Stanford beat UW 72 - 68 | The Boneyard

Stanford beat UW 72 - 68

Reaction Score
Romeo was all over karlie. must be her only job tonight.after 23 attempts last game, 4 only in this game making none. plum was 7/7 behind the arc before missing the most important one.

Reaction Score
Osahor shot 1 for 10, I note. Was she simply off today, or did someone do a really good defensive job on her?

Plum-bob was a beast as she usually is, though. 7-8 from the three point line? Why not? :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Plum had 44 on high percentage shooting. The rest of the team had only 24 combined and shot an abysmal 6-37. As noted, Osahor shot 1-10. Romeo was scoreless.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Today's win for Stanford was VanDerveer's 999th win. Does Tara catch and pass Pat in total wins before she retires?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Osahor shot 1 for 10, I note. Was she simply off today, or did someone do a really good defensive job on her?

Plum-bob was a beast as she usually is, though. 7-8 from the three point line? Why not? :D

And Plum's only missed 3 was the one that would've tied the game at the end.

You could say that Osahor was off. She only made one 3, and she missed all her attempts in the paint although she was being bodied up and contested on each of those attempts. She got the line quite a bit, but only converted 6 of 10 free throws. Stanford did play great D on her, but she was also getting frustrated that contact by her defender wasn't being called a foul. I think that because of Osahor's size and strength, referees somehow don't see (or simply choose not to call) all the fouling she's subjected to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An important note not previously mentioned was that Stanford trailed by 18 points earlier in the game and 45-33 at halftime.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stanford with 4 players in double figures and Washington with just 1. No mystery why Stanford won.

We frequently assume that Muffet is the 2nd best coach in the country, but Tara really does an outstanding job preparing her team against top competition.

Reaction Score
I see these two teams as rather interchangeable. Not much difference in terms of rankings. Strikes me that Washington is highly vulnerable to being beaten by several good teams, as they are dependent on Plum to an unhealthy degree.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I see these two teams as rather interchangeable. Not much difference in terms of rankings. Strikes me that Washington is highly vulnerable to being beaten by several good teams, as they are dependent on Plum to an unhealthy degree.
I would go one step further and say Ore St, UW, Stan are interchangeable and only slightly better than the next 4 teams in the PAC12. While deep in competition, the conference top end is behind all the other conference leaders. In fact the PAC 12 does not have many signature wins.

Reaction Score

That's probably why they were ranked 7 & 10 before the game, Stanford being the latter. I've seen Washington play a much better balanced game several times this season, and had they done this in the second half it most likely wouldn't have been close. The problem with playing on a team where one player is the only feature, the other four just stop playing to a major degree.

Reaction Score
I would go one step further and say Ore St, UW, Stan are interchangeable and only slightly better than the next 4 teams in the PAC12. While deep in competition, the conference top end is behind all the other conference leaders. In fact the PAC 12 does not have many signature wins.

Hmm, I wouldn't bet your bottom dollar on that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Today's win for Stanford was VanDerveer's 999th win. Does Tara catch and pass Pat in total wins before she retires?
IMHO, short answer yes. Slightly longer answer, she's 99 wins behind Pat now. Stanford has 8 games left. Maybe 4 games in the Pac 12 tourney and 4 or 5 in the NCAA's. assuming they win 13 or so of those, it puts her at 1012. She could not catch Pat the next 2 seasons after that, so it would be the 3rd season. I think Tara stay around for at least 5 more years - don't see her going anywhere and no reason she should.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plum was spectacular but the rest of the team was not involved enough to secure a win. Having one player score 2/3 of your points is typically not a recipe for success against a good team.

This game was unusual in this regard. Plum has actually been great this year at getting her teammates involved just enough and finding the right balance between scoring and facilitating. But I can't stress it enough: in this game all her teammates (except Osahor, to some degree) just played awful, especially in the second half. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters there were several times — and even the commentators noted this — that she passed to a teammate who then flubbed the shot rather than just take what would've been a likely 2 points herself.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This game was unusual in this regard. Plum has actually been great this year at getting her teammates involved just enough and finding the right balance between scoring and facilitating. But I can't stress it enough: in this game all her teammates (except Osahor, to some degree) just played awful, especially in the second half. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters there were several times — and even the commentators noted this — that she passed to a teammate who then flubbed the shot rather than just take what would've been a likely 2 points herself.
But the other poster who commented about teammates not being as productive as they could be when you have a major go-to is also correct, Rutgers experienced it many times. It is a mental thing. So perhaps part of the reason those players flubbed shots was a subconscious expectation of Plum pulling it out.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Stanford did play great D on her, but she was also getting frustrated that contact by her defender wasn't being called a foul. I think that because of Osahor's size and strength, referees somehow don't see (or simply choose not to call) all the fouling she's subjected to.
Referees in the PAC12 don't call scrums involving guards or banging regarding post players. But touch a player's arm no matter how daintily and whether or not it affects a shot and you can count on the foul.

Or so it seems from the games I have attended.

Wish I could have seen this game last night, PAC12 is, as we all know, not on DirecTV.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum shot 63%. How can you not have her shoot? She's a beast. Without her, Washington would not be on anyone's radar. She certainly is a leading candidate for NPOY.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum shot 63%. How can you not have her shoot? She's a beast. Without her, Washington would not be on anyone's radar. She certainly is a leading candidate for NPOY.

Where do you see anyone suggesting that she not shoot? Plum will most likely win NPOY. However, basketball is a team game and running an offense the way they did against Stanford led to their demise. Not keeping all your teammates involved and contributing won't be successful in the long haul and led to this defeat.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Where do you see anyone suggesting that she not shoot? Plum will most likely win NPOY. However, basketball is a team game and running an offense the way they did against Stanford led to their demise. Not keeping all your teammates involved and contributing won't be successful in the long haul and led to this defeat.
Also contributing to their loss was the ability to keep Osahor from hurting them offensively by using offside help once she put the ball on the floor down low, and taking her early on the perimeter preventing shots and good passes. They also worked Plum on both ends of the floor which helped slow her down at the end of the 3rd and the 4th. Although they didn't do it in the 1st half, they also ran the shooters off the perimeter forcing Plum and Romeo to put the ball on the floor to score. 2's instead of 3's. In the 2nd half it kept Romeo off the scoreboard and force Plum to use more energy to score. Stanford also pushed the pace in the offensive end. Most of the things, okay so I'm patting myself on the back, that I've long said were necessary to beat Washington. The offside help as well as trapping Plum in the corners was Tara's brilliance. However I thought they should have run Osahor even more. UConn would do all of these plus run Osahor into the locker room. The truth was this strategy turned Washington into a one dimensional team. Plum, Plum and more Plum.

Reaction Score
Plum has 44 pt but UW lost to Stanford's team work.
K. Samuelson made 2 FTs at the end secured Stanford's win.

Stanford vs. Washington - Box Score - January 29, 2017 - ESPN
Plum will get Scorer of the year----Geno has address this particular thing in the past--
and had similar result, as Stanford, by : letting the big gun (Plum) get as many points as she can--while shutting down the other scorers. The distribution of points among uW players surely shows Geno was correct.
Thanks Kaizen!!

Reaction Score
Also contributing to their loss was the ability to keep Osahor from hurting them offensively by using offside help once she put the ball on the floor down low, and taking her early on the perimeter preventing shots and good passes. They also worked Plum on both ends of the floor which helped slow her down at the end of the 3rd and the 4th. Although they didn't do it in the 1st half, they also ran the shooters off the perimeter forcing Plum and Romeo to put the ball on the floor to score. 2's instead of 3's. In the 2nd half it kept Romeo off the scoreboard and force Plum to use more energy to score. Stanford also pushed the pace in the offensive end. Most of the things, okay so I'm patting myself on the back, that I've long said were necessary to beat Washington. The offside help as well as trapping Plum in the corners was Tara's brilliance. However I thought they should have run Osahor even more. UConn would do all of these plus run Osahor into the locker room. The truth was this strategy turned Washington into a one dimensional team. Plum, Plum and more Plum.

It isn't necessary to reply to me in order to simply enhance and/or elaborate on what I've already offered. You do know that you can post whatever you wish to say without having to reply directly to someone right??? You do this all the time, that's why I'm questioning it. By the way, contrary to your statement, Romeo (who has been shooting & scoring lights out recently) didn't score in the game at all (o-4). Neither did Collier (0-5). You're trying much to hard to prove to people here that you have knowledge about the game of basketball. Relax, we get it. :)

Reaction Score
Stanford with 4 players in double figures and Washington with just 1. No mystery why Stanford won.

We frequently assume that Muffet is the 2nd best coach in the country, but Tara really does an outstanding job preparing her team against top competition.
Tara --is an excellent Div 1 coach--recruits really well--tends to get many home grown talented players. She has surprised Uconn a couple of times--sometimes with Uconn's help. I'd rank her 4th Geno, Muffet/Dawn (interchangeable in 2/3) and Tara.
Even great coaches when the recruiting years are not good--are not really successful--as Geno has shown--he has pulled a paltry 30 wins some years--just think how happy Ollie would be to pull 20-25 wins each year!!

Reaction Score
Plum's inability to get her teammates involved need not be heaped upon her--Tara's game plan may have impacted that significantly. I'd love to see the replay---how much of the flubbed passes was due to nerves and how much to defense!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom