Stanford 33 USC 30 at the half | The Boneyard

Stanford 33 USC 30 at the half

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Surprising score, especially without Gemelos. Was Nneka in foul trouble?

Reaction Score
What is up with USC didnt they have a real bad loss or two even when Gemelos was healthy? Now they lose her and can hang with Stanford? Interesting to say the least.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
What is up with USC didnt they have a real bad loss or two even when Gemelos was healthy? Now they lose her and can hang with Stanford? Interesting to say the least.

from someone who knows a ton more than me about west coast -- jacki took time from another player who did rather well last year... so she may have gotten more time without a lot of disruption. Also, it's the post holiday blues?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well USC is now 5-6. rather surprising that they played Stanford so close. i wonder if anyone who posts on here saw the game and could tell us why it was so close, or maybe USC is just really improving and much better than their 5-6 record?

Reaction Score
I thought this was a trap game for us after the holidays, and we typically have tough games there. Corral went off for 21 pts. Nneka missed some bunnies and very uncharacteristic TOs (2 travels and 3 bad outlet passes). Nice game by Toni, but our 2 and 3 positions are still a mystery. We shot horribly from everywhere, but we out boarded them and Nneka and Chiney had some nice baskets at the end. Nice road win. Surprisingly, UCLA beat Cal.

box score

Reaction Score
well USC is now 5-6. rather surprising that they played Stanford so close. i wonder if anyone who posts on here saw the game and could tell us why it was so close, or maybe USC is just really improving and much better than their 5-6 record?

USC is tough at home for us. Women of Troy played A&M tight to the end, so they have the athletes, but they never seem to finish. And of course, injuries suck for them. The injury list for the Pac 12 is pretty darn long (3 for us)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USC played the exact game I thought they would. Slow it down, play a half court game, try and run your sets(which is hard against Stanford as they can defend) and do your best to limit the Cardinal to as few shots as possible. USC led 44-43 with 10+ minutes left than went ice cold and hit 1 of their next 13 shots over 8+ minutes to trail 54-46. USC cant run with Stanford and cant outrebound them, although the final rebounds werent that much different, 44-40. Both teams had poor shooting, USC 31% and Stanford 37.5%. It was definetly not the same Cardinal team I saw run all over UT. However, I was not impressed with Stanfords team except the sisters and Toni Kokenis. The bench has talent but no one has really stepped up to say I want to be in there. Samuelson seems to be the first one in at present, and she can shoot the three. Tinkle/Boothe certainly havent stepped up to replace Pederson. Stanford would struggle if anything happened to Kokenis, she has a great basketball IQ, is fast and has a good touch.

USC is thin in numbers. Only 8 players left after Jacki G went down and before she went down two of those players got less than 7 minutes a game. Two others are freshmen. However they are hustling and trying more in the past three games than at any point in the previous 8 games, except the 2nd half of their win at Gonzaga where they were a posessed team. Next season they will be strong at the 3-4-5 but very inexperienced at the guards, two freshman and a sophomore that is currently making the typical mistakes a freshmen make. I would take Engeln in a trade..........oops cant make trades in college :)
They are 5-6 with losses to ND, Stanford(8pts), Texas AM(1 pt), Georgia(6pts) and Nebraska., and a horrible loss to Ark State, 230+ RPI. Beat Gonzaga and Fresno State and some other 100+ RPI teams. Being so thin they could wear down as conference play gets deeper, or they can continue to hustle, get at least 20 wins, and make the NCAA as a 10/11 seed...........I like to dream sometimes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tara was right--it sounded like an ugly win. There was too much talent differential for Stanford to actually lose, but it sounded like an offnight and uncharacteristically poor Stanford shooting. It is an odd time to play, and upsets can happen during the holidays. I look for a 20-point margin in Palo Alto.

Reaction Score
Given the circumstamces of the 2 teams unless there were factors unknown the FINAL SCORE is shocking! I know the game is in
LA,but this is a team that beat TN by 17 a week ago< I know at home> but come on.............. I am going to check out the UCLA game they should beat them by 20-30 Shame re UCLA! This is a team that if Caldwell had stayed,they got the class that had signed,no injuries to 2 BIG players,they would have been a top 10 team. Not only that I think Caldwell had some recruitiing going for 2012 and 2013 that would have made them huge on the West Coast and Nationally. Very interested what is going to play out in TN with Pat and the transition I would think they are selling the program re the future that the Assts in place Warwick etal are goiing to be there! I do find it interesting how long it has been since they got a commitment! Shocked really,given they will have only 9 players next year! I have seen they aree recruiting 2 big Jc placers. 2013 is coming around re who will go where! I know they have heavily recruited the top 15 players in the country LOL! Really.
So if they add to the long time commitment of Elite star DAVIS with 4 other top 10 players the discussion of TNs demise become mute
I don't know why this is typing font so small:eek::eek:

Reaction Score
I thought this was a trap game for us after the holidays, and we typically have tough games there. Corral went off for 21 pts. Nneka missed some bunnies and very uncharacteristic TOs (2 travels and 3 bad outlet passes). Nice game by Toni, but our 2 and 3 positions are still a mystery. We shot horribly from everywhere, but we out boarded them and Nneka and Chiney had some nice baskets at the end. Nice road win. Surprisingly, UCLA beat Cal.

box score
I tell you Ucla beating Cal with their 2 HUGE injuries and the 2 players they did not get due to Caldwell
is shocking to me! I am going to have to look up Cal's game by game this year They have gotten in recent years
a ton of top players! I know there has been up heavel
but stilllllllllllll They are going to get beat by20-30 pts by ST

Reaction Score
USC played the exact game I thought they would. Slow it down, play a half court game, try and run your sets(which is hard against Stanford as they can defend) and do your best to limit the Cardinal to as few shots as possible. USC led 44-43 with 10+ minutes left than went ice cold and hit 1 of their next 13 shots over 8+ minutes to trail 54-46. USC cant run with Stanford and cant outrebound them, although the final rebounds werent that much different, 44-40. Both teams had poor shooting, USC 31% and Stanford 37.5%. It was definetly not the same Cardinal team I saw run all over UT. However, I was not impressed with Stanfords team except the sisters and Toni Kokenis. The bench has talent but no one has really stepped up to say I want to be in there. Samuelson seems to be the first one in at present, and she can shoot the three. Tinkle/Boothe certainly havent stepped up to replace Pederson. Stanford would struggle if anything happened to Kokenis, she has a great basketball IQ, is fast and has a good touch.

USC is thin in numbers. Only 8 players left after Jacki G went down and before she went down two of those players got less than 7 minutes a game. Two others are freshmen. However they are hustling and trying more in the past three games than at any point in the previous 8 games, except the 2nd half of their win at Gonzaga where they were a posessed team. Next season they will be strong at the 3-4-5 but very inexperienced at the guards, two freshman and a sophomore that is currently making the typical mistakes a freshmen make. I would take Engeln in a trade..........oops cant make trades in college :)
They are 5-6 with losses to ND, Stanford(8pts), Texas AM(1 pt), Georgia(6pts) and Nebraska., and a horrible loss to Ark State, 230+ RPI. Beat Gonzaga and Fresno State and some other 100+ RPI teams. Being so thin they could wear down as conference play gets deeper, or they can continue to hustle, get at least 20 wins, and make the NCAA as a 10/11 seed...........I like to dream sometimes.
OChoops - nice to hear from you and to get the update on USC. I wish them luck in their season and am looking forward to them having a better year in 12-13. Hope to see you at one of the USC games in Feb.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Hi CalifHusky,

Let me know if you are going to a USC game. Hope to see UConn in Socal in the next year or two. With LE and KML on team they should play either UCLA or USC. I cant see them playing anyone else in So Cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom