Stanford-Oregon State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford-Oregon State

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Fell Asleep and when I woke up game was over. Looking at the box score, don't understand how a team as good as Oregon St only scores 7 points in each of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. Doesn't make sense and its games like this that WBB detractors point to as WBB is unwatchable. No excitement and must have been few if any transition baskets. Both teams missed 30+ shots each, so there should have been transition basket opportunities. Did teams miss layups and/or were they like Miss St and So Carolina where they dribbled the ball up the court to get into half court offense? Oregon St had 14 turn overs which is a reasonable number.

Box Score: Stanford vs. Oregon State - Box Score - March 5, 2017 - ESPN

One side of me wishes I had watched the game and the other side is saying didn't miss much;except a close game; and glad I fell asleep.

Reaction Score
In addition to our game, I watched parts of the ND v. Duke, SC v. MSU, Maryland v. Purdue, and Stanford v. Oregon State games. The only team that impressed me was ND. So many teams are offensively challenged. I don't see them as serious threats.

understatement of the year

Time to recruit kids that can shoot, not just athletes.

Reaction Score
That game was hard to watch. Rueck has 10+ days to come up with a less predictable offense (run everything through Weise). Was less impressed with the coaching than players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the fourth quarter, OSU wanted Wiese to take all the shots, and Stanford defended her very well. OSU needed more variety.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Flop? Do you know the definition of the word as it pertains to basketball?
Yes I do & thank you for asking.
Basketball flop: Something that you are taught to do. Occurs when a player overly emphasizes contact for the purpose of deceiving an official. Most often practice by ND WBB players with dis-honorary distinction awarded to Baylor WBB.

Reaction Score
Yes I do & thank you for asking.
Basketball flop: Something that you are taught to do. Occurs when a player overly emphasizes contact for the purpose of deceiving an official. Most often practice by ND WBB players with dis-honorary distinction awarded to Baylor WBB.

And why are you responding to a question presented to @triaddukefan? Do you even have a clue as to why it was asked of him?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And why are you responding to a question presented to @triaddukefan?
I consider any post on this board and opportunity to slam ND, or TN or Baylor... Again thank you for this opportunity.

[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I consider any post on this board and opportunity to slam ND, or TN or Baylor... Again thank you for this opportunity.

Well, that's both inconsiderate and inappropriate. This thread is about the Stanford vs Oregon State game last night! More specifically is was about Karlie Samuelson being accused of flopping on a key play that led to Stanford's victory. She didn't flop, it wasn't an act, she was knocked to the floor. [ ]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, that's both inconsiderate and inappropriate. This thread is about the Stanford vs Oregon State game last night! More specifically is was about Karlie Samuelson being accused of flopping on a key play that led to Stanford's victory. She didn't flop, it wasn't an act, she was knocked to the floor. .
Not really inconsiderate or inappropriate. One of them dots could easily be applied to Stanford as in: Karlie Samuelson plays for Stanford, she a smart girl, Karlie probably did flop.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wow! In addition to being a jerk, you're definitely lacking an education and knowledge. Sorry, I don't have time to waste on a butthole like you.
:D:D:D:D:D:D

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The following was posted on the UCLA forum, by a regular respected poster who has coached in the past. He explained why Oregon State is good defensively. I thought I would share it with you. I think he had one typo(which I will mention in red).
I thought it was interesting reading.

Pat asked me earlier to explain why Oregon State's defense is so good. I watched some of the 1st half last night. They don't do anything special; they just don't do the stupid things that most teams do. They take away 3s, protect the paint and invite the in-between shots. They game-plan for opponents well. Smith early in the game changed Stanford's approach with her ability to pick and pop; against their on-ball screen defense, that is the big weakness or area to exploit.

In terms of specifics, they trail shooters around screens and dare shooters to curl and attack the basket; they ice side on-ball screens to contain penetration and keep the ball on one side of the court; they go over middle ball screens to take away the three and force the ball toward the basket where they have defenders waiting in help. They do not hedge on screens; they play their posts off clogging the middle, which is why posts who can shoot the 3 are the biggest weapon against their defense. They ignore non-shooters on the perimeter in order to clog the paint. They don't foul. They rebound. And they play hard. No real magic sauce, just getting all 5 players to buy into a smart defensive strategy, but one which few teams employ.

Oregon State, more than anyone, appears to have followed the UConn plan: recruit bigger guards with a premium on shooting when every other program is fascinated by small quick guards who dribble; recruit posts who can shoot and play position defense when every other program wants back to the basket posts and shot blockers. With big guards and posts who have good positioning, they take away open 3s and protect the rim and don't foul much. They dare teams to beat them with of the dribble jump shots or posts shooting 3s or trying to create with a lot of dribble penetration into multiple defenders.

The difference between UConn and Oregon State is that Gabby Williams has a little more defensive versatility than Gabbie Hanson, and defends more positions, and Samuelson shoots better than anyone on OSU, and Collier is far more versatile offensively than UConn(it should be than anyone on OSU). UConn's just a more talented team with top 10 players, but they have similar philosophies and recruit similar players, it's just that Oregon State is hoping to get top 100 talent within their philosophy and UConn's waiting for the #1 players who fit their philosophy.

It would be fascinating to see what Reuck would do if he took the USC or Tennessee or some other very high profile job where he could compete for top 10 players. Would he be patient and only recruit the ones who fit his system, like Geno, or would he compromise his system with access to top-ranked players, like Howland did once he started to have access to the best players and he recruited for ranking numbers, not his system?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Example of a Basketball flop: Something that you are taught to do. Occurs when a player overly emphasizes contact for the purpose of deceiving an official.
When are they going to release Karlee from the Hospital anyway?

Reaction Score
Stanford is a very solid defensive team, and, yes, they are best at the defender flop. The "flop" was successfully executed on multiple occasions in the game last night. It doesn't take away from Stanford's win, if they can fool the refs, so be it.

Reaction Score
The following was posted on the UCLA forum, by a regular respected poster who has coached in the past. He explained why Oregon State is good defensively. I thought I would share it with you. I think he had one typo(which I will mention in red).
I thought it was interesting reading.

Pat asked me earlier to explain why Oregon State's defense is so good. I watched some of the 1st half last night. They don't do anything special; they just don't do the stupid things that most teams do. They take away 3s, protect the paint and invite the in-between shots. They game-plan for opponents well. Smith early in the game changed Stanford's approach with her ability to pick and pop; against their on-ball screen defense, that is the big weakness or area to exploit.

In terms of specifics, they trail shooters around screens and dare shooters to curl and attack the basket; they ice side on-ball screens to contain penetration and keep the ball on one side of the court; they go over middle ball screens to take away the three and force the ball toward the basket where they have defenders waiting in help. They do not hedge on screens; they play their posts off clogging the middle, which is why posts who can shoot the 3 are the biggest weapon against their defense. They ignore non-shooters on the perimeter in order to clog the paint. They don't foul. They rebound. And they play hard. No real magic sauce, just getting all 5 players to buy into a smart defensive strategy, but one which few teams employ.

Oregon State, more than anyone, appears to have followed the UConn plan: recruit bigger guards with a premium on shooting when every other program is fascinated by small quick guards who dribble; recruit posts who can shoot and play position defense when every other program wants back to the basket posts and shot blockers. With big guards and posts who have good positioning, they take away open 3s and protect the rim and don't foul much. They dare teams to beat them with of the dribble jump shots or posts shooting 3s or trying to create with a lot of dribble penetration into multiple defenders.

The difference between UConn and Oregon State is that Gabby Williams has a little more defensive versatility than Gabbie Hanson, and defends more positions, and Samuelson shoots better than anyone on OSU, and Collier is far more versatile offensively than UConn(it should be than anyone on OSU). UConn's just a more talented team with top 10 players, but they have similar philosophies and recruit similar players, it's just that Oregon State is hoping to get top 100 talent within their philosophy and UConn's waiting for the #1 players who fit their philosophy.

It would be fascinating to see what Reuck would do if he took the USC or Tennessee or some other very high profile job where he could compete for top 10 players. Would he be patient and only recruit the ones who fit his system, like Geno, or would he compromise his system with access to top-ranked players, like Howland did once he started to have access to the best players and he recruited for ranking numbers, not his system?

Good summary. If OSU doesn't get more creative on the offensive side, they stand no chance against an equally solid defensive team. OSU has some other players who can score, Rueck didn't play them. Last nights game reminded me of the UCONN vs OSU game last year when Rueck refused to sit down Ruth Hamblin, after UCONN repeatedly had her player shoot OPEN 3's (and make them). Rueck's inflexibility to make game adjustments is going to kill a fantastic season. I love the guy, but if he doesn't step up his coaching over the next 10 days, OSU will get upset in the tournament. FYI: I was still very pleased with the OSU defensive effort last night, holding any good team under 50 is outstanding.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rueck has had a few top 10 type talent in his backyard and has struck out on all of it.
Mercedes Russell-TN: Kaliee Johnson- Stanford : Jamie Nared- TN : Evina Westbrook-TN
So before trying to recruit like Geno maybe he should try and be like Dawn and lock down the in-State talent first. The young lady (Cameron Brink) in this video for example is actually playing on the Oregon State Campus. She should be a major priority.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the eyes of the people that matter (the three refs), the call was a moving screen and the whistle had been blown before the OSU player had made contact with Karlie. Try learning the game and the rules that govern it before making foolish comments.

Reaction Score

Yes I do , but that doesn't matter because, I consider any post on this board ..... Please carry on!

Coco: I have a question. If you were to have a private conversation--how would you have conducted it??

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Hoping to bring some civility back to the topic. The poster, from the UCLA forum, who talked about Oregon State also gave his perspective on some other things, namely recruiting and game management. Some of them are related to OSU and UCLA players and teams. Interesting reading and thoughts.

1) Shooting matters

2) If you recruit for athleticism and quickness, you have to use that to your advantage: Create turnovers and offensive rebounds to compensate for poor shooting and lack of 3-point shooting (comparatively). I would press OSU full court. When Dangerfield is out for UConn, I would press full court. Make Weise or Fields handle the ball for 94 feet against a quicker, more athletic defender.

3) Play faster. You do not want to play against the shot clock against the better defensive teams. Get into offense earlier and attack quicker. This does not mean shooting with 20 seconds on the shot clock; this means having time for #4 and #8. Take good shots. Do not wait for perfect shots.

4) Make the defense defend multiple penetrations. I did not watch a lot of UCLA games, but those that I did, and the comments here, Canada is the primary ball handler and nobody else really attacks with the dribble. Maybe Burke. To beat a solid defense like this, you need multiple penetrations, not just one, unless you have great outside shooting. This is also why #3 is important; you need more time to have multiple penetrations. If you wait to penetrate until the shot clock is 10, you're playing against the clock and players tend to panic and take questionable shots.

5) Make midrange shots. If that's what they're going to give up, you have to make some to force them to change. Especially shots off penetration or in PnR situations.

6) Without a post who can shoot, use the post as a screener for a shooter. If their post is not going to help or hedge at all, set hard screens on their defenders on shooters.

7) Mix up sets with untraditional approaches; I'd clear out for Billings and allow her to use her athleticism from the elbow or even top of the key against their post defenders. Set guard to guard screens to create the matches that you want (if they switch those screens); they're unlikely to defend guard to guard screens in the same way, and if they do, the guar setting the screen will be open popping for a 3. So, use Korver as a screener for Canada, as an example, either to get a more favorable match up for Canada or to get an open shot for Korver.

8) Quicker motion. Get the ball from side to side. See Golden State. Again, #3. Give yourself a chance to create 2 or 3 openings, not just one.

9) You have to punish the players who do not defend their match up. That could be offensive rebounding, making midrange shots, setting multiple screens, etc., but you cannot allow one defender to play a one-person zone and not punish her. That makes the other four defenders that much more effective. If you can't punish that defender, substitute until you find a player who can.

Reaction Score
I liked the Stanford-Ore.St. game. No, it was not a display of offensive prowess by either team, but I thought both of them played hard. No approach to perfection on either side, but neither did I see anyone slacking off on the court. And the Stanford comeback was pretty cool: Slow but sure, no panic, just steady determination over quarters 2 thru 4.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That absolutely was a flop. Pivec is strong, but she ain't that strong. The refs bought it, but it's obvious there wasn't enough impact/momentum to launch Samuelson all the way across the key. You can deny it, but it doesn't change the fact it was a flop. The video clip proves it, not sure why you would post it to try to help your cause saying it's not a flop.

And illegal screen? Where are you getting that from? Nobody is screening anybody in that play.

Reaction Score
That was a nice game. I thought OSU was gonna run away with the game the way they started. Hats off to both programs.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
For your consideration, another sports definition of the word "flop" (in honor of Dick Fosbury's 70th birthday today!):

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom