Stanford loses again... | The Boneyard

Stanford loses again...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hopefully, this locks up the #1 or #2 seed for UConn in Indiana.
This certainly doesn't do that.

First of all, the primary obstacles to a 1 or 2 seed in Ft. Wayne are Maryland and Louisville, not Stanford.

Secondly, a loss to Arizona (in overtime and on the road to boot) is not really harmful to Stanford's resume. Provided they can beat ASU on Sunday, a strong showing the Pac-12 tournament will far outweigh this result.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stanford is ranked 4th, Louisville is 5th. UConn is 6th. #13 Arizona is much better than any team UConn will play in the AAC. Plus the game went into overtime, and Stanford only lost by 1 point, 73-72 on the road. It would be different if Arizona was not ranked, and blew the Cardinal out. I'd leave UConn at 6. But I'm not on the committee.

The most I would do is maybe switch Stanford and Louisville. We all know Stanford is facing much better competition nightly than UConn is. UConn is a very long shot to get a #1 seed. Stanford and LV would both have to lose another game to an unranked team for UConn to have even a remote long shot at a #1 seed. Don't count on it. I agree with Charlie Creme that SC, Baylor, Oregon and possibly Maryland look like #1 seeds.

While UConn, Louisville, Stanford and NC State probably get #2 seeds, although Creme currently has Northwestern as a 2 seed in the Portland Region. :confused:

1582949985799.png

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

First of all, the primary obstacles to a 1 or 2 seed in Ft. Wayne are Maryland and Louisville, not Stanford.

Secondly, a loss to Arizona (in overtime and on the road to boot) is not really harmful to Stanford's resume. Provided they can beat ASU on Sunday, a strong showing the Pac-12 tournament will far outweigh this result.

If Northwestern wins out... defeating Iowa and Maryland in the Big 10 tourney.... could it be Louisville (assuming they win in Greensboro) and Northwestern in Fort Wayne?

Plebe

Reaction Score
If Northwestern wins out... defeating Iowa and Maryland in the Big 10 tourney.... could it be Louisville (assuming they win in Greensboro) and Northwestern in Fort Wayne?
Possibly. But I’m not sure Maryland loses that spot to Louisville even with a loss to NW.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stanford was ranked #4 by the AP with a record of 24-3. They now have a record of 24-5 so they are going to drop and people will not care that much that it was a 1 point OT loss - it was to a team outside the top 10. They may or may not win their last game on Sunday, but I would not be surprised even with another win if they are not drop 2 spaces for their two loses. They may drop below Maryland as well.

Voters are not always logical and wins and loses are more important in the top 10.

Reaction Score
Stanford was ranked #4 by the AP with a record of 24-3. They now have a record of 24-5 so they are going to drop and people will not care that much that it was a 1 point OT loss - it was to a team outside the top 10. They may or may not win their last game on Sunday, but I would not be surprised even with another win if they are not drop 2 spaces for their two loses. They may drop below Maryland as well.

Voters are not always logical and wins and loses are more important in the top 10.
If it was just Ws, UConn should have been a #1 last year.

Reaction Score
I enjoy going to Northwestern games - They are having a wonderful season - You can watch them beat Illinois tomorrow on TV for at least a share of the Big Ten title - But beating Iowa or Maryland - I don't see it

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting to note that with the loss and a likely UCLA win (up 14 with four minutes in the 4th) Stanford will be third in the Pac12 behind UCLA since UCLA won their only meeting.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting to note that with the loss and a likely UCLA win (up 14 with four minutes in the 4th) Stanford will be third in the Pac12 behind UCLA since UCLA won their only meeting.

They only use tie breakers for seeding in the conference tourney. UCLA and Stanford will be tied for 2nd.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UCLA had the *much* easier conference schedule, playing Stanford and the Oregons only once each (Stanford played the Oregons twice).

Amazing that UCLA will take the #2 seed even with "bad" losses to USC and Washington. Stanford lost to no one outside the top 4 in the conference, including two wins over Oregon State -- and they still have to go to Tempe on Sunday.

This is critical because the #3 seed will very likely face #6 Oregon State in the Pac-12 quarterfinals, as opposed to a team like USC.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UCLA had the *much* easier conference schedule, playing Stanford and the Oregons only once each (Stanford played the Oregons twice).

I might've been oblivious to it, but I can't remember the unbalanced scheduling ever giving a team this much of an advantage before.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ND used to complain about the BigE schedule that saw them playing Uconn twice each year. Rutgers did as well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I might've been oblivious to it, but I can't remember the unbalanced scheduling ever giving a team this much of an advantage before.
Not that they needed the help, but S. Carolina's schedule this year was home-heavy. They didn't have to travel to MSU, TAMU, LSU or Tennessee. They do play Kentucky and Arkansas twice FWIW.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not that they needed the help, but S. Carolina's schedule this year was home-heavy. They didn't have to travel to MSU, TAMU, LSU or Tennessee. They do play Kentucky and Arkansas twice FWIW.

You know me, I was being Pac 12 centric w/ that comment. ACC, SEC, Big 10, just too many teams, scheduling is pretty much an impossible proposition w/ more than 12 teams.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score

Amazing that UCLA will take the #2 seed even with "bad" losses to USC and Washington. Stanford lost to no one outside the top 4 in the conference, including two wins over Oregon State -- and they still have to go to Tempe on Sunday.

Stanford is 0-4 against the the top 4 (Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon) of the conference though. It's not enough to just lose and say "we lost to someone good. It shouldn't count." They have that big win over Mississippi State, but outside of that... their next best wins are Oregon State, though they did beat them twice.

UCLA does have an easier schedule, but they have one less loss and are 2-2 against the top 4 (Stanford, Oregon, Arizona). UCLA should have the last #2 seed, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Kudos to Adia Barnes who has taken a perennial doormat in Arizona and turned them into a formidable team in four short years! She is recruiting well too! She has a strong defensive team, several solid role players, a highly ranked power forward in Cate Reese, and a dynamic scorer in Ari McDonald! Next year she is bringing in another top player in Lauren Ware. Some really good things are happening in Arizona!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stanford is 0-4 against the the top 4 (Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon) of the conference though. It's not enough to just lose and say "we lost to someone good. It shouldn't count." They have that big win over Mississippi State, but outside of that... their next best wins are Oregon State, though they did beat them twice.

UCLA does have an easier schedule, but they have one less loss and are 2-2 against the top 4 (Stanford, Oregon, Arizona). UCLA should have the last #2 seed, in my opinion.
I was referring to the #2 seed in the Pac-12 tournament.

In terms of NCAA seeding, it's a really close call. UCLA has more top 50 wins and the big road win at Stanford. But they also have worse losses, including a sub-100 loss to Washington. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they could both be #2 seeds. The reveal on Monday will be *very* interesting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kudos to Adia Barnes who has taken a perennial doormat in Arizona and turned them into a formidable team in four short years! She is recruiting well too! She has a strong defensive team, several solid role players, a highly ranked power forward in Cate Reese, and a dynamic scorer in Ari McDonald! Next year she is bringing in another top player in Lauren Ware. Some really good things are happening in Arizona!

Another good transfer being added to the mix, too. Shaina Pellington from Oklahoma is sitting out this season.

Reaction Score
I don't get to watch much PAC 10 due to geography and game airings so I've only seen Oregon of the murderers row of the conference. These teams have beaten up on each other for sure so it will be interesting to see what happens in their conference tournament.

Teams are either battle tested or exhausted after going through a stretch like this prior to the NCAA tournament. I dare say Oregon is probably the best in the conference though the best doesn't always win.

Reaction Score
The only thing Uconn should be hoping for is to stay away from the big 3... Oregon, Baylor and South Carolina until the final four....

The only way to do this is to get a 1 seed (Which they won't get) or get the highest 2 seed. (Which they should get)

Either way, they won't beat the big 3 this year... Unless there is a miracle...

My bet is that this is Oregon's year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aari was the #51 player in her class per HoopGurlz. Though that is respectable, I think they missed on the low side.

Reaction Score

Two miracle finishes to beat oft beaten Colorado should hurt Stanford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom