Stanford Steve Says Over 1.5 Wins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford Steve Says Over 1.5 Wins

Reaction Score
The only game where we had any chance was UMass. With 5:00 to go we were down 15 to USF and 18 to SMU. You can argue we were vaguely "in" those games based on the final score (lost by 8 and 12), but those were not winnable games that slipped through our fingers.
Being up 7-0 vs USF until seconds before the end of the first half and according to you we were only vaguely in the game?:rolleyes:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The only game where we had any chance was UMass. With 5:00 to go we were down 15 to USF and 18 to SMU. You can argue we were vaguely "in" those games based on the final score (lost by 8 and 12), but those were not winnable games that slipped through our fingers.
We recovered an onside kick but we’re just offsides with a chance to tie it vs USF. I guess I can see why you’d say it wasn’t winnable though.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Being up 7-0 vs USF until seconds before the end of the first half and according to you we were only vaguely in the game?:rolleyes:

That was our only lead, we got outgained by 200 yards, and we lost by 15. Like I said, it didn’t exactly slip through our fingers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

dude they got annihlated by a terrible football team. stop.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel like making any bet where UConn needs to win 3 to cash in is not a good idea.

Reaction Score
Certainly a win against Wagner and possibly up to 4. We should be able to run well enough to enable a short to medium range passing game that should help keep the D off the field even though we may not light up the scoreboard. But if the defense does not reverse the trend off tackling worse every year, Wagner may be it.

Reaction Score
Certainly a win against Wagner and possibly up to 4. We should be able to run well enough to enable a short to medium range passing game that should help keep the D off the field even though we may not light up the scoreboard. But if the defense does not reverse the trend off tackling worse every year, Wagner may be it.
Defense is the one thing I'm a little worried about, but I'm hopeful with the talent they have coming in and with the freshman on defense last year becoming sophomores, that UConn D will be better. Let's hope the coaching staff works everyone on tackling.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We need a miracle at QB to get more than two wins (Wagner and UMass) and even then 4 (Indiana and Illinois) is probably the high water mark.

Reaction Score
You gonna brave life and limb and take your overcompensating mobile to a game?
Oh, and btw, this is my second. The first was long ago and I put 70K miles on it. So, until you have driven one, you aren't qualified to judge. It's just fun.

Reaction Score
We need a miracle at QB to get more than two wins (Wagner and UMass) and even then 4 (Indiana and Illinois) is probably the high water mark.
Massey has Illinois at #87 and USF #100, Navy #94 and ECU at # 112 so why not shot at beating last 3 if can get Indiana at # 60 in an away game? If can compete with #60 Indiana away why not also Tulane #81, Houston #79, Cin. # 61 and Temple # 66? Seems like lot of "average or worse" FBS opponents to play and get some wins.
UConn had historic bad defense in 2018 but not like some of UConn's opponents this year weren't also really, really bad last year (only 6 of 129 FBS schools gave up over 40 points per game and only UConn at 50.4 gave up over 50). UMass # 126 @ 42.9, Ill. # 123 @ 39.4, ECU # 120 @ 37.3 and Houston # 118 @ 37.2.
My point is that UConn plays a lot of mediocre teams (based on last year and Massey early season estimates) and of all the "misjudgements" about 2019 season (based on recency bias) the most likely is that UConn's defense will be super bad again in 2019. Just being really bad (like 2018 SMU @ #110 at 35.3) gets UConn in a lot of these games.
As far as miracle at QB, Pindell got stats but scoring was 22.2 per game (including FCS game with 56 points) or # 111 so isn't exactly world beating (especially given how many low rated defenses UConn faced last year).
My point here is that HCRE2.0 has the plate set for big improvement in win total from last year based on: 1. Hopefully unrepeatable bad defense (based on team age/development, change DC, some new guys with experience/ability), 2. lose Pindell but not much scoring anyway with guy who couldn't pass, 3. OL should be solid and running game should be solid.
Not saying get way more than 4 wins, just that the pool of potential wins are much more than the 4 you mentioned (although the 1st 2 of them are most likely candidates).

Reaction Score
Massey has Illinois at #87 and USF #100, Navy #94 and ECU at # 112 so why not shot at beating last 3 if can get Indiana at # 60 in an away game? If can compete with #60 Indiana away why not also Tulane #81, Houston #79, Cin. # 61 and Temple # 66? Seems like lot of "average or worse" FBS opponents to play and get some wins.
UConn had historic bad defense in 2018 but not like some of UConn's opponents this year weren't also really, really bad last year (only 6 of 129 FBS schools gave up over 40 points per game and only UConn at 50.4 gave up over 50). UMass # 126 @ 42.9, Ill. # 123 @ 39.4, ECU # 120 @ 37.3 and Houston # 118 @ 37.2.
My point is that UConn plays a lot of mediocre teams (based on last year and Massey early season estimates) and of all the "misjudgements" about 2019 season (based on recency bias) the most likely is that UConn's defense will be super bad again in 2019. Just being really bad (like 2018 SMU @ #110 at 35.3) gets UConn in a lot of these games.
As far as miracle at QB, Pindell got stats but scoring was 22.2 per game (including FCS game with 56 points) or # 111 so isn't exactly world beating (especially given how many low rated defenses UConn faced last year).
My point here is that HCRE2.0 has the plate set for big improvement in win total from last year based on: 1. Hopefully unrepeatable bad defense (based on team age/development, change DC, some new guys with experience/ability), 2. lose Pindell but not much scoring anyway with guy who couldn't pass, 3. OL should be solid and running game should be solid.
Not saying get way more than 4 wins, just that the pool of potential wins are much more than the 4 you mentioned (although the 1st 2 of them are most likely candidates).
Pindell could pass but what made him a liability as a passing QB is he couldn't put a lot of zip on his passes, either medium or long range. Way too much loft which gave good DB's all the time in the world to react and pick him off or bat it away.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think we will surprise this year. Our young pups are starving for some wins. Hungry huskies. Where’s @UConnDan97 with his prediction though? That’s all that matters!

I was going to weigh in early, but an over/under set at 1.5 games is an insult to my entire way of life.

The pessimist should begin the over/under at 10 wins, and then I'll waste my breath to bring him or her back up to reality... :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom