Stanford | The Boneyard

Stanford

Reaction Score
Knowing Van de Veer this was probably done on purpose.
You don't truly know the Stanford Coach, neither do I, but having seen her reactions to losses over these past 30 years---I'd say she hates losing or not whopping opponents or playing to their top potential as much as Geno does. Neither she nor Geno will allow their team to play down to the opponents.\
I take your point that we as fans should not take this game as an indicator of how she shall play her team against Uconn. Stanford even in off years is dangerous.

Reaction Score
Tara will have game film from our 2 exhibition games, plus we’re returning 4 starters so no big change anyway. But she’s putting in a new offense this year. Are their exhibition games being streamed?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Good catch Cat...
But the results may indicate a close attention to D on the Stanford end.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I know we're not supposed to put too much stock in exhibition games against over-matched opponents but Stanford won 60-46 last night over UC-San Diego. Stanford led 21-17 at halftime, shot 39% for the game and made 4-25 three-pointers.
I know a few years back I read an article, which I conveniently just found: New era brings new offense to Stanford that talked about Stanford's new offense. A new offense can take a few years to implement. That + youth could be causing the issues. It's game one. All we really know is that they will get better.

Reaction Score
Stanford opens up against Ohio State on Friday, Nov 10. That game will be on the Big Ten Network at 6pm.
According to Stanford's website, the game with Ohio State is their second exhibition game, so while we know they will want to win, the emphasis may not necessarily be on winning this particular game. Just sayin'.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to Stanford's website, the game with Ohio State is their second exhibition game, so while we know they will want to win, the emphasis may not necessarily be on winning this particular game. Just sayin'.

The game against Ohio State is not an exhibition game. It is Stanford's first game of the 2017-2018 season.

Stanford's opens the regular season in Columbus, Ohio on Friday, Nov. 10 for a game against No. 5 Ohio State that will be carried on the Big Ten Network at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT. Two days later, Stanford will face No. 1 UConn for the first time since 2014 at Nationwide Arena in downtown Columbus on ESPN at 1:30 p.m. ET/10:30 a.m. PT.

Reaction Score
I do think the close score lowers my expectations for Stanford this year, especially for the first half of the season. They shot poorly, but based on personnel, this year's roster might be the weakest outside shooting Stanford team since I started following them 15 years ago.

I did not watch, but read observations on the Stanford board:
–Brittany McPhee tweaked an ankle and was limited to 13 mins. Sounds minor so I'd expect her to play against Ohio State and UConn, but given how soon that is might still be bothering her.
–Junior Alexa Romano started and scored 11 points in 24 mins. Perhaps Tara was experimenting by giving her a chance here. She only played 132 mins in 22 appearances last year.
–Although she only had 1 point, Tara and fans are buzzing about freshman Maya Dodson. I was projecting that she would be like a small forward version of Erica McCall, but word is she's more athletic, stronger, and might have grown since her HS days (now listed as 6'3").
–UCSD is a short team (no one taller than 6'1") yet outrebounded Stanford (Yikes!!!)
–They are still in the process of integrating a new "Golden State Warriors" offense
–Sophomores Anna Wilson and DiJonai Carrington finally look healthy, but McPhee and Alanna Smith are definitely expected to lead.
–The newcomer I was most excited about was Kiana Williams. In video, she looked electric–Moriah-Jefferson quick. But it seems they are very satisfied with junior PG Marta Sniezek's style of play (7 assists & 1 TO in 26 mins) even if she isn't much of a scoring threat.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
–Junior Alexa Romano started and scored 11 points in 24 mins. Perhaps Tara was experimenting by giving her a chance here. She only played 132 mins in 22 appearances last year.

I've heard or read comments from Tara that seemed to indicate she expected Romano to play a much bigger role this year.

Reaction Score
Tara will have game film from our 2 exhibition games, plus we’re returning 4 starters so no big change anyway. But she’s putting in a new offense this year. Are their exhibition games being streamed?
Haven't we heard this every other year for the last five years or so? One of the worst offensive schemes with great talent in the upper echelon IMO.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The article that Nuyoika linked indicates Stanford ran the same offense for more than a decade, then changed in 2014. Changing again in 2017. Three different offensive schemes in close to 15 years doesn't quite seem like changing every other year.

Also Stanford made it to the Final 4 last year, taking out Texas and Notre Dame along the way. I guess they did pretty good for having a terrible offensive scheme.

Reaction Score
I know a few years back I read an article, which I conveniently just found: New era brings new offense to Stanford that talked about Stanford's new offense. A new offense can take a few years to implement. That + youth could be causing the issues. It's game one. All we really know is that they will get better.
The last time THE TREE put in a new Offense--was not a good day for Uconn . Hope this works out better.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I posted in the topic about one of the polls that had Stanford ranked 9th. The core 3 they lost in karlie bird and bri were not replaced. Karlie was the glue for that team in brains and leadership. Mcphee sniezak and smith are ok players but not a core to rely on. At least not yet.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I can give you McCall and Samuelson but Roberson didn't impress me at all, she seems very easily replaceable and could be an upgrade, whoever ends up getting her minutes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stanford struggled to score points all last season. Karlie was their only consistent 3-pt shooter and she’s graduated.

They’re well coached by Tara and they play tough D. I expect Stanford to hang around with UConn for a qtr or so, but with all the offensive weapons the Huskies have, UConn will eventually pull away.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In each of the previous two seasons, Stanford started out not so great and then got vastly better by season's end. Two years ago they sustained a November home loss to Santa Clara, and last year it was the same to Gonzaga.

This year they're replacing McCall, Samuelson, and Roberson, which I think is the most they've had to replace in the past three years. So if anything I'd expect the early-season growing pains to be even more acute. Combine that with two difficult games to open the season against Ohio State and UConn, and this will be interesting to watch.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The last time THE TREE put in a new Offense--was not a good day for Uconn . Hope this works out better.
Why would you even bring that up? I still have nightmares about that. I hope we beat them down to their brake pads. No mercy!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What may be Stanford's undoing is UConn's running game. I don't see any team being able to run with us.

If its a track meet in the first quarter it will be a long day for the Tree.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know we're not supposed to put too much stock in exhibition games against over-matched opponents but Stanford won 60-46 last night over UC-San Diego. Stanford led 21-17 at halftime, shot 39% for the game and made 4-25 three-pointers.

True, but Stanford is going to have to come out a lot better than that, or they will get embarrassed Sunday.
21 points at the half is not going to cut it. I'd like to think that UConn's defense is a little better than UC-San Diego. If I remember correctly, the last time they met, Stanford gave UConn a defeat that the Huskies need to give back to them, only with a much larger MOV. :cool:

If they see the Huskies' 45 point first quarter of today's game on film, it's got to make them squirm in their seats just a little, and sweat a lot. VanDerveer always comes up with a great game plan for UConn, as the Huskies are always the biggest game on their schedule every year. Good luck figuring how to stop the UConn Express this time around.

The Cardinal need to score at least 45 pts by halftime to stay in the game, otherwise they'll dig themselves a hole they can't crawl out of. I look for UConn to score between 40-50 pts the first half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Why would you even bring that up? I still have nightmares about that. I hope we beat them down to their brake pads. No mercy!
Because it was replying to a post that spoke to the Stanford putting in a new Offensive system. That was a terrific wake up call for Uconn--maybe the motivation to get to the NC and win. Maybe last year's NC is motivation to whup up on the Tree. But maybe leave a few branches to make one edition of the courant.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm not predicting Stanford is going to beat UConn, I'm just referring to them generally this season. I think they'll be fine. When was the last time they didn't win 25+ games and finish in the top 3 of the conference? (Answered my own question--they had a rough patch from '97-'01 where they only won 21, 18, 21 and 19 games, but still finished top 3 in the Pac; you have to go all the way back to '87 when they finished 6th; after '01 they've won 30+ 10 out of 16 seasons and a low mark of 26 wins) They have a bunch of talent in the Fr. and Soph classes. Not all of them will be big contributors this season, but it's not unreasonable to think some of them will step up this year. They'll certainly miss Samuelson's shooting and leadership, but overall they should be bigger and more athletic. And I think some people are sleeping on McPhee. She made huge strides last year and could be one of the better players in the conference this season.

Gonzaga wasn't exactly chopped liver last year. Jill Barta has to be one of the best players in the country that most people don't know about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom