Stanford at Tennessee 3pm TV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford at Tennessee 3pm TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I missed the game driving home...
You mean they actually won w/o Ms.D?
Wowsa

Suppose she comes back and they start to lose again?

I didn't know that Tennessee was East; have they moved? :)

I you are Arkansas and West --Tenn is East!! From here it's south!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Good win for TN which most likely assures them entry to the tournament with a win against a top 10 team. I was very disappointed in Stanford's play...only 6 assists??? What happened to Tara brilliant offensive planning...I guess there is a good reason why she does not want to play UConn :)
This was their first game after a long layoff.

Reaction Score
Stanford is real good. When the offense is flowing. When a team stops the rhythm of the offense they struggle.

Respectfully disagree. Not seeing how "real good" is applicable anymore since they just lost to the equivalent of a raging dumpster fire rolling downhill. And not just any hill, but this hill.
Nob-Hill.jpg

Reaction Score
It was an interesting game. An excellent win for the LV's and Holly. The next step is to extend her contract immediately. Critical to do that before the next game!

For most of the 1st quarter, Tennessee looked like the worst team in Women's BB while Stanford was cruising . Then, like magic, they reversed personas. I can't remember seeing anything quite like it. Stanford became the bumbling, inept team that was Tennessee.

Holly's coaching strategy was simple, but effective. Offense - give the ball to Diamond to titillate the crowd with her stellar athleticism and disappoint through her penchant for turnovers and inexplicable errors such as air balls. Defense simple and obvious - pass the ball to Mercedes to dare the in-foul-trouble McCall to try stopping the layup.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It was an interesting game. An excellent win for the LV's and Holly. The next step is to extend her contract immediately. Critical to do that before the next game!

For most of the 1st quarter, Tennessee looked like the worst team in Women's BB while Stanford was cruising . Then, like magic, they reversed personas. I can't remember seeing anything quite like it. Stanford became the bumbling, inept team that was Tennessee.

Holly's coaching strategy was simple, but effective. Offense - give the ball to Diamond to titillate the crowd with her stellar athleticism and disappoint through her penchant for turnovers and inexplicable errors such as air balls. Defense simple and obvious - pass the ball to Mercedes to dare the in-foul-trouble McCall to try stopping the layup.

Yup, a stinker. Stanford just plain stopped running coherent offense and it had little to do with what Tenn was doing. Check the stats: both teams shot pretty badly.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Some on Twitter are saying there's a East Coast Bias against West Coast Basketball. For the most part I agree as Voters don't see the West Coast Teams. After watching UCLA vs So. Carolina and Stanford vs Lady Vols, if they are the two best teams on the West Coast then the West Coast teams are overrated. While not unexpected that UCLA would lose to So Carolina, it was how they played that was disconcerting. The same applies to Stanford who should have beaten the Lady Vols. When the game was in doubt, it appears the Stanford players were hesitant to take shots.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Tenn fans will be happy but there is still no offense being run. The difference is that Tennessee has better one on one players and Stanford can't throw the ball in the ocean from a boat today.

Lobo disagrees and pointed to the offensive improvements in her commentary. Also, in the game against TX, commentator Dan Hughes noted that the quality of ball being played by both teams during the 2nd half was high. He noted both teams had improved quite a bit since the start of the season.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Some on Twitter are saying there's a East Coast Bias against West Coast Basketball. For the most part I agree as Voters don't see the West Coast Teams. After watching UCLA vs So. Carolina and Stanford vs Lady Vols, if they are the two best teams on the West Coast then the West Coast teams are overrated. While not unexpected that UCLA would lose to So Carolina, it was how they played that was disconcerting. The same applies to Stanford who should have beaten the Lady Vols. When the game was in doubt, it appears the Stanford players were hesitant to take shots.

I am betting Washington is the best West Coast team and that would be due to the play of Kelsey Plum, who I think is currently playing as well as anyone in the nation. Leading them to the final 4 was no accident.

As for Stanford being hesitant, that's called defense. The changing and aggressive defenses kept them confused.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Diamond was playing with torn ligaments in her shooting hand, but it didn't stop her from giving all she could. Of note, there were 4 players in double figures, so that doesn't fit your description of give the ball to Diamond. Turnovers, she only had 3. She was rusty entering the season, because she was shut down over the summer. You have no idea what that young lady has endured. But yeah, keep the hate alive.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lobo disagrees and pointed to the offensive improvements in her commentary. Also, in the game against TX, commentator Dan Hughes noted that the quality of ball being played by both teams during the 2nd half was high. He noted both teams had improved quite a bit since the start of the season.
I love Rebecca but disagree with her. The LVs stood around a lot or drove into multiple defenders more often than not. Most of the scoring was from transition baskets or one on one play. The LV offense, such is it is, is the same it's been all season. It's just putting lipstick on the pig that the shots actually went in last night.

And Stanford, holy cow, it looked like they completely forgot how to play basketball.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. Not seeing how "real good" is applicable anymore since they just lost to the equivalent of a raging dumpster fire rolling downhill. And not just any hill, but this hill. View attachment 17764
My comment was more about the offense from Stanford. They normally run a real good offense. As for Tennessee this season still has a long way from being over. Then next year a outstanding class comes in. Also Copper returns next year.

Reaction Score
I don't think an ESPN commentator is going to just come right out and say that Tennessee plays no perceptible offense. Even if the SECN affiliation is not a factor, they're trying to promote the game - they can't just say, "both teams suck."

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Margo speaks... (horrible lighting)

Margo took a dig at South Carolina's K. Davis. She didn't score that many in the S.C. game
D. DeShields disappears in games also...
Now, I got to circle S.C. vs Tenn on the calender

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good win for TN which most likely assures them entry to the tournament with a win against a top 10 team. I was very disappointed in Stanford's play...only 6 assists??? What happened to Tara brilliant offensive planning...I guess there is a good reason why she does not want to play UConn :)

Tara (to my knowledge) has never shied away from playing anyone. Like Geno, she has always been willing to play any team, any where, anytime, unlike some other coaches we know. Doug Bruno (DePaul), and is another coach of that ilk.

Reaction Score
My comment was more about the offense from Stanford. They normally run a real good offense. As for Tennessee this season still has a long way from being over. Then next year a outstanding class comes in. Also Copper returns next year.

Next year....they have an outstanding class coming in, but that doesn't help if they don't have a coach that can coach them. And so far she has proven she is not a head coach.

Reaction Score
Diamond was playing with torn ligaments in her shooting hand, but it didn't stop her from giving all she could. Of note, there were 4 players in double figures, so that doesn't fit your description of give the ball to Diamond. Turnovers, she only had 3. She was rusty entering the season, because she was shut down over the summer. You have no idea what that young lady has endured. But yeah, keep the hate alive.
Number of points isn't germane when speaking of shots taken. Diamond took the most shots and only shot 29% . The other 3 in double figures shot 55, 40, and 27% with fewer shots taken. Perhaps more passing was in order? Also, for the season, 5 players are shooting a higher FG% than Diamond.

If you think 3 turnovers is good, well, OK. On the other hand since she is averaging almost 4 TOs a game, I suppose one can say for Diamond it was good. And, when you have more TOs than assists, what does that say?

I am not trying to say Diamond has no skills because she does. It's just that her great PR is so far out of line with what she has actually accomplished.

No hate, just facts and my perception of the game. If you want to see real hate, just go over to the Summitt or Volnation and see what has been said there about the UCONN program over time.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
Tara (to my knowledge) has never shied away from playing anyone. Like Geno, she has always been willing to play any team, any where, anytime, unlike some other coaches we know. Doug Bruno (DePaul), and is another coach of that ilk.
Generally speaking, this is true. Except, 2 years ago the Stanford - UConn annual series was suspended, at Tara's request. At the time, the commentary was around Stanford having a rebuilding season ... I think it was same time Stanford was revamping their offensive strategy and changing how they recruit. Nonetheless, the absence of a Stanford - UConn game the last season and this one is solely due to Stanford.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Next year....they have an outstanding class coming in, but that doesn't help if they don't have a coach that can coach them. And so far she has proven she is not a head coach.
Holly Warlick's impact on Lady Vol Basketball covers more than three decades, as a three-time All-America point guard (1976-80), 27 seasons as an assistant coach and from 2012 to present as a head coach who has won more games in her first four seasons than all but seven women's coaches did in the same span in the history of NCAA Division I hoops.
Also one of only two coahes to be in E8. In first four years as a head coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Diamond is likely out until the Kentucky game on 1/1, and will miss the next two games. She partially tore a ligament against APSU on Wednesday but wore a soft cast today. Will go into a hard cast.
Sorry to hear, best of luck to her for a speedy & full recovery.

Reaction Score
Holly Warlick's impact on Lady Vol Basketball covers more than three decades, as a three-time All-America point guard (1976-80), 27 seasons as an assistant coach and from 2012 to present as a head coach who has won more games in her first four seasons than all but seven women's coaches did in the same span in the history of NCAA Division I hoops.
Also one of only two coaches to be in E8. In first four years as a head coach.
She sounds like a fantastic coach. The Lady Vols are lucky to have her. Wishing her many more years in orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom