Stanford-Oregon State | The Boneyard

Stanford-Oregon State

Reaction Score
This has become a real defensive battle. It's now 34-23, OSU, with Stanford coming on strong. Stanford is doing things that have bottled up the OSU offense. Of course, it helps that OSU has gone completely cold and its star, Sidney Wiese, is having a lousy game so far. OSU's defense is, by and large, decent, but Stanford is hitting shots now even tough ones.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
36-34 after 3 quarters. Stanford is catching up by scoring 11 points per quarter, because OSU is scoring only 7.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In addition to our game, I watched parts of the ND v. Duke, SC v. MSU, Maryland v. Purdue, and Stanford v. Oregon State games. The only team that impressed me was ND. So many teams are offensively challenged. I don't see them as serious threats.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hard to argue that. Notre Dame does look like the 2nd best team in the country right now (although I didn't watch Baylor today).

Reaction Score
Not impressed. Not even a little. But I did like the Samuelson fist-pump with Karlee (?) lying flat on her back.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To try to save a little bit of face, OSU and Stanford played 3 times this year, and all 3 games were pretty close to unbearable to watch. They look at least a little better when they aren't playing each other. They're almost like mirror images. Tough defenses and struggle to manufacture points sometimes.

Reaction Score
Certainly no offense that could impress, although you have to gave both teams credit for defense. In the end, it just seemed like two teams intent on gumming up each other's works. Stanford succeeded really well. Sidney Wiese, who is supposed to be wonderful, had a nothing night , shadowed by a really tenacious defender. Stanford's Australian center, Smith, did a number on the taller OSU players.

Reaction Score
In addition to our game, I watched parts of the ND v. Duke, SC v. MSU, Maryland v. Purdue, and Stanford v. Oregon State games. The only team that impressed me was ND. So many teams are offensively challenged. I don't see them as serious threats.

Defense matters ... Baylor the only team other then UCONN that has great defense and offense. SC only scored 59 today but that was agaisnt a team thats top 10 in to country in points allowed. Agaisnt other teams they have average 80.9 ppg without Coates so I'm not worried about them scoring wise. ND while being a geat offensive team isn't good defensively and the same goes for Maryland and they will struggle with teams that can score on par with them and also play good defense IMO.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hard to argue that. Notre Dame does look like the 2nd best team in the country right now (although I didn't watch Baylor today).

To my eye Notre Dame and Baylor are neck and neck. That will be one heckuva national semfinal game.

Plebe

Reaction Score
To try to save a little bit of face, OSU and Stanford played 3 times this year, and all 3 games were pretty close to unbearable to watch. They look at least a little better when they aren't playing each other. They're almost like mirror images. Tough defenses and struggle to manufacture points sometimes.
I thought the first game, which went to 2OT at Stanford, was more entertaining. Wiese was on fire and hit a ton of amazing shots. Unlike today :confused:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I thought the first game, which went to 2OT at Stanford, was more entertaining. Wiese was on fire and hit a ton of amazing shots. Unlike today :confused:

That game was fairly bad in regulation. A lot of drama w/ 2 OTs and definitely some clutch shooting and plays from both teams. McCall did almost nothing during regulation but came alive in the OT sessions for Stanford.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What about her flop?

That might've been the play of the game. Took away a Wiese 3 from the corner that I think would've cut it back to a 2 point lead and totally changed the complexion of the game.

Reaction Score
What about her flop?

Flop? Do you know the definition of the word as it pertains to basketball? As I saw it, she was floored on the play and it was hardly an act. Either way it would have been covered by my use of "all around play."

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I watched the Stanford - Oregon State game. If these are the two best teams in the Pac 12, my opinion of the conference remains unchanged. I don't see either making the elite Eight.

My God, neither team could shoot better than 33%? In a championship game? 91 points between them? And they just don't pass the eye test.

Maybe I'll be wrong and they'll both go to the Final Four. But I would bet against it. In fact, I think I will.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I watched the Stanford - Oregon State game. If these are the two best teams in the Pac 12, my opinion of the conference remains unchanged. I don't see either making the elite Eight.

My God, neither team could shoot better than 33%? In a championship game? 91 points between them? And they just don't pass the eye test.

Maybe I'll be wrong and they'll both go to the Final Four. But I would bet against it. In fact, I think I will.

Consider the fact that Oregon State and Stanford are 6th and 7th in the country in FG% defense (just ahead of UConn at 8th).
Consider as well that this was the 3rd time these teams have met. Good defensive teams benefit from familiarity with an opponent's offense.

First you said you don't see either making the Elite 8. But then you said you would bet against either team making the Final 4. Well, since neither of these teams will be a #1 seed, neither of them will be expected to make the Final 4. Not exactly an audacious bet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom