Stanford loses again... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford loses again...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Two miracle finishes to beat oft beaten Colorado should hurt Stanford.
Ha wow you really are Colorado-centric.

it doesn’t work that way. Teams don’t get penalized for close wins. What does hurt them is losing to Texas, getting blown out by UCLA, and failing to close out Arizona.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Stanford was ranked #4 by the AP with a record of 24-3. They now have a record of 24-5 so they are going to drop and people will not care that much that it was a 1 point OT loss - it was to a team outside the top 10. They may or may not win their last game on Sunday, but I would not be surprised even with another win if they are not drop 2 spaces for their two loses. They may drop below Maryland as well.

Voters are not always logical and wins and loses are more important in the top 10.
If we are talking NCAA seedings, which seems to be the point of this thread, then AP voters are irrelevant. The committee, on the other hand, will definitely notice -- I believe I read that they also watch all matches between prospective top 16 teams. That said, I've felt all along that we are a low 2 seed at best and more probably a 3 seed. (And I could see us dropping to a 4 seed with a loss tomorrow and a QF loss in the PAC-12.)

Anyone who doesn't follow our schedule closely probably didn't realize how much of a gauntlet we had to end the regular season...I've thought that #4 rank was comically illusory.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If we are talking NCAA seedings, which seems to be the point of this thread, then AP voters are irrelevant. The committee, on the other hand, will definitely notice -- I believe I read that they also watch all matches between prospective top 16 teams. That said, I've felt all along that we are a low 2 seed at best and more probably a 3 seed. (And I could see us dropping to a 4 seed with a loss tomorrow and a QF loss in the PAC-12.)

Anyone who doesn't follow our schedule closely probably didn't realize how much of a gauntlet we had to end the regular season...I've thought that #4 rank was comically illusory.

Agreed. Rankings are largely a product of preseason expectations and arent taken into consideration by the committee. For example, how on earth is Northwestern only ranked 14 when their resume says they're strongly in the mix for the last #1 seed?

Stanford has dealt with a lot of injuries this year. With 3 of their best players out or not at 100%, it's a lot to overcome. I think they're solidly a 3 seed. No one will want them in their regional. They're still really talented and have big physical posts that make life difficult for most teams. I could definitely see Tara whipping up some magic and getting back to the Final Four again, even if it means they play at Baylor or SC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I never count out a Tara coached team but the Pac12 is certainly heavy with solid competition. Stanford has dealt with some injuries this year as well. I think three seed is as low as they go unless they end on a four game losing streak and a 2 seed is more likely. Be interesting this year as with 4 likely top 16 teams the Pac12 will be dispersed around the country.

Reaction Score
Agree never count them out. I’m excited to be heading to ASU to see Stanford play tomorrow.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Agree never count them out. I’m excited to be heading to ASU to see Stanford play tomorrow.
Enjoy, I was extremely impressed with them, on one of their runs I thought it was curtains for us. My wife hasn't been making the games and I texted her "and the deluge begins". They are good from 3 point land, and Williams was just highly impressive in a relatively quiet sort of way.

I am probably not going to go to the Cal game. I don't actually enjoy senior days, for whatever reason. And I am busy on Sundays.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The only thing Uconn should be hoping for is to stay away from the big 3... Oregon, Baylor and South Carolina until the final four....

The only way to do this is to get a 1 seed (Which they won't get) or get the highest 2 seed. (Which they should get)

Either way, they won't beat the big 3 this year... Unless there is a miracle...

My bet is that this is Oregon's year.
or the #5 overall which makes them the top #2 and plays against the #4 or bottom #1. If the S curve holds

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
or the #5 overall which makes them the top #2 and plays against the #4 or bottom #1. If the S curve holds
They through the S Curve out in favor of geography. A few years back. They do try to "balance the bracket" which is, of course, subject to interpretation. But you cannot predict match-ups based on the S-Curve, because on each line, the highest ranked team is "supposed" to be sent to the closest geographic location, and on through the other 3 teams on that line. In general, I don't like it, but I do get it.

Reaction Score
Aari was the #51 player in her class per HoopGurlz. Though that is respectable, I think they missed on the low side.
Shows how useless these rankings are. For a chuckle check out Brink at #3 and Edwards at #26. Edwards would chew her up.

Reaction Score
UConn will be the #1 seed in Fort Wayne, there is NO way Maryland will get a #1 seed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UConn will be the #1 seed in Fort Wayne, there is NO way Maryland will get a #1 seed.
What makes you so certain of this?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maryland will lose again. I see them losing in their conference tournament.
I would be perfectly happy if the Huskies were a #1 or #2 seed in Ft Wayne. I’m looking for MD and/or Louisville losing in their conference tournaments to clear the way for UConn to book a trip to scenic Ft Wayne, IN.

Reaction Score
Assuming we are a 2 seed, one of the keys to which regional we will be in is the conference composition of the other 2 seeds. For example, if Md is the final #1, and Northwestern is a #2, then that improves our chances of going to Fort Wayne as Northwestern wont go up against MD. We will find out Monday a lot about our odds with the NCAA reveal.

Reaction Score
Stanford is ranked 4th, Louisville is 5th. UConn is 6th. #13 Arizona is much better than any team UConn will play in the AAC. Plus the game went into overtime, and Stanford only lost by 1 point, 73-72 on the road. It would be different if Arizona was not ranked, and blew the Cardinal out. I'd leave UConn at 6. But I'm not on the committee.

The most I would do is maybe switch Stanford and Louisville. We all know Stanford is facing much better competition nightly than UConn is. UConn is a very long shot to get a #1 seed. Stanford and LV would both have to lose another game to an unranked team for UConn to have even a remote long shot at a #1 seed. Don't count on it. I agree with Charlie Creme that SC, Baylor, Oregon and possibly Maryland look like #1 seeds.

While UConn, Louisville, Stanford and NC State probably get #2 seeds, although Creme currently has Northwestern as a 2 seed in the Portland Region. :confused:

View attachment 51343
I wonder how much better Arizona is than DePaul? Could make an argument here as far as UCONNs positioning, understanding of course the PAC12 competition as opposed to that of the Big East...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would be perfectly happy if the Huskies were a #1 or #2 seed in Ft Wayne. I’m looking for MD and/or Louisville losing in their conference tournaments to clear the way for UConn to book a trip to scenic Ft Wayne, IN.

Who is Louisville going to lose to in the ACC tournament?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom