Stanford, Duke... education blah blah blah | The Boneyard

Stanford, Duke... education blah blah blah

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
dont you want a dang NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

all these sisters following each other, time for one to break the cycle!

you can always get an education... but you get only 4 chances at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Yup. And a national championship and two bucks might get you a cup of coffee.

Reaction Score

you can always get an education... but you get only 4 chances at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

glad to see you are a gracious winner DD. First, it is not accurate to compare Duke and Stanford on either academic admissions or bball accomplishments. Second, it is a slap in the face to all the Stanford players who competed for a NC. Third, most of the Stanford players have accomplished more than about 90% other bball programs, and they will have a Stanford degree on top of it. Given the current admission rate (6.6%), having a Stanford degree is not chump change. Lastly, Nneka was WNBA #1 pick and ROY, and Chiney will follow suit, and while they both earn Master's degrees. They will both probably be Olympians, too. I'd say they've done quiet well. Same for Ruef, who earned a Masters, James getting accepted to Columbia's NP program, etc, etc.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
glad to see you are a gracious winner DD. First, it is not accurate to compare Duke and Stanford on either academic admissions or bball accomplishments. Second, it is a slap in the face to all the Stanford players who competed for a NC. Third, most of the Stanford players have accomplished more than about 90% other bball programs, and they will have a Stanford degree on top of it. Given the current admission rate (6.6%), having a Stanford degree is not chump change. Lastly, Nneka was WNBA #1 pick and ROY, and Chiney will follow suit, and while they both earn Master's degrees. They will both probably be Olympians, too. I'd say they've done quiet well. Same for Ruef, who earned a Masters, James getting accepted to Columbia's NP program, etc, etc.

why so serious cat.jpg

I think DaddyChoc (not doggydaddy) was just being facetious with his post... ... I could be wrong though

JS

Reaction Score
glad to see you are a gracious winner DD.
Or maybe a winner with a sense of humor.

Bunch of rather ponderous responses to a lighthearted post, IMO.

Of course I could be thinking what I think DC is thinking while he's thinking more ponderously than I think he's thinking, in which event I'll have to rethink.

In that event I'll make amends to you by agreeing with your pet thesis. Let's see if I've got it right.

1. Stanford's restrictive admissions policies give it a smaller pool of available good players.

2. Because Stanford can admit fewer good players, the injuries suffered by its teams are a better excuse when Stanford doesn't win than they are for other teams that suffer an admittedly comparable number of injuries.

3. Why? Because, while the injuries on the other squads must needs, because of their less restrictive admissions policies, strike players who are on average better players, the remaining uninjured players on those squads are also, on average, better players.

4. Therefore, the remaining uninjured players on other squads should be expected to win more often than can be expected of Stanford's remaining uninjured players, and injuries are a better excuse for Stanford.​

I think I just proved that teams with more good players can be expected to win more games than teams with fewer good players.

But maybe I should be proving instead that injuries are more likely to strike Stanford's smaller number of restrictively admitted good players than its larger number of restrictively admitted not-as-good players.

If you want me to prove that instead, or additionally, let me know.

On the other hand, maybe it's best I stick to lighthearted posts like DC's that don't make my head hurt.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yup. And a national championship and two bucks might get you a cup of coffee.
Not exactly true. If you are a key player on a NCAA team it can open a lot of doors and opportunities. From that point on the work ethic and character you learn at UCONN can go a long way and multiply the value of your education.

Reaction Score
Stanford players get out of college what they put into going there... Outstanding young women go to UCONN as well and get out of that experience what they put into that experience... You seriously think Steph Dolson would have been better positioned in life if she had gone to Duke or Stanford?

Reaction Score
Stanford players get out of college what they put into going there... Outstanding young women go to UCONN as well and get out of that experience what they put into that experience... You seriously think Steph Dolson would have been better positioned in life if she had gone to Duke or Stanford?

Given the more national nature of those schools' alumni bases, maybe she would be. We will never know. But one of the great things abount the women's game is that, regardless of school, 99% of the players are around 4 years and are actual college students. The discipline and work ethic instilled by having to combine academic work and athletics serves them well no matter what.

Reaction Score
Given the more national nature of those schools' alumni bases, maybe she would be. We will never know. But one of the great things abount the women's game is that, regardless of school, 99% of the players are around 4 years and are actual college students. The discipline and work ethic instilled by having to combine academic work and athletics serves them well no matter what.
Such an elitist attitude... So a student is better off spending 200 grand for an education at a school like Stanford or Duke rather than going to a state school and emerging with far less debt. it is attitudes like this that have led to college loans being the largest source of consumer debt in our country and seriously hampering economic recovery.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Got me on your mind, Cardfan?

Do you ever tire of the same whining you've been doing for years. Yes whining.

Your response was so over the top based on the simple plea to have the last Samuelson come to Uconn made by DC.

I'm sure the loss hurt. So, Why are you on a Uconn board trolling?

Reaction Score
Such an elitist attitude... So a student is better off spending 200 grand for an education at a school like Stanford or Duke rather than going to a state school and emerging with far less debt. it is attitudes like this that have led to college loans being the largest source of consumer debt in our country and seriously hampering economic recovery.

How is it up there on your high horse?

These players all got scholarships so they will not have 200k in debt.

Reaction Score

You get to pick your college, you can't pick your sister(I speak from experience).

Reaction Score

Um, it's called a scholarship. These players owe nothing upon graduation.

Oh, by the way, I note that all but 1 of UConn's players are from out of state. Out of state tuition, room and board, etc for UConn is north of $45,000 per year; that's what the taxpayers of Connecticut are paing for Dolson and Stewart and Hartley, etc.

Reaction Score
A good friend of mine(she isn't an athlete)attends Stanford on a full-ride scholarship.
However in the long run, your education will benefit you more than whether you were a great athlete or not. That's why the 'student' in student-athlete comes first.

Reaction Score
Um, it's called a scholarship. These players owe nothing upon graduation.

Oh, by the way, I note that all but 1 of UConn's players are from out of state. Out of state tuition, room and board, etc for UConn is north of $45,000 per year; that's what the taxpayers of Connecticut are paing for Dolson and Stewart and Hartley, etc.
UCONN WBB is a self sufficient sport. Revenue more than $10 million and profit about $4 million, which more than covers its expenses and returns some to the U., which relieves the taxpayers of CT instead of costing them.

Reaction Score
It has been said many times before that the name on a degree opens the first and maybe the second door. After that it is about performance in the workplace.
I think it's more than the name on the degree. Stanford really is a place for truly gifted students to prepare to achieve their full potential. Things like Chiney having Condy Rice as her academic advisor are probably difficult to get at UCONN and most state schools. Stanford is a true research university as opposed to a diploma factory, and the students get exposed to the top minds in their fields.

That said, I don't buy restrictive admissions as an excuse to not recruit as much top talent as they can. It doesn't seem to hurt them in football, with ~80 team members instead of 11-12. They're smart there at Stanford, right? So I gotta think if they prioritized it they could figure this out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think it's more than the name on the degree. Stanford really is a place for truly gifted students to prepare to achieve their full potential. Things like Chiney having Condy Rice as her academic advisor are probably difficult to get at UCONN and most state schools. Stanford is a true research university as opposed to a diploma factory, and the students get exposed to the top minds in their fields.

That said, I don't buy restrictive admissions as an excuse to not recruit as much top talent as they can. It doesn't seem to hurt them in football, with ~80 team members instead of 11-12. They're smart there at Stanford, right? So I gotta think if they prioritized it they could figure this out.

As I said that all opens the doors to start but if your work record and job performance don't show your value companies don't care.

Reaction Score

Stanford admissions policies are relaxed a little for football. So are Notre Dame's. Same with Duke's for MBB. However, what these schools don't do is admit kids who have absolutely no chance of doing the required academic work; that cannot be said at many public school powerhouses. Like I said, one of the great things about WBB (and women's sports in general) is that the players do stick around and graduate and the women are much better off for it.

Reaction Score
UCONN WBB is a self sufficient sport. Revenue more than $10 million and profit about $4 million, which more than covers its expenses and returns some to the U., which relieves the taxpayers of CT instead of costing them.

I'll take your word on UConn WBB profitability, but they are one of the very, very few programs that can say that. My real point to TeacherDeb is that state schhols are not the bargain people make them out to be when one heads out of state; the Stanfords and NDs and Dukes of the world, because of their huge endowments, give boatloads of money to students to attend. In Stanford's case, if you make under $100K, you pay no tuition, only room and board. The trick there is you have to be admitted.

Reaction Score
Stanford admissions policies are relaxed a little for football. So are Notre Dame's. Same with Duke's for MBB. However, what these schools don't do is admit kids who have absolutely no chance of doing the required academic work; that cannot be said at many public school powerhouses. Like I said, one of the great things about WBB (and women's sports in general) is that the players do stick around and graduate and the women are much better off for it.
I agree, but don't think it's because WBB is somehow intrinsically more wholesome and is run by better people with pure hearts. If WBB became a revenue producing sport for most NCAA institutions then they would relax the admission standards for it too. And if it became really lucrative like football, then the universities who give football and mens BB scholarships to athletes with no chance of fulfilling the academic requirements would do the same for WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom