Stanford-Oregon State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stanford-Oregon State

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That absolutely was a flop. Pivec is strong, but she ain't that strong. The refs bought it, but it's obvious there wasn't enough impact/momentum to launch Samuelson all the way across the key. You can deny it, but it doesn't change the fact it was a flop. The video clip proves it, not sure why you would post it to try to help your cause saying it's not a flop.

And illegal screen? Where are you getting that from? Nobody is screening anybody in that play.

The doofus commentator on the clip calls it an "illegal screen" by mistake.

It was a flop, but flopping is an integral part of the game. It's used as a dirty word among fans, but it's good defense to put yourself in good defensive position where you can take a shoulder or arm from the offensive player and sell it to the ref as a foul. I agree that the ref shouldn't have called it, but it's true that Pivec extended her arm and tempted fate with Karlie in good defensive position.

Reaction Score
That was a nice game. I thought OSU was gonna run away with the game the way they started. Hats off to both programs.
It was a nice game until OSU offense went 1 (Sydney Wiese) on 5 (Stanford's 5 defenders) for the entire 4th quarter.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Good summary. If OSU doesn't get more creative on the offensive side, they stand no chance against an equally solid defensive team. OSU has some other players who can score, Rueck didn't play them. Last nights game reminded me of the UCONN vs OSU game last year when Rueck refused to sit down Ruth Hamblin, after UCONN repeatedly had her player shoot OPEN 3's (and make them). Rueck's inflexibility to make game adjustments is going to kill a fantastic season. I love the guy, but if he doesn't step up his coaching over the next 10 days, OSU will get upset in the tournament. FYI: I was still very pleased with the OSU defensive effort last night, holding any good team under 50 is outstanding.

Rueck really shortened the rotation last night. I know McWilliams wasn't available. I saw Tudor very briefly, and Kalmer was in long enough to take 4 shots (only 1-4 though). Wiese and Hanson both logged 40 minutes. It's interesting, last night the Beavers looked like UW has a couple times this year when nobody other than Plum could score, except Plum hasn't been held anywhere close to only 13 points this season. That same suffocating Stanford defense she torched for 44 points (more than OSU scored as a team last night!).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: I have a question. If you were to have a private conversation--how would you have conducted it??
I would have gone to a chat room or send a message directly to the person inbox.

Reaction Score
Rueck really shortened the rotation last night. I know McWilliams wasn't available. I saw Tudor very briefly, and Kalmer was in long enough to take 4 shots (only 1-4 though). Wiese and Hanson both logged 40 minutes. It's interesting, last night the Beavers looked like UW has a couple times this year when nobody other than Plum could score, except Plum hasn't been held anywhere close to only 13 points this season. That same suffocating Stanford defense she torched for 44 points (more than OSU scored as a team last night!).
I am completely mystified why Taylor Kalmar is not getting PT? This kid can handle the ball, break down a defender on the dribble, and create her own shot. She is also a terrific passer, and can drain the 3. All I can come up with is Rueck doesn't have faith in her defense, whether individual 1-on-1, or, team defense. Although, last night, she came in and fought through every screen, and stayed with her player. Kat Tudor got picked off multiple times last night by the Stanford screener. I sure hope Kalmar gets more PT, they need her offense.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I like Kalmer too. She's kind of Weisner lite. But it's already a fairly tight rotation w/ Wiese, Hanson, Pivec, McWilliams and Tudor. 1-3 seems fairly interchangeable for OSU. Which of those 5 do you sit to make more room for Kalmer? She should get her chance next year w/ 2 Sr. starters using up eligibility, could be the first guard off the bench (or could be competing for a starting position).

Reaction Score
I like Kalmer too. She's kind of Weisner lite. But it's already a fairly tight rotation w/ Wiese, Hanson, Pivec, McWilliams and Tudor. 1-3 seems fairly interchangeable for OSU. Which of those 5 do you sit to make more room for Kalmer? She should get her chance next year w/ 2 Sr. starters using up eligibility, could be the first guard off the bench (or could be competing for a starting position).
Situational, but I would play her before Tudor when you need someone that can penetrate, and create her own shot. Kat Tudor has the body of a freshman, and, gets knocked off center very easily. Last night, I would have had Kalmar in when Pivik was out for a rest, or, when Hanson was out for a rest. In other words, I would have kept Tudor on the bench against a physical defense that doesn't let you have open looks.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Situational, but I would play her before Tudor when you need someone that can penetrate, and create her own shot. Kat Tudor has the body of a freshman, and, gets knocked off center very easily. Last night, I would have had Kalmar in when Pivik was out for a rest, or, when Hanson was out for a rest. In other words, I would have kept Tudor on the bench against a physical defense that doesn't let you have open looks.
Will McWilliams be back for the Dance?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
According to the box score I saw for last night's game, Kalmer played 7 minutes, Tudor 5, Pivec 28 and Wiese and Hanson both went the full 40.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Will McWilliams be back for the Dance?

The first and second game they said she was sick. I didn't hear anything official yesterday. Not sure that it's an injury. If ill, you'd certainly think she'd be ready by then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom