Stanford's Lili Thompson transfers to ND | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Stanford's Lili Thompson transfers to ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Graduate transferring in all sports seems to have increased. I suspect greater numbers of athletes are starting college immediately in the summer after high school and are allowed to start earning credits immediately. If a player is a good student they could possibly enter with credits through advanced placement courses as well.

Thompson could help ND next year as it will be adjusting from a 4 year starter at PG. I understand why this board may not be huge fans but ND is a top 4 program and offers a good education. UConn will be loaded next year but the Irish could be close behind.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Graduate transferring in all sports seems to have increased. I suspect greater numbers of athletes are starting college immediately in the summer after high school and are allowed to start earning credits immediately. If a player is a good student they could possibly enter with credits through advanced placement courses as well.

Thompson could help ND next year as it will be adjusting from a 4 year starter at PG. I understand why this board may not be huge fans but ND is a top 4 program and offers a good education. UConn will be loaded next year but the Irish could be close behind.

Props to Thompson, she'll have a Stanford undergrad, Notre Dame graduate degree. Those are two schools that most people (including myself) could only dream of attending.

Interested to see how it affects team chemistry/dynamic after reading some comments on other boards regarding her parents. That said, on paper they look great:

C-Turner
F-Westbeld
F-Mabrey
G-Ogunbowale
G-Thompson

Bench:
Patberg
Boley
Young

If Young and Boley can take the next step and develop into effective players, Notre Dame will be really good.

I don't think they'll be able to compete with UCONN, but they'll be good nonetheless.

Reaction Score
The situation with Lili Thompson raises a couple of thoughts me:

1. Practically, I wonder why she just didn't go pro next year.

2. But emotionally, her transfer cuts further into the fantasy that I have (and that colleges stress) that team sports are meant to bring together persons of different backgrounds who are taught to merge their talents into a whole. Lili's actions (as the actions of the football players who sat out bowl games this year) bring into startling focus the reality of college sports. I am very able to see what it really is but I always sit by screen hoping to get caught up in the fantasy.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The situation with Lili Thompson raises a couple of thoughts me:

1. Practically, I wonder why she just didn't go pro next year.

2. But emotionally, her transfer cuts further into the fantasy that I have (and that colleges stress) that team sports are meant to bring together persons of different backgrounds who are taught to merge their talents into a whole. Lili's actions (as the actions of the football players who sat out bowl games this year) bring into startling focus the reality of college sports. I am very able to see what it really is but I always sit by screen hoping to get caught up in the fantasy.

She wouldn't be a top pick after her season last year. I don't think she necessarily makes a roster in the W.

She also gets a chance to play on a team that has a strong chance to make the title game and gets a free graduate degree from an extremely prestigious school. Staying a year to get a graduate degree from Notre Dame will likely propel her life more than jumping to the pros.

Reaction Score
The UConn men have had a couple very good graduate students that made a big difference on the team - one from Cornell and one from Seton Hall. If I were talented enough to play at a school like UConn, diploma already in hand, I'd go for it. Coaches can come and go as they please, without regards to what's best for teams, why should students be stuck in a situation the don't want if a better prospect presents itself?

Graduate transfers boosting UConn men's basketball team

In the recent past, Lasan Kromah, a grad transfer from GWU, was on the 2014 NC winning team.

On the men's side, Coach K, Calipari, and Roy W were all against it (link), which is hypocritical, I think.
They're against the 'one year rental' yet they benefit the most from the one-and-dones who go to the NBA after spending a semester in their schools.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
1) I have no problem with her transferring, but she received a scholarship to play basketball at Stanford. If she cannot play due to injury fine, but choosing not to play the scholarship should be gone. Have Stanford send her a bill for her senior year.

2) Since when is she the second coming of Sue Bird, Mo, or Skylar Diggins ? IMO, A good player, but I dont see a huge upgrade over what ND would have otherwise.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1) I have no problem with her transferring, but she received a scholarship to play basketball at Stanford. If she cannot play due to injury fine, but choosing not to play the scholarship should be gone. Have Stanford send her a bill for her senior year.

2) Since when is she the second coming of Sue Bird, Mo, or Skylar Diggins ? IMO, A good player, but I dont see a huge upgrade over what ND would have otherwise.
Scholarships are only good for one year and and renewed - or not - at the discretion of the school. Theoretically, Stanford could decide not to renew a scholarship and there would be no recourse for the player. The school doesn't owe the player anything and vice versa.

Reaction Score
Scholarships are only good for one year and and renewed - or not - at the discretion of the school. Theoretically, Stanford could decide not to renew a scholarship and there would be no recourse for the player. The school doesn't owe the player anything and vice versa.

I humbly disagree. An athlete is given a scholarship which includes tuition, room and board, books and other expenses. At Stanford approx $60,000 per yr. In exchange, the agree to play the sport they were recruited for. This is a contract, either signed or implied.

As I stated, if she was hurt and advised not to play for medical reasons, fine. However, just choosing not to play should not allow her continue receiving her scholarship. She is a regular student and should pay for her education like every other student there.

Stanford is being nice to her, but unfair to other students.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I humbly disagree. An athlete is given a scholarship which includes tuition, room and board, books and other expenses. At Stanford approx $60,000 per yr. In exchange, the agree to play the sport they were recruited for. This is a contract, either signed or implied.

As I stated, if she was hurt and advised not to play for medical reasons, fine. However, just choosing not to play should not allow her continue receiving her scholarship. She is a regular student and should pay for her education like every other student there.

Stanford is being nice to her, but unfair to other students.
I think we have a misunderstanding? Thompson has fulfilled her obligation to Stanford this year. She is under no obligation to play for the Cardinal next year as this year's scholarship will hav expired.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Is there a way to get a read on her stats wise? Most team websites archive all that info for prior years, but if Stanford does I can't seem to access it. Anyone? Anyone?

Reaction Score
I think we have a misunderstanding? Thompson has fulfilled her obligation to Stanford this year. She is under no obligation to play for the Cardinal next year as this year's scholarship will hav expired.

Maybe I am confused. Prior to this season, it was originally announced she would not be playing for Stanford this year, I thought it also stated she was still receiving her scholarship for the 2016-17 school year. Is this not correct ?

Next year is not a question as she will have graduated from Stanford while using only 3 of her 4 years of athletic eligibility.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe I am confused. Prior to this season, it was originally announced she would not be playing for Stanford this year, I thought it also stated she was still receiving her scholarship for the 2016-17 school year. Is this not correct ?
You are correct.
"In a potential blow to Stanford’s return to the top of women’s basketball, three-year starting guard Lili Thompson won’t return for her senior season, the player’s father told this news organization Thursday.
Greg Thompson said in a text message that his daughter will remain on scholarship and graduate with her class. "
Mystery surrounds Stanford star Lili Thompson’s decision to skip senior season – The Mercury News

Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Props to Thompson, she'll have a Stanford undergrad, Notre Dame graduate degree. Those are two schools that most people (including myself) could only dream of attending.

Interested to see how it affects team chemistry/dynamic after reading some comments on other boards regarding her parents. That said, on paper they look great:

C-Turner
F-Westbeld
F-Mabrey
G-Ogunbowale
G-Thompson

Bench:
Patberg
Boley
Young

If Young and Boley can take the next step and develop into effective players, Notre Dame will be really good.

I don't think they'll be able to compete with UCONN, but they'll be good nonetheless.

I look at Thompson as being a fine bridge/transition from Lindsay Allen to the next floor general. That was initially supposed to be Ali Patberg, but the young woman has had a "Lil' Abner-type" of black cloud over her since coming to ND with knee surgery (and other leg injuries) and illnesses. Thompson can supply the rest of the starters (all but Allen return) running on all cylinders while Patberg, Boley and Young hopefully make that 2nd year jump.

One would think McGraw and her chief recruiter Niele Ivey (two former point guards, btw) will still look for a PG in 2018 to back up Patberg in 2018.

BTW, Patberg finally got a stretch to run the offense in the Miami-ND game yesterday. One of those 'we know each other too well" games (read, Ugly), but she acquitted herself well. And Young looks to be back from that ankle roll she suffered against UConn, having some good put-backs and wonderful spin more to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Stanford did a nice thing and kept her on scholarship but that doesn't mean Thompson owes Stanford a year.

No she doesn't owe Stanford anything. But IF the thought was: "I'll save a year of eligibility by not playing, get Stanford to still give me free tuition, and then go where I want for my last year," I'd say that's a bit have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford did a nice thing and kept her on scholarship but that doesn't mean Thompson owes Stanford a year.
Agreed. ND did same for Taya Reimer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No she doesn't owe Stanford anything. But IF the thought was: "I'll save a year of eligibility by not playing, get Stanford to still give me free tuition, and then go where I want for my last year," I'd say that's a bit have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too.
That sounds a little too calculating, because the injury was multiple concussions with little to no information from either side. Based on some of the tweets from the father and messages on Stanford board, the family was not satisfied with how Stanford handled the previous concussions.
Tara has not commented on the reason Lili has left the team so my guess is that extra year of scholarship was given grudgingly.
Even more strange are the interactions with the Stanford WBB team and Stanford Student Lili. When Texas ( Lili is from Texas) played at Stanford this year (Nov 16?) this was reported.
" Shortly thereafter, Lili Thompson arrived and sat courtside opposite the Texas bench. Lili left the team for undisclosed reasons after last season but is completing her senior year at Stanford.
Stanford FBC: Event Reports
There is another article saying "She (Lili) showed nothing but support for former teammates" but she also might have been considering going to Texas.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I come late to this party after reading a Swish Appeal article. Fighting Irish welcome Thompson

Gotta say I'm not a big fan of one year of eligibility transfers. Yes, it is "legal", but it smacks of opportunism to me. I know that there is little likelihood of a flood of this kind of thing, but if I'm a ND player I don't know how I feel about it. That whole thing about Stanford's handling of concussions: does that mean that they felt Stanford was too careful? Wasn't it a Stanford guard who left for Texas because Texas would let her play and Stanford would not? Jamie Carey. Lili thinks she is going to slide into a NC? as a starter at ND. Couple of transfers and a whole lot of others are going to have something to say about that one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I come late to this party after reading a Swish Appeal article. Fighting Irish welcome Thompson
Gotta say I'm not a big fan of one year of eligibility transfers. Yes, it is "legal", but it smacks of opportunism to me. I know that there is little likelihood of a flood of this kind of thing, but if I'm a ND player I don't know how I feel about it. That whole thing about Stanford's handling of concussions: does that mean that they felt Stanford was too careful? Wasn't it a Stanford guard who left for Texas because Texas would let her play and Stanford would not? Jamie Carey. Lili thinks she is going to slide into a NC? as a starter at ND. Couple of transfers and a whole lot of others are going to have something to say about that one.
If I'm a ND player I'm ok with it for a couple of reasons. Lili is better than anyone playing PG at ND next year. Lili Thompson has led teams that have defeated both UCONN and ND.

I'm not sure what the family's issues were with Stanford's handling of Lili's concussions.

Yes Stanford's doctor would not clear Carey for 2 full years.
"But a concussion just before her (Carey) sophomore year put her on the bench, and she ultimately sat out two years because of recurring concussions. During that time, Stanford doctors evaluated her on several occasions and decided she could not be cleared to play because of the problems she was having from her head injuries.
Jamie Carey to Resume Hoops Career at Texas

NC for Lili next year? Highly unlikely, but did any other serious NC contender have room for her? Baylor-No, UCONN-heck No, Texas-maybe??? South Carolina-No, FSU-maybe. A bigger question, has any transfer led a team to NC?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Jenna Brown, 5'10" point guard out of Atlanta area (#8 overall player for 2018, #1 point in Hoopgurlz) just committed to ND, so she joins Patberg in 2018-2019 (and beyond, knock on wood), with Thompson and Patberg manning the PG in 2017-18.

jenna-brown

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member