Stanford's #1 seed problem | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stanford's #1 seed problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tough loss for Cal. They've lost to 3 ranked teams by a total of 6 pts.

Stanford was rusty vs a pretty good Princeton team. Im still not very confident about beating TN. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost big.

On a positive note, Tenn's defense gave up 64 points to an offensively challenged UCLA team. UCLA also grabbed 18 offensive boards so the O sisters should have opportunities for offensive boards. There are definitely holes in Tenn's defense so Stanford will also have opportunities to score. But players not named Ogwumike will need to shoot better than they shot today.

Reaction Score
On a positive note, Tenn's defense gave up 64 points to an offensively challenged UCLA team. UCLA also grabbed 18 offensive boards so the O sisters should have opportunities for offensive boards. There are definitely holes in Tenn's defense so Stanford will also have opportunities to score. But players not named Ogwumike will need to shoot better than they shot today.

Agree. We were obviously a bit rusty after 13 day lay off for finals. Give a lot of credit to Princeton, they played a solid and fundamentally strong game.

We are too young in backcourt and wing. My expectations are not that high.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
But I thought losing Pohlen and Pedersen was going to be no problem?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I see, now, what was missed. Stanford only has 29 games scheduled instead of the 31 previously believed. Any idea what might have happened there?
29 games would be correct.

In order to play more than 29 games, you have to play in the tourneys that allow you to play extra games. Teams in the pre-season WNIT get the most games, UConn benefits from a 3 game tourney, etc. The rest of the WBB world plays 29 (or, in a few cases, 28) games.

21 of the 74 power conference teams are playing more than 29; most from the Big 12 and Big East.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just confirmed that Baylor is the only team playing 31 this season - due to the WNIT as noted.

As to the Big 10 mention - will be interesting. Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State are all looking pretty good; some of the other teams are looking awful. They always play a tough out of conference schedule, and actually might be having one of their better years against it.

In any case, PAC 12, Big Ten and SEC may compete for weakest, based on early returns.

Reaction Score
But I thought losing Pohlen and Pedersen was going to be no problem?

I never said that. In fact, I said we were going to miss a lot because they played in every game during their Stanford careers. Pedersen started ALL games, minus Depaul game last yr when she was hurt. We have a talented frosh class, but they are frosh, and it's early in the season.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I never said that. In fact, I said we were going to miss a lot because they played in every game during Stanford career, and Pedersen started ALL games, minus Depaul game last yr when she was hurt. We have a talented frosh class, but they are frosh and it's early.
Sorry cardfan, I didn't mean to imply you said that. But some Stanford visitors have suggested that Orrange and others would slot right in for P & P without missing a beat.

Reaction Score
29 games would be correct.

In order to play more than 29 games, you have to play in the tourneys that allow you to play extra games. Teams in the pre-season WNIT get the most games, UConn benefits from a 3 game tourney, etc. The rest of the WBB world plays 29 (or, in a few cases, 28) games.

21 of the 74 power conference teams are playing more than 29; most from the Big 12 and Big East.

As Johnny Carson would famously say, "I didn't know that." Thanx.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just confirmed that Baylor is the only team playing 31 this season - due to the WNIT as noted.

As to the Big 10 mention - will be interesting. Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State are all looking pretty good; some of the other teams are looking awful. They always play a tough out of conference schedule, and actually might be having one of their better years against it.

In any case, PAC 12, Big Ten and SEC may compete for weakest, based on early returns.

Actually based on early returns.. the Pac 12 would be at the bottom... but the SEC would be ahead of the ACC... much to my chagrin. I would put the ACC ahead of the Big 10 as well.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Their only really good win is at Texas.
And the Texas winning is not exactly stellar. Yes Texas is ranked, but for how long? Not a single win over a ranked team. Beating North Texas by nine? Not exactly impressive.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I just can't see Stanford losing another game if they can get by Tennessee.

So, if they win out, they will be 31-1 after the PAC tourney and before the teams are seeded. A no brainer #1.

Does a loss to Tennessee making them 30-2 really change that?

UConn and Baylor appear to be #1 locks, so assuming that, what 2 teams could take the #1 seed from Stanford?

ND, Duke, Tennessee, Kenutcky. Anyone else?

Reaction Score
Tough loss for Cal. They've lost to 3 ranked teams by a total of 6 pts.

Stanford was rusty vs a pretty good Princeton team. Im still not very confident about beating TN. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost big.

You shouldn't even think that; Stanford absolutely has to beat "The Evil Empire"!

Reaction Score
You shouldn't even think that; Stanford absolutely has to beat "The Evil Empire"!

believe me, I don't want to think that. There isn't a team that I want to beat more than TN. I'm just going by my eye ball test and my gut feeling, which are usually right.

Reaction Score
Sorry cardfan, I didn't mean to imply you said that. But some Stanford visitors have suggested that Orrange and others would slot right in for P & P without missing a beat.

Got it. No problem, thanks

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well... Stanford got the big win they needed. Guess they will enter the NCAA tourney at 31-1 or something like that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If things go true to form, Stanford will run the table in the conference and get a 1 seed. With 1 hiccup, they still get a 1. With 2, maybe not, but a 2 in Fresno is still very helpful.

The Cardinal are different this year--less balance and less experience, but 1 super player.

Reaction Score
If things go true to form, Stanford will run the table in the conference and get a 1 seed. With 1 hiccup, they still get a 1. With 2, maybe not, but a 2 in Fresno is still very helpful.

The Cardinal are different this year--less balance and less experience, but 1 super player.

Chiney isn't chop liver. However, just learned that Jasime Camp out for the year with stress fracture. Our 2nd frosh guard out for the yr. Ugh:(

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Chiney isn't chop liver. However, just learned that Jasime Camp out for the year with stress fracture. Our 2nd frosh guard out for the yr. Ugh:(
That's a bummer. Camp was playing well, was she not?

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
That's a bummer. Camp was playing well, was she not?

Yes -- she wasn't spectacular, but was steady and had been starting, which allowed Toni to play more at the 2 and Lindy (much as I love her hustle and experience) to spend more time on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom