keep them there.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Every time Adams is not in the game I get this feeling of upcoming disaster.

Reaction Score
I think we all now why Gibbs is on, at his 3rd program.

Reaction Score
I think we all now why Gibbs is on, at his 3rd program.
Gibbs has a role. It may just be playing the role of Albert Mourning or Rashad Anderson. Unfortunately, his shot has sorta disappeared. But it's a long season and KO will get these guys clicking. But JA needs to control the ball more. It's going to happen. I can't wait to see what JA is doing by the end of the season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
His vision and playmaking opened up the game today, and I have no doubt his shot will come back in the next couple of weeks.

He'll never be an A+ defender, but the dude is clearly a player.

You don't become 2nd team all BE by being a scrub. Shot's off, that's all. It likely affects the rest of his game.

Ryan Boatright committed to 3 schools. He's a bum. blah blah blah /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky