Stanford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford

Reaction Score
Roberson was originally a walk-on. Great career for her, but I agree her replacement this year could very well be an upgrade.

It's McPhee's summer w/ USA Basketball that makes me optimistic about this team coming on later in the season.

Maybe not this year (or at least not early on), but look for freshman Estella Moschkau (6'1" wing ranked top 50 from Wisconsin) to restore some of Stanford's usual 3-point prowess. I thought she looked great in video from HS, kind of like former Dayton star Ally Mallott. Tara likes the 3-point stroke Moschkau has shown in practice, but overall it sounds she's still just a freshman and will be eased in over time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The game against Ohio State is not an exhibition game. It is Stanford's first game of the 2017-2018 season.

Stanford's opens the regular season in Columbus, Ohio on Friday, Nov. 10 for a game against No. 5 Ohio State that will be carried on the Big Ten Network at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT. Two days later, Stanford will face No. 1 UConn for the first time since 2014 at Nationwide Arena in downtown Columbus on ESPN at 1:30 p.m. ET/10:30 a.m. PT.
Thank You UconnCat for pointing out my "error"... but as I said in my post, it came directly from the Stanford WBB Web site... GoStanford.com | Stanford Athletics

There are clear bold "Cardinal Red" lines separating their "Exhibition" games from their "Countdown to Columbus" games... and you'll note that their "opens the regular season" game vs Ohio State is shown in the "Exhibition" section. Oh well, so much for believing Schedules posted on Team Web Sites.

Reaction Score
Thank You UconnCat for pointing out my "error"... but as I said in my post, it came directly from the Stanford WBB Web site... GoStanford.com | Stanford Athletics

There are clear bold "Cardinal Red" lines separating their "Exhibition" games from their "Countdown to Columbus" games... and you'll note that their "opens the regular season" game vs Ohio State is shown in the "Exhibition" section. Oh well, so much for believing Schedules posted on Team Web Sites.
D1 teams are not allowed to play exhibition games, open to the public, against other D1 teams.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I used the link you provided to look at their schedule. You're right, it does appear to read that way. It is confusing. Whoever printed it could have done a better job. UConnCat is right however. Top ranked D1 teams DO NOT schedule other top ranked D1 teams to play exhibition games. They usually schedule either Division 2, 3, NAIA programs, or a D1 "Mid-Major" as they did in this case: UC-San Diego. The Ohio State game IS NOT an exhibition game. :)

From the Stanford website -
Courtesy: Stanford Athletics 11/02/2017

EARLY SEASON TRADITION -

It will be the third time in the past four seasons the Cardinal has hosted the Tritons, coached by Tara VanDerveer's younger sister Heidi, in an early-November exhibition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Stanford opens up against Ohio State on Friday, Nov 10. That game will be on the Big Ten Network at 6pm.

What kind of performance can UConn Nation expect form the Huskies Sunday against the Cardinal? How deep can fans expect Geno to go on his bench? Do they avenge their 2014 loss? Final score? :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What kind of performance can UConn Nation expect form the Huskies Sunday against the Cardinal? How deep can fans expect Geno to go on his bench? Do they avenge their 2014 loss? Final score? :rolleyes:
Stanford's in trouble. Bring 'em on baby. Bring 'em on.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Top ranked D1 teams DO NOT schedule other top ranked D1 teams to play exhibition games. They usually schedule either Division 2, 3, NAIA programs, or a D1 "Mid-Major" as they did in this case: UC-San Diego. The Ohio State game IS NOT an exhibition game.

Actually, D1 teams can and sometimes do play each other in preseason games. I believe Tennessee recently played NC State in a preseason game/scrimmage. Such games/scrimmages can not be open to the public or media, however.

I think most coaches would find scrimmages against D1 opponents more beneficial in terms of competition, but the public exhibitions against D2-3 schools provide for the gameday experience that wouldn't occur with a scrimmage. This is particularly valuable for the freshmen. In the case of UConn, the two exhibitions are important because there are two home venues (Gampel and the XL Center) and two different gameday experiences.

Reaction Score
This game won't be close. Stanford graduated its two best players and there is no way that Tara will be able to replace them in just the second regular season game. It will be like the 2014 game against Stanford when, in the second game of the year, we had to replace Steph and Bria. I was at that game and for a large portion of the game we looked confused. We ended the season very well but it took time. Stanford will be a battle later in the year but not now. UConn by at least 25.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I can give you McCall and Samuelson but Roberson didn't impress me at all, she seems very easily replaceable and could be an upgrade, whoever ends up getting her minutes.
Roberson's biggest contribution was in perimeter defense. She was iffy offensively although I seem to recall that she torched UW in the regular season.

Reaction Score
I know we're not supposed to put too much stock in exhibition games against over-matched opponents but Stanford won 60-46 last night over UC-San Diego. Stanford led 21-17 at halftime, shot 39% for the game and made 4-25 three-pointers.

Against us, Tara will let them use their dominant hands.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

If you look though, there is a thinner red line underneath UC San Diego and then it shows the OSU game. So the Exhibition game is just UC San Diego. The clear bold "Countdown to Columbus" is there to show that that is a specific event, not that it's the start of the regular season. There is a thin line underneath UConn's game to separate it from the following two games.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Roberson's biggest contribution was in perimeter defense. She was iffy offensively although I seem to recall that she torched UW in the regular season.

I think she scored 14 against UW, all in the 2nd half. The Card wouldn't have won the game without that offensive explosion from her. OK, other than that game she didn't do anything to catch my eye. Looks like Roberson and Sniezek just about split minutes evenly. Sniezek had almost twice as many assists. Neither was a big scorer, but I like a PG that sets up teammates to score.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think she scored 14 against UW, all in the 2nd half. The Card wouldn't have won the game without that offensive explosion from her. OK, other than that game she didn't do anything to catch my eye. Looks like Roberson and Sniezek just about split minutes evenly. Sniezek had almost twice as many assists. Neither was a big scorer, but I like a PG that sets up teammates to score.
Her defense was outstanding. All-Pac-12 Defensive Team selection.
ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM
Name
School Position Year Hometown
Kristine Anigwe California F So. Phoenix, Ariz.
Monique Billings UCLA F Jr. Corona, Calif.
Jordin Canada** UCLA G Jr. Los Angeles, Calif.
Gabriella Hanson Oregon State G Sr. Anaheim, Calif.
Emily Potter Utah F Jr. Winnipeg, Manitoba
Briana Roberson Stanford G Sr. Fullerton, Calif.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There seems to be a pattern emerging. I know Stanford played outstanding team defense. I guess I didn't really pay very close attention to Roberson individually on defense when I watched Stanford play. I think Stanford is similar to Oregon St. when it comes to defense--it's a system thing, everybody has to buy in and work hard. OSU also had an outstanding individual defender in Hanson, but for both teams it takes all 5 players on the floor working together to consistently hold their opponents to low scores.

Interesting that most of those all defensive players are back this year, 4 out of 6 returned for at least 1 more season.

Was Roberson primarily guarding Plum during that game in Seattle? Cuz if she was, that was a case of great offense trumping great defense (44 pts. on 17-27 shooting, 7-8 behind the arc).

Plebe

Reaction Score
Was Roberson primarily guarding Plum during that game in Seattle? Cuz if she was, that was a case of great offense trumping great defense (44 pts. on 17-27 shooting, 7-8 behind the arc).

It was somewhat the tale of two halves:
Plum in 1st half vs. Stanford: 26 pts, 10-13, 6-6 behind arc
Plum in 2nd half vs. Stanford: 18 pts, 7-14, 1-2 behind arc

And of course, most significantly, all of Plum's teammates *combined* scored only 5 points in the second half, on 1-of-15 shooting.

I don't remember the specific defensive assignment, but I can only imagine that Roberson must have been guarding Plum primarily.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I will be heading to Columbus for the double-header. I look forward to getting a look-see at your Huskies. Any Husky fans going? Live near Columbus?
It is about a 3 hour drive from Louisville. Will also be staking out my digs for my return trip in March/April.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It was somewhat the tale of two halves:
Plum in 1st half vs. Stanford: 26 pts, 10-13, 6-6 behind arc
Plum in 2nd half vs. Stanford: 18 pts, 7-14, 1-2 behind arc

Ha ha. Plum was merely really good in the 2nd half after being superhuman in the 1st half.

UW's other 4 starters were horrendous. 2-26 for the game. Bench shot better, 4-11, but not enough to make much difference. I don't care how good of defense a team is playing, no defense is good enough to force a 2-26 shooting performance. That was just one of those games where nobody other than Plum could hit a shot to save their life.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha ha. Plum was merely really good in the 2nd half after being superhuman in the 1st half.

UW's other 4 starters were horrendous. 2-26 for the game. Bench shot better, 4-11, but not enough to make much difference. I don't care how good of defense a team is playing, no defense is good enough to force a 2-26 shooting performance. That was just one of those games where nobody other than Plum could hit a shot to save their life.
Exactly, it was a shame that such an epic performance by Plum got squandered by the truly inept shooting of her teammates. It was cringeworthy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually, D1 teams can and sometimes do play each other in preseason games. I believe Tennessee recently played NC State in a preseason game/scrimmage. Such games/scrimmages can not be open to the public or media, however.

I think most coaches would find scrimmages against D1 opponents more beneficial in terms of competition, but the public exhibitions against D2-3 schools provide for the gameday experience that wouldn't occur with a scrimmage. This is particularly valuable for the freshmen. In the case of UConn, the two exhibitions are important because there are two home venues (Gampel and the XL Center) and two different gameday experiences.
Also exhibitions against D2 teams are more lucrative than scrimmages.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I will be heading to Columbus for the double-header. I look forward to getting a look-see at your Huskies. Any Husky fans going? Live near Columbus?
It is about a 3 hour drive from Louisville. Will also be staking out my digs for my return trip in March/April.

How about a follow-up report back to the Boneyard after the game? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

We'll be in Columbus on the 12th (for the Final Four! too) and Louisville for the Cards home opener on the 10th.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was just thinking....................I wonder if Stanford wants UConn as much as we want them???? Personally, I want them real baaaad!!! I want this game to be Stanford's worse loss of the season. Anybody feeling me?? :mad:

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I was just thinking.....I wonder if Stanford wants UConn as much as we want them???? Personally, I want them real baaaad!!! I want this game to be Stanford's worse loss of the season. Anybody feeling me?? :mad:

I have mixed emotions about that. I'd actually prefer a close game now to let Stanford get their hopes up followed by a crushing defeat in the NCAA's on the way to #12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom