Stanford falls again! | The Boneyard

Stanford falls again!

Reaction Score
I wonder if a team ranked number 1 has ever lost back-to-back games?

Reaction Score
These two losses give Geno an opportunity to gain on Tara in the “Coaching Wins” derby which Vowel Guy usually monitors.

Tara ended the truncated 2019-20 season at 1094 wins. Geno ended at 1091. Tara got off to a fast start this season with very few missed games, surpassed Pat’s number a while ago and is now at 1105. Geno got off to a slow start, but has started to make up some ground and is at 1100.

If my numbers are right and all postponed games are, in fact, made up, Stanford has 11 more games left on their regular season schedule and UConn has 14 games left. If both schools “ran the table” Tara would end up with 1116 wins and Geno at 1114 wins going into the league and national tournaments. UConn has two tough games with Arkansas and SC coming up. Stanford still has to play Oregon and Arizona in before the tournaments start and some mix of Oregon, Arizona or UCLA in the PAC-12 Tournament. I don’t know what the rest of you think; but I believe that by the time the National Tournament rolls around Geno will probably be at least tied with Tara.

Vowel Guy, I hope you pick this up again. With Barbara Stevens retirement it has pretty much boiled down to a two horse race.

Reaction Score
These two losses give Geno an opportunity to gain on Tara in the “Coaching Wins” derby which Vowel Guy usually monitors.

Tara ended the truncated 2019-20 season at 1094 wins. Geno ended at 1091. Tara got off to a fast start this season with very few missed games, surpassed Pat’s number a while ago and is now at 1105. Geno got off to a slow start, but has started to make up some ground and is at 1100.

If my numbers are right and all postponed games are, in fact, made up, Stanford has 11 more games left on their regular season schedule and UConn has 14 games left. If both schools “ran the table” Tara would end up with 1116 wins and Geno at 1114 wins going into the league and national tournaments. UConn has two tough games with Arkansas and SC coming up. Stanford still has to play Oregon and Arizona in before the tournaments start and some mix of Oregon, Arizona or UCLA in the PAC-12 Tournament. I don’t know what the rest of you think; but I believe that by the time the National Tournament rolls around Geno will probably be at least tied with Tara.

Vowel Guy, I hope you pick this up again. With Barbara Stevens retirement it has pretty much boiled down to a two horse race.
I don’t think all postponed games will be made up. In fact, I think there are more postponements ahead.

isn’t Stanford basically playing every game away from home? That makes a toughened team come tournament time.

nevertheless, Geno will surpass her eventually

Reaction Score
I watched the game. Both teams very impressive. Great offensive rebounding by UCLA. Stanford is incredibly deep. Both teams very athletic and aggressive. Both teams run good offense and are confident. Similarly both teams are very good on defense. I think both teams are ahead of where we are at this point. The point guard play was also very impressive for both teams. Both penetrating guards which I think would give us trouble. Very good game to watch.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the box score.... Onyenwere (one of my favorite players this year) shot 5-22 and Osborne shot 9-22. However they had 10 and rebounds respectively. Jones, Belibi, Prechtel, and Brink got owned on the glass. Someone better teach them how to rebound

Reaction Score
Tough loss for Stanford. They shot 50%, but only 2-10 from 3 and also gave up 21 offensive rebounds. Still, I think Stanford has to be considered a final four contender along with UCLA.

Reaction Score
They both could be final 4 along with Oregon now with Sedona Prince back. A lot of 6ft 7 players coming into women's college BB. I watched Syracuse vs Louisville and the Syracuse center was 6'7 and a freshmen and she was goooood. Ran the court extremely well. Women's college BB is getting bigger and bigger. We finally are recruiting some bigs but are they big enough.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They both could be final 4 along with Oregon now with Sedona Prince back. A lot of 6ft 7 players coming into women's college BB. I watched Syracuse vs Louisville and the Syracuse center was 6'7 and a freshmen and she was goooood. Ran the court extremely well. Women's college BB is getting bigger and bigger. We finally are recruiting some bigs but are they big enough.
If you are a UConn fan, the answer is yes.

Reaction Score
I watched the game. Both teams very impressive. Great offensive rebounding by UCLA. Stanford is incredibly deep. Both teams very athletic and aggressive. Both teams run good offense and are confident. Similarly both teams are very good on defense. I think both teams are ahead of where we are at this point. The point guard play was also very impressive for both teams. Both penetrating guards which I think would give us trouble. Very good game to watch.
Not good. While concerned about quick, penetrating guards, after the TN game I am most concerned with good offensive rebounding teams.

Reaction Score
Did not see the game but box score shows at least 3 Stanford players, Jones, Belebi and Brink with 4 fouls and low minutes. That would seem to have been the key to the game. Foul happy refs? or Stanford had to foul trying to get rebounds???

Reaction Score
I had feared the virus would hand Tara a few more games lead, due to Uconn's cancellations. That happened, but I didn't realize that because of rescheduled games Uconn may have more remaining games on their schedule now. So maybe Geno can still pull within striking distance this year.

This will gather much more attention when Geno is within a game of catching Tara. We used to expect Geno to pick up maybe 4-5 games on Tara over the last 20 years or so, but while our prospects look very good for the next few years, so do theirs. They could only lose 2-3 games a year, where we pick up maybe 1-2 during the regular season, and potentially another one if we advance further in the tournament.

Maybe not this year but it is conceivable that in the next couple of years Geno and Tara could meet in the Final 4 with one of them within one game of the other.

Reaction Score
It was expected that the Pac 12 teams would be beating each other up. When you play more teams that are capable of beating you on any given night, the odds that they will catch you on one of those nights increases exponentially. Oregon had a series of games where they shot badly and it cost them some wins.

Reaction Score
I watched the game and thought it was raggedly played. As Dick Vitale would say you could build a Mall with the bricks they were shooting.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why is it so important for Geno to catch up and pass Tara in victories? Geno indicated it was not concerning him. As long as UConn continues to win does it really matter if he catches Tara? If coach Summit was still coaching ,as Geno said he wishes she was, he would have a lot more games to win to catch her. Just saying.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wonder if a team ranked number 1 has ever lost back-to-back games?
Possibly Tennessee, in 1996-97. They were defending champions. That was a 10 loss season but they sti won the championship that year

Reaction Score
You’re right. The UConn - Providence game has not been rescheduled yet and there could still be more delays. The good news is the vaccination program is cranking up, out here at least. My wife and I received our first shot a week ago. We get our second shot on Valentines Day(How romantic, eh?). One local shot center is running 1500+ shots per day.

Stanford is playing its ”home games” at the Kaiser Arena here in Santa Cruz. We are ~45 minutes from Palo Alto (that’s only a couple minutes further than XL is from Storrs).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the box score.... Onyenwere (one of my favorite players this year) shot 5-22 and Osborne shot 9-22. However they had 10 and rebounds respectively. Jones, Belibi, Prechtel, and Brink got owned on the glass. Someone better teach them how to rebound
Wait, what? You didn’t watch but then immediately want to state opinions based on your interpretation of a box score? No, this was a great game where UCLA looked better than any game this season.
angry andy richter GIF by Team Coco

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
It was expected that the Pac 12 teams would be beating each other up. When you play more teams that are capable of beating you on any given night, the odds that they will catch you on one of those nights increases exponentially. Oregon had a series of games where they shot badly and it cost them some wins.
Truth to what you say, it should also be considered that UCLA is a bit better than we have given them credit for while Stanford is not as infallible as many outside of the BY thought them to be. It is tough to be the best night in and night out. I think this just highlights how great the undefeated Huskies of old were.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? You didn’t watch but then immediately want to state opinions based on your interpretation of a box score? No, this was a great game where UCLA looked better than any game this season.
angry andy richter GIF by Team Coco
Well, NCAA NET doesn’t watch games either. No eyeball test involved.

oregon is number 4 based solely on stats like you get in a box score ( and a closed sos system like the PAC this year.)

Reaction Score
I think the question is are they big and ATHLETIC enough. The athleticism of the game is on a huge up tick.
Cardoso is BIG and she is athletic for her size. She runs the floor like a gazelle for her size. I've never seen someone her size move with that much quickness. She hasn't really figured out how to utilize her quickness other than the fast break, but she's a Freshman.

Reaction Score
We should recruit someone who's 7' tall to satisfy all those obsessed with having a lot of size in our lineup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom